Audio: Voinovich humiliates himself in shamnesty debate with Hannity; Update: Cloture votes down to 60?

posted at 6:33 pm on June 27, 2007 by Allahpundit

A travesty. He’s the personification of the bill’s ills: ignorant of and incurious about its weaknesses, confused as to what’s in it and what isn’t (per his comments about Kay Bailey Hutchison’s amendment), and worst of all brimming with arrogance at the nerve of conservative proles to be angry about this issue. This clip ought to push those confidence-in-Congress poll numbers into single digits, assuming they’re not there already.

He also appears to have only the vaguest sense of what the Fairness Doctrine is. Rest easy tonight knowing that in these capable hands may rest the fate of the nation’s immigration policy.

Link: sevenload.com

Update: I don’t want to get your hopes up but there may be a cameo tomorrow by Humping Robot.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

To call this man stupid would be an insult to all stupid people…and Cindy Sheehan.

I think a Pet Rock is more qualified to be a Senator than this guy!

dandy on June 27, 2007 at 8:50 PM

unamused on June 27, 2007 at 8:25 PM

How is that mySQL thingy coming anyways? Saw the website, but haven’t a clue how to use it to assist.

DCA on June 27, 2007 at 8:50 PM

I am not a Hannity fan but the honourable Senator is a moron who should scare the hell out of all of us. What a cluess bastard. I have a vision of Pete and Teddy sitting back smoking a cigar (probably Cuban) swilling good scotch making a deal…this is sickening….

jimwesty on June 27, 2007 at 8:51 PM

I can’t believe what a total ass-clown Voinovich is! This man votes in the senate and does not have a clue what he’s voting for. He knows, in very general terms, what he’d LIKE to see happen, but has apparently made no effort to actually keep track of what really IS happening. And he’s probably more typical than atypical. They should call him “the wedge”, because he’s apparently man’s simplest tool.

bofh on June 27, 2007 at 8:52 PM

The honorable Senator from Ohio needs to do his homework. The old adage applies, “measure twice and cut once”. These senators are not even measuring once.

Texas Mike on June 27, 2007 at 8:54 PM

I was driving when I heard this interview and almost rear-ended the guy in front of me. ALIPAC and several groups have organized “visits” at the State Capitals of the recalcitrant Senators for TOMORROW. For more info, try here: http://www.alipac.us
which includes addresses and contact info.

ncpatriot on June 27, 2007 at 8:58 PM

His handlers made a big mistake letting him go on the Hannity show today. I just listened again, he is completely oblivious.

WisCon on June 27, 2007 at 9:00 PM

Asking questions and expecting them to be answered is ambush radio? What’s your rubric for a ‘good’ interview? Keith Olbermann slobbering all over Bill Clinton’s pant leg and handing him a check for a charity?

austinnelly on June 27, 2007 at 8:39 PM

Um, I don’t think it was Bill’s pant leg that Olberdouche was slobbering over.

ReubenJCogburn on June 27, 2007 at 9:01 PM

Even if you have a certain scepticism of government and expect all career politicains to be incompetent, arrogant, and corrupt….this interview is still stunning.

Resolute on June 27, 2007 at 9:05 PM

Voinovich will not be returning to the Senate when he comes up for reelection. He’ll lose in the primary or a Democrat will defeat him. I hope it’s the former. We have a Dem. governor now and a Dem. Senator. That’s enough. Voinovich’s stand on the immigration bill, and his blowing the Fairness Doctrine question should be the nails in his coffin.

Hannity is a rude you-know-what. He’s arrogant, inspite of his repeated “humble pie” talk. I used to listen to him often but am now tired of his rudeness and not being able to stay on topic. He likes to hear himself talk instead of his guests. But he does get people to say revealing things.

Qzsusy on June 27, 2007 at 9:07 PM

Forty years of political experience? Perhaps, Senator, that is the problem. Perhaps you need to be kicked out into the private sector where you have to obey the laws you have passed. Perhaps if you lived in the real world instead of Wonderland-on-the-Potomac you’d know about such things as the Fairness Doctrine, and what was, or was not in the Illegal Alien Amnesty bill.

ogrrre on June 27, 2007 at 9:10 PM

Qzsusy on June 27, 2007 at 9:07 PM

Voinovich lost me long ago with his oppositon to conceal and carry. Nothing he says or does would surprise me. He is a total moron.

Glynn on June 27, 2007 at 9:15 PM

And he’s for the Fairness Doctrine . . . “whatever that is . . .”

ToddonCapeCod on June 27, 2007 at 9:18 PM

I must have called Burr’s office half-a-dozen times in the last two days. I got through every time, using that “Coalition for Comprehensive Immigration Reform” number, which must have some kind of inside track. When I got a staffer on the phone this afternoon, she told me Burr will vote against cloture tomorrow, and I thanked her, and asked her to pass those thanks on to him.

Doesn’t mean he’s totally off the hook on this, but I’m not ready to put him in the same category as George Voinovich. Hey, George – do you need a glass for your WHINE?

Lurking Vet on June 27, 2007 at 9:26 PM

That was almost painful to hear. And to think I voted for him the last time he was up…Ohio is on the downslide politically.

canvas on June 27, 2007 at 9:30 PM

Voinovich humiliated hisself? I thought it was an audition for a new Disney cartoon starring Dewfus.

Griz on June 27, 2007 at 9:35 PM

Normally I can’t stand Hannity, but great job putting the Senator on the spot.

I would be so happy to see the humping robot again.

frankj on June 27, 2007 at 9:40 PM

Ohio if that is the best you have to represent your state you all are in BIG TROUBLE!!

build the wall on June 27, 2007 at 9:42 PM

Wow….Voinovich has his Lindsey Graham “Huffing Puffing moment…Stunning.

truthmattersfa on June 27, 2007 at 9:45 PM

That was I think a bit less cordial than the Senator was used to.

Actually we should take it easy on Senators who at least WANT to be on our side.
After all we do need all of the Senators on our side we can get.

There is a startling difference though, how come the House Republicans seen to get it and the Senate Republicans don’t and don’t seem to want too either?

Speakup on June 27, 2007 at 9:57 PM

KEN BLACKWELL needs to run in the primary against this idiot!!!
I live in Canton, Ohio, I hope Curt Braden of the Stark County GOP sees this!!! All Ohioians get behind a draft Kenn Blackwell for Senate!!!

charmingtail on June 27, 2007 at 10:10 PM

Voinovich’s only claim to fame? He beat Dennis Kucinich for Mayor of Cleveland. Like that was hard to do…what a moron!!!

charmingtail on June 27, 2007 at 10:11 PM

Wow, I’m only 45 seconds in and my jaw has already hit the floor. What an ignorant fool.

marc@hubsandspokes on June 27, 2007 at 10:15 PM

DCA on June 27, 2007 at 8:50 PM

In progress.

PRCalDude on June 27, 2007 at 10:18 PM

This interview exposes the smugness. The arrogance. The defiance, fiscal irresponsibility, and elitism that characterizes politicians who hang out in country clubs backslapping with their “friends from the other side of the aisle.” The whole lot of them needs to be kicked to the curb.

RushBaby on June 27, 2007 at 10:27 PM

Absolutely stunning. Just completely unbelievable. I’m sorry, but Voinovich is just a jackass.

How much did this guy freak out over Bolton? How much blood, sweat and tears did he exert over that nonsense? And now he can’t even be bothered to explain himself on something that’s actually important?

Wow, I really loathe congress.

marc@hubsandspokes on June 27, 2007 at 10:27 PM

What a disgrace. I am shocked. The man doesn’t even know what’s going on and then he runs away like a coward when he can’t answer simple questions. This is what passes for a US Senator? What a total disgrace.

I encourage everyone to register your opinion of this performance at his website

TheBigOldDog on June 27, 2007 at 10:32 PM

Email I mailed the Senator:

I heard you on Sean Hannity. You are a complete idiot. It is sad we have Senators like you.

You Senators are arrogant. If the people disagree with you, then you feel intimidated. No wonder Congress has a lower rating than Bush.

You’ve not read the bill. You are trying to shove this bill down our throats. Damn you idiots. I’m ashamed to be a Republican.

You’re a COWARD and the one who is irrational. What a loser you are. God we need to get you idiots out of Congress.

This bill will bankrupt this country and you don’t give a damn.

With Senators like you in Congress we need a second Revolution.

FLLaw33870 on June 27, 2007 at 10:40 PM

build the wall on June 27, 2007 at 9:42 PM

Oh, don’t worry. Until recently, both of our Senators and our governor were Republicans. Now we have one of three and I am pretty sure Voinovich has sunk the last seat.

Glynn on June 27, 2007 at 10:40 PM

Voinovich was wrong on the bush tax cuts…ya know the ones that have caused a boom on Wall Street?

He was wrong on Bolton…then he admitted Bolton was doing a great job at the UN.

How can you trust him on this issue? He has been wrong on so many things.

charmingtail on June 27, 2007 at 10:42 PM

Voinovich is the perfect poster boy for term limits. The arrogance, the ignorance, the condescension, the absolute cluelessness of this elitist boob is just astounding. Washington D.C. is a black hole of intelligence-sucking pompousity.

infidel4life on June 27, 2007 at 10:45 PM

Why should those senators/congressmen feel “threatened” by people mentioning they may vote for someone else? Because it goes to the heart of what they love the most: power and money. Disgraceful. Time to go home and collect your pention, Senator.

p40tiger on June 27, 2007 at 10:49 PM

*pension, sorry

p40tiger on June 27, 2007 at 10:50 PM

Voinovich is the perfect poster boy for term limits.

Actually I was thinking more of a poster boy for a Senior Assisted Living Facility.

TheBigOldDog on June 27, 2007 at 10:57 PM

The Fairness Doctrine failed because we broadcaster didn’t want to air controversial subjects lest we have to give air time to all manner of kooks. The result was we aired only vanilla stuff. The FCC saw that it didn’t serve the original purpose and dropped it. The same thing will happen again.

NewsWonk on June 27, 2007 at 11:00 PM

I really hate how half of Hotair’s media craps out on me before it is complete.

and it’s always on a story I’m interested in.

Oh no, I never have a problem with the Movie Trailers, or the Vent episodes… but in-thread media always freakin cuts out on me.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!

Jones Zemkophill on June 27, 2007 at 11:05 PM

I’ll bet John Ensign (RINO-NV) sounds the same way.

TwinkietheKid on June 27, 2007 at 11:07 PM

I’ve never heard a better argument for term limits.

wordwarp on June 27, 2007 at 11:09 PM

a Senior Assisted Living Facility.

TheBigOldDog on June 27, 2007 at 10:57 PM

That’s exactly what the Senate has become.

infidel4life on June 27, 2007 at 11:11 PM

I have not heard a more cogent reason for term limits than
this pompous blowhard with his, ” forty years of politics “;
and the implied, ” how dare they question me!?!” arrogance!
Senator Hatch followed Voinovich and the difference was
dramatic. Hatch’s discourse was replete with examples of
just how wrong this Bill is for Americans. He had done
his homework on it it seemed. The Senator from Ohio just
slunk away with a feeble ” harumph, ” or two. And, yes,
I agree with earlier comments that he will, indeed, be after
” talk radio ” with his disgusting performance today.

izzatso on June 27, 2007 at 11:13 PM

Voinovich was completely owned by Hannity. Clueless. Like the opening part about the fairness doctrine.

He got his back up about not falling for “intimidation”. Uh, it’s not intimidation when your constituents say they won’t support you…

Voinovich is an arrogant senator who thinks that he should be immune to criticism.

wildcat84 on June 27, 2007 at 11:48 PM

To be fair to Voinovich, Sean Hannity has always had it in for Republicans. Pure ambush radio.
billy on June 27, 2007 at 7:08 PM

Could you back that up, or are you just trolling?

right2bright on June 28, 2007 at 12:03 AM

Sean Hannity has always had it in for Republicans. Pure ambush radio

Asking questions and expecting them to be answered is ambush radio?
austinnelly on June 27, 2007 at 8:39 PM
I’m sorry. I thought “Hannity has always had it in for Republicans” would be a dead giveaway that Iwas being sarcastic.
If you’re an elected Republican, and you can’t handle a Sean Hannity interview, you really need to rethink your approach to politics.

billy on June 28, 2007 at 12:07 AM

A good indication that somebody feels intimidated is their uttering unsolicited proclamations that they aren’t intimidated.

Blacklake on June 28, 2007 at 12:14 AM

wow, (Finally re-loaded properly)

That is disturbing.

the whole “Indignation over having to listen to the opinions of constituants.” is mind blowing.

Moreover, I want Senators to say: “I will vote against any legislation that I am not given the opportunity to read and consider first.”

more so than anything else, the idea that they are making laws without any consideration for what the law actually codifies is mind blowing.

The Fairness doctrine joke was also telling. “Oy Voinovich! Out of touch much?”

Jones Zemkophill on June 28, 2007 at 12:17 AM

Why don’t we send him a note of how we feel about him and his policies.

Why don’t we all send him a note of how we will vote him out of office for his actions.

investwize999 on June 28, 2007 at 12:20 AM

Um, I don’t think it was Bill’s pant leg that Olberdouche was slobbering over.

Agreed. I was trying to keep it clean..:)

austinnelly on June 28, 2007 at 12:25 AM

And this airhead is claiming that he understands a 600-page document better than any of us ever will?

logis on June 28, 2007 at 12:31 AM

What Sean has accomplished is to tick Voinovich off. So he will probably vote yes on cloture tomorrow, out of spite. Sheesh! We can hardly afford that.

captivated_dem on June 28, 2007 at 12:41 AM

Enought about Bills. It’s time for Daves.

- The Cat

MirCat on June 28, 2007 at 12:43 AM

Every Republican in Congress who is copping this attitude about voters who dare to question them and demand that they serve the voters should be sent copies of the Gettysburg Address sent to them en mass-with the phrase “government by the people, of the people, and for the people” highlighted or in bold. And point out that Lincoln was a Republican.

Lancer on June 28, 2007 at 12:56 AM

captivated_dem on June 28, 2007 at 12:41 AM

So … don’t go on the offense if it might piss off your adversary? That’s not how winners fight.

infidel4life on June 28, 2007 at 1:14 AM

This reminds me of that Eddie Murphy movie where he goes to Congress.

2 of the Congressman came out in the hallway saying, “Dd we vote on the amendment?. No, we voted to vote on bringing the amendment to the floor”.

Ladies and gentleman…America’s finest!!!

HarryStar on June 28, 2007 at 1:24 AM

Unbelievable.

ketket on June 28, 2007 at 1:28 AM

WTF dose this guy do with his day?! I know more about both the amnesty bill AND the fairness doctrine; and I’ve been doing IT sh!t all day…..

I’m just….yeah…..

liquidflorian on June 28, 2007 at 4:23 AM

Maybe we could use that Dem tactic of registering in various states and voting AGAINST the guy we don’t need screwing up the nation… It would be worth the trip just to vote against guys like Voinovich, Graham and other traitors. With the influx of illegals, the Dems should be offering seminars on it soon.

Rugged Individual on June 28, 2007 at 5:10 AM

Greetings all HA-ers! It’s my first post!

I’m not a big Hannity fan either, but I was left speechless by Groin-o-vich’s first ignorance and then arrogance.

“…40 years in this business”?? He views politics as his career…his business.

This guy should be a poster-boy for term limits. We need to enforce the vision of the Founding Fathers — serve your country for a set time, then return to your non-political profession. Until we change the term limit laws, we will be at the mercy of incompetents like this.

jcmorris on June 28, 2007 at 5:18 AM

While I don’t like Hannity as much as I used to, I still like him better than most of his peers….

This interview was some of his best work ever. If he can keep this level of debate/interrogation up, He can put me back in the ‘big fan’ category.

LegendHasIt on June 28, 2007 at 6:13 AM

Can’t Ohio Republicans do better? Isn’t there someone who can challenge Voinovich in the primary and win it and then win the general election?

Phil Byler on June 28, 2007 at 6:59 AM

This guy is a senator? He doesn’t even know if an amendment he voted for passed? This is a perfect example our our “democracy in action” – idiots can even serve in public office. Maybe he should have broken down crying.

woodman on June 28, 2007 at 7:22 AM

This is the first time I’ve ever been ashamed to be from Ohio. We have to get this guy out.

TallTim on June 28, 2007 at 7:56 AM

Harry Reid’s brother by a different mother. A member of the Clueless Caucus.

George on June 28, 2007 at 8:02 AM

Somehow, over the past 231 years or so we have created an aristocracy in the country. The Senate, the House, the presidency no longer serves the people. We exist to only serve the royal ones. They travel and live like royalty and we as their subjects must never question their judgements.
Voinovich, is a perfect example of all of this. He thought Hannity was there to entertain him. Oh Sean, do some juggling bit or such. What? You dare question me? How dare ye?
I was never in favor of term limits until now.

hoosierken on June 28, 2007 at 8:04 AM

The so called “Fairness Doctrine” is not about shutting up talk radio, it is about shutting up the people. It is about stopping the people. It is about keeping information from the people so that those in the congress and elsewhere can get away with as much as possible without being bothered by a bunch of “interfering, dumb, backwoods, pickup driving dimwits” that actually think they should have a voice in important decisions about the country! Listening to this obviously very important Senator, he realizes how smart he is and how backwards all the rest of us are! In fact, he has been making these big decisions up there in that big city called Washington for 40 years or more and that alone proves how smart he is and how dumb we are! What important decisions do we ever make?? They’re not important ones like he makes! That is why we need to be quiet and just go back to eatin our corn bread and drinkin our beer, and let these hard important, big, decisions alone to smart Senators like him! Theys all smart Senators up there in that city called Washington! They knows all kinds a things we don’t! They wears nice clothes and eats good food and goes on big trips paid for with bribe,, I mean, paid for with good money! They talks to all kinds a people that would never bother with the likes a simple, dumb folk like us! Theys so smart they even got big ol buildins and big roads and highways all over every place named after dem! We don’t have nothin named after us! that just proves how dumb we are,, so, we need to just sit down and shut up and leave dem smart Senators alone!

JellyToast on June 28, 2007 at 8:04 AM

I listen to Voinovich blather and blunder and blubber on the Hannity radio show last night, and especially noted how he kept bringing up the fact that he was proud of his 40 years in the Senate, and that when it came to his support of the Shamnesty Bill, he wasn’t going to be allow himself to be intimidated by the people who elected him in the first place who were now calling his office to voice their opposition to the bill. Which leads me to wondering, as I hope it has the people of his state wondering, exactly who has this gumby been representing during the 40 years he has been wandering around the halls of the Senate.

pilamaye on June 28, 2007 at 8:10 AM

I’ve lived in southeastern Ohio all my life. I hate to say that even down here, Ohio seems to be turning blue. The result is Strickland, Brown, Kucinich & this barely Republican moron. God help us.

Vaporman87 on June 28, 2007 at 8:11 AM

I’m from Ohio. Did not vote for sonavich. Am thoroughly disgusted.

Whether you like Hannity or not, listen again today, the rage will continue. HerrMorganholtz (hubby) was on hold with the Hannity show yesterday. They are going to call him today. If you notice, they really didn’t take any calls from Ohio yesterday. I believe they were overwhelmed with callers and are saving them for today.

Also, sonavich said the other day, that we need to get out of Iraq NOW! I asked my husband yesterday if sonavich was a Dem, b/c he’s sure acting like one.

The Republican party is truly in trouble.

ritemama on June 28, 2007 at 8:47 AM

Former Senator Voinavich is a moron.

silenced majority on June 28, 2007 at 9:21 AM

Oh irony, thy name is ‘silenced majority’.

But anyways, back to Voinovich…I’m consistently amazed at how bad a Senator he has been relative to his time as Governor. Too bad he didn’t ride off into the sunset after his term was up.

EduardoOTI on June 28, 2007 at 9:34 AM

Oh, and Ohio….I can’t wait to see what you look like with Tiberi/Portman in the Senate and Kasich in the Governor’s chair.

Til then, I shall cover my eyes and pretend I’m not from Ohio.

EduardoOTI on June 28, 2007 at 9:36 AM

Heard it live. Boy is this guy completely clueless or what?

He sounded like Ted Kennedy.

roux on June 28, 2007 at 9:40 AM

The people of Ohio must be so proud.

What a moron.

Oh so proud to be represented by Stephanie Tubbs-Jones, Dennis Kucinich, and George Voinivich.

I really did try to get Ken Blackwell in position to run for president in 2012.

saint kansas on June 28, 2007 at 9:44 AM

From the Columbus Dispatch:

Regarding the storm surrounding Attorney General Alberto Gonzales, I offer President Bush three suggestions:

• Process Gonzales’ resignation.

• Appoint Sen. George V. Voinovich as Gonzales’ successor. There is no question about his integrity, competence or Senate approval.

• Make a deal with Ohio Gov. Ted Strickland about Voinovich’s replacement.

JOHN A. GALBRAITH Maumee

Voinovich is just a tool for businessmen like Galbraith. If anyone’s interested in how the senator is going to vote just call Galbraith’s office.

balderdash on June 28, 2007 at 9:50 AM

When at 6:59 AM this morning, I asked can’t Ohio Republicans do better, I genuinely was and am wondering. I was born in Ohio. I grew up in Ohio. I graduated from high school in Ohio. After law school, I lived in Cincinnati for two years clerking for a U.S. Court of Appeals judge, but after that law clerkship, I got an offer from a New York City firm that I felt I could not refuse and have lived in Manhattan and then on Long Island ever since. There were always elements of the Republican Party in Ohio that were business tools (Mark Hanna never really died) or Country Clubbist, but I don’t recall it being all that way.

Phil Byler on June 28, 2007 at 11:14 AM

I heard this live yesterday and I had to duct tape myself to my chair. I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. But super kudos’ to Sean for just nailing this cry baby piece of crap to the wall. Glenn Beck has been doing the same, and super kudos’ to him too. And to all of us here at Hotair, and throughout the country for calling, faxing, and writing. I’m proud of us!!!!

soulsirkus on June 28, 2007 at 11:23 AM

soulsirkus on June 28, 2007 at 11:25 AM

I love it when politicians get mad like that. More truth manages to seep out of their mouths.

Ortzinator on June 28, 2007 at 11:50 AM

infidel4life :

captivated_dem on June 28, 2007 at 12:41 AM
——————————

infidel4life on June 28, 2007 at 1:14 AM

—————————————–
Listening to the floor vote on cloture this morning, I recieved new understanding when I heard Senator Voinovichs’ No vote on cloture. Per my previous comments, it is clear to me that my thinking is not representative of my conservative aspirations. Thanks for responding to my earlier post and setting me straight.

Captivated_dem

captivated_dem on June 28, 2007 at 11:53 AM

Heard it live too. This idiot is Exhibit A of a point the Sean keeps making, To paraphrase: we need to elect men and women of prinicipal. Conservatives who know what they belive and will stick to their guns no matter what. It’s likely that most pols, conservatives and liberals are conservative or liberal because that is what would get them elected. Witness Mitt’s campaign against Kennedy for Senate when he was trying to out-lib Kennedy.

Mig on June 28, 2007 at 11:54 AM

The interview with Sean got Voninovich really upset. A more gentle approach would have left the Senator (yes really he’s a Senator) comfortable with the bill.

That was a good time for an adversial relationship.

And for the Senators who called me a hater, Nazi, and not a real American this morning, an adversial relationship is what you bought.

TunaTalon on June 28, 2007 at 12:00 PM