ABC asks physicists: What was it like for Mitt’s mutt?

posted at 9:58 pm on June 30, 2007 by Allahpundit

Very clearly a hit piece, yet just goofy and tongue-in-cheek enough to qualify as ironic and “playful.” Jon Stewart has taught you well, young Skywalker.

Background here if you missed Muttgate when it first broke. Ann Romney answered the critics this morning, writing on the campaign blog that it’s no big deal, that in fact the little scrapper loved hurtling through space at 60 mph in his cozy kennel camper. Fair enough — but what do Nobel-prize-winning physicists have to say about this very important scientific story?

All kidding aside, what exactly would be the dangers of strapping the family pet to the roof of a speeding vehicle for 12 hours?…

Dr. Russell Cumming, a professor of aerospace engineering at California Polytechnic State University, got a little more technical.

“At that speed, assuming sea level conditions, the poor little dog would have about 10 pounds per square foot pressing against his head,” said Cumming.

And in layman’s terms?

“He would constantly feel a little less than 3 pounds pressing on his head for the entire trip,” he added. “The windshield would help, but boy that would get tired.”

Nobel Prize-winning physicist Douglas Osheroff of physics at Stanford University said the dog crate on top of the car would change the air flow around the vehicle.

“Beyond a certain velocity, the air flow becomes turbulent,” said Osheroff. “The airflow isn’t going to be laminar,” which means it won’t have a uniform distribution.

Cumming said that’s bad news for Seamus.

“Chances are the windshield would only protect the front of the dog, but the air flowing around the windshield would buffet the side of the dog — that would be tiring,” said Cummings. “My wife’s a vet, and she would be more worried by the dehydration of the dog’s eyes under those conditions.”

Coming next week: ABC’s Brian Ross convenes an expert panel of biologists to assess the long-term psychological damage inflicted by Rudy’s “weasel rant” on ferrets.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

If that dog being strapped to the roof is such a bad thing, then i wonder where peta is when you see all these dogs on the back of pickups here in Texas. Where is he ACLU when you see all these wetbacks on the back of pickups?

THN on June 30, 2007 at 10:05 PM

Quit hounding Mitt!

mikeyboss on June 30, 2007 at 10:05 PM

They ain’t nothin’ but houndogs cryin’ all the time. They ain’t never shot a varmint and they ain’t no friend of Mitt’s.

TheBigOldDog on June 30, 2007 at 10:10 PM

Where is he ACLU when you see all these wetbacks on the back of pickups?

Banned.

Allahpundit on June 30, 2007 at 10:10 PM

The dogs only complaint was when they tied granny in her rocking chair up there with him.

wecoyote6969 on June 30, 2007 at 10:18 PM

Didn’t Mitt say the dog used to jump up there on his own? That’s enough for me.

PowWow on June 30, 2007 at 10:20 PM

Banned.

Allahpundit on June 30, 2007 at 10:10 PM

Thank you.

BadgerHawk on June 30, 2007 at 10:25 PM

Here’s a little experiment.

Take one Irish Setter. Put him in a car. Accelerate to 60 MPH. Roll down a window proximate to the Irish Setter. Observe the Irish Setter’s response. Report findings.

Pablo on June 30, 2007 at 10:27 PM

I’m not sure what’s stupider. This or the Ferret thing. Is this really how low and sad the political coverage has become already?

lorien1973 on June 30, 2007 at 10:28 PM

Allahpundit on June 30, 2007 at 10:10 PM

When he moves, he slices like a f@#king hammer!

Pablo on June 30, 2007 at 10:28 PM

Flash! Mitt Romney, at age 12, destroyed an ENTIRE colony of ants with his magnifying glass! Meanwhile fred? Thompson, age 12, lobbies the neighborhood to limit dog owners liability after their dog mauled several kids on the street.

csdeven on June 30, 2007 at 10:28 PM

When I was a teenager my brother had a ferret and he was a great pet! No kidding, he was a lot of fun to play with and his antics were hilarious.

I don’t know the background story; maybe the caller has hundreds of ferrets living in his home or something, in which case Rudy’s advice would be valid, but I wonder if Rudy is the one with psychological problems. Did Rudy pass a law against ferrets and weasels in NY, I’m assuming? If so, maybe that’s why he’s trying to find a new home for himself in DC.

Unfortunately for Rudy there is a sizable portion of the population of this country who love their pets and a lot of them vote Republican. This is not going to help his chances of finding a new home.

FloatingRock on June 30, 2007 at 10:29 PM

Hey, my dog lays in direct sunlight on a hot day and pants. You figure that one out.

Dogs are stupid and lovable. I doubt Sparky was horribly traumatized, he probably just enjoyed the scenery and the smell of the open road.

Its a freaking dog people (by which I mean the Muttgate morons), they only complain when you accidentely step on them or deliberately mistreat them, and doing the latter is punishable by law. The dog isn’t thinking about how many psi are on its face, its probably distracted by getting to see more than one house and yard.

BKennedy on June 30, 2007 at 10:29 PM

You can be a Democrat drive off a bridge drunk and kill a woman and the media loves you. If you’re a Republican and you put an Irish Setter in a kennel on the roof, you’re the devil.

TheBigOldDog on June 30, 2007 at 10:30 PM

I’m sorry, but who…in their right mind…would ever put a dog in a carrier, on the roof of their car??

I’m totally convinced that the more money people have, the less common sense they display. It’s all correlated.

JetBoy on June 30, 2007 at 10:33 PM

I understand the appeal for ferrets. What I don’t get is the smell. Maybe that is a reflection on the owner, but every person I have ever met with a ferret kept them in long meandering cages in their homes, and they always smelled real bad.

csdeven on June 30, 2007 at 10:34 PM

Hey’ when you have a candidate who really can pass the white glove test of political cleanliness you gotta find something on the dog, then you milk it for all its worth.

Gwillie on June 30, 2007 at 10:34 PM

I love my dawg, at least Mitt did not put him in some flea-bag kennel, he brought him along for the trip.They love that.

bbz123 on June 30, 2007 at 10:34 PM

I was flipping though the channels last night when I came upon the movie Ghandi and a scene of a bunch of people riding on top of a train in India(something I think see happens in a lot of places)..and thought if these people can ride on a train with no ill effect just how bad could it have been for a dog who at least had a carrier to protect him from the elements.

mlong on June 30, 2007 at 10:36 PM

BKennedy on June 30, 2007 at 10:29 PM

My dog doesn’t lap water when she drinks. She sticks her entire muzzle up to her eyeballs into the trough and sucks it in.

csdeven on June 30, 2007 at 10:37 PM

JetBoy on June 30, 2007 at 10:33 PM

Not stupid, heartless. He clearly didn’t care much about the dog and neither did anybody else in that car. I am assuming of coarse this wasn’t some nice kennel that actually blocked the wind and secured nicely to the roof – one that you’d have a high degree of confidence the dog wouldn’t be hurt of uncomfortable in. However, the hypocrisy of the media is sickening.

TheBigOldDog on June 30, 2007 at 10:38 PM

I’m a little confused as to why Romney put the dog on the roof at all.

amerpundit on June 30, 2007 at 10:38 PM

This sounds like something for Mythbusters.

boomer on June 30, 2007 at 10:38 PM

Considering a dog’s keen sense of hearing, the sound of the wind must have been painful as well.

Rose on June 30, 2007 at 10:40 PM

Csdeven;

That’s true, they can smell really bad but their scent gland can be removed. Considering the population density of NY I could certainly understand a law requiring the removal of that gland.

FloatingRock on June 30, 2007 at 10:41 PM

…but every person I have ever met with a ferret kept them in long meandering cages in their homes, and they always smelled real bad.

csdeven on June 30, 2007 at 10:34 PM

One of my college roomates had 2 ferrets he kept in our apartment for a semester…but they ran around like cats, and got into everything . They were supposedly “de-smelled” or whatever the proper term is, but they still stinkied up the place.

JetBoy on June 30, 2007 at 10:41 PM

lol. Shoulda put goggles and a scarf on him.

Can someone talk me through how to link to something. I think I have all the other buttons clicky rectangles, but can’t get anything to link.

BadgerHawk on June 30, 2007 at 10:41 PM

I’m a little confused as to why Romney put the dog on the roof at all.
amerpundit on June 30, 2007 at 10:38 PM

His wife said the dog loved it.

csdeven on June 30, 2007 at 10:42 PM

BadgerHawk on June 30, 2007 at 10:41 PM

Snoopy? Maybe the dog pretended he was fighting the Red baron for twelves hours?

csdeven on June 30, 2007 at 10:43 PM

To link: Highlite the text you want to link from. Click the link button and insert the link addy in the box. hit OK.

csdeven on June 30, 2007 at 10:44 PM

Some people just shouldn’t have pets.

Rose on June 30, 2007 at 10:46 PM

Shazam!

BadgerHawk on June 30, 2007 at 10:47 PM

This sounds like something for Mythbusters.
boomer on June 30, 2007 at 10:38 PM

hahaha! They’ll have to design an butthole pucker meter to gage just how scared the dog gets. Will it read in foot pounds or inch pounds?

csdeven on June 30, 2007 at 10:47 PM

Then why do dogs love hanging their heads out of the car window? A dog’s keen hearing allows him to hear things well beyond the frequency range that we’d hear. It isn’t an amplifier.

Pablo on June 30, 2007 at 10:49 PM

OK, so the smell has nothing to do with cleaning up the waste. I guess I’d descent mine if I had one.

csdeven on June 30, 2007 at 10:50 PM

I was thinking they could start off on a scale project…say a Chiuaua on top an R/C car.

boomer on June 30, 2007 at 10:51 PM

Dogs are not people. I love dogs, I have dogs, but they are not people. They poop wherever they want, they sniff other dogs’ butts, they eat old stuff off the floor, they like to hang their heads out the windows until the slobber runs all the way down the side of the car. For a physicist to assess the comfort of the dog based on human conditions doesn’t say much for the physicist. The dog might not have liked it the whole time, but I’ll guarantee you he didn’t hate it nearly as much as you would.

speed911 on June 30, 2007 at 10:51 PM

And that was yet another pointless post by speed. lol

Regards

speed911 on June 30, 2007 at 10:52 PM

The back story on the ferret is that this ferret owner and Rudy had words once before and I guess Rudy felt that this guy was insanely obsessed with his ferrets and needed to get a life.

I think Rudy did the right thing by trying to impress on the guy just what is worth devoting your life to and what is not worth devoting your life to.

csdeven on June 30, 2007 at 10:52 PM

boomer, that’s a solid experiment design.

Pablo on June 30, 2007 at 10:53 PM

boomer on June 30, 2007 at 10:51 PM

ROFLMAO!

csdeven on June 30, 2007 at 10:53 PM

Anyone else ride a motorcycle?

BadgerHawk on June 30, 2007 at 10:54 PM

I live in Illinois where there is no law mandating motorcycle helmets. Perhaps the physicists could be persuaded to work their magic to see which is worse on the head.

rockdalian on June 30, 2007 at 10:56 PM

speed911 on June 30, 2007 at 10:51 PM

LOL! So true!

I’ve seen some pretty tough characters riding 80 MPH on a motorcycle eating bugs and smiling like the Cheshire cat.

csdeven on June 30, 2007 at 10:57 PM

Pablo
When a dog puts its’ head out the window he has control. When he is tired he pulls it back in, and then out again. Also, the wind isn’t hitting against anything. This dog had no control over its’ environment. But apparently there are people here who have no problem with the abuse of a family pet. So, vote for Mitt.

Rose on June 30, 2007 at 10:58 PM

Rose on June 30, 2007 at 10:58 PM

I don’t think anyone here has said they would stick their dog on the roof, but at the same time if its Mitt vs. Clinton, well I see your point Rose, Hillary08!

BadgerHawk on June 30, 2007 at 11:01 PM

Ah, so it’s the violation of his autonomy that’s the problem?

Dogs with complete control of their environment often eat dookie. Just sayin’.

On a more serious note, assume such a kennel, set sideways on a station wagon roof rack, presumably with the the luggage.

I continue to fail to be outraged.

Pablo on June 30, 2007 at 11:02 PM

Top 10 reasons why this gives me paws.

10. I think they’re barking up the wrong tree.
9. It’s a case of the tail wagging the dog.
8. They’re panting after a story.
7. They’re doggone wrong on this one.
6. They didn’t fetch all the right facts.
5. Their yapping is getting on my nerves
4. Seamus was not a Lassie.
3. Their insurance had no rider claws.
2. That dog won’t hunt.
1. Maybe they should have put him in the Rover.

Tennman on June 30, 2007 at 11:03 PM

Oh! It’s an “Experts Say” article.
Physicist and Aerospace, no less, with obviously waaaaaaay to much free time on their hands.
But, curiously, no vet.
Or perhaps the ever bouncy Irish Setter Seamus didn’t need any help from anyone.
News? Science Fiction, and poorly concocted SF at that.

naliaka on June 30, 2007 at 11:07 PM

I don’t think it’s going to come down to Mitt and Hillary. So I feel I’m safe in not being impressed with Mitt. But I already didn’t like him. If I had this would have given me pause and I would have hoped that he realized his lack of judgment on this issue and would understand how some people would feel about it. But I would gather that he is probably like a lot of the posters here.

Rose on June 30, 2007 at 11:08 PM

I’m more concerned with how people might feel about being forced to buy into his health insurance scheme. But I’m funny like that.

Pablo on June 30, 2007 at 11:10 PM

But I would gather that he is probably like a lot of the posters here.

Rose on June 30, 2007 at 11:08 PM

You gather a lot, based on one of the crappiest written hit-pieces in the past decade.

naliaka on June 30, 2007 at 11:11 PM

That’s why Mitt! drove through a couple of rain storms on the way.

csdeven on June 30, 2007 at 11:15 PM

Uh Doug, aren’t you supposed to be on the View supporting Rosie’s WTC7 conspiracy theories?

RightWinged on June 30, 2007 at 11:15 PM

I love the Ferret Rant. I actually respected Rudy more after I heard the Ferret Rant the first time.

Bad Candy on June 30, 2007 at 11:17 PM

Top 10 reasons why this gives me paws.

10. I think they’re barking up the wrong tree.
9. It’s a case of the tail wagging the dog.
8. They’re panting after a story.
7. They’re doggone wrong on this one.
6. They didn’t fetch all the right facts.
5. Their yapping is getting on my nerves
4. Seamus was not a Lassie.
3. Their insurance had no rider claws.
2. That dog won’t hunt.
1. Maybe they should have put him in the Rover.

Tennman on June 30, 2007 at 11:03 PM

*GROAN* That is awful…

Bad Candy on June 30, 2007 at 11:19 PM

If I had this would have given me pause…
Rose on June 30, 2007 at 11:08 PM

We obviously think alike, Rose. ;-)

Tennman on June 30, 2007 at 11:19 PM

Bad Candy on June 30, 2007 at 11:19 PM

Heh.

Tennman on June 30, 2007 at 11:20 PM

There’s two issues here, unrelated. One, Mitt was certainly heartless to do that to an animal. Two, the media will use this for political hay.

If you don’t want to vote for Mitt because of animal cruelty, good, vote for another conservative candidate. But using this as a reason to vote for a liberal candidate come Nov 08, bad.

jihadwatcher on June 30, 2007 at 11:25 PM

You gotta be shittin me. This is still a story?

I want to talk to the dog. Was he scared? Did he lick Mitt after he got down? Has he been mentally damaged as a result?

Is he now scared of cars? Of the wind?

Is this the best the media can do?

BacaDog on June 30, 2007 at 11:26 PM

We all know the Left has no problem with animal cruelty. Muslims are by far the cruelest ethnic group to animals. Yet, we all know how the Left loves the muslims and hasn’t a bad word about them. There is a saying: There are two things you don’t want to be in a muslim country. One is a dog.

jihadwatcher on June 30, 2007 at 11:29 PM

Pablo on June 30, 2007 at 11:10 PM

The theory is sound. It’s like forcing everyone to have auto insurance.

The idea is, the people pay one way or the other (nobody is denied medical care base don ability to pay today, we all pay through higher rates and taxes) so everyone has to be covered (everyone has to pay their fair share by having a policy from a provider).

Hopefully, it will keep all the freeloaders from using our emergency rooms as their primary care center and not paying a dime (and if you don’t think that’s a major issue you probably haven’t had to go to the emergency room in the last 10 years)

If it will work in practice is a whole other matter. For example, I have no idea what happens if people show up in the emergency room with the flu and no coverage…

TheBigOldDog on June 30, 2007 at 11:31 PM

RightWinged on June 30, 2007 at 11:15 PM

background on my earlier comment:

(Okay, Rosie called on physicists from Harvard and Yale, my bad. By the way, I’ve always thought her departure was partly, even if it was just a small part, because she couldn’t produce these people to support her position after claiming she would)

RightWinged on June 30, 2007 at 11:32 PM

The theory is sound. It’s like forcing everyone to have auto insurance.

Everyone is forced to have liability insurance.

Pablo on June 30, 2007 at 11:34 PM

Rose:

We’re all joking, not because we think it’s funny to put a dog on the roof of a car, but because this is such a stupid story for ABC to be making a big deal about.

BadgerHawk on June 30, 2007 at 11:34 PM

Badger,
I’m sure some of you are joking. And yes, I do think that dragging something up that is this old is just slinging dirt, but I don’t think that excuses his lack of judgment. However, like I said I didn’t like him anyway and really don’t think he has much of a chance. Any Republican is better than Hillary but I would like to vote for a candidate, not just against one.

Rose on June 30, 2007 at 11:43 PM

Oh come on. This happened 34 years ago. That dog has been in doggy heaven for the last 20 years or so, telling his buddies about his vacation adventures with his family. I can’t for the life of me understand why this is an issue at all. Hasn’t anyone seen a cattle truck? Why don’t they wring their hands for the friggin cows? They “go for rides” everyday in big open containers and breathing diesel exhaust. Surely there is a senator somewhere with a vested interest in the cattle industry who condones such treatment. Go after them. Jeez. Non issue.

Guardian on June 30, 2007 at 11:47 PM

Quit hounding Mitt!

mikeyboss on June 30, 2007 at 10:05 PM

Heh.

Banned.

Allahpundit on June 30, 2007 at 10:10 PM

Thanks Allah! :-)

Top 10 reasons why this gives me paws.

10. I think they’re barking up the wrong tree.
9. It’s a case of the tail wagging the dog.
8. They’re panting after a story.
7. They’re doggone wrong on this one.
6. They didn’t fetch all the right facts.
5. Their yapping is getting on my nerves
4. Seamus was not a Lassie.
3. Their insurance had no rider claws.
2. That dog won’t hunt.
1. Maybe they should have put him in the Rover.

Tennman on June 30, 2007 at 11:03 PM

Never a dull moment at HotAir!

Darnell Clayton on June 30, 2007 at 11:48 PM

“34″ years ago? Public school I assume.

Rose on June 30, 2007 at 11:55 PM

oops. But my point is still valid.

Guardian on June 30, 2007 at 11:59 PM

This story reflects poorly on those who try and run with it. Bash Mitt! for something valid for crying out loud.

csdeven on July 1, 2007 at 12:01 AM

Allahpundit on June 30, 2007 at 10:10 PM

When he moves, he slices like a f@#king hammer!

Pablo on June 30, 2007 at 10:28 PM

Heh, no kidding. Not to be all bandwagon I’m glad he did.

No slurs, that’s just the f*cking way it is!

Bad Candy on July 1, 2007 at 12:03 AM

Character is a valid issue. But those who don’t care, won’t change their minds. And those who do will still support him if he is right on enough issues. They will just see it as a lapse.

Rose on July 1, 2007 at 12:03 AM

Mitt didn’t like his dog much.

That’s enough for me not to like him much.

But what does he think of jihadis?

And securing the border?

I’ll take care of my own dogs if he’ll do the national security job.

profitsbeard on July 1, 2007 at 12:05 AM

Rose on July 1, 2007 at 12:03 AM

Lets see if you can answer a direct question.

Who is in the best position to know if what happened 25 years ago was cruel to the dog. Mitt! or you?

csdeven on July 1, 2007 at 12:08 AM

Darnell Clayton on June 30, 2007 at 11:48 PM

Jeez, Darnell, don’t scare me like that! I saw Banned then my list and I thought I had been banned.

I didn’t think the punnishment fit the crime.

Tennman on July 1, 2007 at 12:11 AM

If Mitt was showing poor judgment than how could he be the judge of that action? If what has been reported concerning this incident is true then I would say I am in a better position.

Rose on July 1, 2007 at 12:14 AM

I didn’t think the punnishment fit the crime.

Tennman on July 1, 2007 at 12:11 AM

Heh. I’ll be more careful next time. After all, blockquotes can be deadly. ;-)

Darnell Clayton on July 1, 2007 at 12:15 AM

Rose on July 1, 2007 at 12:14 AM

Wrong. The answer is that Mitt! was there and you were not.

csdeven on July 1, 2007 at 12:19 AM

And Mr. Thompson was there doing all the things that you are constantly criticizing so I guess you will no longer criticize his choices also.

Rose on July 1, 2007 at 12:21 AM

Darnell Clayton on July 1, 2007 at 12:15 AM

Much appreciated. 8-)

Tennman on July 1, 2007 at 12:23 AM

What does fred? have to do with this?

Taking the word of a scientist who’s first sentence uses the word “assuming” is just silly. Especially the people who were there said the dog was fine and LOVED it. Dog owners know when their dogs love something.

Now, getting a transcript, witnesses, and sound bites are something we can sink our teeth into and make a judgment. And when it comes to freds? record, we have no shortage of material to skewer him over.

csdeven on July 1, 2007 at 12:27 AM

You are double minded.

Rose on July 1, 2007 at 12:28 AM

How would you know what a dog likes. You claim that you beat yours.

Rose on July 1, 2007 at 12:35 AM

LOL! Just……LOL!

speed911 on July 1, 2007 at 12:36 AM

Mitt is a flip flopper on abortion, health care and gun control. He was quoted recently as stating he was a life long hunter but only hunted twice in his life. Does that make him a liar too? He might be a good Olympic salesman but I wouldn’t buy aluminum siding or a used car from him.

sonnyspats1 on July 1, 2007 at 12:50 AM

Rose on July 1, 2007 at 12:35 AM

One of my dogs likes to be scratched behind the ears. My other dog likes her throat scratched because her throat was ripped out by her own mother when she was a pup. I stayed up all night and the ensuing days tending to her. Both my dogs like to lay on the cool concrete during the hot summer months. They like cool dirt also as they have dug up two of my flower beds. They don’t like fireworks or thunderstorms because they come hide behind me when they occur. One loves to ride in the car hanging her head out the window whereas they other one does not. Both do not mind the leash and I have never had to use treats to get my dogs to behave. My dogs love me. They love me because I praise them when they do as I command and dogs are most happy when their alpha is happy. So, I am the alpha to my dogs. I engage them as the alpha wolf engages their pack. I use high pitches and low tones to communicate my desires. When dogs know where they are in the hierarchy they are happy. I give them that. I don’t confuse my dogs by letting them be the alpha one day and then subservient the next. I allow them to settle their hierarchy between themselves.

Labs and Retrievers, like Irish setters are working dogs. They are bred to be more tolerant and accepting of extreme conditions. Working dogs will tolerate the loud report of guns etc. They accept confinement and are not traumatized by it. These are not your typical rat bastard yapper dog that needs to be treated like a child and dressed up like a dolly and given a place at the family dinner table and if you scold them they go crap in the middle of your bed. The Irish Setter is a mans dog and he is breed to be a bad ass mo fo.

csdeven on July 1, 2007 at 12:54 AM

It still does not deserve to be placed on top of a station wagon for l2 hours.

Rose on July 1, 2007 at 12:56 AM

csdeven on July 1, 2007 at 12:54 AM

LMAO…….I spit Pepsi on my keyboard!

speed911 on July 1, 2007 at 12:57 AM

sonnyspats1 on July 1, 2007 at 12:50 AM

Now those are valid criticisms of Mitt!.

csdeven on July 1, 2007 at 12:57 AM

But since I don’t have the right to judge Mitt’s motives than what right do you have to judge Mr. Thompson’s motives. Actions are actions and I disagree with Mitt’s action in this incident just as you have the right to judge Mr. Thompson’s actions.

Rose on July 1, 2007 at 12:59 AM

It still does not deserve to be placed on top of a station wagon for l2 hours.
Rose on July 1, 2007 at 12:56 AM

He liked it on the roof in his carrier. The owner said so.

csdeven on July 1, 2007 at 1:00 AM

We have had our dog for 13 years (1/2 husky, 1/2 chow). She is also a tough dog. But there is no way I would subject her to the kind of treatment that Mitt subjected his dog to.

Rose on July 1, 2007 at 1:01 AM

People say a lot of things when they are being criticized. There is no common sense in what they did.

Rose on July 1, 2007 at 1:02 AM

Rose on July 1, 2007 at 12:59 AM

If fred? could say that the people who he was working against LOVED it and didn’t mind, then I’d agree.

csdeven on July 1, 2007 at 1:04 AM

So you admit that Mitt was working against his dog.

Rose on July 1, 2007 at 1:06 AM

We are both wasting our time. There is no way you are going to convince me that what Mitt did was acceptable and there is no way that I am not going to convince you it wasn’t. Good night.

Rose on July 1, 2007 at 1:12 AM

Rose, when I lived in Wyoming, we had a guy in town that had an Irish wolfhound. He drove this old reconstructed deuce-and-a-half, and that dog rode on top of the cab. Weirdest thing you ever saw. I lived in that town for 15 years. Never saw that dog on the street. Just on the roof of that truck.

Sure, he could have been catapulted off that truck in an emergency, and he could have fallen off on a sharp turn, and I’m sure PETA would have done their best to charge that old man with animal cruelty. I never saw that dog falter on that truck. And I’ve never seen a happier animal.

Dog lovers need to remember that dogs are not homo sapiens. They’re canines. Mitt’s dog wasn’t being beaten or starved or had electroshock therapy. He was traveling with his family, his pack, to a destination where he was loved and a part of the festivities instead of being left behind.

This is a nonstory. It involves a relationship that you and I both know was nothing about cruelty. It was about love and acceptance and being part of the family before and after the trip.

I’m doggie people too. I have two of my own and we’re watching a third for a friend of ours who is out of town. Discomfort doesn’t equate cruelty, especially if the dog doesn’t think he’s uncomfortable. Abandonment at a vet’s office or a boarding facility causes a lot more anxiety in some dogs that can lead to real health problems, including loss of appetite and weight, which can lead to other health problems.

I wasn’t there — none of us were there. We’re only seeing a story designed to put someone in a bad light. And those kind of stories generally succeed.

Tennman on July 1, 2007 at 1:13 AM

So you admit that Mitt was working against his dog.
Rose on July 1, 2007 at 1:06 AM

Now Rose. I warned you about the straw man argument.

The fact is that fred? was working against the American people. They wanted to be represented by lawyers, just as Mitts! dog WANTED to be on the roof.

csdeven on July 1, 2007 at 1:16 AM

Rose on July 1, 2007 at 1:01 AM

If your dog loved it would you?

csdeven on July 1, 2007 at 1:21 AM