Brownback on vote switch: I meant to do that

posted at 1:39 pm on June 29, 2007 by Allahpundit

I had this link in hand when I wrote the Beltway Boys post but I wanted our (hopefully) last post on the shamnesty debacle to be special. A lie this bald-faced qualifies as “special.” Sweet lord, does it ever:

[D]on’t bother accusing the Republican presidential hopeful of flip-flopping — he says he did it on purpose.

“I wanted to signal that I support comprehensive immigration reform, but now is not the time, this is not the bill,” Brownback said.

Brownback explained that his “yes” vote initially was to “showcase” that reform is needed. The switch to “no” was because he didn’t think this was the right way to do it.

Spokesman Brian Hart confirmed that Brownback planned the switch all along, ever mindful that presidential candidates face a tough time explaining vote switches.

Ah, well, his spokesman confirmed it. That makes all the difference. Funny that he didn’t think to make this bold yet opaque statement of principle during the cloture vote on Tuesday, when he voted yes. Nor did he think to make it during the cloture vote that killed the first iteration of the bill on June 7th; in fact, he didn’t even show up for that one. Most curious of all, rather than switch his vote immediately after casting it, he waited ten minutes until the bill’s fate was decided to cast his by-then entirely meaningless “no.” And he did it all during a presidential campaign in which Republican voters are unusually nervous about the candidates’ commitment to conservative values.

All in all, the switch was actually dumber if he’s telling the truth here. Which, of course, he almost certainly isn’t.

We end our immigration coverage with this 200-proof schadenfreude video of LA deejay and amnesty all-star Eddie “El Piolin” Sotelo choking back tears as he announces the bill’s destruction. It was on Sotelo’s show last week that Teddy burped out his cover of “Jalisco.” Note what Sotelo says at the end; it sounds like he’s building up to a statement about the futility of peaceful protest but the clip cuts off before he can finish his thought, alas. Exit question: Is it appropriate to laugh at a man’s agony? Exit answer: If the bill had passed and Sean Hannity had been reduced to tears, would the left be laughing at that? Well, there you go. They are, after all, our moral tutors. Learn from them.

Comments

From Brownback to Switchback to Brokeback what a piece of work that man is…..

doriangrey on June 29, 2007 at 1:44 PM

No Sotelo, You Can’t Have Amnesty, NOT YOURS!

That feels so damn good…

Bad Candy on June 29, 2007 at 1:44 PM

He makes a comment about showing out leaders that “they are people of good.”

When was something like that ever in question? All this bill did was show how a significant portion of our legislators are people of bad.

Hoodlumman on June 29, 2007 at 1:47 PM

Cartman: Yeah, yeah, oh let me taste your tears Scott. Ummm, your tears are so yummy and sweet.

lorien1973 on June 29, 2007 at 1:47 PM

Cartman: Oh, the tears of unfathomable sadness. Yummy, yummy guys.

lorien1973 on June 29, 2007 at 1:48 PM

Drama Reina.

RushBaby on June 29, 2007 at 1:49 PM

lorien1973 on June 29, 2007 at 1:47 PM

Cartman: Oh, the tears of unfathomable sadness. Yummy, yummy guys.

lorien1973 on June 29, 2007 at 1:48 PM

Yeah!! My sentiments exactly, especially towards the RINO amnesty sellouts who would sell the rest of the party down the river without a second though. Your tears of sadness at amnesty’s failure are tasty nectar indeed.

As for you, Sen. Brownback, I’m going to donate to your presidential campaign. No, really, the check’s in the mail. Trust me.

thirteen28 on June 29, 2007 at 1:51 PM

well I wont laugh but I also wont have any sympathy. Hes basically sad because all the Illegals who forged papers and evaded our border security and used subterfuge and stealth to sneak into this country in violation of our laws aren’t going to be given a free pass. Heartbreak

Keli on June 29, 2007 at 1:52 PM

HAHAHAHA!!!! lorien thats my favorite South Park evah!

And totally fitting!

Bad Candy on June 29, 2007 at 1:55 PM

Bull pucky!

If the bill would have made it to 40 we would have never heard the “No” from the ‘esteemed’ gentleman.

He was a zero in the run before and there can’t be anything less than that now. Fo(r)get about him!

On rage and violence, subtle hints, but not so subtle now by Eddie “El Piolin” Sotelo and Mr. Obama. Nice! The latter wants to be president of this grand nation. Go figure!

Entelechy on June 29, 2007 at 1:56 PM

Sweet sweet tears. They give me power.

And King of the Prairie Weasels meant to do that. Riiight. Switchback is supposed to be a conservative?! What’s he conserving – our birthright to import an underclass from south of the border? Jeeeez, I hate to see him as a liberal. Oh wait …

Thomas the Wraith on June 29, 2007 at 1:56 PM

When Eddie talks about “our leaders”, who exactly do you suppose he’s talking about?

there it is on June 29, 2007 at 1:57 PM

If I snuck into Canada and worked illegally there and got caught, I would fully expect to get booted the hell out of their country. On another note, If I moved to France legally I would fully expect to have to learn French and obey their laws if I wanted to live there. The arrogance of these amnesty supporters still astounds me

Keli on June 29, 2007 at 1:58 PM

Bad Candy on June 29, 2007 at 1:55 PM

yep…soooo fitting….

doriangrey on June 29, 2007 at 2:01 PM

What a despicable, deceitful, shameful excuse for a United States Senator.

greggish on June 29, 2007 at 2:03 PM

Watching the ShAmnesty debacle killing political careers… priceless

Buzzy on June 29, 2007 at 2:04 PM

Keli on June 29, 2007 at 1:58 PM

Exactly. Furthermore, if I were moving to France — wait, I’d never do that!!! OK, if I were moving to Germany, I’d be sure to know enough German to get by before I went there!

db on June 29, 2007 at 2:05 PM

lorien1973 on June 29, 2007 at 1:47 PM

Stewie: mmm, your anguish sustains me.

BadgerHawk on June 29, 2007 at 2:06 PM

greggish on June 29, 2007 at 2:03 PM

What a despicable, deceitful, shameful excuse for a United States Senator.

Yea, but doesnt that describe almost all United States Senator’s, well except Duncan Hunter and Jeff Sessions…

doriangrey on June 29, 2007 at 2:08 PM

Don’t forget DeMint dorian!

Bad Candy on June 29, 2007 at 2:13 PM

What’s so infuriating about this is not that he’s lying–after all, he’s a politician and his lips are moving–but that he thinks we’re so stupid that we’d believe it. I’d have way more respect for him if he’d just admitted that he didn’t want to be on the losing side.

student on June 29, 2007 at 2:17 PM

That is one pathetically sorry excuse. It would have been more credible if he claimed that he was unsure if a “yes” vote was to kill the bill or to save it. That says a lot.

I also propose a new nickname – “Stretch”.

kjspeedial on June 29, 2007 at 2:21 PM

Best yet: “Sen Brownnose”, by Emperor Misha I.

mile66 on June 29, 2007 at 2:25 PM

The arrogance of this congress is astounding. To get a simple majority in a free, and democratic republic is unusual. When the number of citezens opposed to amnesty was between 70 and 80%, that’s almost biblical. How does congress explain their behaviour?

This amnesty bill approaches Mexico levels of corruption. It was more than corporate servitude, it was a wholesale sell-out of our Senate in it’s attempt to abandon US Citezens for votes from illegal immigrants, and pay outs from corporations.

In the end Shamnesty was defeated by our outrage, a very very few courageous senators, and most notably, a lot of fence sitting cowards waiting to see which side they should hop on.

Just remember, every time McCain, Kennedy, Reid, Brownback, or Bush speak, they are actually spitting at you.

Rode Werk on June 29, 2007 at 2:33 PM

“We marched peacefully”………thanks for going out of your way to act like a civil human being.

nottakingsides on June 29, 2007 at 2:39 PM

Did anyone besides me notice in the switch vote clip he appeared to be looking at possibly a PDA and a text message came across and said “polls are in, switch vote now”. The still has him looking at something and after his vote you can see him looking at it again. Then Kerry came over to see what he was looking at. Go back and view it here:

On-my-soap-box on June 29, 2007 at 2:41 PM

Oh fer crying out loud. Gimme a bottle of anything. And a glazed donut…..to go.

MrC_5150 on June 29, 2007 at 2:46 PM

fool

frreal on June 29, 2007 at 2:49 PM

ughhhh… People like this make me ashamed to be hispanic.

JVelez on June 29, 2007 at 2:52 PM

You know he’s lying… his lips moved.

I guess he takes the entire country for fools and idiots. He’d make a great POTUS!

What a tool.

SilverStar830 on June 29, 2007 at 2:54 PM

Tears of a Clown.

Bad Candy on June 29, 2007 at 3:04 PM

BB la strange

On-my-soap-box on June 29, 2007 at 3:09 PM

As for EL Piolin (Tweedy Bird) and his claims about his “letters” he so-called delivered… yeah, he drove cross country in an 18-wheeler to deliver “a million letters” supporting the Amnesty Bill to Ted Kennedy and Bob Menendez at a photo-op press conference.

The problem was: The Boxes Were Empty. Thinking quick on his feet, much like a shadowy figure crossing the border from Mexico to the U.S. in the dead of night when La Migra is driving up, EL Tweedy Bird quickly claimed the boxes were empty because of; the “security” hassle of the Capital Police having to check so many boxes.

To that I ask, “They don’t check empty boxes too?”

Shamnesty, Scamnesty… six of one, a half dozen of another.

SilverStar830 on June 29, 2007 at 3:13 PM

Sessions-DeMint whata ticket!

Speakup on June 29, 2007 at 3:29 PM

I can’t believe what I am reading on this blog.

You mean that all of you dare question the integrity of a politition, a man sworn to uphold the constitution and defend our freedom and borders.

Shame on all of you for denying this honorable man his place in history. Yes, he knew the heat he was going to take, but principle overroad his desire for grandstanding…he needed to make a point to all of us., to educate us, to enlighten us.

This champion of democracy, wanted to let us poor uneducated worthless voters know that we need a bill, some type of law to make it illegal to come into this country without proper documentation. Thank you all wise one, we never thought of securing the border with laws.

From now one his name shall never be uttered in public, he is so honored. Nor his name pronouced, lest we be struck by lightning and our taxes go up…he will known forthwith as….nothing.

right2bright on June 29, 2007 at 3:39 PM

Good, then he’ll understand when my spokesman says I didn’t end up for him, though there might be an appropriate place to “showcase” Kansas. Don’t ask me what that might be though, cause I all can think right now is political maroons.

Spirit of 1776 on June 29, 2007 at 3:55 PM

*hears fifes playing while right2bright speaks.

(Green Acre reference)

On-my-soap-box on June 29, 2007 at 4:18 PM

Further down in that first article:

“You don’t go to the Senate floor to vote ‘yes’ and then vote ‘no’ in the John Kerry era unless you mean it,” Hart said.

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, the John Kerry Era.

P.S. Unless you mean what?

saint kansas on June 29, 2007 at 4:21 PM

He makes a comment about showing out leaders that “they are people of good.”

Hoodlumman

Actually, what he said was that “they are people of ‘peace’”. Whoever translated this translated it as “good”. I would say their peacefulness is somewhat more doubtful than their “goodness”, but, as you say, that was never in question in the first place. Apparently, some people just don’t get the point.

mica_ar on June 29, 2007 at 4:34 PM

Hell with Senator Brownnose.

I am more fired up to spew at Eddie PieHolin’ Sotela and his snivelin’.

“We must be strong” — because it’s a long walk home, homes.

“We marched peacefully” — so the cops wouldn’t shoot your invader asses (good thinking), now march your Spanish speaking butt right back to Jalisco.
____________________________________________________

I welcome immigrants of every race and creed, and from every nation on earth to come here legally and in an organized manner, on our terms, to learn our laws and customs, speak our language, work hard and succeed in this brilliant economic system, prosper, and be free Americans.

But, Eddie, you my friend can take your Mexican flag and your teen pregnancies, gangs, tattoos, murders, welfare, tax cheating, protests, Spanish radio and GFY.

Jaibones on June 29, 2007 at 4:55 PM

“We marched peacefully! We did!”

And prior to that 12 million or so people peacefully but illegally marched across the southern border.

THAT is the problem. And I for one will never buy the idea that breaking the law is ok for some and not for others.

JunkCoast on June 29, 2007 at 4:57 PM

I called his DC office before this hit the blogosphere and asked if they had an explanation. The intern answering the phone bumped me up to a someone higher up and he said the senator had not released a statement on it and that he did not know why he did it. That is one higher-up person in his DC staff who had no idea at the time.

I asked that he clarify his actions for the public. He got his hand caught in the cookie jar, unaware that this thing was under a microscope.

Valiant on June 29, 2007 at 5:07 PM

JunkCoast on June 29, 2007 at 4:57 PM

Good point, we didn’t even get a chance to turn over a car, or hang someone (McCain, Graham) in effigy. No loud speakers and closing down downtown. No spray painting monuments or standing in front of people filming us.

Man, we miss out on all the fun being good citizens.

right2bright on June 29, 2007 at 6:10 PM

botched switchback- go have a beer w/ john kerry, he’ll understand.

shooter on June 29, 2007 at 6:16 PM

Perhaps we should all write big checks to Brownback’s campaign.

Then stop payment on them.

Think he’ll get the sweet, sweet irony?

It’d almost be worth the 25 dollar service fee.

krakatoa on June 29, 2007 at 6:25 PM

Under Title 8 Section 1325 of the U.S. Code, “Improper Entry by Alien,” any citizen of any country other than the United States who:
• Enters or attempts to enter the United States at any time or place other than as designated by immigration officers; or
• Eludes examination or inspection by immigration officers; or
• Attempts to enter or obtains entry to the United States by a willfully false or misleading representation or the willful concealment of a material fact;
has committed a federal crime.

Violations are punishable by criminal fines and imprisonment for up to six months. Repeat offenses can bring up to two years in prison. Additional civil fines may be imposed at the discretion of immigration judges, but civil fines do not negate the criminal sanctions or nature of the offense.

Anyone guilty of any of the above conditions, MUST be deported. Congress DO YOUR JOB!!!!

DfDeportation on June 29, 2007 at 6:26 PM

I know the “el” is supposed to be masculine in the Spanish language, but are you sure that’s a guy?

Boy, and I thought a lot of American men have been feminized…

Well, yeah. If you see someone being a whiny li’l bitch, then you are obligated to laugh at the whiny li’l bitch–that’s what William Holden and Robert Mitchum did… that’s just how it works.

ScottMcC on June 29, 2007 at 7:48 PM

MMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm your tears as so tasty so salty and sweet Mr. Sotelo.
Now you know how the American people have been getting treated, for the past 40 FN years.
Ahhh Victory has never tasted so sweet.
God bless the American people, who are the only reason this bill was destroyed.
And big props to MM and all the folks on hot air for fighting the good fight.

WE FINALLY WON ONE.

Mojack420 on June 29, 2007 at 8:03 PM

Guy sneaks into my house, makes a home out of the attic. I suspect he doesn’t belong, but instead of booting him out I move all my best furniture up there, ceremonially handing him the remote and a drink?

I don’t think so.

Freelancer on June 29, 2007 at 8:28 PM

Well, now Brownback is appropriate a name for him based on the amount of horseshite he’s just tried (unsuccessfully) to feed US.

tickleddragon on June 30, 2007 at 1:33 AM

El Piolin luvs Lindsey.

DfDeportation on June 30, 2007 at 12:37 PM

And another thing: many of us make the politically incorrect comparison of these effete snivelers like Sotelo, and his soul-mates Senators Grahamnesty and Whinybich to the fairer sex.

It just doesn’t work, guys.

That 102 pound bundle of loveliness that AP calls “The Boss”, has more Huevos than these three teary fruitcakes between them.

So…there.

Jaibones on June 30, 2007 at 1:58 PM

EL Piolin (Tweedy Bird)was an illegal alien until a open borders judge gave him a green card. He used to brag on his radio show that he crossed the border illegally at age 16. He enrolled in LA schools then was hired to do the morning drive show on spanish only radio.

“Another radio host, Eddie Sotelo, known as “El Piolin” (“Tweety Bird”), also isn’t telling listeners what they should do. He vividly recalls that early in his career a competitor alerted immigration authorities that he was in the country illegally; he was arrested outside the studio. A judge at his deportation hearing listened to his story and arranged for a work permit instead.Today, he bristles at suggestions that Univision, his employer, has told its hosts not to mention the boycott. “Nobody is telling me what to do,” he says, and he has devoted extensive airtime to the issue, largely to advocates of the boycott.”

This guy aids and abets illegal immigration on his radio show everyday.He was one of the Spanish only radio show hosts that organized the marches last year.

Why has he not been deported Chertoff?

ScottyDog on June 30, 2007 at 2:24 PM

Now is the time to start sending them (illegals and their anchor babies) back.

We need housing for the homeless and sending back illegals will get it. (That should confuse the Socialist about what to do…)

Tim Burton on June 30, 2007 at 2:33 PM