Video: “Every time he threw a punch he was shouting, ‘Allah’”; Update: U.S. had intel about Glasgow threat two weeks ago?

posted at 4:23 pm on June 30, 2007 by Allahpundit

Jim Treacher e-mails to say that pretty soon this clip is going to be all over YouTube thanks to this dude’s impenetrable accent, so I might as well be the one to put it out there. Anyone want to try translating this from whatever language he’s speaking into English? The only part I got was, “I seen a man e-gress that vehicle.” Oh, and the part about “Allah,” of course.

Update: A big scoop at the Blotter. Was there “chatter” about this in international jihadi circles?

U.S. law enforcement officials received intelligence reports two weeks ago warning of a possible terror attack in Glasgow against “airport infrastructure or aircraft,” a senior US law enforcement officials tells the Blotter on ABCNews.com.

The intelligence reports also warned that airports and aircraft in the Czech Republic could be the targets of al Qaeda-connected terrorists.

The warnings were kept secret for operational reasons, according to officials…

A US official told ABCNews.com that the intelligence reports led to the assignment of Federal Air Marshals to flights into and out of both Glasgow and Prague.

Update: By “kept secret” they must mean from the public, not from MI5. It’s worth noting too that the Blotter’s bombshell report yesterday about British police having a “crystal clear” image of the suspect has also been challenged today. Sometimes Brian Ross and the boys seem to let their taste for their scoops get the better of them. Take this with a grain of salt.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Pardon me stewardess, I speak jive…

see-dubya on June 30, 2007 at 5:08 PM

ROFL!

Question: What was it like in there?
Answer: It was a beeg pless with lots of passengers trying to get connectin flights to Heathrow, but that’s noot important rawt noo.

Tennman on June 30, 2007 at 7:48 PM

Set phasers to malkie

PeteRR on June 30, 2007 at 7:50 PM

Move along folks nothing to see here. I was wrong there was something to see, a POS Muslims trying to kill people that did nothing to them.

American8298 on June 30, 2007 at 7:57 PM

He wasn’t, however, likely to have been a Muslim…

gmoonster on June 30, 2007 at 4:26 PM

LMAO, you must be doing your Alan Colmes impersonation! Be careful when doing any Colmes or pacifist impersonations, I’d hate for you to become permanently brain damaged and/or become a wuss like Colmes and the rest of their ilk!

Liberty or Death on June 30, 2007 at 8:00 PM

I’m guessing the Human Torch was late for his plane.

pat on June 30, 2007 at 7:23 PM

The former Jihadist and now crispy critter must have been a Richard Pryor fan…

Liberty or Death on June 30, 2007 at 8:05 PM

It was a big place with lots of passengers trying to get connecting flights to Heathrow. But that’s not important right now.

American8298 on June 30, 2007 at 8:07 PM

Who is Jim Treacher?

Nobody.

Jim Treacher on June 30, 2007 at 8:09 PM

What’s up with Brits calling Muslims “Asians?” I’m Asian and Jewish. WTF would they call me?

Heblew.

Jim Treacher on June 30, 2007 at 8:11 PM

Pardon me stewardess, I speak jive…

see-dubya on June 30, 2007 at 5:08 PM

LOL, speaking of movie quotes and the Scottish, reminds me of the movie “So I Married an Axe Murder” when Myers playing the part of the father relentlessly teases the little kid about the size of his head, “will ya look at the size of the head on that one, damn thing has its own gravitation pull!” “Poor sod, probably cry himself to sleep now.”

Liberty or Death on June 30, 2007 at 8:13 PM

How many times to Muslims have to attack before we no longer notice?

It’s not as if this is anything new or different.

Shouldn’t it be reported with the same mundane familiarity as the weather?

Nerd in Front of Blue Screen/Map

Today, we have several impending terrorist plots that fizzled in the England and Scotland areas.

Looking for more of the same in the U.S. the near future…

profitsbeard on June 30, 2007 at 8:14 PM

Liberty or Death on June 30, 2007 at 8:13 PM

That’s some funny shit right there homer.

American8298 on June 30, 2007 at 8:16 PM

Mk Hammer I no its old but I love SouthPark

American8298 on June 30, 2007 at 8:21 PM

I hate it, when I have to subdue a flaming man. I would be more of the mind to say:” Get back! give him some air!”
TheSitRep on June 30, 2007 at 5:58 PM

Hehehe…or keep the scum-bag running toward you to fan the flames! I personally would have grabbed the nearest fire extinguisher, not to put the human torch out but because they’re real heavy and one shot to the scum-bags face with the butt of the extinguisher would of incapacitated the murdering Islamo-zealot!

Liberty or Death on June 30, 2007 at 8:36 PM

Like Johnny Sokko and his Flying Robot fighting fight the gargoyle and saving the human race.

American8298 on June 30, 2007 at 8:37 PM

Mk Hammer I no its old but I love SouthPark

American8298 on June 30, 2007 at 8:21 PM

Hehehe, an oldie but a goodie, South Park kicks A$$!

Liberty or Death on June 30, 2007 at 8:41 PM

it is ridiculous how they use “Asian” to refer to people whose origins are in Asia, the well-known continent. Political correctness is running RIOT.

cardindex7 on June 30, 2007 at 8:47 PM

With the questionable timing, some right-wing crack pot is probably going to blame the Islamic terrorist. They are so quick to point there self-righteous fingers.

TheSitRep on June 30, 2007 at 5:58 PM

Don’t mean to insult you TheSitRep, I know you’re being sarcastic but your quote sounds a lot like what Alan Colmes was saying last night on H&C!

Alan is such a wuss, he needs to ask his wife for his clankers back, but then again she’s probably the one that took them from him until he knows how to be a man!

Liberty or Death on June 30, 2007 at 8:47 PM

was he yelling allah or falafel? they always sound alike to me when the screamers on fire.

Locrian on June 30, 2007 at 5:04 PM

OFLMAO, this one gets my vote for funniest post on this thread!

Liberty or Death on June 30, 2007 at 8:57 PM

Gregor on June 30, 2007 at 5:08 PM

I also heard that 3000 Jews canceled their airline tickets days before.

Also heard recently that cars are remote controlled and can part themselves, that the CIA had control of others cars the day before.

Come on, how can a car going 120 MPH hit the front of an airport? One slight mis-judgement and they would of missed their target. I am not a physicist though.

WoosterOh on June 30, 2007 at 9:02 PM

I like the part where he said “Ye make take our lives…but ye will never take…our freeeeedom!”

see-dubya on June 30, 2007 at 5:09 PM

Words that harken back to William Wallace a legendary Scottsman, we could use more William Wallaces’ and George Pattons right now!

Liberty or Death on June 30, 2007 at 9:03 PM

Freaking Reuters is now changing the story

American8298 on June 30, 2007 at 9:08 PM

My native tongue is German and I had no problem whatsoever understanding what the lad had to say. FloatingRock has done a good start on the translation. However, if I were to translate it, you wouldn’t be able to understand, because of my German accent. :-)

THN on June 30, 2007 at 9:08 PM

William Wallace McCall
(1272?-1305), Scottish patriot and national hero who led several uprisings against English rule in Scotland. Wallace’s…

American8298 on June 30, 2007 at 9:11 PM

My 2 cents: looks like there was a beehicle on phlegms

Ropera on June 30, 2007 at 9:13 PM

I guess the Scottish 1/8th of my heritage works better than I thought; it takes a little focus, but I can understand him pretty clearly.

As for the man shouting “Allah! Allah!”, it’s probably just a communication problem. I expect he was actually yelling “Achoo! Achoo!”, likely being allergic to fire.

Blacklake on June 30, 2007 at 9:15 PM

LOL

American8298 on June 30, 2007 at 9:17 PM

Heblew.

Jim Treacher on June 30, 2007 at 8:11 PM

Hmmm… I’d have gone with Heb-Woo

RightWinged on June 30, 2007 at 9:29 PM

There’s a backlash a-brewin’. The time for killing flies with sledgehammers is approaching because no one in power took the initial threat seriously enough.

Krydor on June 30, 2007 at 5:14 PM

Amen to that, and it’s about damn time too! Time to squash the nasty rodents!

Liberty or Death on June 30, 2007 at 9:48 PM

I was able to understand him as well. My Mom (Mum) is originally from Scotland and she STILL has an accent after 40 years here. I’ve lots of family in Scotland, so I’m used to heavy accents.

The wee baggage handler was wrong on one thing, though; they do NOT love everybody. They are largely Socialist.

Lori_Z on June 30, 2007 at 9:50 PM

Yes he is, and observant too. Sounds like he may have a military background.

infidel4life on June 30, 2007 at 5:17 PM

Careful Infidel, we don’t want to give the moonbats more conspiracy fodder!(sarc)

Liberty or Death on June 30, 2007 at 9:53 PM

You’re telling me that some amateurish Methodist (of the Allah sect) is skilled enough to drive a Jeep, and do it so skillfully that he could hit an airport terminal, and then, while he is on fire, scream “Allah, Allah” all while punching policemen in Scotland? Obviously, this “Jeep” was really a cruise missile controlled by Dick Cheney from his airplane that never lands, and this “Jihadi” (Methodist) was really one of those Japanese Robot girls whose rubber skin was on fire and was screaming “Allah deska.” (From Uneducated Scholars for 6/30 Truth)

p40tiger on June 30, 2007 at 9:53 PM

Some light Baptist humor. What are the three things the Baptist’s don’t recognize?
cmdrsubfleet stated:

1. They don’t recognize the Holy Trinity.
2. They don’t recognize the Pope as Gods’ Earthly representative.
3. And they don’t recognize each other in the liquor store.

Funny but that is not true. I was raised a Baptist and let me say that we DO recognize the Trinity! The Pope is what? LOL and finally would you pick me up a pint while there?

FLLaw33870 on June 30, 2007 at 9:55 PM

cardindex7 on June 30, 2007 at 8:47 PM

Pakistan is Asia so is Kazakstan, Afganistan, Kurdistan and so on.

We can than Gengis Khan for that.

Speakup on June 30, 2007 at 9:58 PM

than=thank

Speakup on June 30, 2007 at 9:59 PM

Religion does not care what your genes are people

American8298 on June 30, 2007 at 10:04 PM

American8298 on June 30, 2007 at 10:37 PM

I understood most of what he said too. You all are just too funny! I love the quick wits here :)

So how is Reuters(sp)changing the story?

CCRWM on June 30, 2007 at 10:51 PM

Are so serious?

Well maybe I get it only because I’ve watched way too much Red Dwarf, Dr. Who, etc.

- The Cat

P.S. No such thing as too much of that, I know.

MirCat on June 30, 2007 at 11:06 PM

The way the car sped up as it approached the airport made me think of Episcopalians on the way to a protest. However, they would have been shouting ‘My-fault, My-fault’ not Al-lah, Al-lah

Listening to our scots eye witness suggests another possibility. These poor asians were lost. They had a car loaded with gas in a country that is swimming in North Sea Oil. This is like carrying coals to Newcastle.

The poor lost asians stopped by the airport and politely asked the baggage handler how to get out of Scotland. He no doubt pointed at the terminal and said sommat like ” Yeh goo thray thase dooors en bouy a taket layk inny oothur dimmed grooby aheesian beestrds en poot eet oop yerss”

Misunderstanding the thick Lowlander accent they thanked him politely and shouting al-la al-la they followed his advice.

entagor on June 30, 2007 at 11:09 PM

I understood it all, must be in the genes.

sMack on June 30, 2007 at 11:32 PM

I understood him well enough. My question is…did anyone else notice the fire hoses were aiming at everything BUT the actual fire?!? What gives?

thedecider on June 30, 2007 at 11:37 PM

I understood every word, seriously. It must be all that time I spent watching Jackie Stewart commentate on auto races on ABC back in the ’70s.

rivlax on June 30, 2007 at 11:43 PM

Here’s the transcript I could glean from the first half of the interview:

Witness: What I seen first, was I was out for a
cigarette… a smoke break; heard the commotions,
passengers running. So I’ve come around the corner,
looked to my left and seen a vehicle, a Jeep, crashed into
the front of the terminal building, on flames. I seen a
man egress that vehicle from the passenger side. As he
came round the back, the policeman was running
towards him to assess, and the man then went aforward
and then started to attack the policeman.

So myself and other members of the public went forward
to assist the policeman, and one of those members of the
public was injured in the fracas. The police came along.
The police were there within seconds, within minutes.

Then they restrained both the people. And the one who
was in flames from head to toe, covered in flames, who
then gets up off the ground and then goes forward to
attack the police. The police then subdue him, as they
have then subdued the other man.

And the rest of the time, the building…the vehicle is
entirely enguled in flames, and then the building itself is
(unintelligible).

Reporter:
So the men were trying to keep the police
officers away from the vehicle, is that your take on it?

Witness: I don’t know if they were trying to keep the
police away, or if they were just out to attack the police
because the police were running (unintelligible). The
way it looked was, as soon as he got out of the vehicle,
the first thing he looked for was that policeman. And you
know he was just flinging punches left right and center
on them, and sure he was shouting “Allah, Allah.” Every
time he threw a punch he was shouting “Allah.”

MsUnderestimated on June 30, 2007 at 11:48 PM

I understand him a heck of a lot better than the five male teenagers running through my back yard speaking Arabic and giving me sideways glances after I told them to go away.

dm60462 on July 1, 2007 at 12:02 AM

I love those accents. If you didn’t get anything out of that clip but “egress,” I’m sure you’ll be able to catch the key word in this little gem.

If I’m not mistaken, the actress who plays the mother in this clip was the redhead in the Star Trek send-up. Am I right?

But seriously,

Remember what happened in Holland, shortly after Theo Van Gogh got murdered? The tolerant Dutch were torching Muslim schools. If it can happen in Holland, it can happen anywhere.

smellthecoffee on July 1, 2007 at 12:33 AM

smellthecoffee on July 1, 2007 at 12:33 AM

I’m still wiping away the tears of laughter from that one. British tele still provides that certain shock value we just don’t get on this side of the pond.

thedecider on July 1, 2007 at 12:40 AM

thedecider on July 1, 2007 at 12:40 AM

One of my faves, glad you liked it. I’ve been watching it for something like two years every once in a while, and I only now finally just figured out what the neighbor says at the very beginning–”It’s a real drying day.” Man. I wonder if they are teaching that brogue as a real language over there, like Scottish Ebonics.

smellthecoffee on July 1, 2007 at 12:50 AM

“Every time he threw a punch he was shouting, ‘Allah’”

Clearly the man is a boxing fan, and was yelling “Ali!” in tribute to boxing legend Muhammad Ali. The “baggage handler” deliberately failed to mention the man’s use of the rope-a-dope, which would confirm this story.

ReubenJCogburn on July 1, 2007 at 4:13 AM

1) Ay, kevcad stole me thunderrr (roll that ‘r’ when you read this please). Craig Ferguson will probably have the best take on this come Monday. (And not all for laughs, I’m sure. He’s a pretty keen social observer for a h.s. dropout.)

2) I thought I was pretty good at deciphering the brogue, given how many del amitri concerts I attended in the 90s (including, alas, a Denver show the night Di died, the only time I heard lead singer/raconteur Justin Currie less than chatty between songs), but even some of this flew by me.

3) Is it me, or did the baggage handler look a wee bit like Ryan Seacrest and/or Ty Pennington sans hair gel?

4) To be fair, how easy would it have been for the Scots to decipher Brooklynese if this had happened at JFK or LGA airports? Fuggedaboudit…knowwhumsane?

Captain Scarlet on July 1, 2007 at 7:51 AM

I can understand him just fine… Of course, I can do a pretty good fake Scottish accent, so maybe that helps.

Evilwhiteguy on July 1, 2007 at 2:02 PM

LONG LIVE SCOTLAND!!!!!!!

I Love this guy. FREEEDOOOMMMMMM!!!!!!

NeoConSnakePlissken on July 2, 2007 at 10:35 AM

“Jihadspotting”…omg I’m freakin’ dying.

No doubt!

Get BEGBY on their A$$e$!!

*Language and violence warning* *but worth it*

Schweggie on July 2, 2007 at 10:49 AM

oops, link didn’t work, here it is

Schweggie on July 2, 2007 at 10:50 AM

It’s actually a mild accent for a Glaswegen.

chris00nj on July 2, 2007 at 12:51 PM

I like EJS’s translation the best xD. Beautiful man!!!

Aylios on July 2, 2007 at 2:57 PM

He makes more sense than say, John Edwards.

AZCON on July 2, 2007 at 8:57 PM

He’s actually pretty articulate for a baggage handler!
carlitos on June 30, 2007 at 4:41 PM

Yes he is, and observant too. Sounds like he may have a military background.

infidel4life on June 30, 2007 at 5:17 PM

I thought the same thing. He delivered his rapid-fire report as if he was in an AAR. Used words like egress, assist the police, to assess, subdue, restrain…

Whatever – as long as it’s said with a Scots accent, it’s adorable.

heh I’ll be flying into Glasgow this September 11th. (Rugby World Cup is in Edinburgh this year – Scots v New Zealand, oy) Looking forward to it.

Redhead Infidel on July 2, 2007 at 11:10 PM