Video: The world’s most effective anti-speeding PSA

posted at 12:34 pm on July 3, 2007 by Allahpundit

They tried showing them images of human remains smeared all over the highway but that didn’t help. Then they accused them of having tiny schwanzes. Jackpot:

The pinkie-wagging campaign theme is the result of a six-month research process involving a test audience of drivers aged 17-50, a third of whom had recent speeding convictions. Researchers discovered that young drivers had become inured to the horrific images often used in road-safety education campaigns. The test group’s response to the new ads was “overwhelmingly positive,” says Whelan, and the pinkie campaign was the only one that resonated with the majority of those surveyed.

There’s no aspect of male behavior where this particular jab wouldn’t resonate, is there? From failing to pay child support to leaving the toilet seat up, just wave that pinky, ladies. Satisfaction guaranteed.

I’m tempted to say that the guys who really deserve the pinky treatment are the ones who show excessive interest in showy status symbol gadgets like, oh, say, the iPhone.

But let’s just leave that one alone, shall we?

Comments

You know what they say about guys who go the speed limit right? Yeah. I drive the speed limit. ‘Nuff said.

Vaporman87 on July 3, 2007 at 12:44 PM

Hey, will this work with the Islamofascists? Worth a try!

sharinlite on July 3, 2007 at 12:44 PM

So that must mean that my grandfather is hung like a horse….

Tim Burton on July 3, 2007 at 12:46 PM

I think that’s British.

Which would make it even funnier because their speed limits are very, very low and their enforcement is insane.

Like “points” violations that threaten your license for 2 mph over the limit, and speed cameras everywhere.

I guess maybe all that isn’t working so well.

Merovign on July 3, 2007 at 12:46 PM

I’ll be waiting for the pinkie-waving Emoticon…

Of course having a positive reaction to an ad ain’t the same thing as deciding to drive safely, is it?

MamaAJ on July 3, 2007 at 12:47 PM

I kind of doubt the effectiveness of the campaign. Think about how young males respond to humiliating comments.

Not to mention the fact that it depends of young females to exercise a moderating influence on young males.

Merovign on July 3, 2007 at 12:50 PM

I drive a ’95 Ford Escort wagon on its second motor. Its top speed is just above the speed limit.

I’M DA JUGGERNAUT, B-TCH!!

CurtZHP on July 3, 2007 at 12:53 PM

How will this discourage speeding by young women?

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on July 3, 2007 at 12:54 PM

OK, I’m confused.

So just what exactly was Austin Powers’ Dr. Evil trying to say?

inviolet on July 3, 2007 at 12:55 PM

Atilla:

Young women never speed. Nope. Never happens. **choke**

inviolet on July 3, 2007 at 12:55 PM

So that must mean that my grandfather is hung like a horse….

Tim Burton on July 3, 2007 at 12:46 PM

You just had to go there, didn’t you….

heatherrc77 on July 3, 2007 at 12:56 PM

H

ow will this discourage speeding by young women?

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on July 3, 2007 at 12:54 PM

Seriously, My daughter and her girl friends were all speed freaks. What would the guys response be to girl speeders? A drooping breast mime?

Guardian on July 3, 2007 at 12:58 PM

Less is more.

Mojave Mark on July 3, 2007 at 12:59 PM

When I speed, it isn’t to show off.

It’s to get someplace faster.

John from OPFOR on July 3, 2007 at 1:02 PM

I can’t drive 55…middle finger!

soulsirkus on July 3, 2007 at 1:04 PM

That explains why my “pinkie” gets a lot bigger for about an hour after I get a speeding ticket.

Immolate on July 3, 2007 at 1:05 PM

In the age of RFID, GPS and black boxes – soon you will have to follow the speed limit or get ticketed after the fact. The police will just be able to review the data from your black box and – VOILA! – a ticket for speeding today, a ticket for blasting a red light yesterday, and a ticket for an illegal left turn last week.

Not to mention the grief if your insurance company demands a yearly review of the data.

So, it’s not the pinky from pedestrians you have to worry about, it the big middle of technology that is soon to happen.

Timothy S. Carlson on July 3, 2007 at 1:11 PM

Wouldn’t bother me in the least. What do they they think I am holding the accelerator down with when I am going 90?

(Hint, it’s not my foot)

Drew on July 3, 2007 at 1:12 PM

Olberkind, Matthews, J. Wilson…how’s their speeding?

Entelechy on July 3, 2007 at 1:13 PM

Timothy S. Carlson on July 3, 2007 at 1:11 PM

You’re right. The technology already exists and is in use by some car rental companies. One guy got a speeding “surcharge” when he returned the car (black box), and another guy was charged an exorbinant fee because he crossed a state line (GPS tracking).

Also, data from black boxes has already been used in criminal and civil cases to show rate of decelleration, seatbelt use, speed, location, etc. Some have contested the the ownership of the black box data. Does it belong to the owner of the car or not?

Scary stuff.

BacaDog on July 3, 2007 at 1:24 PM

Oh, forgot. It’s a stupid ad.

I can see testosterone drenched lads wagging their pinkies at each other while they drag race. Come on be-itch! Show me what you got!

BacaDog on July 3, 2007 at 1:28 PM

That’s why I have rear ejection seats.

Dusty on July 3, 2007 at 1:28 PM

“Here he comes, here comes Speed Racer, he’s a demon on wheels…..”

(I can’t be the only one humming that now…)

Tru2my2 on July 3, 2007 at 1:30 PM

Can you imagine an similar campaign aimed at women stating oh…I don’t know…say…women who speed have big butts? Or, more aprapos, women who speed are fridgid? Imagine the outcry! The rage! The selfrightious idignation. The preening polititians calling for the firing of the entire ad agency staff and officials that payed for the ad. Oh, and don’t forget…Impeach Bush!

This peniphobia is seewwwww TIRESOME!

ronsfi on July 3, 2007 at 1:32 PM

Good thing the boss didn’t get you the iPhone, eh? :o)

oakpack on July 3, 2007 at 1:35 PM

In certain circles, that would be a compliment. (Think Sir Mix-a-Lot.)

baldilocks on July 3, 2007 at 1:40 PM

When I speed, it isn’t to show off.

It’s to get someplace faster.

John from OPFOR on July 3, 2007 at 1:02 PM

I’ll match and raise. I drive 80mph because… I. HATE. DRIVING. That means the quicker I get where I’m going the better. So get out of the effing way.

Editor on July 3, 2007 at 1:41 PM

So…how many pinkie signs did the dancing stormtrooper get?

James on July 3, 2007 at 1:44 PM

“…Youothabruthascantdeny…”

I cannot tell a lie….

ronsfi on July 3, 2007 at 1:45 PM

Editor on July 3, 2007 at 1:41 PM

About left lane drivers, AMEN!!!

baldilocks on July 3, 2007 at 1:45 PM

You wanna know how I make my schwanz 12 inches long?

I fold it in half.

Ba-dum.

saint kansas on July 3, 2007 at 1:45 PM

So that must mean that my grandfather is hung like a horse….

Tim Burton on July 3, 2007 at 12:46 PM

I guess that old guy I blew by on the hwy today is hung like Elephant with elephantiasis!

Ladies, wave all you want. Mine is still bigger than yours!

What do we wave for the ladies that speed? The two finger peace symbol?

VikingGoneWild on July 3, 2007 at 1:46 PM

Cue the John Edwards campaign video mashup in three…..two….one….

Steve LLamabutcher on July 3, 2007 at 1:48 PM

AP is feelin the need for an iphone hard isn’t he?

Ron Paul wants you to have one; that’s enough for me!

lorien1973 on July 3, 2007 at 1:54 PM

And all these years I thought my wife called me ‘Pinky’ as a term of affection…. ;(

Limerick on July 3, 2007 at 1:59 PM

I drive a ‘95 Ford Escort wagon on its second motor. Its top speed is just above the speed limit.

CurtZHP on July 3, 2007 at 12:53 PM

uh, why? you must really love that car. :)

pullingmyhairout on July 3, 2007 at 2:05 PM

self-busted :)

Kevin M on July 3, 2007 at 2:07 PM

This isn’t anything new. My wife has been using the phrase “he’s driving his dic#” for years. She usually reserves this for guys my age driving corvettes or offroad trucks you need a ladder to get into.

By the way, she says girls don’t wave the “pinky” just for guys in fast cars…a 50 year old guy with a combover gets the same treatment.

repvoter on July 3, 2007 at 2:08 PM

How will this discourage speeding by young women?

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on July 3, 2007 at 12:54 PM

Relatively, the same way. Actually, I would imagine that saying that a women has a small penis would carry more shame than saying a man has a small penis.

Weight of Glory on July 3, 2007 at 2:15 PM

AP is feelin the need for an iphone hard isn’t he?

Ron Paul wants you to have one; that’s enough for me!

lorien1973 on July 3, 2007 at 1:54 PM

Ron Paul could probably buy each of his supporters one without hurting his finances too much.

James on July 3, 2007 at 2:17 PM

How will this discourage speeding by young women?

Exactly. I think the guys should come up with a hand sign of their own. I don’t wanna be graphic, but I’m thinking a big circle made with the thumb and forefingers of both hands.
It just pisses me off big time when males are attacked like this and it’s just fine and dandy.

SuperManGreenLantern on July 3, 2007 at 2:17 PM

Hey, will this work with the Islamofascists? Worth a try!

sharinlite on July 3, 2007 at 12:44 PM

Probably not. Failings in this area seem to be the root of Islamofascism.

ej_pez on July 3, 2007 at 2:17 PM

My point exactly.

SuperManGreenLantern on July 3, 2007 at 2:19 PM

So do you just draw a big circle in the air for women that speed ?

Maxx on July 3, 2007 at 2:21 PM

SuperManGreenLantern on July 3, 2007 at 2:17 PM

How about a visual interpretation of “Smell my elbow?”

James on July 3, 2007 at 2:23 PM

How about a sign for women that talk on their mobile phones while driving…….at any speed.

As far as the clip goes, do I now have to get a radar detector for pinky wavers?

Mallard T. Drake on July 3, 2007 at 2:26 PM

They could have also included guys who drive those big 4-feet-off-the-ground trucks, and particularly the ones with the fake testicles hanging off the back bumper.

Those dudes are DEFINATELY compensating for something.

DaveS on July 3, 2007 at 2:33 PM

Whatever works. I drive on I-81 several times a year for hundreds of miles, and when its raining, and there is an 18 wheeler in front of and one behind me, I don’t appreciate some jerk whipping by at 90 mph.

If you are sharing the road with me, I need you to obey the speed limits for my safety.

VolMagic on July 3, 2007 at 2:40 PM

VolMagic on July 3, 2007 at 2:40 PM

Your right, butt-heads that speed excessively are real safety hazards, but advising people to give the pinky wave is likely to get the “pinky waver” shot these days. So… once again only the dumbest ideas are promoted.

Almost everyone has cell phones these days, just call the cops on speeders… and don’t be waving fingers, or at least do so at your own risk.

Maxx on July 3, 2007 at 2:47 PM

VolMagic on July 3, 2007 at 2:40 PM

If you each stay in your lane, there’s no problem. Did any of the ‘jerks’ ever cause an accident? Different vehicles are safe at different speeds. CurtZHP’s Escort probably doesn’t have the same handling limits as your car, and your car might not have the same handling limits as my car. I might have tires more suited to gripping wet pavement on my car than you have on your car, but you may be more experienced at driving in adverse weather conditions than I am. Nobody can say what an absolute safety limit is…you have to rely on your own judgement as a driver for determining your own limits, adjusting for your experience level and your equipment. The natural consequence of that is that you don’t determine what the limits are for anyone else because there’s too much you don’t know about them.

James on July 3, 2007 at 2:57 PM

I drive on I-81 several times a year for hundreds of miles

License, registration, and proof of carbon offsets, please.

saint kansas on July 3, 2007 at 3:18 PM

Anyway, It isn’t the size of your car that matters…
It’s how hard you drive it.

ronsfi on July 3, 2007 at 3:20 PM

Hey did I see that one guy’s pinky start to grow as he shook it more than three times?

FLLaw33870 on July 3, 2007 at 3:21 PM

Maybe he is just a grower and not a show-er.

FLLaw33870 on July 3, 2007 at 3:23 PM

You just had to go there, didn’t you….

heatherrc77 on July 3, 2007 at 12:56 PM

Bwahahahahaha….

It just doesn’t explain me…. :-p

Tim Burton on July 3, 2007 at 3:26 PM

I think that’s British.

It says at the other end of the link that it’s Australian. It certainly doesn’t look like Britain.

Which would make it even funnier because their speed limits are very, very low

Not true: 70mph on motorways and ‘dual carrigeways’, 60 on ‘single carrigeways’ (including farm tracks with nowhere to pass!), and 30 or 40 in most built-up areas.

their enforcement is insane.

You have a point there, but it varies from place to place.

jic on July 3, 2007 at 3:59 PM

Gee, I thought it would have been the Bears annoucing they were cutting Tank Johnson for the June 22, 2007 traffic stop where “Terry Darnell Johnson, was pulled over at 3:30 a.m. on suspicion of driving 40 mph in a 25 mph zone”. Oh, did you catch the part where he was SOBER? Hmm? Master McCaskey – you candy ass loser?

dm60462 on July 3, 2007 at 4:58 PM

I guess this means that little swivel the guy did when he almost lost control was a perfect dramatization of the saying, “It ain’t the meat it’s the motion…”

smellthecoffee on July 3, 2007 at 6:23 PM

This is funny, in a sad sort of way. Try commuting on i280 from SJ to SF; if you’re moving under 75 you’ll get eaten alive.

Whatsmore, I’ve never had any complaints about my manhood and I routinely enjoy the bay area’s mountian roads at a brisk pace. This PSA will fail miserably because it will give guys with decent rides and nothing to prove, something to prove. How about advertising a *track day instead?

(*The “hooning” in this PSA is also generally also reserved for abandoned industrial complexes, open fields, backwoods logging roads, and/or track days.)

liquidflorian on July 3, 2007 at 7:18 PM

uh, why? you must really love that car. :)

pullingmyhairout on July 3, 2007 at 2:05 PM

It’s cheaper to keep it running than make payments on a new one. Still beats walking!

CurtZHP on July 3, 2007 at 9:45 PM

James on July 3, 2007 at 2:57 PM

You have a point about different car designs. Where your fatal error is, is that you have less reaction time when someone else makes a mistake.

boomer on July 3, 2007 at 9:55 PM

Oh I forgot, people often don’t know their own limits. That’s why we have so many teens kill themselves with their cars ever year.

boomer on July 3, 2007 at 9:58 PM

Good thing the boss didn’t get you the iPhone, eh? :o)

Just to make one thing clear…If my soon to be ex employer brings one of those things in one day and expects me to do the integration it to his computer and e-mail, I’m on a flight to California the very next day to put a foot up Steve Jobs’ backside…After 4 new blackberries in four years, I’ve had it.

52Ranger on July 3, 2007 at 10:45 PM

I’m a true believer. My old (high school) boyfriend drove like Ted Kennedy and never obeyed the speed limit (“too cool for rules”). Today I realize 3 things: 1) I’m lucky to be alive 2) thankful I dumped him and 3) his ex-wife was telling the truth when she said he was hung like… a thumbtack.

NightmareOnKStreet on July 4, 2007 at 12:29 AM

So do you just draw a big circle in the air for women that speed ?

Umm..how can I put this nicely….the little pinky means the guy has a little thingy…the circly drawn with your fingers (aimed at a woman) means she has a large..umm…coo-coo.

SuperManGreenLantern on July 4, 2007 at 1:23 AM

James on July 3, 2007 at 2:57 PM

That’s valid all the way up to the point of someone who has no ability to judge where their personal or vehicular limits are, at which point operating too close to your own allows them to put them AND YOU at serious risk. The argument, so commonly made, that only you know how fast you can drive safely, falsely presumes that you are operating in a vacuum which doesn’t exist.

I was stationed in Memphis, TN for several years. While the drivers there aren’t quite the worst in the nation, they provide a broad array of challenges. I put it this way: The best way to stay safe on Memphis highways is to look around at the other vehicles near you, decide which of them and what move could cause you the most trouble, and then watch for it, because it is imminent. This is something you CANNOT do if you are operating close to your own safety limit, and it only takes once.

Freelancer on July 4, 2007 at 1:41 AM

There used to be not upper speed limit in Montana. The cited based on the basic speed law.

I used to drive at 90 and 100 MPH all the time on the interstate. I was never cited even with state Highway Patrol passing me when doing those safe for the conditions speeds.

Then the pencil pushers enacted speed limits. Guess what happened?

The accident rate skyrocketed. Speed Limits are designed for one thing, revenue generation.

ScottyDog on July 5, 2007 at 12:06 PM

try this again
********************

There used to be no upper speed limit in Montana. They cited based on the basic speed law.

Then the pencil pushers enacted speed limits. Guess what happened?

ScottyDog on July 5, 2007 at 12:06 PM