Audio: Mark Levin interviews Rep. Duncan Hunter re immigration & the Fairness Doctrine

posted at 10:02 am on June 28, 2007 by Bryan

GOP presidential candidate, Rep. Duncan Hunter appeared on the Mark Levin Show last night to talk about immigration. Levin asks Hunter about the Democrats’ efforts to resurrect the Fairness Doctrine at about 10:30 into the interview. If you’re a conservative and haven’t settled on a candidate for ’08, Hunter is worth a serious look. Click to play.

Hot Air interviewed Rep. Hunter at CPAC earlier this year.

Comments

He’s a solid VP candidate

brak on June 28, 2007 at 10:07 AM

Tancredo – Hunter 2008.

(Although it’ll probably be Fred/Hunter.)

profitsbeard on June 28, 2007 at 10:08 AM

Duncan hunter is great. He’s not a top tier presidential candidate, but a good VP pick.

I think the VP slot is settled though isn’t it? It’ll be one of the losers of Romney/Giuliani/Thompson.

lorien1973 on June 28, 2007 at 10:08 AM

Levin is on (from 6-8 pm) against Michael Savage (from 6-9 pm)here in N.Y. I usually only listen to him when Savage is in repeats but he seems great too.

Joey1974 on June 28, 2007 at 10:14 AM

Hunter is good but did you guys see what Tanc did yesterday???

Joey1974 on June 28, 2007 at 10:17 AM

The libs don’t really want the fairness doctrine. They just want to bitch about it.
If it were to be imposed then we would have to change to following.
NPR, LA Times, New York Times, Readers Digest, CNN, CBS, MSNBC, NBC, ABC.
Al Jeseera, suffice to say all MSM news outlets. The issue is just an ideological issue they want to look intellectual about.

TheSitRep on June 28, 2007 at 10:27 AM

The libs don’t really want the fairness doctrine. They just want to rant about it.
If it were to be imposed then we would have to change to following.
NPR, LA Times, New York Times, Readers Digest, CNN, CBS, MSNBC, NBC, ABC.

TheSitRep on June 28, 2007 at 10:28 AM

The dems want to keep the issue alive as a point of sufferage.

TheSitRep on June 28, 2007 at 10:31 AM

The primary argument of the left for the reasonability of the fairness doctrine in radio is that the airwaves are owned by the public. The right argues that there is no fairness doctrine being threatened against the NYT, LAT, etc., which the left says is because they are private businesses (which is obviously true). What is the counterargument of the right?

samuelrylander on June 28, 2007 at 10:36 AM

The dems have the same crack at the airwaves as the conservatives. They have tried, god knows they have tried. But their shtick wont draw enough employed people to make it profitable. NBC, ABC and CBS are on public air waves too.

If the leftist propaganda was commercially viable Air America would be successful.

TheSitRep on June 28, 2007 at 10:46 AM

That’s a good argument.

samuelrylander on June 28, 2007 at 10:47 AM

Hunter impresses.

Spirit of 1776 on June 28, 2007 at 10:51 AM

Texas has no fencing? How about redeploying some swift boats on the Rio Grande?

Who’s gonna pick the lettuce and cut the meat? May I suggest training some poor urbanites to do these jobs? It would beat the crap over the life many of them are stuck in.

Bigfoot on June 28, 2007 at 11:06 AM

I don’t need to listen to two of my favorite guys.
I have a Duncan Hunter for ’08 bumper sticker on my car. Perhaps that’s why an illegal alien rear-ended it yesterday, then fled the scene. It’s dangerous to love your country.

Christine on June 28, 2007 at 11:11 AM

F. Thompson/Hunter in ’08. A winning ticket.

Nethicus on June 28, 2007 at 11:47 AM

I actually find it sad that none of the our 1st row candidates found time to say more than a few words about the ShAmnesty bill. I expected more from Fred, got about what I expected from “Sanctuary City” Rudy, and “big business” Mitt.

Hunter and Tancredo are SOLID conservatives with great voting records and both have stood by us through this ordeal. I do however have to give the edge to Tancredo for sending Chertoff a head of lettuce and fruit basket for his stupid remarks. You have to love it when a candidate plays the game the same way we do!

I’m thinking that ShAmnesty and enforcing our immigration laws may need to stay at the top of our attention this election cycle. It’s a loser for the DEMs and quite a few of the Republicans.

Buzzy on June 28, 2007 at 12:06 PM

Refreshing

Kini on June 28, 2007 at 12:42 PM

Hunter/Thompson is the way to go. We need to hear more from Duncan Hunter. He’s the true conservative we need. NO MORE RINOS!

sinsing on June 28, 2007 at 1:45 PM

Every time I hear Mr. Hunter speak, I find myself more and more impressed. I will be turning my ear in his direction every chance I get from now on! I like what I’m hearing!!!

soulsirkus on June 28, 2007 at 2:59 PM

I like Tancredo, but he’s almost a clown at this point. Tanc’s lettuce gag is great, but it’s a stunt.

It’s too bad that more people don’t consider Hunter a higher caliber candidate. He’s been my (silent) preference for months. He is solidly conservative, and he has never been silly (that I know of).

I like Fred! too, but I wonder if he isn’t more sizzle than steak.

Obviously, McCain is essentially gone; but the dirty, little secret I need to share is that Rudy won’t get my vote either. I’ll just skip the presidential vote and move down the ballot. I will vote for Mitt if it comes right down to it, but I would much prefer a principled conservative than another opportunisitic faker (with an A, mind you).

urbancenturion on June 28, 2007 at 3:57 PM

Of the two primary debates I saw, I was most impressed with Duncan Hunter. I didn’t know anything about him before the debates but after watching them each two or three times I decided that of the announced candidates, Hunter was my first choice.

I’m hoping for a Thompson/Hunter ticket, although I’m uncommitted to Thompson until I see him in action. The opinion pieces he’s been releasing are outstanding, but how is he going to perform in a debate?

So I’m a Fred!?!

If Thompson doesn’t hold up to expectations, I hope Hunter gets the nod.

I like Tancredo but I doubt he has a shot at being on the ticket, so I’m hoping he will have a cabinet post, perhaps the head of Homeland Security, assuming it isn’t dismantled.

Bolton would be an excellent Secretary of State.

FloatingRock on June 28, 2007 at 4:10 PM

I’ve actually liked Hunter for a while. When I have tried to talk him up, even to conservative friends offline, unfortunately the response is Duncan who? People have been talking about looking for a real conservative and he’s been there all along. But for some reason, not gaining any ground.

PowWow on June 28, 2007 at 4:56 PM

I’ve liked Duncan Hunter since I first saw him in one of the debates. I don’t know why he isn’t getting more attention than he is?!

For those of you not voting if you don’t like the Republican candidate, think of the consequences if a Democrat gets in.

pugsly on June 28, 2007 at 7:11 PM

Hunter and Tancredo (and Huckabee) are the strongest conservatives running for President. I’m sick of settling, and yet all I hear is people saying “Sure, he’s great, but he’s got no traction”. Then it’s time for you and me to create some traction! Serve your conscience, and support the best men, do it with positive action. There is far more to be gained by telling people why they should like someone than repeatedly telling people why they shouldn’t like someone.

In a perfect world, Hunter, Tancredo, Huckabee, Brownback and Tommy Thompson all get together and decide which of them has the best shot. All the others drop back in behind that man, and throw him over the top.

Since that isn’t going to happen, and since people will NOT suddenly and passionately support the “second tier” candidates no matter how much you agree with them, the next best choice is a man who is at least nearly as conservative as them, knows how the game is played, and has integrity and sincerity.

Freelancer on June 28, 2007 at 7:29 PM

I do not like any of the main candidates. Mitt I can live with but none of the others make an empression on me. Never thought of Hunter as a candidate but he is impressive here.

SIJ6141 on June 28, 2007 at 10:32 PM

We built the Alaska pipeline in 7 years I bet we could build the wall in 2 years if we our mind to it.
During that 2 years we could systematically ramp up the crack down on employers.
And make citizenship mandatory for medical care and education. We could demand cash payment from the Mexican or what ever other consulate before we treat any patients.

TheSitRep on June 28, 2007 at 10:54 PM

No matter what anyone says…, I believe that we have a lot of good people to choose from. Let’s hope the party chooses and backs Hunter or someone of his caliber. Unfortunately, senators and representatives don’t usually fair as well as governors and sitting VPs. I don’t see Cheney running, so maybe things will be different this time around. I’d settle for any of our guys, except Ron Paul, but Man…! I pray that Fred! and the best (rest?) of the good guys show strongly and drag the standards to the right. Please, bless us, Ronaldus Maximus.

Rugged Individual on June 29, 2007 at 11:04 AM

Duncan hunter is great. He’s not a top tier presidential candidate…
Why not? This is a circular trap. He’s not a top tier candiate because no one knows him and no one knows him because he doesn’t get much media attention, It’s a crying shame, BUT if he gains momentum, he can beat the pantsuit off of HRC in 2012.
His wife may be a problem because she’s not a fashion plate and a dedicated wife, mother and grandmother.
Tom Tancredo would be a good VP candidate for Duncan, but again the good guys come in last.

Christine on June 29, 2007 at 2:06 PM