Breaking: President Bush to commute Libby’s sentence; Update: Fred celebrates! Update: “Disgraceful,” says Reid; Update: “Holy sh*t,” says Rosie! Update: Snap poll — Americans oppose 21/60; Update: Bush is an accessory, says Wilson Update: Video, Olbermann & Wilson rage

posted at 5:45 pm on July 2, 2007 by Bryan

John Gibson just announced it on The Big Story. Details to follow.

More: Earlier today, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit refused to put Libby’s sentence on hold, meaning he would have had to go to jail while his appeal was ongoing.

Update (AP): I guess this is his way of splitting the difference between people who want Libby pardoned and people who think he should serve out the sentence prescribed by the judicial process. It should earn him a point or two with the base after the shamnesty debacle.

Update (AP): Splittin’ the difference:

“My decision to commute his prison sentence leaves in place a harsh punishment for Mr. Libby,” Bush said in a statement. “The consequences of his felony conviction on his former life as a lawyer, public servant, and private citizen will be long-lasting.”

The president’s action means that Libby’s conviction still stands and he is still required to pay the $250,000 fine ordered by a federal judge.

Update (AP): Rush appealed for a pardon this afternoon. No doubt this will be played by advocates of the Fairness Doctrine as Bush having done talk radio’s bidding.

Update (AP): Here’s Bush’s full statement. “Mr. Fitzgerald is a highly qualified, professional prosecutor who carried out his responsibilities as charged.”

Update (AP): Reaction:

“As Independence Day nears, we’re reminded that one of the principles our forefathers fought for was equal justice under the law. This commutation completely tramples on that principle,” Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., said through a spokesman.

Libby’s supporters celebrated.

“That’s fantastic. It’s a great relief,” said former Ambassador Richard Carlson, who helped raise millions for Libby’s defense fund. “Scooter Libby did not deserve to go to prison and I’m glad the president had the courage to do this.”

Update (AP): More reaction — from Fred: “I am very happy for Scooter Libby. I know that this is a great relief to him, his wife and children. While for a long time I have urged a pardon for Scooter, I respect the President’s decision. This will allow a good American, who has done a lot for his country, to resume his life.”

Update (AP): “I don’t underrate the seriousness of perjury, but in sentencing, or using the pardon power, you consider mitigating factors. Unlike the Paula Jones case, no individual litigant was harmed by obstruction of the discovery process. And unlike the Sandy Berger case, there was no successful coverup.”

Update (AP): Stories like this are so transparently partisan that it’s almost not worth covering the reaction.

Senator Harry Reid, Democratic Majority Leader, called the commutation ‘disgraceful.’

“The President’s decision to commute Mr. Libby’s sentence is disgraceful. Libby’s conviction was the one faint glimmer of accountability for White House efforts to manipulate intelligence and silence critics of the Iraq War. Now, even that small bit of justice has been undone,” Reid said in a statement. “The Constitution gives President Bush the power to commute sentences, but history will judge him harshly for using that power to benefit his own Vice President’s Chief of Staff who was convicted of such a serious violation of law.”

Update (AP): More from Raw Story — the Wilsons’ lawyer, who doubles as the head of CREW, is none too pleased.

Melanie Sloan, the executive director of Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, who is representing the Plame and her husband Ambassador Joe Wilson in a civil suit against Libby and other top Bush administration officials, slammed the decision on behalf of the Wilsons.

“First, President Bush said any person who leaked would no longer work in his administration. Nonetheless, Scooter Libby didn’t leave office until he was indicted and Karl Rove works in the White House even today,” Sloan said in a statement sent to RAW STORY. “More recently, the vice president ignored an executive order protecting classified information, claiming he isn’t really part of the executive branch. Clearly, this is an administration that believes leaking classified information for political ends is justified and that the law is what applies to other people.”

Update (AP): CNN compares Bush’s record on pardons and commutations to the last 10 presidents’. Plus: reaction round-up, featuring Joe Biden calling on Americans to flood the White House phone lines the way amnesty opponents did in sinking the POS immigration bill!

Update (AP): Now we know for sure it was a bad decision.

THE GUYS IN CHARGE R CRIMINALS
IMPEACH CHENEY THEN BUSH
ASAP

Update (AP): Filled with heart-ache is the NYT.

Update (AP): Survey USA has already conducted a snap poll. The White House won’t like the results.

Update (AP): “The jury said Scooter Libby did the crime. He should do the time.”

Update (AP): Holy Joe Wilson speaks!

In an interview with ABC News Radio, Joseph Wilson said Bush’s commutation of I. Lewis “Scooter” Libby’s prison term demonstrates that “this administration is corrupt to the core – from top to bottom.”…

In commuting part of Libby’s sentence, Wilson says, President Bush is complicit in Libby’s crimes.

“He is an accessory to the obstruction of justice in this commutation of the sentence,” Wilson told ABC News. “He, himself, is now under a cloud.”

Update (Bryan): Courtesy Ms Underestimated, here’s a meeting of the addled minds. Keith Olbermann and Joe Wilson discuss the Libby pardon. You get it all, from Wilson’s loopy lies to Olby’s wacky conspiracy theories. It’s just what you expect, which makes it perfect. Perfectly insane, but perfect.

Update (AP): WaPo reports that Bush’s friends and most aides were told not to bug him about Libby. Why? “The White House’s handling of the Libby case appears to have been designed to make it possible for Bush to say he was not the subject of undue political pressure in the same manner that President Bill Clinton was lobbied to make controversial pardons in the final days of his administration.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Heh.

Bad Candy on July 2, 2007 at 6:36 PM

Nutroots are having a collective aneurysm.

This will lead to the inevitable conservative counterpoint showing the list of Clinton pardons at the end of his presidency. Libby looks like a choir boy compared to that list.

Dario on July 2, 2007 at 6:37 PM

csdeven, it was AP who posted the update about Fred!

Entelechy on July 2, 2007 at 6:37 PM

Poor Bush doesn’t want the libs to be mad at him – hence the nasty attack on Libby at the same time as he commuted the prison part of his sentence.

So, Bush is just reminding us that Libby loses his entire livelihood, so the libs shouldn’t be mad at poor, persecuted Bush. I would have been more impressed with the commute without the jab.

TwoCents on July 2, 2007 at 6:26 PM

I doubt you’ll hear Scooter complaining. I would imagine he has invested quite heavily and the 250K is chump change in comparison to a prison sentence. And since a large share of the population felt he was railroaded, his future career won’t be hurt at all. I’d expect a book deal within 6 months.

I am a little disappointed that Bush didn’t stick it to the liberal idiots (especially the whiney weasel Schumer) with a full pardon. Hell, Clinton pardoned his share of people far worse the Libby.

Someone must be spiking George’s water lately. First the support of the Shamnesty debacle, and now refusing a full pardon for Libby. Too weird!

stacman on July 2, 2007 at 6:37 PM

amerpundit on July 2, 2007 at 6:33 PM

heh heh heh. I hope Bryan waits until fred? gets way out on a limb on this. We can already see he is inching himself out there. freds? fall will certainly be a mighty one and it will be heard around the blogosphere.

csdeven on July 2, 2007 at 6:37 PM

Heh.

Bad Candy on July 2, 2007 at 6:36 PM

I’m assuming this is when you realized I was being sarcastic.

Nonfactor on July 2, 2007 at 6:37 PM

I am having way too much fun laughing at the lefties going crazy because Bush wouldn’t let a man go to jail for having a bad memory.

Tune in next week when Liberals try to impeach Cheney for forgetting to brush his teeth and subpoena Condi for leaving the light on.

As long as stuffing classified documents down your pants stays legal!

e-pirate on July 2, 2007 at 6:38 PM

I’m assuming this is when you realized I was being sarcastic.

Nonfactor on July 2, 2007 at 6:37 PM

Red Herring. Google it!

Bad Candy on July 2, 2007 at 6:38 PM

csdeven suffers from an acute case of “Frenvy”

heroyalwhyness on July 2, 2007 at 6:38 PM

Now, now. He’ll shortly post video of all of the Republican candidates saying Libby should’ve been pardoned weeks ago.

amerpundit on July 2, 2007 at 6:33 PM

Yeah, I’m sure Rudy McRomney have taken multiple sides on this issue. Bryan will have to make sure he pull up the right one.

omnipotent on July 2, 2007 at 6:39 PM

And since a large share of the population felt he was railroaded

The Republican Party is hardly “the population.”

Nonfactor on July 2, 2007 at 6:39 PM

stacman on July 2, 2007 at 6:37 PM

That’s what happens when one doesn’t have convictions similar to Mrs. Edwards – one gets NUANCE.

Entelechy on July 2, 2007 at 6:39 PM

You know, I’ve got to give Bush credit for this. I really thought he was going to let Libby rot.

Kensington on July 2, 2007 at 6:40 PM

I really thought he was going to let Libby rot.

Kensington on July 2, 2007 at 6:40 PM

I believe it takes more than 30 months in prison to “rot,” and I think you need to be dead.

Nonfactor on July 2, 2007 at 6:41 PM

Entelechy on July 2, 2007 at 6:37 PM

I never even looked. I didn’t think they did that kind of thing.

Good for you AP! Keep that juicy, juicy, red fred? meat coming. :-)

csdeven on July 2, 2007 at 6:41 PM

The Republican Party is hardly “the population.”

Nonfactor on July 2, 2007 at 6:39 PM

Well, no, but it’s about the same percentage as the Democrat party.

Entelechy on July 2, 2007 at 6:41 PM

Yes…finally. At least we know his approval rating won’t be 28% the next time. Bush has to remember where his bread is buttered. All his liberal Shamnesty friends don’t really care about him.

Chudi on July 2, 2007 at 6:41 PM

I’d be happy about this…….

…..except that it makes it even more an outrage, a travesty of justice, that border agents Ramos and Campeon are still languishing in solitary confinement. For doing their jobs.

These men deserve a pardon far more than Libby ever will.

What a disgrace. We can give a pardon to our political buddies, but not to servants of the public good who were prosecuted by the corrupt Johnny Sutton. Men who did their jobs to protect us, and the word of criminals was taken over theirs. Men whose thanks for their work has been their imprisonment, violent assaults on them by criminals, and leaving them to suffer with their wounds in solitary.

When Tony Snow addressed the media about Ramos and Campeon, and stated that Bush felt the need to pursue due diligence before making a decision on whether to pardon them, he was asked whether President Ford followed such diligence when he immediately issued a pardon to Nixon.

I like Tony Snow as much as anyone, but I think even he would have to admit that he had no good answer for that. Because there isn’t one.

Hawkins1701 on July 2, 2007 at 6:43 PM

I thought I heard thunder, but it must have been the sound of moonbat heads exploding.

I’m sure they’ve already purged those few sane people from DU. Those posters should have known that sanity isn’t welcome in the fever swamps.

ReubenJCogburn on July 2, 2007 at 6:45 PM

It’s astounding that in this day and age, a judge would allow that travesty of justice to take place. 30 months for a bad memory? $250K for a bad memory?

Child molesters in Vermont get less time AND THEY PLEAD GUILTY!

csdeven on July 2, 2007 at 6:46 PM

Seriously, why don’t the moonbats and people like Nonfactor get this outraged over terrorism?

Just sayin’…

PBoilermaker on July 2, 2007 at 6:48 PM

Charles Gibson said on World News Tonight….’I guess he (the President) feels his pool numbers can’t go lower.’…..

There is the reason to pardon him….poll numbers. Justice had nothing to do with it.

Limerick on July 2, 2007 at 6:48 PM

poll numbers (fat fingers grrrrrrrr)

Limerick on July 2, 2007 at 6:49 PM

I don’t want to be the one who has to superglue Jane Hamsher’s head back together…

Jim Treacher on July 2, 2007 at 6:49 PM

The real losers in this situation will actually be Reid and Pelosi. The word of the day at DU is IMPEACH, and the dynamic duo will once again disappoint their base by rolling over and letting Chimpy McBushitler wipe his feet on their doormat backsides.

Has Elizabeth Edwards phoned in John’s comment yet?

rw on July 2, 2007 at 6:50 PM

I wish Bush would have pardoned Libby, but I will take it. This trial was a complete joke. Has anyone called for a special prosecuter for Valerie. She lied about whether she had anything to do with sending her husband to Niger. How many stories has she had? Good day for Scooter, and a great day for me. I will enjoy watching the libs implode over this.

chief on July 2, 2007 at 6:50 PM

omnipotent on July 2, 2007 at 6:39 PM

All of them attacked Libby’s prosecution and sentencing, at the Republican debate. I can’t remember if it was on CNN or MSNBC.

amerpundit on July 2, 2007 at 6:51 PM

Indeed, this is an outrage that these two even got within a hundred yards of that prison. Damn shame Putin didn off the El Presidente Boosh. Johnny Sutton ought to ne disbarred jusy like Mike Nifong because the situation is identical. Presecutor over stepped his authority to frmae law enforcement officers.

warpmine on July 2, 2007 at 6:52 PM

Now I can’t wait to hear what Mrs. Clinton will say.

Entelechy on July 2, 2007 at 6:54 PM

Dunno folks…this whole mess was a political mess in the first place. There was never a crime to be investigated…and yet it was investigated. During the investigation people were asked about various and sundry conversations as weighty as your conversations today just prior to lunch…and then asked about them again MONTHS later. Mr. Libby, when asked, “WHAT! is the capital of Assyria?” said, “What? I don’t know that” and was tossed into the Canyon of Eternal Peril…otherwise known as our Justice System.

There’s a moral to the story. While the investigation was silly it was what it was. Mr. Libby knew going in that it would be something as silly as a wrong answer to, “So Mr Libby, was the sandwich on wheat or rye?” that would land him on a perjury charge. He should’ve taken better notes.

Since the whole thing was political anyway, I don’t see how this political posturing by the President matters one iota.

Color me cynical but that’s the way I see it.

Pilgrim on July 2, 2007 at 6:54 PM

I like this one from Fark.

theorellior 2007-07-02 05:56:15 PM
This thread will be monumental. I’m leaving work right now, but I had to get a couple posts in to prove I was here.

Bwaaahaaa

Guardian on July 2, 2007 at 6:54 PM

Jim Treacher on July 2, 2007 at 6:49 PM

Half of the Nutroots hangouts are total gorefests with all the asploding heads.

Bad Candy on July 2, 2007 at 6:55 PM

I’m gonna watch the first few minutes of Hardball with Chris Matthews because I want to see that giant gob of spittle form on the side of his mouth as he rants unconsolably about Scooter getting no jail time.

HEAD EXPLOSION WATCH !!!! HEAD EXPLOSION WATCH !!!

Always Right on July 2, 2007 at 6:57 PM

All of this AND MM is hosting the Factor tonight.

Good stuff!

PBoilermaker on July 2, 2007 at 6:57 PM

stacman on July 2, 2007 at 6:37 PM

It’s not whether or Libby will be able to find work (as I am sure he will), it was Bush’s need to remind everyone of the penalties that he left in place so that the libs or MSM or whoever he is scared of won’t get too mad.

TwoCents on July 2, 2007 at 6:58 PM

LOL… yep… just hit me…

Hillary saying someone who perjures themself should go to jail????

And what about Sandy Burglar? He perjured himself as well…

Sooo… where is the Democrats outrage about them?

Romeo13 on July 2, 2007 at 6:59 PM

SO despite what the duck deos now, I think it’s important to make him understand that he is LAME.

warpmine on July 2, 2007 at 7:00 PM

Ach… Chrissy must be on vacation. Its David whatzisname instead.

Somewhere in this sainted land, a blonde political analyst is in a primal scream and we cant hear it. Shame.

Always Right on July 2, 2007 at 7:00 PM

For those who haven’t, do check out the DU link. Their tears, they taste of sweet, sweet nectar. I know how my evening is going to be spent- furiously updating DU, HuffPo and DKos to revel in their misery and anger.

Just stay away from the emergency room- judging by their reactions so far, I predict a massive influx of aneurysms tonight.

Bush is still a screwup, but I think he made the right call here- 30 months was harsh.

Hollowpoint on July 2, 2007 at 7:01 PM

I love this because it will piss off liberals.

No, atually, I was hoping for this because it basically hurts Bush more, along with Thompson. It’ll make great campaign ads for next fall, considering that higher than 2/3rds of the American people opposed this.

Latest poll: Dem candidate favored by 55%, Rep by 28% in 2008.

Yeah guys, keep toting those Congressional approval ratings. They won’t mean a thing, especially since the only reason the majority disapproves is because of this:

Fragility on July 2, 2007 at 7:03 PM

What was that reference to a broken clock?

warpmine on July 2, 2007 at 7:03 PM

What was that reference to a broken clock?

“Mister” Bush is responsible for the broken clock!
-Keith Olbergirl.

Kensington on July 2, 2007 at 7:05 PM

According to a statement by Barack Obama, Scooter Libby represented “a threat to national security”….

oh dear… and he raised a gazillion dollars from leftards who want him to be president. Our struggle to save America continues….

Always Right on July 2, 2007 at 7:05 PM

How much time did Bill Clinton serve for Perjury in the Paula Jones case ?

William Amos on July 2, 2007 at 7:08 PM

More Leftwing Tinfoil Hat stuff:

Jonathan Turley, lawyer to the Gitmo inmates, is now on PMSNBC claiming that the pardon sure makes it look like this is a coverup to PROTECT DICK CHENEY who is the real culprit here.

Ah, the left and their delusions…. 20 years from now they will still be trying to impeach Dick Cheney !!!!

Always Right on July 2, 2007 at 7:08 PM

GW has NO street smarts whatsoever. By not giving Libby a full pardon he is admitting that there was some truth in the charges. Dumbass is hanging his team player out there. Plus he opens up the possibility that his administration did in fact did out VP in a payback attempt to Joe Wilson.

sonnyspats1 on July 2, 2007 at 7:08 PM

Fragility on July 2, 2007 at 7:03 PM

God knows the polls are always right and the polled always honest.

Limerick on July 2, 2007 at 7:09 PM

Meanwhile on CNN, the anchorette babe sitting in for Wolfie is breathlessly interviewing… wait for it… JOE WILSON.

Who, claimed the anchorette, DEBUNKED Pres Bush’s claim that Iraq wanted uranium. And so he, the voice of “integrity” for CNN is on defending himself, his wife and the left’s version of Alice in Wonderland.

Any more of this swill, and MY head is gonna explode.

Always Right on July 2, 2007 at 7:11 PM

He should have PARDONED him, but I’ll take it. Now, Senor Boosh, PARDON the 2 border patrol agents who were doing the job you don’t want them to do!

SouthernGent on July 2, 2007 at 7:12 PM

This is the fundamental problem with President Bush. Of all the options available he takes the single worst every time, or so it seems.

The commutation will earn him exactly the same condemnation from the left that a pardon would have. His half-measure will gain him nothing politically from that quarter. At the same time, he will infuriate those Republicans and others who believe that Mr. Libby ought to have been pardoned. If nothing else, it would have enabled him to continue in a legal career. But no.

Another thing this has demonstrated is a real lack of loyalty to his supporters, which has manifested itself time and time again.

Blaise on July 2, 2007 at 7:13 PM

Insiders say the Democrats were relieved bush did this so that they can change the subject on their non accom plishements and non aganda for a fer days…

Fragility on July 2, 2007 at 7:03 PM?

I think you missed this one…
Following Immigration Debate, Number of Republicans in USA Increases

It’s interesting to note that the number of Republicans increased during the same month that the President’s Job Approval fell to another all-time low.

it’ also interesting that Dems are below their 2005 high – but by all means, I hope the Dems keep campaigning against Bush-Cheney 08.

Topsecretk9 on July 2, 2007 at 7:16 PM

their non accom plishements and non aganda for a fer days…-

their non accomplishments and non agenda for a few days…needed to be fixed.

Topsecretk9 on July 2, 2007 at 7:17 PM

The lunatic left’s hypocrisy has no bounds.

warpmine on July 2, 2007 at 7:17 PM

Pres. Clinton pardoned/commuted those who committed perjury.

BRASWELL, Almon Glenn Doravilla, Georgia Conspiracy to defraud government with respect to claims; perjury.

FUGAZY, William Denis Harrison, New York Perjury in a bankruptcy proceeding

NAZZARO, Richard Anthony Winchester, Massachusetts Perjury and conspiracy to commit mail fraud

Not to mention Pres. Clinton own perjury.
Lying Under Oath as President – 2 times
Lying Under Oath as Governor – 5 times
Lying Under Oath as Attorney General
Lying Under Oath in a Deposition
Lying Under Oath to a Grand Jury
Lying Under Oath as a Lawyer

And Reid is so shocked? So..so…unbecoming as for a president to issue a commute?

Kokonut on July 2, 2007 at 7:18 PM

What is interesting is that apart from the Beltway and apart from die-hard politicoes on websites on the left and right, the vast majority of middle America, working America doesnt care what happens to Scooter Libby and really hasnt followed his case at all.

So if the Dems feel they can GALVANIZE the Nation to rally behind a pardon for a guy most Americans never heard of, and dont care about, oooh boy are they in for yet another shock.

Always Right on July 2, 2007 at 7:19 PM

Right on, Blaise. Attempting to justify the President’s weak half-measure on the basis of avoiding some level of criticism from the press, is like pushing through immigration in hopes of courting the Hispanic vote. It ain’t gonna happen! Instead, everyone walks away from this little “gesture” thinking, “The President still thinks he’s guilty.” and while avoiding prison is pretty good break for Mr. Libby, huge fines, loss of job, and a standing conviction, aren’t just slaps on the wrist.

The idea behind a pardon would be to publicly acknowledge this was a travesty, a show trial. The President, as often happens, chose the middle-of-the-road option. My Dad always told me that if you stand in the middle of the road, you get run over from both directions. Watch out, George!

grids7 on July 2, 2007 at 7:20 PM

Why is Chuck Schumer blatantly using Independence Day for his own party’s political gain by questioning Bush’s patriotism?

Dusty on July 2, 2007 at 7:20 PM

Yeah, there go Bush’s reelection hopes. The shame will be unbearable, I’m sure.

Pablo on July 2, 2007 at 7:26 PM

Fitzgerald should be charged with a malicious prosecution.

Scooter should have been given a Full Presidential Pardon not a half hearted commutation.

GWB just threw another patriot under the bus by not going all the way IMHO.

Valarie Plame should be charged with perjury for her testimony in front of Congress.

ScottyDog on July 2, 2007 at 7:31 PM

Yeah, there go Bush’s reelection hopes. The shame will be unbearable, I’m sure.

Pablo on July 2, 2007 at 7:26 PM

*snort*

RushBaby on July 2, 2007 at 7:31 PM

OH MY GOODNESS!!!!

NOT AGAIN???

csdeven on July 2, 2007 at 7:33 PM

So commuting Libby’s sentence, which he received for having a poor memory about a non-issue, causes outrage… But pardons issued by Clinton were a-ok?

RightWinged on July 2, 2007 at 7:36 PM

Where is the propaganda media outlet who will compare/contrast the Bush pardons to the Clinton pardons? *sound of crickets chirping*

Mojave Mark on July 2, 2007 at 7:39 PM

So, whatdya say we flood Biden’s office with calls just to tell him to get stuffed?

CurtZHP on July 2, 2007 at 7:39 PM

Disgraceful Reid? How about “on your knees Bill”, or the little puke that stuck classified documents in his socks? This entire trial was a sham and Libby should have received a full pardon.

rplat on July 2, 2007 at 7:40 PM

Pardon William Jefferson! After all, what he (allegedly) did was not threat to national security!

Ropera on July 2, 2007 at 7:40 PM

Fitzgerald should be charged with a malicious prosecution.

Nah, better the appeal should go forward.

Pablo on July 2, 2007 at 7:43 PM

Bryan, is this thread being monitored? Notice the comment by nonfactor at 6:41.

jaime on July 2, 2007 at 7:46 PM

Off Topic

However according to Michelle

Just a programming note: I’ll be guest-hosting the O’Reilly Factor this evening, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. We’ll be talking terror and immigration, among other topics, tonight. Be sure to tune in.

F15Mech on July 2, 2007 at 7:50 PM

EMAIL BUSH:

Remind him of three American Heros in prison for protecting our borders:

PARDON Deputy Gil Hernandez and the two Border Patrol agents Ignacio Ramos and Jose Compean

FLLaw33870 on July 2, 2007 at 7:51 PM

But what did Tommy think? And/or Tommy’s “friend”?

ReubenJCogburn on July 2, 2007 at 7:53 PM

I posted on DAILYKOS, but Free Speech there gets deleted when it does not go along with the LEFTIST diatribe.

They on the LEFT are crying that “democracy is failing” and the “sky is falling”, but where was their hand wringing when Clinton exercised 140 pardons on his last day? They are just hypocrits.

Some examples:

Clinton issued 140 pardons on his last day of office (January 20, 2001). Some controversial pardons include the following:

Carlos A. Vignali had his sentence for cocaine trafficking commuted, after serving 6 of 15 years in federal prison.

Almon Glenn Braswell was pardoned of his mail fraud and perjury convictions, even while a federal investigation was underway regarding additional money laundering and tax evasion charges. Braswell and Carlos Vignali each paid approximately $200,000 to Hillary Clinton’s brother, Hugh Rodham, to represent their respective cases for clemency. Hugh Rodham returned the payments after they were disclosed to the public. Braswell would later invoke the Fifth Amendment at a Senate Committee hearing in 2001, when questioned about allegations of his having systematically defrauded senior citizens of millions of dollars.

Marc Rich, a fugitive, was pardoned of tax evasion, after clemency pleas from Israeli prime minister Ehud Barak, among many other international luminaries. Denise Rich, Marc’s former wife, was a close friend of the Clintons and had made substantial donations to both Clinton’s library and Hillary’s Senate campaign. Several months after her last donation, emails reveal Republican attorney “Scooter” Libby asked her to approach Clinton about pardoning Marc Rich. Clinton agreed to a pardon that required Marc Rich to pay a $100,000,000 fine before he could return to the United States. According to Paul Volcker’s independent investigation of Iraqi Oil-for-Food kickback schemes, Marc Rich was a middleman for several suspect Iraqi oil deals involving over 4 million barrels of oil.

Susan McDougal, who had already completed her sentence, was pardoned for her role in the Whitewater scandal; McDougal had served 18 months on contempt charges for refusing to testify about Clinton’s role.

Dan Rostenkowski, a former Democratic Congressman convicted in the Congressional Post Office Scandal. Rostenkowski had served his entire sentence.

Melvin J. Reynolds, a Democratic Congressman from Illinois, who was convicted of bank fraud, 12 counts of sexual assault, obstruction of justice, and solicitation of child pornography had his sentence commuted on the bank fraud charged and was allowed to serve the final months under the auspices of a half way house. He had served his entire sentence on child sex abuse charges before the commutation of the later convictions.

Roger Clinton, the president’s half-brother, on drug charges after having served the entire sentence more than a decade before. Roger Clinton would be charged with drunk driving and disorderly conduct in an unrelated incident within a year of the pardon.[14] He was also briefly alleged to have been utilized in lobbying for the Braswell pardon, among others.

Some other controversial Pardons by Clinton:

Edgar and Vonna Jo Gregory pardons

In March 2000, Bill Clinton pardoned Edgar and Vonna Jo Gregory, owners of the carnival company United Shows International, for charges of bank fraud from a 1982 conviction (the couple were already out of jail, but the prior conviction prevented them from doing business transactions in certain states).

FALN Pardons in 1999.

On August 11, 1999, Clinton commuted the sentences of 16 members of FALN, a violent Puerto Rican nationalist group that set off 120 bombs in the United States.

FLLaw33870 on July 2, 2007 at 7:53 PM

Ropera on July 2, 2007 at 7:40 PM

Apparently you think bribing foriegn nationals has no national security implications, eh?

Topsecretk9 on July 2, 2007 at 7:56 PM

For everyone that thinks Libby should have been pardoned. A pardon at this time would NOT be in Scooter’s best interests. A commutation is, it allows him to be free while he pursues his appeal, and he has a real good shot at having his conviction overturned.

That is MUCH BETTER than a pardon, because it will repudiate the Special Prosecutor’s whole handling of the affair. Sometimes you have to calm your emotions and look past the end of your nose. Try it, you’d be surprised at what you might learn.

Besides, GW can pardon him later if the appeal goes against him. Carry on.

cmdrsubfleet on July 2, 2007 at 7:57 PM

sonnyspats1 on July 2, 2007 at 7:08 PM

No a pardon would have completely closed the case. No however Libby is fully capable of appealing his conviction, with everything that that entails.

Just what does that entail you ask?

It means…

a) bringing out the fact that Plame was not a covert operative. She had not been a covert operative since since 1994, in the late 80′s or early 90′s Aldrich Ames sold a list of CIA covert agents to the KGB, Valerie Plame was one of the agents he gave up and the CIA knew it. They knew it because in late 80′s and early 90′s every contact of Valerie’s turned up dead right after meeting with her.

b) it means bring out in the open Ambassador Joe Wilson’s testimony before congress about Iraq’s attempts to purchase yellowcake from Niger, testimony where Joe Wilson knowingly and intentionally perjured himself in front of congress.

c) It means bringing Valerie Plame’s testimony up where she testified before congress that she had nothing what so ever to do with sending her husband to Niger on a fact finding mission to look into claims that Iraq was attempting to purchase yellowcake from Niger, testimony where Valerie Plame knowingly and intentionally committed perjury before congress regarding her actual role in sending Ambassador Joe Wilson to Niger.

doriangrey on July 2, 2007 at 7:59 PM

One more half-hearted move from GWB. Should have pardoned Libby the day of the verdict with a statement scorning the Stalinist show trial nonsense of the entire b.s. escapade by the preposterous prosecutor and his smarmy Democrat shills.

Bush is now for letting Libby waste more money on a petition against a political prosecution for a non-crime that Armitage got nothing for, because there was no covert status blown under the existing laws.

The Weakness continues.

If Scooter had been an illegal alien, he’s have gotten not only a full pardon but a sobby mention and fulsome bow-fest at the next State of the Union address.

I how Putin and George weren’t playing any poker this weekend.

profitsbeard on July 2, 2007 at 7:59 PM

Exit question: What part of the definition of the word “factoid” doesn’t the left nutroots understand?

warpmine on July 2, 2007 at 8:00 PM

hope, not “how“, above at the end.

profitsbeard on July 2, 2007 at 8:02 PM

ohhh, Olbermann is crying and whining. good video.

Ripclawe on July 2, 2007 at 8:04 PM

I have yet to hear any mention today of how stacked Libby’s jury was (including a former WaPo reporter), nor anything about the jury’s statements after the trial that showed that his chances of getting a fair and impartial trial in D.C. were well below slim and none–even aside from Fitz’s witch hunt. But for those of you who weren’t around here back then, here’s the thread from the day of the verdict.

ReubenJCogburn on July 2, 2007 at 8:05 PM

Obama’s statement on his web site (in the headlines) further exposes him as a total douchebag with his mirror projection of cynicism, political pandering, partisanship and corruption.

Jaibones on July 2, 2007 at 8:06 PM

God knows the polls are always right and the polled always honest.

I know, right? Like that time Hot Air posters pointed out how all those 2006 polls were LIES OF THE LBRAL MEDIA and then Republicans won the election.

You’re right, totally.

Fragility on July 2, 2007 at 8:07 PM

Heh.

That link to CNN says that the only president with a lower number of pardons and commutations is George H.W. Bush, and he was only in office for 4 years. Clinton had more than double…

nailinmyeye on July 2, 2007 at 8:15 PM

KABLOOEY

Jim Treacher on July 2, 2007 at 8:15 PM

Fragility on July 2, 2007 at 8:07 PM

Nice try but you are confusing that error in polls with the 04 exit polls that had Kerry win the White House. That was hillarious.

sonnyspats1 on July 2, 2007 at 8:16 PM

…Joe Biden calling on Americans to flood the White House phone lines the way amnesty opponents did…

I say we flood the White House phone lines with calls thanking the President for commuting the sentence. Then when they tally everything up they’ll have to say, “Calls in favor of the President’s decision were running 3:1″ HAHAHAHAHA.

IrishEi on July 2, 2007 at 8:28 PM

Pardon Ramos and Campean? Sorry, old bean. Only friends of George are entitled to commutation of excessive sentences. Those two chaps just are not Skulls and Bones material.

V the K on July 2, 2007 at 8:32 PM

doriangrey on July 2, 2007 at 7:59 PM

I was aware of some of those facts. This whole fiasco is about the Bush lied syndrome. It has come full circle. This case was a witch hunt from the very beginning. If this is the reaction to a commuted sentence wait till Libby’s appeal trial.

sonnyspats1 on July 2, 2007 at 8:32 PM

KABLOOEY

Jim Treacher on July 2, 2007 at 8:15 PM

Huh. I would have expected significantly more seething. Pity, that.

I guess I’ll go look at Medea Benjamin getting a pie in the face again.

Pablo on July 2, 2007 at 8:36 PM