New Vent: NBC’s Emotional Terrorism

posted at 9:04 pm on July 3, 2007 by Allahpundit

On May 17, NBC reported a blockbuster exclusive on the superiority of Dragon Skin body armor over Interceptor, the body armor that the US Army issues to soldiers in combat zones. But NBC’s story has a major flaw: It’s wrong about nearly everything.

Download for your iPod

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Astounding.

mythicknight on July 3, 2007 at 7:18 PM

Here we go again. NBC has deliberately broadcast a phony report to show the armed forces in a bad light.
This is a disgrace and they should be pressured to give an explanation as to why this report was broadcast.
I saw the original program when it was broadcast on the Nightly News and I thought at the time that the ‘bastards are at it again’.
NBC is anti-Bush, anti-military, and ,yes, anti-American.
The public should get an apology from NBC and some heads should roll over there. They should start with Brian Williams and Lisa Myers and any others who were involved in this Dan Ratherish type programming.

OBX Pete on July 3, 2007 at 7:22 PM

Good Vent Bryan,

I continue to be constantly amazed by NBC and the rest of the MSM and their agenda driven reporting.

Keep calling them out!

conservnut on July 3, 2007 at 7:23 PM

What’s 20 lbs of extra weight when you are trying to get out of the line of fire? If you wore Dragon Skin you better hope it can stop a bullet cause you damn sure ain’t going to get out of the way. And there is that whole thing with heat. I hear they have a lot of that in Iraq.
As a side note I also read or heard that the Dragon Skin vest were weakend when temps got above about 100° F.
Being a former grunt I would often choose mobility above some protective gear since my theory was always it was better to get out of the line of fire. Guess it served me okay, besides all we had were those silly old flak jackets that were only designed to protect you from shrapnel.

LakeRuins on July 3, 2007 at 7:24 PM

Is it me or is BDS so affected the MSM, including NBC, that they are PURPOSELY aiding and abetting the enemy? Anything, anything at all is acceptable provided it makes the current administration look bad. Same on the NBC, but what do you expect from a network whose cable branch spotlights a clueless empty suit like Olbermann.

aqvik on July 3, 2007 at 7:25 PM

Fairness Doctrin Update:

Liberal Bias : 1
Convservative: (You owe us one BIG TIME)

HarryStar on July 3, 2007 at 7:25 PM

As I recall, Dragon Skin isn’t only not superior, it’s dangerous. There was video floating around of it being officially tested a few months ago, and if a round hits it the wrong way, it just travels straight through like there was nothing there.

I’ll do the courtesy of assuming Myers simply got it wrong. But she and NBC should issue an apology and retraction.

Blacklake on July 3, 2007 at 7:27 PM

duh: has not is, and Shame not Same

aqvik on July 3, 2007 at 7:28 PM

Lisa Meyers
1. Needs to retire
2. Needs to cut back on the donuts.

Wade on July 3, 2007 at 7:29 PM

Un-freaking-believable.

NBC is anti-Bush, anti-military, and ,yes, anti-American.

I have to agree. We are in a time when everything the MSM says should be taken with a grain of salt and rigorously fact-checked. They are lying to the public and they certainly don’t have our best interests at heart.

infidel4life on July 3, 2007 at 7:30 PM

Nice one Bryan. Is it too cynical of me to think that NBC doesn’t give a damn about the US military, and is only interested in the ratings bump when they “uncover” new abuses the evil Bushco is perpetrating on our own soldiers?

VolMagic on July 3, 2007 at 7:30 PM

Get’em, Bryan!!!

tickleddragon on July 3, 2007 at 7:34 PM

Not that I would ever want to spend any time or energy defending the MSM, but as a frequenter of military technology blogs, and someone who has been following this story for some time, I’m not certain that NBC is entirely to blame here. I mean, yes, they screwed up. They should have researched things more. However, I’ve seen many videos of demonstrations and tests for Dragon Skin, as well as testimonials from contractors who used it. I don’t know if NBCs tests detailed the types of ammunition used, but the tests I’ve seen did. And I’m not the only one who thought the Dragon Skin kicked the interceptors ass. And you might note that the Air Force officer who claimed that Pinnacle failed their tests did not fail the tests in the contract. They failed tests that Pinnacle had verbally stated it could pass. It also looks like Magee was not the only person NBC interviewed, but also a past CINC SOCOM, General Wayne Downing. (SOCOM regularly fields equipment they deem superior to standard issue.) Did NBC go too far? Possibly! Like I said, I haven’t see that particular report myself. I don’t think Interceptor is bad. It’s way way better than anything we’ve used to date! I just don’t know, for certain, that it’s the absolute best. I do know that Pentagon procurement in general is totally screwed up. Is this NBC report equally flawed? The one that talks about how a known good working system was not procured in favor of a non-existant theoretical system that wont even be tested until 2011? And why is the Army continuing the M4/M16 line when Delta is helping develop better rifles such as the HK M416? This is where the mainstream media is useful! They should be investigating this stuff. Just … you know, with fact-checking. Which is their failing. Not saying they didn’t screw this up just saying … They might not be wholly wrong.

apollyonbob on July 3, 2007 at 7:35 PM

Wow. You can be sure that ABC and CBS will jump all over this story!

logis on July 3, 2007 at 7:37 PM

F#%K THAT

Can’t a class action suit be brought against NBC by families of military servicemen? This is just beyond outrageous.

I have NO patience for this kind of crap. NBC needs to suffer for this one.

unamused on July 3, 2007 at 7:38 PM

Aren’t these the same people that blew up a Ford and made it appear to be something else? I bet Rita Cosby is kicking herself in the ass for moving over to pMSNBC.

SouthernGent on July 3, 2007 at 7:40 PM

Imagine That!! NBC wrong again.

R D on July 3, 2007 at 7:42 PM

Also, my grammar checking fails. I meant to say that General Downing did indicate that Dragon Skin seemed superior, although even he said more tests were needed. Also that Pinnacle passed the contractual obligations — it failed some undocumented verbal ones.

apollyonbob on July 3, 2007 at 7:42 PM

Once again the left and its MSM mouth pieces show there is no level too low for them to stoop in order to get their agenda across. Regardless of the pain they cause to families of our troops,in concocting such “news stories”, or the actual pain and death they inflict upon the troops in the field through their despicable actions in congress, all that matters to them is inflicting some further damage or embarassment to the administration. I never would have believed the dhimicrats would sacrifice our best and brightest in order to make the most meaningless of political points.

CBP

…the will of the masses is divided by far-reaching distortions and the mass mind is corrupted by a knowledge worse than ignorance because it is false.
Ely Culbertson

colorfulbeachpersona on July 3, 2007 at 7:42 PM

aqvik on July 3, 2007 at 7:25 PM

Nope, it’s note just you…..

TBinSTL on July 3, 2007 at 7:43 PM

My son wears Interceptor body armor He and his troops knew the DragonSkin was crap. I told him that media was not to be trusted. He asked me Dad how did you survive Vietnam?… I simply said, luck, skill and faith in my Marines no one else. NBC and all like them need to be charged with sedition.

MNDavenotPC on July 3, 2007 at 7:45 PM

Ok, OT sort of, but it’s only fair. Michelle truly rocks, but as a she, I have to say, Bryan is pretty rockin’ himself…brains, looks, voice…….sigh

speed911 on July 3, 2007 at 7:45 PM

Ace did a good round-up on this armor controversy.

Most alarming was the point that the Dragonskin was ineffective as repelling oblique angles. Interceptor proved the most effective at all angles of received fire. Result, conversion to Dragonskin would cost lives.

Spirit of 1776 on July 3, 2007 at 7:50 PM

What NBC did is called fraud. They should be held to account for this.

But they won’t.

flipflop on July 3, 2007 at 7:50 PM

Great job Bryan.
I’m shocked that NBC would twist a story to fit a particular agenda. It’s shameless. Was that sincere enough?
Aren’t the trying to hire Rosie? ’nuff said

PowWow on July 3, 2007 at 7:52 PM

What most of this comes down to whether it is uparmored HMMV’s, body armor or weapons is the delusion we have that war can be waged without loss of life. Often times rushing untested equipment to the field results in more casualties rather then less. What is still remarkable, even with the militay’s notorious procurement system, is how fast new equipment is gotten to the troops. Does everybody get the latest and greatest at the same time? No. A classic example I have is when the Army switched from the old plain green “fatigues” to the camoflauge pattern BDU’s. You would have thought the trigger pullers would have been the first to get them but you would be wrong. We were always in the field so when a new shipment showed up, you had to purchase them they weren’t issued, all of the REMF’s (ask some military type to explain that to you) would buy them. So while all the finance clerks and admin personnel had BDU’s the Infantry and Armor and Artillery were stuck with fatigues.
I look at the stuff these guys have nowadays and wonder where it was when I was serving. Hell I was facing the might of the Soviet Union with not much more then a smile and the buttons on my shirt between me and a bullet. I ain’t begruding these guys, quite the opposite I am glad they have it but being an old ground pounder I look at them with all of that stuff on, realizing its a bazillion degrees, added to all the other stuff they are carrying and I often say “Better you then me”

LakeRuins on July 3, 2007 at 7:54 PM

Dragon Skin was featured last year on “Future Weapons” on the Discovery Channel. It was still in the testing phase.

This “fast food” mentality for military safety is insane. Had NBC done it research, they would have known this.

madmonkphotog on July 3, 2007 at 7:54 PM

The show “Future Weapons” on Discovery covered Dragon Skin before NBC did, I think it’s why NBC decided to do a report on it.

Nonfactor on July 3, 2007 at 7:54 PM

Wow, me and madmonk have a linked conscious or something.

Nonfactor on July 3, 2007 at 7:55 PM

Oh yeah, well what about those Chevy gas tanks?
Oh yeah, okay you’re right..

TheSitRep on July 3, 2007 at 7:55 PM

Bryan, outstanding Vent!

As was stated earlier, most of the soldiers in the field know that Interceptor (with ESAPI plates) is better than Dragon Skin, but that doesn’t mean the idiots who follow the MSM back home do.

Truly sad that this information will never get the wide dissemination that the original, fraudulent report received.

PBoilermaker on July 3, 2007 at 7:56 PM

Yeah Ace does a pretty good round up. Unfortunately I think Pinnacle really shot themselves in the foot if they really claimed a NIJ qualification where none existed. That was stupid of them, and they deserve to fail if that’s the case. But I’m just saying, we do need more news reports on Pentagon procurement. Fact checked reports, yes. But more would be better.

apollyonbob on July 3, 2007 at 7:59 PM

I researched Dragon skin extensively and it has had problems with the scales delaminating from the carrier after extended exposure to heat. But I also seen a video of it taking the full force of a fragmentation grenade with zero penetration. Army PBA’s can take two or three hits from armor piercing 7.62. After that it’s pretty much worthless. Not good in an extended fire fight. Dragon skin can take multiple hits…..30 9mm, then 5 5.56 AP, then 5 7.62 AP, and still not fail. Go to pinnicle armor to view the vids. Dragon skin is not the best, but it surely is a step in the right direction. Another issue is the cumbersomeness. DS is flexible and low profile where as the army’s PBA is very thick and getting through doors is pretty tough.

As far as Army protocols go, be suspicious. The Army has developed protocols that only their armor will pass. It’s like having a need for a four legged animal that can perform a task that both a dog and cat could do, but the protocol requires the animal to bark. The bark has very little to do with the performance. The test is skewed towards the dog.

Still, I am confident that they have the best PBA system out there or else I would have shelled out the $5000 for the dragon skin for my son.

The sales rep from Pinnicle tried to sell me a concealable version so my son could wear it without the army knowing as the Army has banned any further use of a soldiers privately purchased armor.

csdeven on July 3, 2007 at 7:59 PM

It’s very hot and very heavy (especially with XL plates and all the add-ons), but you actually get quite used to it. For those that have never tried it on, the initial shock of the sheer weight of the armor and full battle rattle is huge.

LakeRuins, thank you for your service!

PBoilermaker on July 3, 2007 at 8:02 PM

On O’Reilly right now NBC News is being sued by Perverted Justice for some sort of breach of contract in relation to their work on those pedophile operations they ran.

LakeRuins on July 3, 2007 at 8:06 PM

CBS. Remember the Audi 5000S “unintended acceleration” that killed that model after 1984, after 60 minutes did that hit piece? Well, about a year later, they admitted that it did look like the people that claimed to have stepped on the brake, actually stepped on the gas, after all. Yet, no retraction was made by 60 minutes. They do a hit and move on.

The upside to the story was that I got a used Audi 5000s for peanuts. Drove nice, too.

jihadwatcher on July 3, 2007 at 8:15 PM

I viewed that episode of Future Weapons as well and was impressed, but we need to see all the tests side by side and decide for ourselves. Parameters and testing will reveal the data.

warpmine on July 3, 2007 at 8:21 PM

I tend to agree with csdeven and apollyonbob.

Dragonskin is tough but had reliablitly issues from delamination and rounds at odd angles. Once those problems are solved Dragonskin would be the best armour available, despite the weight, because nothing is getting through that.

I would interested in knowing the weight of Interceptor armour with the plates inserted vs. the weight of Dragonskin, because Interceptor needs to have the plates in order to be as tough as Dragonskin. Just putting them on the scale is a little misleading.

The issue of military procurement is a very important issue. An above post mentioned the new HK improvement on the M-16. It is a huge leap forward in reliability. The Army must have a really good reason to not use it because that weapon can fire 6000 rounds and has the carbon build up of a standard M-16 after firing 50 rounds. Come to think of it, that could be a good Vent/post not in a gotcha sort of way but in a thoughtful look at responsible use of our military resources. We are going to up military spending if a Republican wins the White House, I do not want every DOD itch, scratched. The Navy has been developing ships that are so technologically advanced that they are out of place, no need to buy them when a Battleship can be retrofitted. Nuclear power, a missle turret and those beautiful guns makes for a potent sea weapon at a fraction of the cost.

Theworldisnotenough on July 3, 2007 at 8:22 PM

Lisa can join Dan Rather at the washed-up, biased, propagandist, former media celebrity farm.

Mojave Mark on July 3, 2007 at 8:23 PM

I really feel torn.

On the one hand, I HATE the vast majority of NBC News.

On the other hand, I have seen video of experiments with dragonskin where the dragonskin was able to severely outperform the interceptor armor.

In standard interceptor armor, if a plate is hit it fractures and is comprimised as to additional rounds… while the dragonskin’s design means that a much smaller area would be comprimised.

The army tests are disconcerting, as there are clearly some issues between Pinacle, NBC and the Army tests… but I’m not ready to disregard the principles underlying the dragonskin concept.

Jones Zemkophill on July 3, 2007 at 8:24 PM

Having carried the Interceptor Body Armor for 22 months over two tours in Iraq, I can tell you that that’s one heavy hunk of junk. It’s not just the near 30 pounds of vest and plates. There’s also at least 210 rounds of 5.56mm ammunition, 1/2 gallon or more of water, combat helmet (the size medium ACH weighs in at nearly three pounds) M-16 with magazine, another 9 pounds…you’re talking about 60 pounds of gear or more. For some of us, it’s more than a third of our body weight. That’s not counting anything extra (additional ammo, commo equipment, demolitions, special weapons which may contain heavier ammo) and it’s a wonder some of us can move around at all! And NBC is saying that a “superior” armor system is almost 20 pounds heavier?

“Audacity, audacity, always audacity,” said Patton. Speed, surprise, and violence of action is what we are taught in Military Operations in Urban Terrain (MOUT) training. But I don’t mind telling you, getting anywhere fast with that much gear isn’t easy. I wish that the MSM and Congress would recognize that we can’t win this war without getting our knuckles bloodied a bit. And I’m not just saying that because I think the IBA is too heavy, and the Dragonskin way too heavy.

Spc Steve on July 3, 2007 at 8:26 PM

It’s a lot more complex than that…the Navy wants littoral capability with flexible configurations and for the larger variants, a long reach with stealth and reliability. We don’t operate any ships that fit the bill in these regards and we -do- need a technology/capability upgrade in the fleet.

PBoilermaker on July 3, 2007 at 8:30 PM

Oh yeah, well what about those Chevy gas tanks?

And what about those Chevy’s?
Good Bry.

mjkazee on July 3, 2007 at 8:32 PM

Oh yeah, well what about those Chevy gas tanks?

sorry

mjkazee on July 3, 2007 at 8:34 PM

You can actually fracture these ESAPI plates through rough handling (throwing your kit on the deck, for example). Once that happens, the whole affected plate needs to be replaced.

PBoilermaker on July 3, 2007 at 8:36 PM

Excellent Vent, Bryan. I could type longer, but I’m going to go watch NBC and wait for a retraction.

(crickets)

Still waiting.

(crickets)

Still…waiting.

(crickets)

But hey, wasn’t that a fascinating butchering of a 6 hr Princess Di concert event NBC sliced and diced into a 1 hr package so we could see yet more “Law & Order” reruns??

(crickets)

Still…Zzz…waiting…

Captain Scarlet on July 3, 2007 at 8:38 PM

Good vent and very informative. You guys seem to have the best sources and ask them all the right questions.

I don’t understand how news organizations can get away with just saying whatever they want. There is freedom of the press, but that freedom comes with responsibility. I wish the press would think long and hard about the ‘blame America’ mentality. They can do stories on whatever they want to do and spin them any way they want. They are accountable to nobody and unapologetic. They continually choose sensationalism over sensibilities. Emotional terrorism is the cornerstone of the MSM these days.

I don’t know what can be done to stop them, but I really wish they would choose their stories to show the great country that America is. We have our problems, but America is the greatest nation in the history of the planet. I wish the media would reflect that all the time.

ThackerAgency on July 3, 2007 at 8:42 PM

Agreed. Conceptually, Dragon Skin is very very cool and has a lot of potential. But according to the way the Army tests body armor, it’s not there yet.

What do you think, I left the plates out when I was deciding whether to wear Interceptor or Dragon Skin? Of course I had the plates in. The plates are also in in the weigh-in in this video, and Dragon Skin is significantly heavier. You can tell when you pick up one vs the other.

Bryan on July 3, 2007 at 8:42 PM

Spc Steve on July 3, 2007 at 8:26 PM
Welcome home!
I am with you on the weight issue because I wasn’t one of those big guys either. By the time I put all the standard “grunt junk” on and threw that ruck on my back I could be at half my body weight and in most cases almost two-thirds. Now if that body armor relieves some of the stress off of the shoulders and back when carrying a ruck fine but I can see if you were doing some serious MOUT activity you would be tempted to “lose” it somewhere.
SFC (Retired)

LakeRuins on July 3, 2007 at 8:44 PM

Meyers and the rest of those insurgent loving bums are doing everything in their power to undermine our soldiers. When you speak of the “enemy” . . . include NBC.

rplat on July 3, 2007 at 8:47 PM

Bryan:

Good Luck in getting Lisa Meyers to retract, correct or clarify her fairy tale:

The leftards of the MSM, besides being biased smug, gullible and elitist, are really just plain stupid.

Doctorted on July 3, 2007 at 9:01 PM

Excellent reporting. Thank you Bryan.

CrimsonFisted on July 3, 2007 at 9:01 PM

Great GREAT job Bryan. Award winning stomp on NBC ( NoBodyCares) and they so deserved it.

Emotional Terrorism, soon the be 2007′s phrase of the year, synonymous with the MSM and the tactics of the lowly lefties.

Thanks, and I hope the families see this soon.

shooter on July 3, 2007 at 9:02 PM

But remember that they love the troops and just hate the president.

Entelechy on July 3, 2007 at 9:03 PM

What is sad is that MSM use to do what Bryan, Hotair and countless other websites are now doing, except they are not policing he government, they are policing the police.

MSM use to look out for us, use to hold the government accountable, makes you wonder if this has been going on for 30 years, or is it a ’90s thing.

Thankfully we have news websites that are getting the same access as MSM, like this report. Years ago they would not of had access. Years ago, they would not of been able to put a video out there for the world to see, at least cheaply. Now, it can be done cheaply and fast.

My question is though how many are going to hear about this? In the end, I bet more will of heard about the faulty armor, not about the faulty newscast.

WoosterOh on July 3, 2007 at 9:03 PM

Nothing the MSM reports is true nor should be believed, not even baseball scores.

Doctorted on July 3, 2007 at 9:03 PM

E-mail this and similar links to all you know. Otherwise we reading/commenting-addicts are the only ones who’ll know.

Entelechy on July 3, 2007 at 9:05 PM

Going back though the comments, I thought of one other thing. Dragon Skin is also responsible for the report. They also knew full well that the report was Emotional Terrorism, and they let it go, why? To create emotion and sell body armor, just look at the post by

csdeven on July 3, 2007 at 7:59 PM

Just sickening

WoosterOh on July 3, 2007 at 9:23 PM

LakeRuins on July 3, 2007 at 7:24 PM

I agree, that heavy crap was always the 1st gear lost. I would rather be a fast and agile moving target than a slow over weighted target.

Wade on July 3, 2007 at 9:30 PM

Another hard hitting Vent, Bryan. Thanks.

I read about the USAF debarment of those clowns. It’s well deserved and I’m sure the other services will take similar action.

As for NBC and their quest for ratings at all cost, they should be billed for wasting the time of our generals and lawmakers. Then they should lose their broadcast license. Then they should prepare for the flood of civil suits to compensate the families they so callously distressed.

NBC = traitors.

Zorro on July 3, 2007 at 9:31 PM

WoosterOh on July 3, 2007 at 9:23 PM

That’s the most despicable aspect of this, I think. It looks as though Pinnacle Armor is trying to force their product into the DoD pipeline by scaring people into thinking our soldiers are less safe without it. NBC and dupes like Lisa Myers are merely their marketing arm.

Slublog on July 3, 2007 at 9:35 PM

Well, Anyone that expects the truth about ANYTHING from NBC_CBS_ABC needs their heads examined. Outrage over this is as useless as outrage over an infant filling its diaper. (Good vent nonetheless Bryan)

As an old commo and demo guy that carried a combat load of never less than 85 lbs (and often up to 140 lbs, depending on the mission), I eschewed any sort of body armor.

Being one of those who prefers speed, silence, awareness and mobility to passive protection, I would have avoided armor even if I only had to carry a normal load.

Not sure what my choice would be now that I’ve come to the realization that I’m not immortal, or having to fight urban snipers and IEDs, while surrounded by non-combatants on a daily basis. (Give me the jungle, the mountains or the wide open desert over that any day.)

Spec. Steve and all your peers have my respect. I don’t think I ever could have done all the stuff you have had to do as well as put up with all the PC (and ROE) nonsense you have.

LegendHasIt on July 3, 2007 at 9:49 PM

On an armor related note. I think people should look into the work of Canadian inventor Troy Hurtubise and his armoured “Trojan” suit. It’s based on a creation of his called Ballistic Foam, that has shown promise, but he’s having a hard time getting people to take it seriously.

The guy is nuttier than a pound of squirrel poop, but his crazy inventions seem to work, and I’d like to them put to a thorough test against AK-47s and RPGs.

MoxArgon on July 3, 2007 at 9:55 PM

NBC has taken a severe lurch to the left in the last few months (more so than usual). This is being reflected in their news ratings.

Valiant on July 3, 2007 at 9:57 PM

Holy cow. I watched the opriginal airing of that NBC segment on the body armor. By the end, I was left feeling like the Army was incompetent, possibly in cahoots with someone for kick-backs or whatever, and were letting our troops down in the worst way possible, by short changing them on protection. Especially after the whole Humvee armor fiasco.

I had no idea that NBC had the whole thing wrong. The story was so well done, and done on something important but not Earth shattering, I took it at face value.

Damn me to hell for trusting the MSM with any frickin’ thing they have to say about anything or anyone.

Fantastic Vent Bryan. Thank you.

SilverStar830 on July 3, 2007 at 9:57 PM

I would love to see NBC take a hit for this like Rather did for his fabricated story about Bush’s tour in the National Guard. Some people need to be fired, a retraction needs to be aired, and a public apology made to all of our troops and their families.

As for CBS and the Audi story:

Remember the Audi 5000S “unintended acceleration” that killed that model after 1984, after 60 minutes did that hit piece … I got a used Audi 5000s for peanuts. Drove nice, too.

I owned a 5000S then and Audi sent me a VHS tape showing how CBS hired an automotive engineer to build a remote control hydraulic cylinder that would push the gas pedal down so the camera could “catch” the “unintended acceleration” in the act. I never watched 60 minutes again. They also sent us a check for $5,000 on a new Audi, which I used to trade up to a new Audi

Rod on July 3, 2007 at 10:08 PM

Myers has been working hard to win back the Nutroots ever since her interview of Juanita Broaddrick about Broaddrick’s allegation of forcible rape by then Arkansas Attorney General Bill Clinton.

She was reviled then, and what better way to win back the leftists than to attack the military?

Jaibones on July 3, 2007 at 10:24 PM

Everyone should bombard NBC with emails, demanding a public retraction (not just a stupid little note on the article, which is about the most they’d probably voluntarily do.) Bryan, will Michelle be mentioning this to O’Reilly? He hates NBC, and this sort of blatant lying by the MSM needs to be exposed.

RightWinged on July 3, 2007 at 10:27 PM

Is anyone a Rush 24/7 member? This should be emailed to Rush. I’m a Glenn Beck Insider, and I’ve emailed it to him in the hopes he’ll mention it on-air.

The wider the distribution, the more pressure on NBC.

Slublog on July 3, 2007 at 10:31 PM

You kind of had me with you, until that. Maybe I’m missing your point, but the Navy is designing ships with an eye towards doing more and different missions with fewer crew. Even if you could shoehorn a reactor into a de-museumized and extensively electronically upgraded Iowa class (and I’ve no great confidence that’s even possible), the cost would be substantial (if not staggering), there are only three of them left, and each one would require enormous crews.

No doubt the modernized Iowas offered a lot of bang for the buck during the blue-water Reagan buildup, if for no other reason than that they forced the Soviets to seek ways to offset them. And there’s no question the guns were impressive in the limited scenarios in which they could be used. But the day of the BB’s is over for good reason.

Blacklake on July 3, 2007 at 10:51 PM

Our valiant seekers after truth in the mainstream news agencies once again put their heads together and sound like a bowling alley.

Maybe we should round up the bastards and para-drop them all into Afghanistan so they can speak with a tad more experience than the dipsticks who concocted “Loose Change” after carefully Googling their entire premise.

I ever have a kid that wants to become a journalist, I’m gonna give him such a smack!

thejackal on July 3, 2007 at 10:56 PM

On another note, isn’t it ironic that here we have a piece where the media is criticizing the military for, at least in NBC’s stated view, failing to spend enough money on the best conceivable equipment?

In peacetime, these are the same news outfits who fight vehemently against virtually every emerging new weapons system, including the AH-64, B-2, F-22, Commanche, Seawolf, V-22, and Crusader, just to name the biggest ones off the top of my head (and I fully expect we’ll see the F-35 under attack on “60 Minutes” shortly, too).

Military procurement certainly needs criticism and oversight, but routinely damning the Pentagon for going after the most exotic equipment in peacetime then angrily excoriating them for not fielding what you believe to be the most exotic equipment in times of war seems to reflect a confused perspective at best.

Blacklake on July 3, 2007 at 11:03 PM

Was it just me or when that soldier next to the hummer was shot did the voice on the tape quietly say “allah akbhar”? Where did they get that video?

boomer on July 3, 2007 at 11:17 PM

Please move The Vent to a more prominent position. I’m missing a bunch of them.

Kevin M on July 3, 2007 at 11:26 PM

It’s not like this is the first time NBC rigged experiments to fit their story. remember this?

On November 17, 1992, Dateline NBC aired an investigative report about General Motors pickup trucks allegedly exploding upon impact during accidents due to poor design of fuel tanks. Although there were fuel tank design problems with GM cars before, Dateline’s film showed a sample of a low speed accident with the fuel tank exploding. In reality, Dateline NBC producers had rigged the truck with remotely detonated explosives. The program did not disclose the fact that the accident was staged. GM investigators studied the film, and discovered that smoke actually came out of the fuel tank a split-second before impact. GM subsequently filed an anti-defamation lawsuit against NBC after conducting an extensive investigation. On February 18, 1993 GM conducted a highly publicized (view broadcast in 1993 section of GM 1990s history) point-by-point rebuttal that lasted nearly two hours after announcing the lawsuit. The lawsuit was quickly settled by NBC, and Jane Pauley read an apology on the program.

The following Dateline NBC producers were dismissed: Jeff Diamond, executive producer; David Rummel, senior producer; and Robert Read, producer of the report on the pickups. Michele Gillen, the reporter involved in the segment, was transferred to Miami station WTVJ. Michael G. Gartner, president of the news division, resigned under pressure.

TheBigOldDog on July 3, 2007 at 11:34 PM

Good thing I was wearing my Interceptor instead of my Dragon Skin when my Ford pickup got broadsided and burst into flames.

BacaDog on July 3, 2007 at 11:52 PM

Isn’t that the Rocky Horror Picture Show font for the word TERRORISM?

O-Dub on July 4, 2007 at 12:09 AM

No, there is no bias in the media.

No, NBC and Lisa Meyers will no apologize for their perpetration of Emotional Terrorism.

Sickos!!!!!!!

William

William2006 on July 4, 2007 at 12:49 AM

That video was captured by the US Army. The soldier that was shot managed to chase the sniper down and capture him alive. I remember hearing that he even rendered aid to the guy. The army released the video–I remember seeing it here on Hot Air a while back.

Hack Ptui on July 4, 2007 at 1:01 AM

Great Vent Bryan! We need this information and commentary to counter MSM propaganda. More Please!

I believe that everyone is giving NBC too much credit. In my opinion this Vent illustrates just one more incidence of NBC distributing propaganda to favor special interests.

Whether this propaganda was intended to undermine public faith in the military (Big surprise, common theme with MSM and the Left), or to favor special interests aligned with the Left and NBC is irrelevant. The bottom line is that this is just one more example, proof, of why NBC in particular, and the MSM in general (with the exception of FOX), cannot be trusted.

With Vents such as this one from Bryan, and Hot Air looking to expose the propaganda we are subjected to, perhaps we are not the dumb, ignorant, masses that the MSM thinks we are.

Reqeust for Bryan and Hot Air folk: Please include the name of willing sponsors that support this propaganda when you expose the next blatent attempted manipulation of the “Mad Blog Rabble” (that’s us).

omegaram on July 4, 2007 at 1:43 AM

Great vent! I’m going to write to NBC and I’m sure my email will be taken seriously. Sarcasm now off… These guys are idiots and their ratings are tanking…wonder why? They deserve everything they are getting!

sabbott on July 4, 2007 at 4:44 AM

There must be some legal recourse when the media does this.

davod on July 4, 2007 at 5:32 AM

thejackal on July 3, 2007 at 10:56 PM

Tempting first reaction, but may I suggest you encourage him in journalism. Never underestimate the value of an inside man. Or an inside many.

The evidence mounts daily: The Fourth Estate is making remarkable (r)evolutionary progress in it’s mutation to a Fifth Column.

It’s time for conservatarians to infiltrate the ranks of the MSM and release the chains that keep the pendulum locked to the left.

Just be sure to have a nice long talk with the child before sending them to a school Ministry of journalism Truth.

soundingboard on July 4, 2007 at 6:14 AM

Just wait until Olby starts offering his commmentaries on the regular NBC Nightly News weeknight newscast. Chet and David must be rolling in their resting places.

Captain Scarlet on July 4, 2007 at 7:24 AM

My GOD.

On-my-soap-box on July 4, 2007 at 8:44 AM

Great Vent.

Anyone know which one of Dante’s levels NBC News Personel end up in?

And I don’t wanna sound like a moonbat, (I guess I can concede cynical), but is the Dragonskin parent company in any way affiliated with General Electric? The parent company of NBC? Just a thought.

In NBC’s defense, they did do a series of scathing stories in the ninties about the Clinton administration’s failure to make body armor standard issue for soldiers and Marines.

No, wait. I’m sorry, that was in Bizzaro World.

As a new register, I’m reluctant to risk my long coveted, and newly aquired commenting priveleges,(“The Precious”):
Our Lady of The Massive Malkins looks much more beautiful without the goatee.
[crossing my fingers...nobanhammernobanhammernobanhammer]

soundingboard on July 4, 2007 at 8:53 AM

To solve the problem, bar NBC from news briefs. Deny NBC from any “embed” opportunities in Iraq, due to their misrepresentations and inaccurate reporting.

oldelpasoan on July 4, 2007 at 9:05 AM

That is why NBC is Nothing But Crap. Great Vent!!

-TJ

TimboJackson on July 4, 2007 at 9:06 AM

And don’t forget that General Electric (who owns NBC) prides itself as the ‘Most Ethical Company in the World’.

CrazyFool on July 4, 2007 at 9:18 AM

As a new register, I’m reluctant to risk my long coveted, and newly aquired commenting priveleges,(”The Precious”):
Our Lady of The Massive Malkins looks much more beautiful without the goatee.
[crossing my fingers…nobanhammernobanhammernobanhammer]

soundingboard on July 4, 2007 at 8:53 AM

Attack whom you will but that will get you gone. I wouldn’t dance that dance too long.

Advice from a new guy.

On-my-soap-box on July 4, 2007 at 9:19 AM

Bryan,

Thanks for the report. I have absolutely no trust in the MSM to get anything right. When will somebody in the administration grow a pair and start rounding up these so called journalists and charge them with sedition. The DoD is far from perfect, but looks like the US Army was all over this and had their ducks in a row.

Having to work my way through the Congressionally imposed rules and restrictions (Federal Acquisition Regulation) to acquire some of the equipment for my unit makes me crazy, but you do what you have to do. Like I always said back when flying the aircraft won’t fly unless the paperwork involved in flying a sortie equals or exceeds the weight of the aircraft.

Keep up the great work and keep the facts coming, it drives the America hater’s nuts when you hit them with facts instead of feelings! Say a prayer for our troops as they continue to guarantee our freedoms at home and abroad. Happy 4th of July to Hot Air and every true American!

KC-135A on July 4, 2007 at 9:39 AM

Smells like one huge class action lawsuit against MSNBC. Some creative conservative lawyer out there needs to break new ground in willful, negligent reporting. Damages: Emotional distress nation-wide; Punitive Damages: I think about $1B would be a good start.

warriorlawyer on July 4, 2007 at 9:39 AM

The more I watch the madder I get.

That was a great Vent. You should win some type of journalism award. This is documentary journalism at its best (unlike that Moore fella). It exposed every lie and a fake Marine too.

You should do a follow up on the screaming politicos who went after the war and the lack of “proper body armor” then and now. That would be just too juicy!

GOD Bless

On-my-soap-box on July 4, 2007 at 10:02 AM

To borrow a line from “Casablanca,” “I’m shocked, shocked!” that NBC would do something like this.

Thank God for the U.S. military.

second digit on July 4, 2007 at 10:16 AM