David “Idiot Liberals” Obey: These right-wing talk-radio morons must remain free

posted at 8:27 pm on June 28, 2007 by Allahpundit

He got his wish: 309-115, although I suspect the vote will be a shade more “nuanced” if and when they revisit this issue with a Democrat in the White House. Then again, if Bush was willing to push shamnesty, why wouldn’t he be willing to push this?

Many thanks to our pal Captain Ed for the tip on the clip. He liveblogged the whole debate.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Somebody need to do a side-by-side video of Dr. Evil from Austin Powers doing his finger quotation signs on EACH word, just like Obey did in this video.

nottakingsides on June 28, 2007 at 11:30 PM

Fragile Mind,

I have no quarrel with the Rasmussen poll, but then I don’t know what his poll actually asked and don’t really care. I like Limbaugh and find his show entertaining and his views consistently in line with my own.

In order for “60% of Americans to dislike you”, pretty much everyone needs to think they know who you are, which is why you are not quoting Rasmussen poll results about Mike Malloy or Al Franken, both of whom are competitors of Rush, and benefit from the full marketing power of the three largest television networks in the U.S.

So what’s your point, dickeater? You want to silence the three largest radio commentators in the U.S. because you disagree with them. And, yes, that makes you a communist.

GFY.

Jaibones on June 28, 2007 at 11:40 PM

Does anyone besides myself ever ponder what this country or world for that matter would be like, if say only 1/2 of all the media, professors, soups channels, major network programming, movies(Hollywood), ect. were conservative or even middle of the road?

oldernslower on June 28, 2007 at 11:44 PM

oldernslower on June 28, 2007 at 11:44 PM

Yeah it would be like 1776 to 1910 in america

unseen on June 28, 2007 at 11:48 PM

Jaibones on June 28, 2007 at 11:40 PM

Well said. I think we might have seen the last of that particular troll anyway.

thedecider on June 28, 2007 at 11:50 PM

Throughout his whole speech, you can really hear his contempt for the success of conservative talk radio. His barely concealed contempt for the overwhelming success of people like Rush and Sean obviously irritates him to the highest levels. One wonders why he (and others like him) don’t bother to question the overwhelming lack of success of liberal talk radio. Perhaps they already know.

thedecider on June 28, 2007 at 11:56 PM

By the way, why is his message so out of step with Harry Greed?

thedecider on June 28, 2007 at 11:59 PM

It is hard for me to distinguish if Obey is for or
against the Fairness Doctrine, as his slurs are awash
in sarcasm. But I’m betting he would vote ” yea ”
if he has an opportunity.

izzatso on June 29, 2007 at 12:01 AM

He already knew that there was zero chance of the FD going anywhere, so he dropped back and punted, crafting an argument that turns opposing the FD into an attack against Rush/Sean/Savage/Levin.

It was decidedly pathetic. Translation:

“We can’t stop you great purple meanie-heads, but that’s ok, because you don’t matter anyway, NYAH!”

Freelancer on June 29, 2007 at 12:20 AM

Isn’t it fun to see the roaches run when the light of information is shined on them?

congress needs to wake up and understand that everything they say is not on video and every action they take is online.

every vote they make can be easily searched.

With the internet the PEOPLE now more than every before have a check and balance on our government and we are going to use it until they choke on it.

They can not shut us up. They can not ignore us and they can not fool us.

We will not be denied.

unseen on June 29, 2007 at 12:22 AM

not=now

unseen on June 29, 2007 at 12:26 AM

AAHHHhhhh… Thanks guys for all the laughs in all the blogs!!!!!!!!!!!!! Between Silky Pony; the lettuce-for-Chertoff campaign; and Obey: “fan of the Genius Book of World Records champion, shortest-amount-of-time in-finding-God, Paris Hilton fan”, I sincerely don’t know which provided the most laughs and healing from my “loud folk anger” syndrome. You guys are the greatest!!!!!!!

My hats off to Michelle Malkin and the staff for providing this new forum. You have just replaced The Dreadful drudge report as my favorite coming-home-to-blog family.
You make Drudge taste like a zesty red-faced Harry Reid ice cream flavor invented by Baskin Robbin’s Lumpa-Umpuh-Dupity-Du design team that accidently mixed in Ted Kennedy’s shirt tails recovered from the drowned car, along with the ground up eel bits (air dried in Al Gore’s sun room) found crawling in the wet seat cushions, sprinkled on top of your ice cream cone.
Whew!!! That was a tasty mouthful if I have to say it myself. Thanks for letting me blow off some steam.

Mcguyver on June 29, 2007 at 12:28 AM

Fragility on June 28, 2007 at 8:36 PM

No, more like the poll that had your boy Kerry and his supporters popping champaign bottles in Copley square celebrating his victory … oh wait… Thinks slow at DU and dKOS tonight?

TheBigOldDog on June 29, 2007 at 12:41 AM

I,m confused I thought talk radio was responsible for Global Warming. canopfor June 29,2007 at 12:41 am

canopfor on June 29, 2007 at 12:42 AM

Man, what a night at the site! I’m starting to look forward to this every night.

countywolf on June 29, 2007 at 12:51 AM

countywolf on June 29, 2007 at 12:51 AM

Well it was an extraordinary day. Racial discrimination in schools blown up by the Supreme Court (30 years too late considering what forced busing did to Boston and the schools). The defeat of the immigrationabomination and the defeat of the first test of the Fairness doctrine. Bush looked like he wanted to cry – he got all the cost and none of the benefit from this debacle. The traitors on the right and their utter contempt for the American people were completely exposed… yup, it’s been one heck of a day!

TheBigOldDog on June 29, 2007 at 12:59 AM

I wonder, BigOldDog, is it possible that Georgey was that dumb to get sucked into a set up by the democ-rats on a real bad immigration bill, knowing it would be defeated, so as they could get the ‘latino’ vote in ’08 away from the Republicans?

countywolf on June 29, 2007 at 1:08 AM

Is that a serious question? Obviously I mean “the most accurate”.

Fragility on June 28, 2007 at 9:26 PM

On Rasmussen, as far as pollsters go, he’s the most accurate. All who argued against this point might wish to compare pollsters.

There are plenty of valid arguments to make against Fragility, as for ex. “we kicked your ars in Nov” – no you didn’t. If our arses would have been kicked yours would be able to pass things left and right, things of substance.

To tickle’s questions “why are you here?” – to get attention, in a placid and non-threatening way. I love to have trolls around. Without them it’s too boring.

Entelechy on June 29, 2007 at 1:15 AM

Entelechy on June 29, 2007 at 1:15 AM

My dear friend, I really think with any poll, accuracy, is like taking a slice of pizza where all the pepperoni is all stacked on the other side of the pie and you’re only seeing is cheese, but no anchovies meat.

As for the trolls, I like em also! It brings out some great counter arguments against the trolls. I just wish some of the comments can be less obtuse and more articulate but less long winded but more irreverent. Or not so boring.

Sorta like mine, eh?

Kini on June 29, 2007 at 1:52 AM

countywolf on June 29, 2007 at 1:08 AM

Sure looks that way. The GOP has taken a beating over this across the board. They were fools for not simply walking away after it failed the first time. No, those idiots had to try it again almost immediately. That will go down in history as one of the most idiotic acts of suicide ever committed by a political party in American history. Unfortunately what is really shows is how arrogant and out-of-touch they have become.

TheBigOldDog on June 29, 2007 at 1:53 AM

What’ya think about Fred? Is he real as he seems? Can he do it? Bring the country back to its’ senses, back to being a country, and not a ‘mall’ for foreigners to come and go as they please?

countywolf on June 29, 2007 at 2:07 AM

“Yap yap tv”. So, that’s what an elected official thinks of commentators exercising their First Amendment rights.

Ah well. A “holier than thou” liberal who doesn’t want the Fairness Doctrine. I’ll take it.

Even as every word out of this hack’s mouth makes me want to puke.

To be fair, I don’t consider Air America to be modestly influential or respectable either.

The difference?

People listen to Hannity and Rush.

Hawkins1701 on June 29, 2007 at 7:25 AM

Yeah dude, I guess those were “manhattan residents” Rasmussen was polling when he put up polls showing us kicking your ass last November.

Guess it was just a coincidence we won, right?

Fragility on June 28, 2007 at 10:07 PM

Anyone who had any knowledge of election history would know that a 6th year in office usually goes against the Current President’s Party regarding Congressional seats. The fact that the Dems BARELY won a majority given all the screwups Bush has made is indicative that the Democrats are still weak. 2006 was the weakest 6th year election turnover in election history. You picked up 6 Senate seats when 34 were up for grabs, when the President’s approval rating was in the dirt, during an unpopular war and continued Katrina race-baiting. Good job barely winning back the Senate and the House when all historical factors were in your favor. So tell me, who breaks the tie if any Democratic Senator breaks with the Party Line? Why, Dick Cheney does. Congratulations on your 1 seat majority, you got us whipped good.

Speaking of polls, how is Congress doing? Oh, thats right, as soon as the first polling data came out the mighty do-nothing Democratic congress that promised “ta bring cha-ange” was polling lower than Bush.

I can see why your name is Fragility, it describes the primary characteristic of your arguments.

BKennedy on June 29, 2007 at 8:10 AM

David Obey (D-Cheeseheadland) is yet another reason why we need term limitation for members of Congress.

pilamaye on June 29, 2007 at 8:30 AM

Who is this guy to pick on Paris? She’s a private citizen just minding her own business for the most part.

Irrelevent? No one could be as irrelevent as you you snob. You call these people irrelevent while most Americans will never even know who the hell you are.

amend2 on June 29, 2007 at 9:07 AM

What an arrogant condescending little PRICK

400lb Gorilla on June 29, 2007 at 9:34 AM

This guy is an idiot. Rush ALREADY does his thing EXACTLY how he wants to do it. And, guess what, fool? They are making a difference.

this nitwit is whistling past the graveyard, for sure, totally out of touch with reality.

Warner Todd Huston on June 29, 2007 at 10:04 AM

Obey is proof that insulation from reality is rampant on Capitol Hill. Time to turn out the entire class of the professional politician.

MCPO Airdale on June 29, 2007 at 10:20 AM

Entelechy on June 29, 2007 at 1:15 AM

Yep, no question Rasmussen is the most accurate, and very none partisan.

There are plenty of valid arguments to make against Fragility,

Yep right again, the best argument would be…OK so 60% dont like Rush, however 33% really really like him and last time I checked 33% of 300 million was 33 million. And any person who has 33 million people listening to them on a daily basis is going to have a enormous impact on any issue they take on.

BKennedy on June 29, 2007 at 8:10 AM

Heh heh while that may be true, most of the arguments I have seen Fragility put forth do have substance and fact behind them. They just are not arguments conservatives find favor with.

Rationality and logic are brutal mistresses and far right conservative that I am my love of rational logical argument forces me to accept that conservatives are not the sole guardians of rational logical thought.

BTW every time I see Fragility’s name here I do not think of fractured logic, since annoying as his arguments are they are factual and logical for some reason what I do think is that his NIC comes from Fragil Rock… (yes I used to watch Fragil Rock…It was funny ok…)

doriangrey on June 29, 2007 at 10:23 AM

Considering Rush Limbaugh is disliked by more than 60% of the American people…Although there’s only a 10% chance of that

striper1 on June 29, 2007 at 12:15 PM

Forgive the OT, please.

Kini on June 29, 2007 at 1:52 AM

Dearest Kini (love = mutual), we agree. All things being relative, I used “as far as pollsters go”. What’s wrong with a few anchovies? :) Have another wonderous day in paradise. Miraculously, having been on many other islands, never been there. I’ll see you some day, though, and we’ll cover a lot of gardening and cooking grounds, aside from others.

OT, somewhat…

doriangrey on June 29, 2007 at 10:23 AM

Heh, dear doriangrey, Ayn Rand w/b proud of you for making that statement, and I liked it a lot too. However, she’d say that it is irrational and illogical to be of Fragility’s philosophicla/political persuasion :) Respectfully,

Entelechy on June 29, 2007 at 12:36 PM

TheBigOldDog on June 29, 2007 at 1:53 AM

agreed

unseen on June 29, 2007 at 12:49 PM

Where did you get that # from?

At least 99% of the respondents know and have an opinion about Rush, whereas some 48% don’t even know (or care?) who someone as “important” as Maureen Dowd is.

benjo on June 29, 2007 at 1:54 PM

David Obey GYN

urbancenturion on June 29, 2007 at 1:58 PM

I want to see the real, raw Rush… thoroughly and fully exposed…

Sounds to me like he wants to see Rush in a Playgirl spread. (Yuck!)

rmgraha on June 29, 2007 at 5:21 PM

I attempted to e-mail the following comment to Obey but, surprise, he doesn’t except out of state e-mails.

Honorable U.S. Representative David Obey,

I must agree with you that dissent in our country should not be allowed.

There have been many counties, past and present, that agree with your premise and took steps necessary to see that their governments were never criticized thereby giving them free-reign in their operation. That is, after all, what the Democrats want, isn’t it?

In order to accomplish your anti-criticism program might I suggest following the examples of Russia, North Korea, Iran, and Cuba, just to name a few, where dissent was successfully illuminated. They are the worlds shining models of what you want to do.

You should also consider repealing the 1st Amendment of the Constitution.

Power to the Democrats!