Video: Coulter jokes, sort of, about jihadis killing John Edwards; Update: Edwards’s wife confronts Coulter on “Hardball” (bumped)

posted at 6:50 pm on June 26, 2007 by Allahpundit

…as a way of making a point about left-wing hypocrisy. We’re not exactly famous for defending AC around here but she’s getting a bad rap on this clip, which comes from this morning’s GMA by way of Edwards’s campaign. As noted yesterday, Silky’s desperate for an attack from the right which he can turn into one of his patented shameless fundraising gimmicks. Coulter almost, but not quite, delivered this morning — but thanks to the magic of video editing software, they were able to clip just enough out of context to stir up the nutroots hornet nest and milk a few more donations.

You’ll have to read Newsbusters for the full transcript, to see what point she was trying to make. Those with long memories will already know. Thanks to Weasel Zippers for the tip.

Update: Coulter seemed a little nervous here, didn’t she?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Jihadists hate faggots like John Edwards. [Hot Air]
Wonkette trackbacks this post with that title.
Geeze, any of their readers who don’t come here to see the clips or read Allah’s commentary or our comments would think 1) Hot Air is Jihadist? 2) Hot Air hates faggots? 3) John Edwards is a faggot?
Wonkette has obviously been taking composition lessons from the sock puppet master.

PattyAnn on June 26, 2007 at 8:42 PM

Both of the Edwards’ are extremely thin skinned. This certainly didn’t make Mrs. Edwards look good. Just whiny. Compare this with the classy way in which Mrs. Bush has handled all the criticism of the President.

Rose on June 26, 2007 at 8:43 PM

Edgy.

Ann Should have started singing “I feel pretty”, you remember, John Edwards campaign song…

Zorro on June 26, 2007 at 8:45 PM

Did we all just find out first hand who wears the pants in the Edwards home?

Now I have the mental image of silky pony prancing around in a pink tu tu and leotards singing “I feel pretty “.

Mojack420 on June 26, 2007 at 8:49 PM

Matthews set Ann up on this one and as usual he didn’t want Ann to reply but she came out with both barrels. I enjoy it when a lib trys to twist things around and get pounded for doing it and wonder why. Give it to them Ann, anytime you can , which is very easy.

bones47 on June 26, 2007 at 9:05 PM

1. Ann should have let her finish before she responded.

2. Ann totally beat her down with the red herring about Silky’s legal antics

3. #2 would have been more effective with #1

Metro on June 26, 2007 at 9:05 PM

Pretty cute of the Edwards campaign to completely edit out the context of Ann’s comment. I’m sure they were equally outraged at the Maher incident she referenced (cough).

And the crowd member who asked why John Edwards wasn’t the one making the call is my new best friend.

krispy on June 26, 2007 at 9:06 PM

Okay.
So many of you have confessed your love for Annie.
So why haven’t any of you proposed marriage?
You’re not scared (or anything), are you?

My collie says:

I haven’t tried to mate with a pit-bull, either.

CyberCipher on June 26, 2007 at 9:06 PM

I have some sixth sense of when to watch Hardball it seems. Before tonight, the last time I watched was when Zell Miller challenged Chris to a dual…

Ann had a bunch of supporters behind her. Chris kept referring to them in the most derogatory terms even liking them to people from the movie deliverance.

Then he tried to sandbag Ann with Edwards over a comment she never made. Ann had no idea what he was talking about. Now I know why. What a POS he is.

TheBigOldDog on June 26, 2007 at 9:07 PM

God, I love this woman and her utter contempt for liberalism. Nevermind the F-word comment – she’s already decimated Edwards in writing simply by citing the many examples where he has demonstrated what he is: a pandering, oppurtunistic tort lawyer (did I mention shameless?) who is grossly unqualified to be a political leader in this country.
The fact that she joked, in effect, that he’s a flaming Metro was merely anectdotal…

Dork B. on June 26, 2007 at 9:14 PM

From the pieces I’ve seen with Ann, I’m pretty sure the “running hands through the hair” is more of an unconscious gesture that’s done no matter what. Or it could just mean she’s listening closely and forming her reply. I would love to see her in an actual court case (since she is/was a lawyer) or a Lincoln-Douglas style debate. I think that is when she’d really be in her element. But amid all the language theatrics, there is always a point, which is why it’s always so powerful.

apostle26 on June 26, 2007 at 9:20 PM

Both of the Edwards’ are extremely thin skinned.

They’re not thin-skinned, they’re opportunistic media whores.

BacaDog on June 26, 2007 at 9:21 PM

Update: Coulter seemed a little nervous here, didn’t she?

She was sandbagged by a call she had no idea was coming, over a comment she did not make, she had no idea what they were talking about and being constantly interrupted by Chrissy while sitting in the heat. What do you expect?

Chrissy is one of those cowards who likes to verbally beat up on women. It gives him a sense of power and superiority. As we all know, this isn’t the first time he’s done it. He’ll fit right in under the new caliphate.

TheBigOldDog on June 26, 2007 at 9:21 PM

Elizabeth Edwards should be proud, Annie even acknowledges li’l johnny’s existence.

franksalterego on June 26, 2007 at 9:23 PM

Yes, you are. Edwards has about 3-5 years to live.

Blake on June 26, 2007 at 8:14 PM

Are you an oncologist? My (few) brushes with this field of medicine lead me to understand that the illness is measured in terms of the five-year survival rate, based on current condition.

Three-to-five years to live seems like an opinion. Where’d you get it from?

PS This is OT, big-time, and utterly beside the point. Just curious.

Jaibones on June 26, 2007 at 9:29 PM

Jaibones, that’s from diagnosis. Assuming we’ve been told the truth about her disease, she’s got a recurrence and metastasis, both of which are working against her making the far end of the curve. Her odds suck, really.

Pablo on June 26, 2007 at 9:38 PM

The Edwards’ are tragedy pimps. Kerry spoke about Jon’s usage of his deceased son to garner sympathy? support? Mrs. Edwards reminds me of the mom who would call the principal when someone made fun of her son. Will she be making the call to foreign diplomats as well?

jeffNWV on June 26, 2007 at 9:40 PM

I wonder if Pretty Boy would have his wife call world leaders that don’t like him?

What a pantie wearing, metro-sexual, fop…..
…..and his wife isn’t the brightest bulb in the box. Tossing her up against Anne just shows he’s willing to sacrifice anything or anybody.

Hening on June 26, 2007 at 10:11 PM

I think Ann crushed Elizabeth Edwards tastefully.

Baphomet on June 26, 2007 at 10:15 PM

Edwards: “We don’t hang around with the same people.”

Coulter: “I don’t have enough money…”

Brilliant!

jaleach on June 26, 2007 at 10:20 PM

When Silky and Elizabeth were on with Leno last night she even did most of the talking there. The guy is afraid of his own shadow. Leno didn’t ask anything tough and he still got defensive.
What a crock Matthews is. Would have loved to see the other side of that phone call. You know Johnny was there crying, she pick3ed on me get her, get her honey.
This one wasn’t close. Wonder how they’ll make money of a clip from this.

PowWow on June 26, 2007 at 10:24 PM

Oh please! Boo, Hoo!

sophiesmom on June 26, 2007 at 10:29 PM

I don’t know what clip you were watching, but Ann hardly seemed “nervous.” As your clip from GMA proves, Ann did not advocate the killing of Mrs. Edwards husband as she claims — Mrs. Edwards did not “call in” to ask Ann Coulter a question. She called in to make an insipid little speech that the left leaning viewers of Hardball would eat up. And Ann showed her (and her husband) for the disingenuous, money-grubbing whore she is — if Elizabeth Edwards and her husband are so put off by Ann’s words, why do they continue to run them on his website? Well, as Ann pointed out rather deftly, it’s to make money. These people are so disgusting and for all their money have zero class — Ann Coulter is the one individual who will call them out on it to their faces. Bravo, Ann… your words may be harsh times, but they speak the truth.

D2Boston on June 26, 2007 at 10:48 PM

I find that ann does not come off well in person. She lacks charm and grace and wit and resorts to “ah, um” way too much. She needs to take lessons from the likes of William F Buckley, Hitchens, or some other pundit who does not need to anxiously play with her hair when she learns a hostile caller is about to come on, one who does not get visibly defensive, or laugh and scoff nervously.

Her politics are on the money, I think we can agree with that, but her delivery, mannerism, demeanor and debating skills are amateur.

jihadwatcher on June 26, 2007 at 10:51 PM

I couldn’t see or hear the clip until I got home (work blocks YouTube).

Once I heard the clip, I was shocked at what a pathetic loser John Edward’s wife is and by extension what a loser he is.

The only one more pathetic was Tweety.

JayHaw Phrenzie on June 26, 2007 at 10:54 PM

“Why isn’t Edwards making the call?” Because Coulter has to be nice to his wife who suffers from cancer. End of story. There is clearly nothing else to it. Edwards is a phony and a bi***, which is why he couldn’t make the call. But he wouldn’t have wanted to make the call in the first place. It’s all part of their campaign, nothing more. The call was just a campaign stunt, and the wife had to make it because she’s a sympathetic figure. If Coulter had attacked her, then that would be their next fund raising gimmick – “Coulter attacks innocent cancer patient”

RightWinged on June 26, 2007 at 11:05 PM

jihadwatcher on June 26, 2007 at 10:51 PM

Where will you be appearing so we can see how it should be done?

TheBigOldDog on June 26, 2007 at 11:07 PM

RightWinged on June 26, 2007 at 11:05 PM

I agree. This was totally staged and HAD to be a setup for Ann. Edwards is such a total puss, and frankly, he would have the b@lls or the intelligence to stand up to Ann.

thedecider on June 26, 2007 at 11:29 PM

I didn’t think she appeared nervous. As far as Elizabeth, what a shameful ploy. There is no bar low enough for them to not sink to.

Glynn on June 26, 2007 at 11:42 PM

I wish she would stop playing with her hair. Conservatives should make the most of the fact that he’s sending his terminally ill wife to start a cat fight. Pathetic.

frreal on June 27, 2007 at 12:01 AM

I found Coulter’s arguments in the video the worse arguments I remember Ann making since her silly attacks on evolution in her latest book. Let’s review the facts. Elizabeth was asking that Ann refrain from a certain type of argument in her books, because according to Elizabeth they don’t elevate public discourse. Ann could make less personal arguments. Ann could tone down her act. But should Ann do so? No, Ann shouldn’t, because Ann’s statement’s improve public discourse by making politics fun. Ann should defend herself by saying many readers find her books and statements enjoyable! It’s not like one has to agree with Ann to find her statements enjoyable. I’m a gay, pro-abortion, rabidly secular environmentalist and I love Ann. So, we disagree on some issues. It’s no big deal.

The right response to Ann by Edwards and others has always been to fight back with humor and logic. Ann is vulnerable for her homo sapien fetal idolatry, her blatant disregard of environmental facts which crescendo in her attack on evolution, and so forth. I’m willing to mock Ann on such grounds. Let Elizabeth Edwards do so, rather than engage in self-righteous whining. Even if Elizabeth is a dhimmi, she should sound less Islamic in her desire to oppress speech she finds obnoxious.

thuja on June 27, 2007 at 12:14 AM

Both Rush and Ann are regularly attacked, not because of the content of their statements, but because they are very effective in pointing out the major flaws of liberals, and it always seems that the loudest complainers are those who neither listen to or read either of these famously successful conservatives.

Cluelessness is the prerequisite of American liberalism.

DannoJyd on June 27, 2007 at 12:20 AM

OMG that was so sickening of Elizabeth Edwards to act like the patient long suffering saint…that whole thing smacked of insincerity and I have absolutely no sympathy for her or silky pony…it was so obvious that she and Matthews set up Ann…that was disgusting…they still didn’t get the best of her…I love Ann and will continue to buy every book she writes…in hardback too!

CCRWM on June 27, 2007 at 12:21 AM

Why confront them at all?

amerpundit on June 26, 2007 at 7:08 PM

for the fun of it

So why haven’t any of you proposed marriage?

‘couse I don’t know her cell #

He’ll fit right in under the new caliphate.

no, he’d be the first victim of a rape-room

urbancenturion on June 27, 2007 at 12:24 AM

Ann Coulter, what a Fox! Beautiful, smart, no-nonse, common sense – makes me wish she really is the Vice President!

omegaram on June 27, 2007 at 12:33 AM

Philibuster-queen goes on, and on, and on…I would have been uncomfortable too. On top of it Chrissie “let her speak Ann, let her finish”. When? There seemed no end to it. Then he proceeds to try to cut Ann off. Best part – NO. She’s really too nice for them – cojones just for showing up.

Entelechy on June 27, 2007 at 12:49 AM

Ann really doesn’t have a clue does she?

The Ugly American on June 27, 2007 at 1:02 AM

…that said, a candidate’s wife calling up a known political bomb-thrower demanding she play nice…WTF???

Theatre of the Absurd.

The Ugly American on June 27, 2007 at 1:04 AM

I made a video to express my reaction to Elizabeth Edwards:

I have still never forgotten Edwards, and Kerry, trying to use Dick Cheney’s daughter against him.

Nate A. on June 27, 2007 at 2:41 AM

But it’s ok to make “jokes” about killing President Bush, Vice President Cheney, Hitler meant well, …

hadsil on June 27, 2007 at 4:56 AM

Thuja, your entire comment supports the accurate perceptions that liberals are elitist and lack humor. It’s very nice of someone so enlightened as you to allow someone like Ann Coulter to have a place at the table. I’m sure she is grateful.

peacenprosperity on June 27, 2007 at 6:34 AM

Ann is extremely intelligent and media savvy, and there’s no way she didn’t know they were going to edit that latest comment and get her all over the front page. I do think there are much better ways to make her point. On the other hand, would so many have heard the point if she didn’t say it the way she did?

Anyway, I think she handled herself brilliantly here – and won – in what for anyone else would be a (by design, thanks to scumball Chris) no-win situation.

inviolet on June 27, 2007 at 7:20 AM

Ann Coulter – Doing the job that American conservatives won’t do…

sabbott on June 27, 2007 at 8:21 AM

Democrats have their WIVES call in to confront Ann Coulter…and they want to legislate talk radio but they want us to believe they will be courageous when it comes to fighting evil like Osama or Iran, Syria, Hamas, Russia etc.! I don’t believe them for some reason…

sabbott on June 27, 2007 at 8:24 AM

How long before a mailer goes out by the Edwards campaign taking advantage of Ann’s “vicious” personal attacks on John and Elizabeth?

saltydogg14 on June 27, 2007 at 8:42 AM

thuja on June 27, 2007 at 12:14 AM

Silly attacks on evolution? Pointing out the complete misrepresentation (or outright faking of results) of “scientific” experiments is silly? Don’t get me wrong I’m not one to say that the earth is 6000 years old. In fact, I believe evolution is a viable theory, but there are still a lot of wholes in it. That is why it is still called a theory. Concrete proof is not available at this time. But it is being taught as absolute, with no other theories even mentioned. She is merely trying to present intelligent design as another viable theory. And btw, intelligent design and creationism are the same thing.

As for people not liking Ann, she is not a bomb thrower. She takes liberals words and uses them to show their hypocrisy (just like Rush, eg Barack the Magic Negro, which originated from a liberal LA Times columnist and Joe Biden’s comments about the cleanliness of blacks). Her faggot comment, while not in the best taste at a conservative, somewhat family event, was about Isaiah Washington having to go to rehab for saying the word, which is more of a comment on people blaming alcohol or drugs for their actions. I personally don’t think name calling really gets anywhere, but she is effective in getting liberals’ blood to boil. As for her comment about wishing death on John Edwards, it did not happen. Read the transcript. She was pointing out the fact that she gets tarred and feathered for saying faggot, but Bill Maher gets a pass for wishing death on a sitting vice president. For some reason I thought the latter was a crime. I guess you actually have to talk about doing it yourself. She was merely pointing out that to avoid criticism she should just do the same when talking about Edwards. But she knows just as well as most people on this site, that she will never get that pass, strictly because she is a conservative.

pmoshields on June 27, 2007 at 8:55 AM

correction:

intelligent design and creationism are not the same thing

pmoshields on June 27, 2007 at 8:56 AM

What would John Edwards do to combat terrorism, send his wife? Girly-man.

Wade on June 27, 2007 at 9:07 AM

What I really like about Ann is she says what everyone is actually thinking about the Democrats or the Jihadists for that matter what too many are afraid to say, but is true non-the-less. Ann Coulter… always on target. Shoots nothing but bullseye’s.

Dasher on June 27, 2007 at 9:17 AM

I don’t think Ann looked nervous, she looked annoyed. This was clearly a set up by Matthews. Had Laura Bush or Lydia Heston called Matthews before a Michael Moore interview and asked to get on the show so she could “politely and southernly” ask Moore to stop attacking their husbands do you think he’d have let them on? Remember how MM was attacked by Matthews on the air when she there to promote “In Defense of Internment”? Does anyone remember why he attacked her? Because Matthews hated the Swiftboat Vets, that’s why. Ann knew she’d been set up and was trying to control her desire to drive Matthews’ face into the deck. I applaud her for her restraint.

Oh, and let’s get this clear now. I made an allusion to Michael Moore but Ann is nothing like Moore, she is honest, intelligent and literate.

srhoades on June 27, 2007 at 9:31 AM

What capacity is Ann within the Republican party? How can we get rid of her? To my knowledge she is an author/commentator/american, so how are we as conservatives supposed to silence her. She has every right to her opinion. Some of you sound like a bunch of libs. I know the libs want her silenced. If liberals felt she was “helping their cause” they would not hate her so much. Anyone that drives liberals crazy is alright in my book. As far as Edwards is concerned, he is a weak coward who I am ashamed to share the same state with. I love Ann, and look foward to her next book.

chief on June 27, 2007 at 9:35 AM

RightWinged on June 26, 2007 at 11:05 PM

Can we wonder as to the media collusion here? If you or I were to call up the program to get through to Chris Matthews, would we even know how to do it? Can we demand that Matthews file a campaign contribution statement for the amount of time he and his producers spent on making sure that Mrs. Edwards would get airtime in the middle of the interview? Plus the value of the broadcast time itself?
Or is the media a PAC – airtime in bulk to any Dem?
ALl the media does is provide opprtunities for the Dems. Do they organize in advance to let Ann Coulter call in when they are interviewing Democrats? Nooo.
Fairness Doctrine – Ann can’t even get through an interview without a freebie rebuttal from the Left.

naliaka on June 27, 2007 at 9:45 AM

I am so tired of mealy-mouths on the right. Damn! I like Annie.
She went to lawyer school, knows what the 1st amendment says, and isn’t afraid to it.

dhimwit on June 27, 2007 at 10:19 AM

its the bait and switch the libs have perfected……talk about free speech while you are trying to quell speech you don’t agree with

pmoshields on June 27, 2007 at 10:30 AM

I really don’t think Ann Coulter helps the conservative cause by acting like that. She needs to frame the debate more eloquently.

msipes on June 27, 2007 at 10:36 AM

Coulter is right. Silky Pony is a joke and he and his wife use the death of their son to promote his candidacy.

roux on June 27, 2007 at 10:45 AM

What’s that, Chris?
Someone who won’t fall for your trap? How dare she!
This is the kind of thing that completely validates what she said in her last book (btw, I am completely in love with the way she writes and her wit).

For everyone else who thinks she’s just a liability; why is it that we conservatives are so eager to eat our own? It’s almost the same as all the Republicans in congress who were always unwilling to stand up for either Bush (when he was proposing actual good laws) or even themselves, or to take it to the Dhimmicrats when they go on these insane rants about how we torture Gitmo detainees, call our President a liar about the war, etc…

Coulter’s style is bombastic, hilarious, and irreverent–if she were a liberal, she would be a superstar. I like her response to a question she got in an interview once:

Q: What’s the difference between when a liberal insults conservatives, and when you insult liberals?

A: The main difference is that our insults are true.

Viewtifulgare on June 27, 2007 at 10:48 AM

msipes on June 27, 2007 at 10:36 AM

Time for you to register at DU. You will find many like minded people there.

JayHaw Phrenzie on June 27, 2007 at 12:26 PM

Can we PLEASE get rid of Ann by now?
She’s become the Michael Moore of our side. And by that, I mean she’s far more useful for the other party than for the party who’s ideals she’s supposedly trumpeting.

Vyce on June 26, 2007 at 4:56 PM

OUR side? Why don’t YOU just leave OUR side…you people who are so quick to throw one of our brightest and most successful advocates over the side based on liberal propaganda really don’t belong on OUR side.

netherman79 on June 27, 2007 at 1:37 PM

Yeah I just saw that on Yahoo too.

What a laugh… sending your cancer-stricken wife to fight for you. The guy is pathetic.

Ryan Gandy on June 27, 2007 at 2:10 PM

You know, every damned day we have more evidence of how unsympathetic and useless the left is.

Of course Ann’s response could have been more eloquent, if she had A) known which deliberate edited distortion of her words Elizabeth was talking about, or B) been willing to play that game.

And given Elizabeth’s political history and what we know of her personal history (from Marcotte to her treatment of her neighbors), her accusations of hate are strictly hypocritical.

And for her to draw not one but TWO “moral authority” cards in one short “ambush” phone call is particularly pathetic.

Personally, if I were in Ann’s position, you wouldn’t have to wonder whether I had let loose with both barrels, because I do NOT tolerate that kind of passive-aggressive manipulation game.

Merovign on June 27, 2007 at 2:37 PM

“I find that ann does not come off well in person. She lacks charm and grace and wit …”

to this and others like it, pay attention to what she says.

Charm might not be her intention when she gets ambushed on national TV. Grace? Sure she does, grace under fire.
Ann is actually BRILLIANT. She is usually so far ahead of the lefties around her that they simply can not keep up in a simple conversation.(She even gets ahead of herself and that can confuse some folks.)
Her memory is tops, her smarts.. way above most, and her wit? Most just don’t comprehend it but she’s scary fast witty.
She’s a unique and strong conservative and she frustrates the crap out of the left, even when they figure out what she really said…if they figure it out.

shooter on June 27, 2007 at 5:16 PM

saltydogg14 on June 27, 2007 at 8:42 AM

I sent an e-mail to Silky asking him to stop being so irresponsible with his “creative editing” of his opponents’ comments. Eight hours later, I got a fundraising mass e-mail from him (ew), and I’m sure you’ll never guess what the subject was.

krispy on June 27, 2007 at 7:27 PM

Ann Coulter is by far my favorite right-wing female commentator. Nobody can touch her, bar none. The right-wingers need to stop being so namby-pamby and start busting family jewels the way she does. Long live Ann!

Lance on June 27, 2007 at 9:28 PM

Here is why I love Ann Coulter:

She is ALWAYS right!

As opposed to Laura Ingraham and other “conservatives” – She has contempt for The Terrorists and their enablers: The Liberals and The Democrats, RATHER than running around having contempt for CONSERVATIVES who disagree, however slightly, with her.

ANN – concentrates on deconstructing the Liberals and The Terrorists and the other Enemies of Freedom RATHER THAN focusing on deconstructing other Conservatives, George Bush and Rudy Guiliani.

God BLESS her!!

grtflmark on June 28, 2007 at 12:16 AM

Here is why I love Ann Coulter:

She is ALWAYS right!

God BLESS her!!

Mostly right, except I’m pretty sure she jumped on the conservative bash Bush movement yesterday, and I’m pretty sure she’s on the record as saying she won’t support a pro-choice candidate (Giuliani).

Patriot33 on June 28, 2007 at 3:14 AM

Since liberals do all the name calling, I guess its not allowed for conservatives. Keep doin’ what you’re doin’ Ann!

hinduconservative on June 28, 2007 at 8:44 AM