Powerline: Congressional Republicans less than impressed with Fred

posted at 5:11 pm on June 29, 2007 by Allahpundit

Lots of people sending me this. A deflating blow, landed by one of Fred’s three favorite blogs? Say it ain’t so.

Dedicated to our resident Fred-hater, csdeven:

The Fred Thompson campaign recently set up an event for 60 of Congress’s most solid conservatives. Many of them were hoping to be able to endorse Thompson. Unfortunately, Thompson did not impress the Congressmen. He did not appear to be ready for a tough Presidential campaign. One of his aides explained that Thompson was “rusty,” which, as one Congressman told me, did not inspire much confidence in this YouTube era. Some of those who attended are now looking at Mitt Romney as the most viable conservative in the race.

Is this event attended by sixty-odd congressional Republicans the same as … this event attended by sixty-odd congressional Republicans? Because (a) that wasn’t all that recent and (b) by all available reports, Fred was exceedingly well received. Maybe it was another, more recent event? If so, how often do they throw campaign shindigs for dozens of House GOP members?

I don’t care either way; since yesterday, I’m a firm backer of a Sessions/DeMint ticket. But since I know we’ve got a lot of Fredheads here, here’s video from his recent stop in South Carolina. I like how he cracks himself up with the line about the $50 million he’s saved.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

I am less than impressed with Congressional Republicans

Keli on June 29, 2007 at 5:15 PM

The crooks of the status quo aint gonna like Ol’ Freddy Boy that is why I support him in every way I can.
I gave at imwithfred.com
and will again after he launches.

TheSitRep on June 29, 2007 at 5:16 PM

Hmmm… and the Congressional Repubs Positive rating right now is???

The BEST thing that could happen for FRED! is that both Bush, and the Congressional Repubs actively campaign AGAINST him!

Romeo13 on June 29, 2007 at 5:19 PM

If congress doesn’t like him, he must be awesome!

AndrewGurn on June 29, 2007 at 5:20 PM

Unfortunately, Thompson did not impress the Congressmen.

The same Congressmen who just dissed us by trying to ram shamnesty down our throat?

If I was Fred, I’d wear it like a badge of honor.

BacaDog on June 29, 2007 at 5:21 PM

Fred is kind of like the conservative Obama.

Dash on June 29, 2007 at 5:23 PM

BacaDog on June 29, 2007 at 5:21 PM

That was the Senate.

Editor on June 29, 2007 at 5:24 PM

A Ron Paul HE IS NOT!

Thank God.

Hoodlumman on June 29, 2007 at 5:30 PM

I like Fred. If you haven’t done it yet and would like to know more of Fred’s thoughts check out the podcasts on Itunes.

conservativecaveman on June 29, 2007 at 5:31 PM

LOL!! Okay… all that proves is that things are almost as bad in the Republican House as they are in the Senate. You’ve got a bunch of RINO’s and RINO’s in sheeps clothing who have basically ridden Reagan’s coat tails for the past 20 years and don’t know their ass-end from a hole in the ground when it comes to a man who can speak his mind comfortably without having to think first.

Thompson isn’t rusty – it’s just that he actually believes what he says he does and lives by those convictions. You don’t have to be slick when you do that. It would be nice if the ass-hats in Congress understood this, because it’s obvious they don’t.

But they’ll learn.

thareb on June 29, 2007 at 5:33 PM

The election is still more than a year away, yes? The opinion of 60 people in Congress on who they’ll endorse matters little to me at this time.

I wish pundits would stop trying to pick the front-runners and let the voters take care of that instead!

Dave Shay on June 29, 2007 at 5:36 PM

Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2007 4:20 PM by Mark Murray
Categories: Republicans, 2008
From NBC’s Joel Seidman
Sixty-three House Republicans attended a private meeting on Capitol Hill this afternoon with former GOP Sen. Fred Thompson, to discuss his potential White House bid. The attendees were a Who’s Who of House conservatives: Reps. Dan Burton, Steve Buyer, Shelley Moore Capito, Don Manzullo, and Zack Wamp (who organized the event).

After the meeting, Thompson told the press, “I came over to see some old friends, meet some new friends, and I will see you again.” That’s all he said about his possible bid. But the members who attended the meeting said they were excited and called Thompson “presidential.”

So, with absolutely no details or names to go on, we can only guess that “John” at Powerline talked to somebody who was talking about a meeting that was held on April 18th.

And so, based on a second-hand accounts of what somebody told him he saw two and a half months ago, John is now convinced that Fred Thompson won’t be able to mount a campaign two months from now?

Well, it’s certainly hard to argue with reporting like that.

I’ve alway assumed that any random idiot could cover a story better than MSNBC. Dear John: it goes: Who, what, when, and where. Seriously, how hard could that possibly be?

logis on June 29, 2007 at 5:37 PM

Give me the opinions of Jim DeMint and Jeff Sessions and then I’ll take it to heart

Jim-Rose on June 29, 2007 at 5:38 PM

conservativecaveman on June 29, 2007 at 5:31 PM

Does he address McVain-Feingold? I want to know why he thought was a good idea.

I like Fredheads b/c in my mind they represent the perpetual optimism of the right-wing, but I think he is over-hyped.

Spirit of 1776 on June 29, 2007 at 5:38 PM

Well, there are 60 Republicans in congress who are definitely odd, and I would imagine that Fred is not particularly impressed by some of the Republican congressmen either. Let’s call this one a draw…

Jonas Parker on June 29, 2007 at 5:40 PM

I really don’t get all the enthusiasm about Fred. I saw him on Jay leno, and i honestly didn’t like him he came across as arrogant, and as if he’s won already. Ther is just something about him that makes me nervous and i don’t like it.

I think rudy is the best chance that republicans have next yr…no matter what anybody thnks about his abortion stance. He’s the only one who can beat Hillary, and that is why i like him.

Chudi on June 29, 2007 at 5:41 PM

Jonas Parker on June 29, 2007 at 5:40 PM

LOL!!!!!!! Well said !

speed911 on June 29, 2007 at 5:42 PM

Campaign song for Fredheads: “Truckin’”.

km on June 29, 2007 at 5:43 PM

Well, he is the closest thing to a real conservative running right now, (amongst those who have any real shot anyway) So Fred is where I hang my hat for now. If nothing else he will pull those RINOs he is running against to the right a bit.

As far as Congressional Republicans go………PLEASE

conservnut on June 29, 2007 at 5:45 PM

I quess since Fred has been rejected by the sixty-odd congressional Republicans he really is an outsider… I’m with Fred and I have contributed too… and will again.

vulcannomad on June 29, 2007 at 5:45 PM

Chudi on June 29, 2007 at 5:41 PM

I like Fred because of WHAT he’s said, not how he’s said it. He echos my opinion on just about every major issue out there and that’s why I’m enthusiastic about Fred.

Rudy? Not so much. Sanctuary city.

speed911 on June 29, 2007 at 5:46 PM

Now, wait. Were the Congressman Senators, or were they Representatives? If we’re talking about the 60 most Conservative Representatives, we could be talking about the Representatives who killed any revival of the fairness doctrine, and endorsed the statement in the House against amnesty.It really all depends who it was.

amerpundit on June 29, 2007 at 5:46 PM

Spirit of 1776 on June 29, 2007 at 5:38 PM

No, he doesn’t. But he does have some very interesting things to say on many other fronts. His support of Mc-Fein is an abhorrition on what is otherwise a strong record.

conservativecaveman on June 29, 2007 at 5:46 PM

Does he address McVain-Feingold

Spirit of 1776 on June 29, 2007 at 5:38 PM

He has stated the bill did not work out like he thought it would. He says if he had to do it again he would go towards no limits but mandatory reporting.

No link just going from memory. Will try to find the exact quote.

unseen on June 29, 2007 at 5:48 PM

I appreciate what he says on other fronts. I think he is clever in that regard. But I want somebody to ask him that face to face. Cavuto maybe next time he’s around there.

That’s a big deal imho, and that’s going to say alot about just exactly how close he is ideologically with his buddy, the Senator from AZ.

Spirit of 1776 on June 29, 2007 at 5:49 PM

I heard the interview where he said it didn’t work out like he planned. I believe that. I wanted to know what made him think it was a good idea in the first place.

Spirit of 1776 on June 29, 2007 at 5:50 PM

Those congressmen are just upset because Fred!’s Thompson is bigger than theirs.

chinotex on June 29, 2007 at 5:51 PM

Chudi on June 29, 2007 at 5:41 PM

RINO Rudy’s supporters keep saying that, but I’ve yet to have it explained why they feel that way. I just don’t see the type of likeable charisma in RINO Rudy that is as important for a candidate as their stance on issues, which Rudy isn’t strong on either.

Is it the silly “Hillary vs X” polls (with results based largely on name recognition) that have been going around the past 3 months? After 8 years of Bush, are Republicans really going to get amped up over a pro-choice, anti-gun East Coast RINO and turn out strong on election day? He’s really the ONLY one who can beat Hillary, whom 50% of likely voters say they wouldn’t consider voting for?

Someone explain it to me, because I’m baffled. Preferably someone not from an East Coast blue state who’s vote won’t matter in the general election anyways.

Hollowpoint on June 29, 2007 at 5:53 PM

To be fair, I think we’re talking less about Senators, and more about House representatives, not that I’m so terribly smitten with them, either.

Jaibones on June 29, 2007 at 5:53 PM

Hollowpoint on June 29, 2007 at 5:53 PM

AND who knows if Hillary gets the nomination, if AP’s headlines about Gore are right about his popularity in early states and clearing his slate for a run.

Spirit of 1776 on June 29, 2007 at 5:55 PM

I am less than impressed with Congressional Republicans

Keli on June 29, 2007 at 5:15 PM

The first thought to come to my mind was the first post I read.

JellyToast on June 29, 2007 at 5:55 PM

Like who the hell cares what anyone in congress thinks? Congress which has a 14% approval rating and dropping. Does anyone really trust a Republican in Congress? Yes, I know there are a handful of good conservatives who remember who hired them, but the rest need be fired next election.

I just sent back a plea from RNC for money with big black Sharpie nasty-gram written on their pathetic begging for money. And I let them pay the postage, even though they beg for you to use a stamp to save them money. Piss on that…

Wade on June 29, 2007 at 5:56 PM

Hollowpoint on June 29, 2007 at 5:53 PM

Let’s see. He got out of a car in Florida, and was swarmed by Democratic and Republican supporters. He’s been able to win matchup polls, he won the Pajamas Media strawpoll from last week, he can carry otherwise blue states, and he leads amongst declared candidates.

amerpundit on June 29, 2007 at 5:57 PM

Jaibones on June 29, 2007 at 5:53 PM

I’m thinking we’re talking about Reps, too.

amerpundit on June 29, 2007 at 5:58 PM

Spirit of 1776 on June 29, 2007 at 5:50 PM

these two quotes come from a hit piece on the bill. I do not know what context they were ineither. so take them with a huge grain of salt:

Then there was the claim that McCain-Feingold could restore trust in government. On this score, Mr. Thompson declared that “we are making headway to do something that will reduce the cynicism in this country and that will help this body, that will help us individually.”

The former senator from Tennessee, Fred Thompson, who championed McCain-Feingold, promised that it would “help challengers reach a threshold of credibility when they want to challenge us in these races.”

unseen on June 29, 2007 at 5:59 PM

if you’ve been reading John at powerline much, he’s had an anti-Fred bias going for awhile now. Notice how he says that everyone was “impressed with Mitt”…he’s also been pumping Romney a good deal on there.

jp on June 29, 2007 at 5:59 PM

jp on June 29, 2007 at 5:59 PM

Does it matter, if it’s true?

amerpundit on June 29, 2007 at 6:01 PM

Congressmen don’t like him…he has my vote.

At the lowest approval ratings in the history of polls, they actually think they can judge other leaders.

Have they no shame? Look in the mirror stupid.

right2bright on June 29, 2007 at 6:01 PM

I also think Mitt will be the nominee, even though I root for McCain

Baphomet on June 29, 2007 at 6:01 PM

Wade on June 29, 2007 at 5:56 PM

Just read your post, you said it better.

right2bright on June 29, 2007 at 6:03 PM

Thanks, unseen. A hit piece, yes, but eminently readable for this line alone: So, unless Mr. McCain invented the Internet — and not Al Gore as we all learned in our civics textbooks

Spirit of 1776 on June 29, 2007 at 6:03 PM

I don’t want to spread rumors but…cdseven hungers for Fred. Dreams of his resonating voice, putting him to sleep at night. Cds fights it, but slowly is giving in to his uncontrollable desires…don’t want to start anything on Friday…just a rumor.

right2bright on June 29, 2007 at 6:06 PM

Until recently I was all for Rudy. I still think he has the best shot at beating any of the democrats. But it’s a long race and Fred is starting to look better and better.

Exit Question: Do we have any chance of stopping a Clinton/Obama ticket?

BadgerHawk on June 29, 2007 at 6:07 PM

Who else is waiting for the “i told ya” post from csdeven. :)

lorien1973 on June 29, 2007 at 6:08 PM

Exit Question: Do we have any chance of stopping a Clinton/Obama ticket?

Yeah, given that over half the country won’t vote for clinton, I think its a pretty beatable ticket. I think we should pray hillary gets the nomination.

lorien1973 on June 29, 2007 at 6:09 PM

I also think Mitt will be the nominee, even though I root for McCain

Baphomet on June 29, 2007 at 6:01 PM

You must be a Chicago Cubs fan. How’re the other 4 McCain supporters doing? Haven’t been hearing much from them lately.

Hollowpoint on June 29, 2007 at 6:10 PM

right2bright on June 29, 2007 at 6:06 PM

Oh I definitely agree. CSdeven has an attraction to Fred! that he just doesn’t understand yet. It confuses and scares him. Thus the fred? line. He’s not sure why he hates him so much; but he does and that means its true love. csdeven will turn into the biggest fred!head of them all eventually.

lorien1973 on June 29, 2007 at 6:11 PM

Does it matter, if it’s true?

amerpundit on June 29, 2007 at 6:01 PM

If he doesn’t state his bias up front, then yeah, it matters a whole hell of a lot (see MSM). The Powerline website is “so 1990s” with it’s bad font, slow speed, lack of photos/videos embedded. They know tons about law, but their website really stinks.

I think I’d write in a candidate rather than vote for Rudy (still uncertain about Mitt – although after hearing what he did to the beloved family dog, I’m SURE he’d not think twice about waterboarding an Islamofacist terrorist).

omnipotent on June 29, 2007 at 6:12 PM

I concur..Rudy cannot win the southern vote. After what we just went through with this immig. bill I hope not to see anymore McCain stuff(it).

Legions on June 29, 2007 at 6:13 PM

Without seeing a list of the congressional Republicans in attendance it’s hard to gauge how much weight to give their opinions. It wouldn’t surprise me to learn that most of those who have a negative opinion of Fred support open-borders, which Fred doesn’t.

They may be right about Fred being rusty though. His opinion pieces have been fantastic but I’m waiting to see him in action before I make a commitment to anybody. Does anybody know when the next Republican primary debate is?

Sessions/DeMint sounds like an interesting possibility, I just don’t know anything about them aside from their opposition to shamnesty. My initial opinion is certainly very positive though.

FloatingRock on June 29, 2007 at 6:13 PM

John’s been spun. I wonder if it was willingly or not.

someone on June 29, 2007 at 6:15 PM

Spirit of 1776 on June 29, 2007 at 5:50 PM

Ok here is his speech on the senate floor in support of the bill:

Mr. THOMPSON . Mr. President, proponents of campaign finance reform say it is an assault on the Constitution. I say that McCain-Feingold is an assault on an incumbent’s protected system that is rapidly losing faith with the American people. These claims about government takeover, and government regulation, and big government, of course, resonate with me as well as they do many other people, because I’m against that. I’m against the more intrusive government and I’m against more and more regulation, and I’m against government doing things that it should not be doing, especially the Federal Government.

However, I think we have too quickly divided up into liberal and conservative counts and Democrat and Republican counts on this issue. As I read my history, Senator Barry Goldwater, the father of modern conservatism, in many people’s view, was one of the most avid proponents of campaign finance reform a few years ago.

So let’s go back to the basics. People who are basically conservative think that the Government ought to do the things the Government ought to do and not things that it shouldn’t. What should the Government be doing? Mr. President, if the way we elect our Federal officials and the motivations that they come to Washington with is not relevant and is not something that we ought to be concerned with, then what is? That is the basis of Government. Government does a lot of things it should not be doing, but how we elect our Federal officials, who are the arbiters of everything else in society anymore, seemingly, is certainly the subject of our attention.

As I listen to this debate today, it is almost like under the current system we don’t have regulation and that we are trying to

impose regulation on an otherwise pristine system. We have the most heavily regulated system in the area of campaign finance reform than almost any other area in the country. Under the current system, you have a Federal Election Commission with detailed rules, timeframes, limit frames and so forth. You have $1,000 limitation; you have $5,000 limitation for PACs; you have $20,000 limitation as far as committees are concerned; an overall $25,000 limitation as to how much you can contribute in 1 year. You have soft money rules, you have hard money rules, you have percentages of soft money you can do certain ads with–there has to be a certain percentage of soft and hard money. You have transfers of money going back and forth between State and national parties, all under a detailed set of rules that nobody understands. To run in a political campaign any more nowadays you have to have a team of lawyers and a team of accountants and a team of people keeping up with all the regulation.

That is our current system. My friend from Utah talks about our friend Jack Kemp and Mr. Forbes and how it would be much better if we had a different kind of system in our Presidential primaries. That is our current system he is complaining about. I think he makes some good points there. I think we ought to look at limitation amounts there. I think they are somewhat ridiculous and too low. All of that is our current system.

So, what we are doing here, it looks to me like in McCain-Feingold is basically two things: One is a ban on soft money; secondly, it is saying about independent expenditures, that if you have candidate expenditures, you call them that and treat them that way.

Under the current law, express advocacy is regulated now. It is regulated now. This idea that we are going to cut off somebody from saying something or that we are going to shut people up and close people off is simply not true. That makes interesting rhetoric but it is not in this bill, it is not in this legislation.

What it basically says is two things. In 1974 we passed a law and we went along for almost two decades, electing Presidents under that law. Not a breath of scandal as far as campaign finance reform under that law and under the rules that we set forth then, for soft money problems in that entire period of time.

unseen on June 29, 2007 at 6:16 PM

Legions on June 29, 2007 at 6:13 PM

You say he can’t win the Southern vote. Why?

amerpundit on June 29, 2007 at 6:17 PM

“That was the Senate.” – Editor

The Power Line article says that John met with members of both the house and senate.

FloatingRock on June 29, 2007 at 6:19 PM

amerpundit on June 29, 2007 at 5:57 PM

Let’s see. ALL the candidates get swarmed by supporters when they get out of the car. Until the parties nominate a candidate, matchup polls mean little- especially early ones in which Fred was still in single digits and McCain was battling Rudy for the lead. As far as the reliablity of Internet polls go, I’ve got two words: Ron Paul. If he can carry marginally blue states, he can lose marginally red states. And nice qualifier there in “declared” candidates, considering it’s practically a certainty that Fred is running.

I honestly think the biggest factor in Rudy’s support are the early polls. Polls back in March- held when most knew very little about the candidates- were favorable towards Rudy, best explained by name recognition (evidenced by McCain’s strong showing). That alone led some to believe he was the most electable, and supported the front runner. It’s like a self-fullfilling prophecy that I hope doesn’t come true- I’ll stay home before voting in another RINO ever again.

Hollowpoint on June 29, 2007 at 6:21 PM

because I’m from the north and I won’t vote for him..

Legions on June 29, 2007 at 6:22 PM

FloatingRock on June 29, 2007 at 6:19 PM

Right, so that means that there was Representatives who weren’t impressed – not just the people who tried to shove amnesty down our throats.

amerpundit on June 29, 2007 at 6:23 PM

unseen on June 29, 2007 at 6:16 PM. Again thanks; I’m reading the link

Spirit of 1776 on June 29, 2007 at 6:25 PM

Fred? = “Fred curious.”

Also, did you ever notice how cdxeven’s always talking about Mitt Romney this, and Mitt Romney that… But you never actually see the two of them together anywhere? That’s cause all he’s really doing is trying to make Fred jealous.

It was almost cute at first, but then it started to get a little bit creepy – and it just kept going.

I think the guy’s crossed that thin line between childish infatuation and obsessive-compulsive stalking.

logis on June 29, 2007 at 6:26 PM

Hollowpoint on June 29, 2007 at 6:21 PM

What makes him a RINO? His stance that the feds shouldn’t generally be involved in abortion? Fred takes the same stance. Actually, in 1994, Fred was in favor of first term abortions “in all cases”. So, can’t be that.

His stance on illegal immigration? When he sent out the email praising the killing of this bill, saying it didn’t make us safer, and was overall bad?

His stance on the war on terror? On Gitmo? On taxes?

Note I also said he was swarmed by Republicans AND Democrats. Fred Thompson had also been leading the straw poll for a while, so I guess that meant nothing, too. The poll results Allah posts must not mean anything, either.

McCain would still be leading if he didn’t commit political suicide on an issue he knew was sour among Conservatives.

amerpundit on June 29, 2007 at 6:30 PM

It may or may not indicate there were Representatives included in the 60+. Without more information we’re only speculating.

At any rate, the house Republicans also voted on an immigration measure as an alternative to shamnesty, and some of them voted against it and others abstained. Just because they’re in the house doesn’t demonstrate that they are against open-borders.

FloatingRock on June 29, 2007 at 6:47 PM

I’m demoting Fred! to Fred? (along with csdeven)

I’m still waiting for him to appear on a serious interview to test whether there is gold underneath that head of his (which is quite shiny by the way–bald is beautiful).

He will probably announce in August or so (rumors are circulating–nothing confirmed) but until he does, I’m sticking with Mitt!

I’d be for Rudy, but that “Mrs. Doubtfire thing” may not convince our enemies that he is a really scary guy.

Darnell Clayton on June 29, 2007 at 6:47 PM

Chudi on June 29, 2007 at 5:41 PM

I for one could never vote for Rudy, (sorry). He doesn’t support the 2nd amendment, which is one of my primary voting issues. My concerns are: jihad, national security and upholding the Constitution, and although there are other important issues to me, they all fall below those three.

FloatingRock on June 29, 2007 at 6:50 PM

amerpundit on June 29, 2007 at 6:30 PM

Wow. You need it explained to you why Rudy is a RINO?!? Should we believe that Bloomberg is a conservative too?

Abortion: Rudy has been unabashedly pro-choice, publicly supporting pro-choice views and donated to Planned Parenthood. Fred’s stance is consistant with Federalist principles, and voted pro-life in the Senate- Rudy just thought it would be “OK” if Roe v Wade were overturned. Not exactly the same stance.

2nd Amendment: Rudy’s a gun grabber. Enough said.

Illegal immigration: Rudy reinstated and supported NYC’s sanctuary city policy (even suing the federal government to keep it), and his initial objection to the immigration bill was to merely nitpick record keeping and ID provisions; not a word against the most objectionable parts of the bill- namely amnesty.

War on terror, taxes, etc: We really don’t know; he’s never held a position higher than city of a very liberal city. In any case, his stated positions are pretty much the same as the other Republican contenders.

He was supported by Republicans and Democrats? You poll them or something? I’d guess Fred has a few Democratic supporters too. Hell, I don’t have to guess because some have said so.

The Internet polls? Nope, don’t mean a hell of a lot considering that Ron Paul swept some of them despite having somewhere between 0%-3% in scientific polls. They’re mostly for fun.

McCain’s early numbers- like Rudy’s- were largely based on name recognition. He stood a chance when the other front-runners were fellow RINOs, but once a conservative (Fred) gained traction, he was finished. The only difference is that McCain had more of a record to drag him down quicker.

Hollowpoint on June 29, 2007 at 6:53 PM

FloatingRock on June 29, 2007 at 6:50 PM

Here’s what his site says:

Rudy Giuliani is a strong supporter of the Second Amendment. When he was Mayor of a city suffering an average of almost 2000 murders a year, he protected people by getting illegal handguns out of the hands of criminals. As a result, shootings fell by 72% and the murder rate was cut by two-thirds. But Rudy understands that what works in New York doesn’t necessarily work in Mississippi or Montana.

In other words, allow the states and local governments to decide.

amerpundit on June 29, 2007 at 6:54 PM

In other words, allow the states and local governments to decide.

amerpundit on June 29, 2007 at 6:54 PM

No thanks, I’d rather let the Constitution decide. I live in a liberal state and I’m not going to give up my 2nd ammendment rights because Rudy thinks it’s OK.

FloatingRock on June 29, 2007 at 7:01 PM

Tell me what executive position Fred held, please do.

Um, because the media who covered it, asked them. Several identified themselves as Democrats.

Are you willing to go on record, that Barry Goldwater wasn’t a Conservative?

amerpundit on June 29, 2007 at 7:01 PM

The opinion of Congressional Republicans is supposed to still matter?

I’d listen to csdeven before that bunch.

petefrt on June 29, 2007 at 7:03 PM

To put it simply, that which is innately attractive has no need for advertisement. That is why so many of us spell the name of our soon-to-be fearless leader with a ! on the end: Fred!

unamused on June 29, 2007 at 7:19 PM

First, who is this guy at powerline? he seems like he’s connected.

Also, did you get the story on the possible government shutdown because the dems have been screwing around with silly investigations and now wont have the time to get an appropriations bill passed in time. Ohh la la. The reps are going be real buttheads.

I didn’t really see anything else that was new news.

csdeven on June 29, 2007 at 7:21 PM

csdeven on June 29, 2007 at 7:21 PM

Dude. It’s been hours. I was starting to get worried. :-)

Slublog on June 29, 2007 at 7:24 PM

right2bright on June 29, 2007 at 6:03 PM

Over 60 years of being a Republican. Today I registered Independent. I have had it with “THOSE PEOPLE”

Wade on June 29, 2007 at 7:29 PM

After the Immigration mess, I really don’t give a rats ass who in Washington D.C. is not impressed with Fred!

Here’s the deal: WHOEVER wins the nomination for the Republican Party, that’s who has my vote….PERIOD!
Any of them are better than the alternative, ie: Hildog, Osama Obama, I’m So Pretty, Algore, etc.

I wish Duncan Hunter or The Tanc could move up and be the top runners, but for some reason ($$$$), that’s not going to happen. At this time, it looks like it will be between Mitt, Rudy & Fred!

Mitt: Too dang fake. I’m good at reading folks, and he is definitely a FAKE!

Rudy: To Liberal. Will be great in the War on Terror, which in these times, he’ll definitely get my vote above Mitt.

McCain: Well, it will be just like having a compassionate Lib. in office who tends to lose his goo-goo mind on occassion. No thanks!

Fred! Down-Home Southern Gent, Plain Spoken (that’s good for someone like me!), Scarey lookin’. He’ll kick Al Queda ass without blinking.

In a nutshell…..Fred! has my vote!

SouthernPride on June 29, 2007 at 7:36 PM

Sessions/DeMint in 08! Yes!

I can see Sessions pushing the button with that serene smile on his face, while DeMint physically bars the door to the hysterical Foggy Bottom crowd.

As far as this being the last post on immigration, no!

I want it to be a debate issue: nail ‘em all to the wall on how they intend to enforce the law better than Bush (it sure won’t take much) and quit making DHS a welcome mat for invaders. Ask them about immigration and make them answer!

Nichevo on June 29, 2007 at 7:38 PM

Sessions/DeMint in 08! Yes!

That could be cool.

amerpundit on June 29, 2007 at 7:40 PM

Congressional what? Congressional Republicans? Excuse me? We have some of those?

Montana on June 29, 2007 at 7:40 PM

Montana on June 29, 2007 at 7:40 PM

Don’t give up on the Republican party,at least on the one’s who just saved our butts. Take down every Republican (who voted for amnesty) with another Republican. If it’s a Hillary&Obama ticket we need to find an africian-amer.women VP, for our top guy or we lose. Now we all know who that one african-amer. women is and I feel she would make a fine VP and she is definitly a conservative.

Legions on June 29, 2007 at 7:48 PM

Dedicated to our resident Fred-hater, csdeven:

CS, I’d like to personally congratulate you for meriting a naming in the actual blog lead. That’s AWESOME!

Good on ya, Friend!

tickleddragon on June 29, 2007 at 7:50 PM

Legions on June 29, 2007 at 7:48 PM

Err…I hope you don’t mean Condi? Because last I checked, she had no interest in the executive office (as Prez or VP).

Darnell Clayton on June 29, 2007 at 7:56 PM

Isn’t that too many rednecks for your taste?

Mark V. on June 29, 2007 at 7:59 PM

I mean, like, two too many?

Mark V. on June 29, 2007 at 8:00 PM

Dude. It’s been hours. I was starting to get worried. :-)
Slublog on June 29, 2007 at 7:24 PM

Yeah sorry. I was washing dishes and doing basic house 8itch stuff.

My heart was all aflutter when I read this, but I have no clue who this guy is, so until I know, I’ll have to stick with what I have seen from fred? from the beginning.

Did you see freds? total come apart of the Cuban immigrant issue in a previous thread? Boy oh boy! The groupies disappeared when I exposed freddie for the poser he is.

And I figured the integrity of the congressmen would be the main complaint but I remember that post from April and ALL those reps were absolutely brilliant. Here we are, 2 months later, and they are all idiots. The motivation is pretty transparent. There be lots o’ spinnin’ of freddie boys glaring weaknesses in the coming months.

I just wondering where the squeal point is for the groupies? I’ve exposed enough about fred? to prove to rational people he is nothing but an empty suit so far, but there are a segment of fred/ supporters whom are obviously star struck by his lethally folksy rhetoric and couldn’t care less about the facts. All that matters is what he says in prepared speeches or scripted podcasts.

The more he gets out there, the worse he looks.

csdeven on June 29, 2007 at 8:00 PM

Legions, you make an excellent point about not giving up… but I haven’t been at all impressed with Condi Rice lately, if that’s whom you’re referring to. Otherwise you’re theory is sound. How ‘bout Thompson/Malkin?

FloatingRock on June 29, 2007 at 8:03 PM

Ok, now I have to got make dinner or the wife will kick my a$$!

csdeven on June 29, 2007 at 8:04 PM

The groupies disappeared when I exposed freddie for the poser he is.

Glad to see this time that it doesn’t refer to me. I wasn’t even there. Yay.

tickleddragon on June 29, 2007 at 8:05 PM

meh. Congressional Republicans are dry, completely full of themselves, and have fallen away from America.

Fred is not.

Congressional Reps: old and busted

Fred?!: new hotness.

Jewels on June 29, 2007 at 8:06 PM

Legions on June 29, 2007 at 7:48 PM

LaShawn Barber?

jeffNWV on June 29, 2007 at 8:07 PM

I am less than impressed with Congressional Republicans

Dammit, I was gonna say that. Guess I’ll have to stop sleeping till noon if I wanna beat the witty commentators to the punch.

Lincoln on June 29, 2007 at 8:08 PM

Glad to see this time that it doesn’t refer to me. I wasn’t even there. Yay.

tickleddragon on June 29, 2007 at 8:05 PM

Glad to see you don’t consider yourself a groupie.

But did you check it out? Read what fred? said and what the facts are. It’s striking.

csdeven on June 29, 2007 at 8:11 PM

And for the record…if the Congresscritter Repubs are down on Fred!…I’m even MORE for him.

Sorry, CS. ;)

tickleddragon on June 29, 2007 at 8:11 PM

Glad to see you don’t consider yourself a groupie.

csdeven on June 29, 2007 at 8:11 PM

Nope, been TOTALLY slammed at work today. Just now got off, and have to go get ready to see RATATOUILLE.

Fred! news can wait.

tickleddragon on June 29, 2007 at 8:12 PM

but I haven’t been at all impressed with Condi Rice lately,

I’m not holding that against Condi. She’s employed by Bush and I don’t really know what she believes. I’d sure like to know, because I think she’s tough as nails. Heck, she’s got more credibility than Hillary does as the first female CinC.

csdeven on June 29, 2007 at 8:13 PM

RATATOUILLE.
tickleddragon on June 29, 2007 at 8:12 PM

Ratatouille looks good. I miss having the kids grown because I have to wait for the cartoons to come out on DVD. I can’t be seen in a theater watching a kids movie without kids. It’d damage my manly reputation. Hold on a sec, I gotta go check the pot roast. :-)

csdeven on June 29, 2007 at 8:16 PM

Sorry, CS. ;)
tickleddragon on June 29, 2007 at 8:11 PM

Ahhhhh, but what if it was Sessions and DeMint? ;-)

csdeven on June 29, 2007 at 8:18 PM

csdeven on June 29, 2007 at 8:16 PM

Pah. Just buy a ticket for Die Hard and sneak into Ratatouille.

Slublog on June 29, 2007 at 8:20 PM

Last week, John Hinderaker posted something on PowerLine about Fred that was terribly misleading. The facts he included were correct, but the ones he omitted were crucial to understanding the whole scenario. It was the truth — but edited in such a way that it was a far, far cry from being ‘the whole truth’. In fact, he took what I consider one of the finer moments of Fred’s political career and managed to make it sound snark-worthy. Even though it wasn’t the first time I’d noticed his dismissive attitude towards Fred, I assumed he jumped to the wrong conclusions out of ignorance rather than malice. After all, John’s in MN and I’m in TN, so it was certainly understandable that I knew the back story and he didn’t.

Because I have great respect for the PowerLine crew (and also because I hated to have the candidate I strongly support portrayed in such an unfavorable light by top-tier conservative bloggers), I wrote John Hinderaker a long email detailing why his analysis of Fred’s actions was so far off-base. And it wasn’t like I was sharing some inside scoop that he’d just have to take my word for. The situation in question was extensively documented at the time, and the whole story is easily verifiable now.

Since it did occur to me that possibly — just possibly — there was some ulterior motive at play here, I did point out to Mr. Hinderaker that I was certain he wouldn’t be like “the worst newspaper in the world” (that he so often lambasts) and fail to make a prominent correction of his post.

Hmmmm…. So far, silence. No acknowledgement of my email, and no mea culpas regarding the badly-flawed analysis he offered. Now this. Since I know FOR A FACT that Fred’s meeting with the reps in DC went extremely well, I’m beginning to think there’s a hidden agenda here.

Mitt Romney is a very strong candidate imo. I admire the man and respect his supporters. His hitmen…well, not so much.

grits on June 29, 2007 at 8:23 PM

csdeven on June 29, 2007 at 8:13 PM

That’s a valid point.

However I suspect her comments about Hamas being a resistance group are unlikely to be directed from above; they were unscripted. Perhaps she just picked up the term from its general use around the State Department but then she’s the head of the department and should have put a stop to that on day one.

FloatingRock on June 29, 2007 at 8:28 PM

I’m not sure if he misspoke or was told incorrectly, but the Confederat Flag was moved off of the dome of the South Carolina Statehouse onto the grounds of the Statehouse in 2001, not 2007. Quite frankly, this question is plain ol’ tired.

I must note as a native South Carolinian (now living in NC), it was this move by then Democrat Governor Jim Hodges that led to his defeat in the 2002 election…along with his horrible handling of evacuating Charleston as a hurricane approached. (But at least he tried unlike Chocolate City Nagin!). I hope my beautiful home state remembers what Lindsey Graham has done/not done in the Senate and boots him just like they did Hodges.

SouthernGent on June 29, 2007 at 8:29 PM