Question of the day: Whither the Gores’ war on sex, drugs, and rock and roll?

posted at 6:51 pm on July 7, 2007 by Allahpundit

An intriguing question from reader Joe H. Will Tipper be on hand today to join in the whooooooing when Akon dry humps a 12-year-old on stage or does whatever else he’s got planned to advance the culture?

Can anyone explain to me how it is that Gore during his Live Earth Event has the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Snoop Dogg and Akon at his event and how his wife Tipper who co-founded the Parents Music Resource Center opposed these types of groups? Not to mention the high profile of Akon slamming a guy at a concert and the incident with the preacher’s daughter in Haiti?

I myself was never a fan of the PMRC but the Goracle seems to have been. “She was early and she was right,” he reportedly told Oprah back in 2000 when asked about Tipper’s crusade. Ah well. New causes, new friends, I guess. Meanwhile, the Beeb’s already had to apologize on the air three times today for foul language.

Good thing they’re leftists or else this would all smell a bit hypocritical. FYI, here’s number eight on the Filthy Fifteen rocking the carbon out of the atmosphere at Wembley.

madonna.jpg

Comments

Gore’s hypocrisy is never ending. Just like his stance on Iraq has changed, because it’s no longer politically beneficial to him.

amerpundit on July 7, 2007 at 6:57 PM

The Left loves causes. They love concerts. They love fashion shows. They love pop music. They love drugs. And they love being tools.

And they love being tools of even bigger tools.

jihadwatcher on July 7, 2007 at 6:59 PM

Anyone want to take bets on how soon archeology determines that there were similar blow-out concerts in Rome just before the Visigoths and Vandals swept down from the North?

When do we get “Rock against jihad?”

(Holds breath)

Anton on July 7, 2007 at 7:01 PM

Allah

Scoobie is rhyming slang. Scoobie Doo = Clue.

Thought you should know.

Martin

Martin on July 7, 2007 at 7:01 PM

“it can’t happen here”

–Frank Zappa

Parley on July 7, 2007 at 7:13 PM

“The BBC was forced to apologise three times for bad language, from Phil Collins, Black Eyed Peas and Chris Rock.”

Phil Collins? Mr. Clean? What on earth could he have said that needed to be beeped by the Beep?

Ed Driscoll on July 7, 2007 at 7:17 PM

Don’t you stupid conservatives understand yet!? Having degenerates head up your “global warming awareness” concert is a small price to pay, when solar activity causes slight variations in global climate we’re all going to die because we drive cars! It’s the same justification the global warming crusaders can use when they insist they must fly around the world to spread awareness… you know, because somehow people just wouldn’t be aware enough if Gore were to lead by example and instead of flying back and forth from NY to LA doing all the talk shows, he would appear via web came using high speed internet. A one two punch, the publicity stunt would get a lot of media attention and if he was a true believer he’d feel obligated to do this. It’s like Coulter said – at least now we know he’s not stupid, he’s just a liar, and doesn’t really believe his own crap.

By the way, how does this concert benefit anyone, even if global warming weren’t a hoax? I mean, is it really making anyone “aware” of something they weren’t aware of? Those in attendance are already idiots who bought the thing hook line and sinker, so who cares… I suppose it’s supposed to get press which will call attention to the issue. Well, if they had any real concern they’d have canceled the show at the last minute, refunded money for any tickets sold, and said “We planned this all along. We can’t by hypocrites and leave massive carbon footprints just to have these concerts while telling you to sell your Jeep. Now, we spread awareness, but lead by example by staying home!” Again, leading by example and a publicity stunt that would get even more attention.

Stupid? No. Liars? Yes!

RightWinged on July 7, 2007 at 7:20 PM

Here we go again, confusing an important issue with facts and questions that just get in the way of the issue.

Liam on July 7, 2007 at 7:21 PM

The PRMC are despicable. What’s the point of banning words?People will use profanity or they won’t. Michelle has done more to try and change the culture than Tipper and her blanket ban.

aengus on July 7, 2007 at 7:22 PM

Maybe he plans to dry-hump Tipper on stage and she’s all excited about it. I mean, lookin at old Al, you can’t think she’s been having much of a good time…..EVER!

Kowboy on July 7, 2007 at 7:29 PM

Whither the Gores’ war on sex, drugs, and rock and roll?

As an enterprise, its prophetability just wasn’t profitable.

Dusty on July 7, 2007 at 7:51 PM

Good one, Dusty.

RushBaby on July 7, 2007 at 7:57 PM

I was under the impression that Tipper Gore’s beef was with young kids having access to this type of music and lyrics and that she wanted the music labeled with a rating system for adults. I can’t argue with that. I don’t let my kid see R rated films or even many PG13 or purchase music I know is overtly sexual or violent.

Blake on July 7, 2007 at 8:04 PM

BONG HITS FOR GLOBAL… uh, what was I talking about, again?

profitsbeard on July 7, 2007 at 8:07 PM

Dude! Wait… what?

SilverStar830 on July 7, 2007 at 8:08 PM

After his performance, Akon was asked backstage how he got involved with Live Earth. His answer was that the Goracle himself asked if he’d be interested at some event the two happened to be at together. Did I hear that correct? Al Gore personally asked Akon to be a part of the “show”? Bizarro world, indeed.

Pitter09 on July 7, 2007 at 8:10 PM

BONG HITS FOR GLOBAL HUMOR APPRECIATION

profitsbeard on July 7, 2007 at 8:07 PM

Finished that for ya!

infidel4life on July 7, 2007 at 8:16 PM

Hate to use the words here but “Hot Air” is all that the Gore band is playing. Phonies each and every one of them. Just remember what Rush says, “FOLLOW THE MONEY!”

NEMETI IN SYRACUSE on July 7, 2007 at 8:23 PM

The Gores went groveling to showbiz 20 years ago, before Al started running for POTUS.

Karl on July 7, 2007 at 8:24 PM

Gore: Oh don’t get your panties in a bunch dear, it’s all art!

And besides we’re not saving children, we’re saving the earth and making me look impotent.

Speakup on July 7, 2007 at 8:27 PM

“The torture never stops”
Frank Zappa

Hening on July 7, 2007 at 8:34 PM

I’m a lot older than that and I can’t get an uncensored Public Enemy album even though I’ve been searching for six years. It’s either the parent’s responsibility or the government’s responsibility.

The Motion Picture Association of America film rating board does not deign to disclose the criteria it uses to judge whether a film should be rated R or PG13. They’re the European Commission of the American film industry.

aengus on July 7, 2007 at 9:00 PM

That’s a contradiction in terms. You say you don’t argue with Tipper deciding what your children can see or listen to and then a sentence later you say that you decide what your children can see or listen to. Which is it?

aengus on July 7, 2007 at 9:05 PM

The Left loves causes.

jihadwatcher on July 7, 2007 at 6:59 PM

Exactly. Living a normal life is not enough for them. They have to join a a cause that challenges the status quo so they can feel important. It’s the only thing that gives their little lives meaning.

infidel4life on July 7, 2007 at 9:07 PM

Update:

The article now says that the Beeb had to apologize fourtimes for bad language.

I was taught in school that you needed clear language to express clear thoughts. So what kinds of thoughts are these global warming hypocrits trying to express?

Enquiring minds want to know.

rmgraha on July 7, 2007 at 9:20 PM

aengus on July 7, 2007 at 9:05 PM

You can’t see the difference between a parent deciding what their children can or cannot do and Al Gore deciding that?

If you cannot, then that is the real contradiction here.

The Machine on July 7, 2007 at 9:25 PM

Staging a worldwide concert series to combat global warming is like having an orgy to combat AIDS.

I’ve been to 150+ concerts in my short life and I can’t think of a more immediate and effective way to ruin a local ecology than having a tens of thousands of drunks wade through it and leave their garbage and waste everywhere. Ask anybody who lives near any music venue, large or small.

That being said, some of the commentary herein sounds like its coming from brittle, angry loners who are immune to having fun.

I mean, is every artist who performs a “degenerate?” Is it possible that some of those fans in attendance just want to go hear the music they love without having been suckered into the whole global warming sham?

I personally LOVE Jimi Hendrix, Ray Charles, Public Enemy, Bob Marley and the Red Hot Chilli Peppers? Each of these artists has been considered subversive, anti-establishment and otherwise undesirable. I like my movies just as obnoxious and edgy.

But I also enjoy the social commentary of Rush, Laura and Dennis Prager. And I do see the Live Earth for what it is. It is an excuse to party and promote Al Gore’s imminent run for 08 withouth creating obvious conflicts of interest.

Does being conservative mean you must loathe any artistic reference to ideas which may be deemed less than holy? What am I supposed to do with favorites like pre 2000 Clint Eastwood and geniuses like Johnny Cash? Do I avoid going to Hannity’s Freedom concert because 40% of the people have been divorced, fornicated or cheated on their taxes at some point?

I like the right if for no other reason, than to avoid the whiners on the left. But sometimes I feel like I’m surrounded by grumpy old men.

The Race Card on July 7, 2007 at 9:46 PM

If only we had the technology to power our society with liberal hypocrisy, an utterly inexhaustible resource.

ReubenJCogburn on July 7, 2007 at 9:48 PM

Wait a minute! I asked the Tipper Gore question in another thread! Oh, well…at least I’m not the only one who can see the ridiculousness of it all!

SouthernGent on July 7, 2007 at 9:49 PM

Alright, somebody call the bullpen and tell Dee Snider to warm up……

liquidflorian on July 7, 2007 at 9:49 PM

Whither the Gores’ war on sex, drugs, and rock and roll?”

One word answer: hypocrisy

ToddonCapeCod on July 7, 2007 at 9:54 PM

Alright, somebody call the bullpen and tell Dee Snider to warm up……

liquidflorian on July 7, 2007 at 9:49 PM

Yeah, he struck out the side against the Goredroids in 1985.

“We’re not gonna take it!”

infidel4life on July 7, 2007 at 10:00 PM

If you cannot, then that is the real contradiction here

I think you midunderstood me. I was attempting to argue that there is a substantial difference between a parent deciding what their children can or cannot do and Al Gore deciding that. Essentially we agree with each other 100% unless I have misunderstood you.

aengus on July 7, 2007 at 10:06 PM

slow news day?

Nonfactor on July 7, 2007 at 10:08 PM

“You are a Fluke of the Universe
you have no right to be here
and whether you can hear it or not
the Universe
is laughing behind your back!”
from the Deterioratta / FireSign Theater i think

lobosan5 on July 7, 2007 at 10:08 PM

Don’t you get the feeling that the Global Warmers have totally jumped the shark? Has jumping the shark jumped the shark too?

Mojave Mark on July 7, 2007 at 10:09 PM

Some vintage GnR would be nice before Axl tried cornrow approach to hiding his baldness.

Betweeen Tipper Gore and Gore III burning rocket fuel in a Prius, it’s been a rough week for the least eco friendly household in Nashville.

The Race Card on July 7, 2007 at 10:09 PM

Just to clarify: I think parents should decide what their children see/listen to etc. The Gores want to regulate this process to protect the “chidren” (i.e. everybody) through legislation and lobby groups. This is a mistaken approach as it removes individual resposibility from the equation.

aengus on July 7, 2007 at 10:15 PM

slow news day?

Pretty much.

aengus on July 7, 2007 at 10:16 PM

Whither the Gores’ war on sex, drugs, and rock and roll?

Well, once you’ve sold your soul once, I guess its easy to do it again.

CP on July 7, 2007 at 10:18 PM

slow news day?

Only for hypocrisy apologists.

Speakup on July 7, 2007 at 10:26 PM

Yeah, but now, Tippers rockin’ with Kanye West and Akon. Ain’t nuthin’ wrong with their music, huh Tipper?

DfDeportation on July 7, 2007 at 10:31 PM

What the “kids” haven’t figured out yet is that once they give AlGore what he wants he’ll own their souls and will move to regulate both their music and their lives out of existence. They’re young and stupid and haven’t figured out that the government isn’t your friend… evah.

Buzzy on July 7, 2007 at 10:35 PM

The Tipper and Al “kiss” at the 2000 convention inspired Akon to perform the way he does in his act. For me it meant three years in a monastery in Tibet to purge the image.

Bradky on July 7, 2007 at 10:38 PM

Bradky on July 7, 2007 at 10:38 PM

LOL, sounds like you could both use some therapy.

infidel4life on July 7, 2007 at 10:42 PM

The Gore’s hypocrisy is more than I can handle.

congsan on July 7, 2007 at 10:49 PM

How did the Gores arrive at the concert?

SouthernGent on July 7, 2007 at 10:57 PM

Has jumping the shark jumped the shark too?

niiiiiiiiiiice

urbancenturion on July 7, 2007 at 11:13 PM

How do liberal stand their hypocrisy?

Never mind. Pretty amusing, though.

Professor Blather on July 7, 2007 at 11:18 PM

Put wind turbines in front of Gore’s mouth and you could power Tennessee.

(Put one near Clinton’z zipper and you could light up the whole West Coast.)

profitsbeard on July 7, 2007 at 11:25 PM

How did the Gores arrive at the concert?

SouthernGent on July 7, 2007 at 10:57 PM

Two tabs of orange sunshine.

infidel4life on July 7, 2007 at 11:33 PM

When I consider the politics of those who create and perform the most popular and profitable music…, I can’t help but wonder if the parents of the 50s weren’t right… It’s pretty obvious that Country music artists are patriotic and passionate about the heritage we share as Americans…

I’ve never been a big fan of the country music scene and love my Rock & Roll, but it’s impossible to listen to anything new without thinking how the artists are nothing more than mini Barbara Streisands and George Clooneys… Sure makes me re-think my discriminating tastes in music.

Rugged Individual on July 7, 2007 at 11:54 PM

Good link, Karl. Enjoyed your blog, too.

PattyAnn on July 8, 2007 at 12:02 AM

Thanks, PattyAnn. Yay, me!

Karl on July 8, 2007 at 1:16 AM

SilverStar830 on July 7, 2007 at 7:10 PM

That should have come with a warning.

Connie on July 8, 2007 at 1:56 AM

Akon I no that nigger (not very PC of me) you talk about, jumping on a young woman on stage well damn its Gore and nothing more.

American8298 on July 8, 2007 at 3:51 AM

Two tabs of orange sunshine
I wish for some LSD those were the days of my life

American8298 on July 8, 2007 at 3:56 AM

A ratings system, to match that of motion pictures, for other artforms is perfectly acceptable. It doesn’t constitute censorship, other than preventing a minor from purchasing overtly obscene material, which is a proper thing.

It is the parent’s responsibility to control what their minor children are exposed to. If there are no rules in place preventing a minor child from walking out of a store with unacceptable material, then the parent has no such control.

Kids can’t buy liquor, cigarettes, or adult “literature”, why should they be allowed to purchase equally profane and obscene music or video games?

Freelancer on July 8, 2007 at 4:20 AM

American8298 on July 8, 2007 at 3:51 AM

I hope you enjoyed your short stay at HotAir bud… Allah will be swiftly showing you the door, I’m sure. And from a quick web search, it appears you didn’t offer much but calls for invading Pakistan and handing it over to Iran anyway, amid a bunch of sentences (including the one I quote here) that don’t make any sense at all, as if you’re on an insane amount of drugs, a small child, or retarded. So you won’t be missed.

Anyone else smell a lib, or more likely an America hater from Europe or South America who decided to join up as “one of us” during the last influx of new commenters, only to allow their poor English to reveal that they’re the type who comes, pretending to be one of us, just to make us look bad?

RightWinged on July 8, 2007 at 4:34 AM

Actually, on second thought… perhaps American8298 is actually Rosie O’Donnell’s HotAir handle… his writing style is eerily similar, but not enough “u” instead of “you”s, and “r” instead of “are”s.

RightWinged on July 8, 2007 at 4:35 AM

like I said not very PC of me
Kick me kick your base I would kick you Rightwinged

American8298 on July 8, 2007 at 5:01 AM

In a face to face argument
I would win sir.

American8298 on July 8, 2007 at 5:07 AM

like I said not very PC of me
Kick me kick your base I would kick you Rightwinged

American8298 on July 8, 2007 at 5:01 AM

Again… WFT are you talking about? Kick my base? I don’t have a base, and I didn’t kick you either? ….. ?

But again, I’ll repeat:

RightWinged on July 8, 2007 at 4:34 AM

But to clarify, it wasn’t un-PC of you.. it was a racist comment that I have no doubt will mean your immediate bannination as soon as Allah sees it.

RightWinged on July 8, 2007 at 6:06 AM

American8298 on July 8, 2007 at 3:51 AM

American, typing out your thoughts after the vodka bottle is empty is not a good idea.

buu-bye

SouthernPride on July 8, 2007 at 7:57 AM

ba buy

American8298 on July 8, 2007 at 7:59 AM

American8298 on July 8, 2007 at 3:51 AM

buu-bye

SouthernPride on July 8, 2007 at 7:57 AM

Sorry, this was my comment, logged in on my wifes computer this morning.

conservnut on July 8, 2007 at 8:00 AM

Good morning sir its been a long night

American8298 on July 8, 2007 at 8:02 AM

I too wondered if ol’ Tipper was monitoring the lyrics of the bands playing at her husband’s eco concerts. I guess when the cause is deemed leftist and puts money into her pockets, then hypocrisy is never an issue. Those crazy liberals.

lynnv on July 8, 2007 at 8:06 AM

As it is with most liberal politicians. It’s all about power. They don’t believe any of their own tripe. It is just a means to an end. I acually respect the real idiots like Dennis K. more. Stupid and misguided yes, but he stands for what he believes in.

It’s also why I voted twice for Bush. I may not agree with everything he promotes (immigration, spending) but I admire the fact that he sticks to his guns on issues he really believes in.

I often said during the last few elections. If Bill Clinton had to make a decision and one way would be good for the country and the other good for Bill….Guess which way he would alway go. Can’t say that about “W”

conservnut on July 8, 2007 at 8:15 AM

Just so AP doesn’t have trouble finding it when he wakes up, one of our new friends felt the need to use the N-word, without any justifiable context (in addition to repeatedly making comments that lead us to believe he’s either on a massive amount of drugs or some strange foreigner lib here trying to make us look bad)

Anyway, here’s the ban worthy post

American8298 on July 8, 2007 at 3:51 AM

RightWinged on July 8, 2007 at 9:31 AM

Ah, the PMRC. That’s taking me back to the heady days of my youth. Thanks to the ratings system, music is more vulgar than ever. It’s also nowhere near as good.

Krydor on July 8, 2007 at 10:57 AM

And lo, it came to pass that the racist was banned. And the people rejoiced, for it was good.

American8298 will no longer be joining us, needless to say.

Allahpundit on July 8, 2007 at 12:27 PM

America8298, you can insult Akon all you want, I’m sure that punk deserves it, but there’s no need to use racist language to do it. You don’t come into somebody else’s house and pull that crap.

Anyway, here’s the ban worthy post

American8298 on July 8, 2007 at 3:51 AM

RightWinged on July 8, 2007 at 9:31 AM

Rightwinged, in the past I’ve seen Allah ask that people use the tips@hotair.com address to let them know about clearly offensive posts like that, since it’s about impossible to keep track of every post on the site. I already made the tip in this case, but I wanted to let people know so Allah doesn’t end up with 30 tips for the same comment.

I’d like to suggest that we all try to get in the habit of doing that (tipping/posting about the tip to inform others) as a way to help police ourselves in cases of offensive behavior.

ReubenJCogburn on July 8, 2007 at 12:36 PM

Heh. Looks like I should have hit ‘Refresh’ before I posted.

ReubenJCogburn on July 8, 2007 at 12:37 PM

ReubenJCogburn on July 8, 2007 at 12:36 PM

Apparently washing down two hits of orange sunshine with a bottle of vodka clouds your judgement.

repvoter on July 8, 2007 at 12:49 PM

God bless the first amendment. God bless the power of self-policed web communities.

It’s almost counterintuitive how quickly civility is lost on many of the most popular liberal blogs and forums. I think that the left has the unfortunate luxury of racial/gender righteousness. This has caused the muscles which should normally make one’s head swivel to atrophy.

Nobody responds to patently offensive rhetoric with shock. Doing so would infringe on the right to be offensive. The left’s racism is either cast as ironic or satirical…but never heartfelt.

I do think the right still stands to be somewhat enlightened on issues of race and culture. But I believe as the conservative base skews younger, that will change. The conservative values and mores will remain without the vestiges of “tradition” with ties to racism.

Anyway, thank you for banning that idiot. He would be revered or ignored over at HuffPo, Kos, etc.

The Race Card on July 8, 2007 at 1:15 PM

ReubenJCogburn on July 8, 2007 at 12:36 PM

Yeah, I thought about emailing him on it, but I didn’t want to seem like I was whining and I was banking on hope that AP would swing back through the thread, as I think he probably had just crashed for the night before that clown made his comment.

The only regret I now have is still not knowing what he meant by:

Kick me kick your base I would kick you Rightwinged

American8298 on July 8, 2007 at 5:01 AM

Though I don’t suspect he knew what that meant either… Virtually none of his comments made any sense at all, it was really strange.

RightWinged on July 8, 2007 at 2:45 PM

I was pretty sure American8298′s days were numbered as soon as I saw him post his random crap last week–unfortunately some screwheads insist on wasting their time and ours. But I agree, I’d rather fight my own battles too, but unfortunately I can’t be the boot that kicks his ass out of here. I can give a head’s-up to the guy who can, though, and the sooner trash like that is taken out, the better it is for Hot Air.

ReubenJCogburn on July 8, 2007 at 3:14 PM

Agreed, American8298 was an embarrassment to this site, and I think more likely than not that was his intent.

RightWinged on July 9, 2007 at 1:45 AM