Video: Obama reminds debate audience he’s not gay

posted at 11:49 am on June 29, 2007 by Allahpundit

I didn’t watch but this was the soundbite of the night by wide acclaim. Funny, and deftly handled by “the Answer”, but I trust I’m not breaking any news when I say conservative pols are well advised to stay away from this vein of humor lest it provoke soul-searching cover splashes in Time and Newsweek about “Christianist” homophobia or whatever.

The funniest part, actually, is that the whole sequence seems to go right over Biden’s head.

Comments

Overcompensate, much?

Mazztek on June 29, 2007 at 11:51 AM

Puh-leeze!

ophelia on June 29, 2007 at 11:52 AM

The dude is still a lightweight. Once the Clintons focus their attack, he will cower into the corner, begging for VP scraps.

revolutionismyname on June 29, 2007 at 11:53 AM

Ahh, but in liberal dogma, one of the tenets is “AIDS does not discriminate” and can merely be passed by promiscuous heterosexual sex. If everybody was buying that canard, then he could have been merely defending himself from accusations of fooling around.

apostle26 on June 29, 2007 at 11:54 AM

He should hit the town with Joe Wilson, who also likes the ladies as he tells us. They could be (insert Czech Brothers from SNL voice here) two swing-ging sex gods!!

thirteen28 on June 29, 2007 at 11:57 AM

Barrack Hussein Obama Blood test results:
Clean 100%
Articulate 100%
Aids: Negative
Handsome: Yes
cholesterol: 205
Islamic jihad training: Possible?
Socialism: 100%

TheSitRep on June 29, 2007 at 11:59 AM

They really should change the name from “Democratic debates” to the “comedy hour”. These people are facinating.

rplat on June 29, 2007 at 12:00 PM

Homophobic here often, Messiah?

Jaibones on June 29, 2007 at 12:00 PM

Dummy realized too late he set Obama up for a nice comeback

Drtuddle on June 29, 2007 at 12:02 PM

So, Biden is talking about what he’s done among the community to stop the spread of AIDS.

Obama says that what he’s done to stop the spread of AIDS, he’s married to a woman and not gay.

And the dimocraps wonder why they tend to lose the elections that matter.

Mazztek on June 29, 2007 at 12:06 PM

Those ears say otherwise.

profitsbeard on June 29, 2007 at 12:07 PM

Not a bad response from Obama, but a truly numble and savvy mind would have finished with “Not that there’s anything wrong with that!”

Bryan on June 29, 2007 at 12:07 PM

When a candidate goes against the wishes of nearly 80% of the American people and votes for a bill so flawed and misconstrued that it should have never been presented on the floor of the Senate, then his judgement must be considered. Obama is a charismatic and fresh face in a party dominated by dinosaurs. I like his delivery and vitality, but for president he still has a ways to go. There still may be time, but Hillary’s attacks have not even started yet. he is going to encounter a side of life that only the Clinton’s can deliver.

volsense on June 29, 2007 at 12:11 PM

Maybe, it was a shot at Silky?

Blake on June 29, 2007 at 12:14 PM

Did Edwards feel uncomfortable? Maybe Elizabeth will regale us all with a story!

SouthernGent on June 29, 2007 at 12:16 PM

but a truly numble and savvy mind would have finished with “Not that there’s anything wrong with that!” a cliche

Spirit of 1776 on June 29, 2007 at 12:18 PM

Maybe it was a shot at Silky

Blake on June 29, 2007 at 12:14 PM

Heh.

Jaibones on June 29, 2007 at 12:24 PM

Biden…..”And I got tested to save my life!”

What an idiot, you are right. zoom, right over his head!

conservnut on June 29, 2007 at 12:24 PM

I just received a call from Tommy {I’m going to have to with hold his last name}from searchlight Nevada and he says, “Barrack isn’t gay he just needed to make some quick and easy money while he was in collage.”

Mojack420 on June 29, 2007 at 12:28 PM

Wait a minute; the Obama statement wasn’t the funniest part. The Biden statement was.

Biden said he spent all summer trying to talk black guys into wearing condoms, but he couldn’t. And then he had to go out and got tested for AIDS!

These guys are a riot. We couldn’t make this stuff up if we tried.

logis on June 29, 2007 at 12:30 PM

Bryan on June 29, 2007 at 12:07 PM
clever , but ….

Libs don’t need to clarify…but Ann? Condemned even when she DOESN’T say it.

funny how Isaiah ‘race card’ Washington is back in the news today… Q the Timing?

shooter on June 29, 2007 at 12:36 PM

Obama reminds debate audience he’s not gay the guy.

Allah

There, fixed that for you. How’s that phone thing working out for you, bro?

Jaibones on June 29, 2007 at 12:37 PM

Not that there’s anything wrong with Biden helping black men to put on condoms!

Dusty on June 29, 2007 at 12:45 PM

It’s obvious the London car bombing was just meant to distract us from Obama’s obvious homosexuality.

Metro on June 29, 2007 at 12:51 PM

By his remarks, Biden was obviously trying to get back in the running against Goober Lindsey Graham for Biggest Tool in the Senate.

Frank Nitti on June 29, 2007 at 12:51 PM

Yeah, Obama, I’m not gay either, but you don’t see me reminding people of my preferences.

Maybe today I’ll walk around periodically telling people that I’m straight. That should make the customs agent between the US and Canada curious (or disturbed, whatevs).

mjk on June 29, 2007 at 1:07 PM

If this had been a Republican debate, what would have been deemed a “blatently homophobic caveat” would have been the story of the night.

eeyore on June 29, 2007 at 1:10 PM

Mazztek on June 29, 2007 at 12:06 PM

Seems to me that Obama chose the more effective method of preventing AIDS. A washed up senator standing in a city park telling guys to protect themselves just doesn’t pass the smell test. I want video of that before I believe it. Wait, was one of the guys in the park named Tommy from Searchlight, NV?

Seriously, I think Obama just didn’t like the timing of “I got tested for AIDS, I know Barack got tested for AIDS (audience laughter)”

Freelancer on June 29, 2007 at 2:11 PM

When he was making his disclaimer, did a rainbow shoot out of Obama’s a… uhh nevermind…

Har har!

Montana on June 29, 2007 at 2:14 PM

An obligatory aids test. Wow, now that is pandering.

Anyone else notice that they never said if they passed their aids test?

ericire12 on June 29, 2007 at 2:18 PM

So, does Obama officially lose the homosexual demographic now b/c of this?

ericire12 on June 29, 2007 at 2:19 PM

Funny.

aengus on June 29, 2007 at 2:25 PM

There will be a show on Broadway, in the next few years – The Answer and the Answeress.

Entelechy on June 29, 2007 at 2:51 PM

Very funny. I’m a conservative, but I will consider voting for Obama. He’s a cool guy.

Chudi on June 29, 2007 at 2:52 PM

Freelancer on June 29, 2007 at 2:11 PM

Well, the debates are your one chance to convince someone to vote for you by talking about your record, your view on the issues, and what you have done and plan to do.

Mind you, I’m never going to vote for someone with (D) after their name.

It seems that Biden made his case, and barack made jokes.

A politician should be more concerned with the people he wants to serve, not with himself.

Mazztek on June 29, 2007 at 3:05 PM

Were there any issues of substance discussed?
Or was this all about booty call?

There isn’t enough soap to wash that off.

Kini on June 29, 2007 at 3:07 PM

Chudi on June 29, 2007 at 2:52 PM

Yeah, they don’t need to be capable leaders for a free capitalist democratic country filled with millions upon millions of Americans (and 12 million illegal aliens), they just need to be cool.

SilverStar830 on June 29, 2007 at 3:35 PM

So if I go on over to John Aravosis’ blog now, I should see a long rant about homophobia, right? Like when Snickers ran that “homophobic” ad where guys were making sure everyone wasn’t confused about their manliness…?

What, nothing? How odd!

Seixon on June 29, 2007 at 3:50 PM

Oh come on, that’s funny. It’s all about delivery.

Krydor on June 29, 2007 at 3:59 PM

The left should be up in arms about this “joke”. It was oblviously a slur. Oh forgot who said it…never mind

PowWow on June 29, 2007 at 4:02 PM

Chudi on June 29, 2007 at 2:52 PM
Are you a girl or a gay ? Does it matter what a person believes in ?

SIJ6141 on June 29, 2007 at 4:48 PM

Mazztek on June 29, 2007 at 3:05 PM

That’s Obama’s problem–when you’ve never done anything, talking about your record is the last thing you want to do.

ReubenJCogburn on June 29, 2007 at 4:49 PM

Chudi on June 29, 2007 at 2:52 PM

Differing views are ok, but lying trolls are not. No conservative votes for a socialist-dhimmi-pro infanticide-ass wipe like Obama. Only RINOs make silly statements like that … and lying trolls.

Jaibones on June 29, 2007 at 5:08 PM

Hi guys, now i know many people here just attacked me for saying i like Obama. That was actually my first post here…I used to be a lurker, and I just registered to post.

I am a black conservative. I live and go to med school in Boston. They can check my IP address, cus I’m on break right now, and i’m typing this from school. I don’t troll, i’m too busy for that.

You probably won’t meet a more ardent conservative than me, but i like Obama. I probably won’t vote for him eventually, but i wouldn’t mind terribly if he won. That’s the way i felt about the governor here in Mass. he was a bleeding heart liberal, but I didn’t mind when he won. That’s just the way I feel, and I won’t apologize for it. Now, i think Hillary is the devil, and if Obama is her VP, then i’m definitely against him.

For those who say i’m a RINO, trust me, you can’t be a black conservative, live and go to school in Boston, and be a RINO. You will be forced to defend yourself so much, that u better be damn sure what u believe in. I’ve had arguments in church with the pastor during the sermon discussion, because he was making digs at me for being conservative. Trust me, I know what i believe in, and i like Obama.

I apologise for the long write-up, but I had to respond to the digs.

Chudi on June 29, 2007 at 5:56 PM

I don’t think he was necessarily emphasizing “I’m not gay,”, but more importantly “I’m not having an affair with Joe Biden.”

mikeyboss on June 29, 2007 at 7:02 PM

Question for Senator Obama. Joe Biden spoke of teaching black people the virtues of using condoms and saying no. Do you believe that blacks are so ignorant of these facts that they need a white man like Joe Biden to enlighten them?
This is my first post. So please be gentle.

RMR on June 29, 2007 at 7:35 PM

I taped the debate on my DVR yesterday, and I couldn’t bear watching after the first 20 minutes. They were talking as if black people were so stupid…I just don’t get why black people listen to these guys. Obama was the only person who enphasized personal responsibility, while Gravel kept talking about the war on drugs.

It was a complete travesty.

Chudi on June 29, 2007 at 9:11 PM

As the Beatles would so. “We’re just good friends”

- The Cat

MirCat on June 29, 2007 at 10:36 PM

Chudi, well said. You shouldn’t have been attacked for stating you like Obama. In fact, of all Democrat candidates, he interests me the most. Uhh, I mean, in a politcal way, ya know? Not like, interests me.

And good luck in MA.

Montana on June 29, 2007 at 11:35 PM

When will we hear from John Edwards?

ToddonCapeCod on June 30, 2007 at 5:42 PM