Fred: “This has been a good day for America”

posted at 7:09 pm on June 28, 2007 by Allahpundit

In particular, he thanks Red State, Powerline, and Pajamas Media for helping to make it happen. Fair enough. I offer him the same warning I offered the last (near-)sexagenarian who affronted the big A: You’ve made yourself a very powerless enemy, my friend.

Even so, this is pretty funny.

Meanwhile, enjoy this CYA press release from Senate minority leader Mitch McConnell, who also seems to think it was a good day for America even though he voted against cloture on Tuesday and didn’t dare chime in today until the bill’s fate had already been decided.

Update: Mitt and Rudy also praised the vote today. The latter’s sudden change of heart on immigration is absurd, even by normal flip-flop standards.

Comments

Allahpundit, Giuliani and Romney have already praised today’s killing of the bill.

amerpundit on June 28, 2007 at 7:15 PM

I noticed the glaring lack of Hot Air (as well as MM) in his list of congrats. Hot Air was relegated to “and others.”

Not cool Fred! Not cool at all.

nailinmyeye on June 28, 2007 at 7:16 PM

Hotair has been the #1 blog on the illegal immigration issue! (sorry, you’re still my #2 overall)

gmoonster on June 28, 2007 at 7:18 PM

If this continues, I’m feeling another $450K, secretly funded, Hot Air attack ad coming.

nailinmyeye on June 28, 2007 at 7:18 PM

This has been a great day for America. The Amnesty bill died, the WSJ made itself look like the nimrods they are, and Ace tapped into his Val-u-rite fund to buy me an Iphone!

It’s so cool! I dont know how I ever blogged without one!

Jack M. on June 28, 2007 at 7:20 PM

Maybe ‘ole Mitch will wind up ‘FORMER SENATOR’ along with Trent and many others.

countywolf on June 28, 2007 at 7:20 PM

Even so, this is pretty funny.

“Where’s the beef?”

kevcad on June 28, 2007 at 7:21 PM

Thanks Allah.

amerpundit on June 28, 2007 at 7:25 PM

Hey. It says right there on the sidebar: “Pajamas Media Network Blogger.”

Of course he meant you.

kate q on June 28, 2007 at 7:26 PM

Don’t forget Hot Air or MM again Fred!.

xplodeit on June 28, 2007 at 7:31 PM

Hotair has been the #1 blog on the illegal immigration issue!

100% agree.

Spirit of 1776 on June 28, 2007 at 7:33 PM

OMG….stop the presses….one of our leaders understands that Latinos are not all the same….OMG….someone understands the dangers of people that don’t like us coming into this country with the intent of hurting us…..OMG…a leader puts America first before Big Money and votes….

Oh Happy Day.

unseen on June 28, 2007 at 7:34 PM

No one wants to go out on a limb in praising an organization whose sponsors are not known.

rw on June 28, 2007 at 7:35 PM

Related question;

Anybody see the Doug McCracken article over at TownHall? Something about have we lost the Amerian Dream,

Can you send it to me? Or a link? For some reason, none of the links and clicks to page 2 at TH works on my computer. (Any theories why?)

dhimwit on June 28, 2007 at 7:45 PM

Me either, dhimwit. I can sometimes get MKH’s blog, but almost any direct link to Townhall doesn’t work for me ever since they redesigned their site.

see-dubya on June 28, 2007 at 7:47 PM

This has been a good day for America.

Yes, getting the WSJ to admit a mistake was great.

What?

MamaAJ on June 28, 2007 at 7:54 PM

Gee Allah: the only thing that could make today better would be FedEx delivery of a shiny new iPhone tomorrow morning from “The Boss.”

Mallard T. Drake on June 28, 2007 at 7:57 PM

a very good day, indeed. you know it’s a good day when there’s so much good news about the amnesty collapse that hotair didn’t even have time to mention the supreme court’s big time smackdown of ‘diversity.’

“The way to stop discrimination on the basis of race is to stop discriminating on the basis of race,” Roberts wrote.

Hott.

AdrianG on June 28, 2007 at 8:09 PM

AdrianG on June 28, 2007 at 8:09 PM

Seriously…I’m not sure today could get much better. :)

JadeNYU on June 28, 2007 at 8:16 PM

Yeah, this one is going to be hard to top!

Spirit of 1776 on June 28, 2007 at 8:17 PM

i can see what a mistake i’ve made in suspecting that the border enforcement obcessives engage the issue through a racialist lens.

jummy on June 28, 2007 at 6:22 PM

IED for JUMMY Ha Ha Ha well JUMMY I guess you won’t be voting for this guy. If you read my original post I am on topic with Fred here. Cubans are a factor in the Mexican invasion equation. Read em and weep troll.

sonnyspats1 on June 28, 2007 at 8:21 PM

see-dubya on June 28, 2007 at 7:47 PM

I have stopped going to Townhall as no link works for me, I can’t even turn to page 2 on it. I’ve written them about the problem, to no resolve (or answer)

HA is my #1.

Tru2my2 on June 28, 2007 at 8:23 PM

An I-phone for Big A or the goldfish gets it.

Sammy316 on June 28, 2007 at 8:26 PM

So, AllahPagan, is this story about Fred, or about you?

The former is attention-worthy; the latter, not so much

Maybe if Fred starts singing the praises of KP……

Janos Hunyadi on June 28, 2007 at 8:30 PM

His praise of PJM is a praise of IMAO and Allahpundit alike… because we’re all equals.

frankj on June 28, 2007 at 8:32 PM

Senate minority leader Mitch McConnell,….. I heard from a lot of Kentuckians. Thousands of smart, well-informed people called my offices to talk about this bill. They didn’t like the idea of someone being rewarded for a crime, or the impact that this would have on a society whose first rule is the Rule of Law. They didn’t trust the government to suddenly get serious about border control after neglecting it for two decades. And I don’t blame them. I worried about all that too. And to every one of them, I say today: ‘Your voice was heard.’

sonnyspats1 on June 28, 2007 at 8:38 PM

Don’t mess with the BIG A!

sonnyspats1 on June 28, 2007 at 8:39 PM

It hurts me to say it, but nobody seems to read Hot Air. I have friends in government, policy, media and web and none of them have even heard of it. This Thompson guy isn’t really doing us any favors.

cardindex7 on June 28, 2007 at 8:39 PM

Fred Thompson pandering to right-wing bloggers? Gee, I wonder if anyone at Hot Air is now going to stop complaining about Harry Reid talking it up with left-wing bloggers?

Nah, that would make too much sense. Can’t have that.

Oh, I forgot, when a right-winger does it, it’s not “pandering”. It’s “connecting”. Just like how gay rights groups and labor unions are “special interests”, but religious right organizations are “focus groups”.

Fragility on June 28, 2007 at 8:44 PM

That is funny! Fred! is becoming Chuck Norris.

It’s beef.

‘Nuff said.

CrimsonFisted on June 28, 2007 at 8:55 PM

cardindex7 on June 28, 2007 at 8:39 PM

Heart Ache

sonnyspats1 on June 28, 2007 at 8:56 PM

cardindex7 on June 28, 2007 at 8:39 PM

I think it is because Fred! is ahead of the curve. They HAVE heard of Paul Harvey, where Fred! sits in, and they HAVE heard of ABC where Fred! blogs.

Fred! has made everyone nervous. THEY might not have heard of hotair, but they do know about the blogosphere and his polling numbers and they do not understand it.

CrimsonFisted on June 28, 2007 at 9:03 PM

Nah, that would make too much sense. Can’t have that.

Fragility on June 28, 2007 at 8:44 PM

Fred plans to run his whole campaign on the internets. The term Focus Group refers to blanking out the unnatural relationship between to men and a potiential group of people in the work force who have the potiential to make unnessecary demands and be controlled by forces other than Democratic. At the same time remaining focused on impotant things like national security and providing for a family.

sonnyspats1 on June 28, 2007 at 9:06 PM

sonnyspats1 on June 28, 2007 at 8:56 PM

AP has posted before in reference to the very small number of people in the blogosphere relative to the total of registered voters. Will see if I can find the bookmark.

Bradky on June 28, 2007 at 9:13 PM

Nah, that would make too much sense. Can’t have that.

Fragility on June 28, 2007 at 8:44 PM

Could this guy be any trollier? He might as well just write “PAY ATTENTION TO ME!!!” over and over.

Stil, he’s a pretty average troll; we’re just not use to seeing their type around here.

frankj on June 28, 2007 at 9:17 PM

jummy on June 28, 2007 at 6:22 PM

sonnyspats1 on June 28, 2007 at 8:21 PM

And while you’re at it, Jummy…a spell check would be nice.

tickleddragon on June 28, 2007 at 9:19 PM

An I-phone for Big A or the goldfish gets it.

Sammy316 on June 28, 2007 at 8:26 PM

I say, “or the Robot gets it”. That should get them moving. They COULD NOT do without the humping robot.

tickleddragon on June 28, 2007 at 9:20 PM

Janos Hunyadi on June 28, 2007 at 8:30 PM

Not so much, Nastiness. The HotAir crew busted A$$ to keep us all informed…it was a major resource and the diss, tho probably not intentional, was still felt. Not only by Allah..but by the rest of us FredFolk.

tickleddragon on June 28, 2007 at 9:22 PM

Fragility on June 28, 2007 at 8:44 PM

ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

tickleddragon on June 28, 2007 at 9:24 PM

frankj on June 28, 2007 at 9:17 PM

No, Frank. Calling him average would be a step up. We should expect a much higher quality troll here.

Random Numbers (Brian Epps) on June 28, 2007 at 9:36 PM

OT, but I just got off the phone with my mom, who is a life-long democrat and considers me the “heathen republican”. She’s waiting for Fred to announce and she’s going to vote for him! It’s been a VERY good day!

speed911 on June 28, 2007 at 9:42 PM

If I’m not mistaken, MM is part of Pajama Media, or Pajama Media is part of MM & HA.

Either way, doesn’t this elude to kudos?

Heck, sometimes it’s not the glory its the iPhone job well done.

Kini on June 28, 2007 at 9:44 PM

Could this guy girl be any trollier? He might as well just write “PAY ATTENTION TO ME!!!” over and over.

frankj on June 28, 2007 at 9:17 PM

Entelechy on June 28, 2007 at 10:04 PM

Let’s be real. I myself never heard of Hotair. I only discovered this place because jihadwatch.com had a vent here. Most people have never heard of Michelle Malkin, either. We live in a small bubble that is not shared by 98% of the people out there. Indeed, nobody I know personally has ever heard of any of these blogs, including DailyKos. Do a Jay Leno routine and stop somebody on a sidewalk and ask them.

But it’s worse. Most people have never heard of Fred Thompson.

jihadwatcher on June 28, 2007 at 10:04 PM

BTW, my sister watches Law & Order, and even she has never heard of Fred Thompson.

jihadwatcher on June 28, 2007 at 10:06 PM

Interesting article about Fred and Rudy

Bradky on June 28, 2007 at 10:07 PM

Fred Fred Fred, I’m a supporter but ya know we needed leadership on this issue when the battle was in doubt not just words after the battle was won. Nevermind, Tancredo picked up the slack and fought alongside us.

Buzzy on June 28, 2007 at 10:23 PM

“FredFolk”, I like that.

Rose on June 28, 2007 at 10:31 PM

No Dos Equus today, Yuengling. Oldest brewery in the U.S. of A.

Tastes even better after the vote.

Cold, crisp and nutty.

(Like many senators.)

Cheers!

profitsbeard on June 28, 2007 at 10:50 PM

It’s like Karen Hughes all over again. I need a puppy to hug and flowers to strew about.

Mojave Mark on June 28, 2007 at 10:52 PM

Buzzy on June 28, 2007 at 10:23 PM

How about back on June 13th?

Tennman on June 28, 2007 at 10:55 PM

You know what would have made the day complete? Video of the humpbot amorously attacking an ATM….and then showing up at a Mitch McConnell fundraiser.

Steve LLamabutcher on June 28, 2007 at 11:11 PM

The AMNESTY bill flushed them all out, and there are a whole lot of pigeons flying around looking like dead ducks.

McConnell, the leader who didn’t lead, like a guard dog with out a bark. Color me disappointed.

tarpon on June 28, 2007 at 11:31 PM

I posted this over at NewsBusters, but it works just as well here:

After observing the lunacy that nearly transpired in the U.S. Senate earlier today with the scamnesty bill, it is clear the many in the Republican Party have lost their way. We need someone who will help put the train back on the tracks and send the RINOs packing.

Fred Thompson has two internet sites that I know will interest many of my friends here at NB.

This one most of us are probably familiar with: http://fredfile.imwithfred.com/

This is a new forum that was just started up a few days ago: http://fredthompson08.mywowbb.com/

Folks, I don’t have to tell you here what the stakes are in ’08. We cannot afford a Hildebeast or that Barack Obama guy in the Oval Office. Nor can we afford another RINO like George W. Bush.

We need a real conservative.

Dave R. on June 28, 2007 at 11:47 PM

Let’s be real. I myself never heard of Hotair.

Ahh, but you see, Fred has. He knows this place is full of cheerleaders for him. For now I consider that his naming of PJM includes HA and MM, but I understand of AP feels slighted.

Attaboys aren’t near as big a deal as just doing the right thing, whether or not it’s noticed.

Nah, that would make too much sense. Can’t have that.

Fragility on June 28, 2007 at 8:44 PM

Still here, huh? The hammer is slow and patient today. You should check the archives, search on the name honora. If you’re going to play the liberal topic-shift game, learn from a pro, right now you aren’t even an amateur.

And you don’t even have your shifted issue right. When a celebrity personality congratulates those who had a hand in making a difference, it isn’t pandering, connecting, or whatever other misplaced adjective you’d like to apply. It is called giving credit where credit is due. Conservative blogs and talk radio had a major influence in killing this thing, period.

As for a comparison of our critiques of Dingy Harry, it’s that he “connects” with hatemongers of the leftosphere. If Senator Thompson was congratulating a skinhead or nazi site for their political impact, he’d get the derision he’d deserve for such a mistake.

Get it?

I didn’t really think so.

Freelancer on June 29, 2007 at 12:01 AM

You know… The nice thing about the fragile one…. (s)he makes me miss Honora; and even makes me appreciate Nonfactor’s ‘contributions’ somewhat.

LegendHasIt on June 29, 2007 at 12:21 AM

fred? has no shame. Here he is, trying glom onto the conservative blogs success while dissing HA. Just like the time he claimed Reagan changed his speech because fred? told him to, freddie boy now tries to pretend like he is the spokesman for the righty blogs!

And while slamming the south of the border illegals who are usually dems, he praises the Cuban immigrants because they are republican. The problem is that the immigration bill would have had little effect, if any, on the Cuban community.

This is why freddie boy doesn’t get into debates. A savvy opposite would have skewered his sorry a$$ on that obvious display of the Tennessee two-step.

It’s also why we must oppose the illegal immigration of Castro’s agents into the United States while welcoming the vast majority who immigrate legally and with legal intentions.

Hey fred?, how many Cubans legally immigrate in the traditional way, and how many come over in boats? A Cuban spy can get into the US AND receive refugee status, simply by putting a foot on dry land.

It seems to me that few Americans understand the threat that the illegal entry by Cuban spies represents to our country,

Compared to other immigrant status, there is no such thing as “illegal” entry into the US by Cubans. “wet foot, dry foot”, among other things allows special refugee status to all Cubans.

One aspect of the problem created by the special policies for Cubans is that illegal immigrants from Cuba can bypass being sent back to Cuba under the ‘wet-foot’ dry-foot’ policy if they travel to a third country and then arrive at a U.S. land port of entry. Under our policy, that constitutes a ‘dry-foot’ arrival in the country. This is an opportunity that is increasingly being exploited by Cubans smuggled out of Cuba.

So, spare us fred? you pandering hack! Get into the debate so we can dispatch you post haste!

csdeven on June 29, 2007 at 12:28 AM

csdeven on June 29, 2007 at 12:28 AM

So once Fred declares you’ll have nothing left to talk about right?

At some point you’re going to have to get over the fact that Flip Romney will not be the nominee. Just let it go. You’ll be a Fred Fanboy soon enought once he gets the nod.

Mojave Mark on June 29, 2007 at 1:21 AM

Fred Thompson for President! This guy rocks in every way possible!

msipes on June 29, 2007 at 2:08 AM

Tennman on June 28, 2007 at 10:55 PM

Well there was June 13th but honestly words hardly compete with Tancredo sending Chertoff a head of lettuce and a fruit basket in response to his asinine statements.

Buzzy on June 29, 2007 at 2:43 AM

So once Fred declares you’ll have nothing left to talk about right?

Mojave Mark on June 29, 2007 at 1:21 AM

Glad to see you agree with me. It’s been real pleasing to see you guys start seeing the light about freddie boy.

csdeven on June 29, 2007 at 8:15 AM

Yes, a good day for America. Also a good day… a new day for the Republican Party, I’d hope.

petefrt on June 29, 2007 at 9:33 AM

csdeven on June 29, 2007 at 8:15 AM

What, that he’ll have a tough time getting the mentally ill to vote for him?

Hollowpoint on June 29, 2007 at 1:09 PM

Hollowpoint on June 29, 2007 at 1:09 PM

You’ll have to clear up for the group just what your position is on freds? ignorance and pandering on the Cuban immigration issue. Because you have not defended him, there must be no defense and by extension you must agree that he has no clue, or he is a purposeful lair.

Either way, it’s clear he is not worthy of the status of presidential candidate.

csdeven on June 29, 2007 at 2:50 PM

I can hear Allah quoting the Soup Nazi “You’re pushing your luck, little man.”

clghitis on June 29, 2007 at 3:27 PM

I agree with

Hey. It says right there on the sidebar: “Pajamas Media Network Blogger.”

Of course he meant you.

kate q on June 28, 2007 at 7:26 PM

I think by saying “Pajamas Media” he meant Hot Air, MM, and anyone else involved in/with Pajamas Media who contributed to the conservative debate on Illegal Immigration.

ITookTheRedPill on June 29, 2007 at 7:55 PM