Tivo alert: “Banned by PBS: Muslims Against Jihad”; Update: Postponed until Sunday

posted at 11:30 am on June 23, 2007 by Allahpundit

As predicted, PBS’s loss is Fox’s gain. Note: this isn’t “Islam vs. Islamists,” the film PBS originally spiked allegedly because it wasn’t quite “balanced” enough in its treatment of fundamentalists. This is a companion documentary made by the same producers, Frank Gaffney and Martyn Burke. As you’ll see from last night’s interview with Gaffney on H&C, even Fox doesn’t have its facts straight about that. Nor is it straight about the airdate: Lowry gives it as 7 p.m. but according to the website and my own cable guide here, the actual time is 9.

“Islam vs. Islamists,” it turns out, will be shown by by public broadcasting — in Oregon. If tonight’s show does well, no doubt Fox will pick that one up too. According to Gaffney, PBS didn’t even deign to screen tonight’s program before rejecting it.

Here’s our Vent interview with Gaffney about the controversy from last month. The H&C clip is below.

Update: Weak.

Comments

That would be 7 pm Mountain time then…

Can’t wait, for this , and the prequel.

shooter on June 23, 2007 at 11:33 AM

I absolutely cannot stand Alan Colmes. His is a liberal hack who is dishonest and purposefully twists the obvious meaning of facts and statements in such a transparent way that it cannot even be pretended that he has not.

His questions to Netanyahu the other night were appalling.

I don’t think I can catch the documentary tonight, so I hope I can catch it on a repeat.

nailinmyeye on June 23, 2007 at 11:43 AM

The corporation for PUBLIC broadcasting simply is not looking out for the public.

Alan just hates facts. He’s the perfect liberal.

Mojave Mark on June 23, 2007 at 11:44 AM

Thanks Allah, DVR cocked and loaded… now off to the shooting range to take advantage of this beautiful weather.

Zorro on June 23, 2007 at 11:46 AM

If all Muslims went to Mecca, and stayed, wouldn’t this be a nicer world?

(I’m considering penning a sci-fi movie about the builder of a new space-based detector device -who is trying to find a way to uncover smuggled radioactive materials- and he/she accidentally discovers that there is an unusual and powerful unknown kind of radioactive emanation… coming from the Ka’aba, in Mecca. It turns out that the meteorite embedded in the wall of the structure by pre-Mohammedans, and since incongruously considered ‘sacred’ by the followers of Allah, is a stange source of these “K-rays” –infra-gamma gone wild… radiations which subtly dement anyone who has ever been near it, and ayone who comes in contact with such people… thanks to an alien wavelength fused into the metallic rock billions of years ago… all of which explains the kind of violent madness generated by Mecca, and Islam. So the researcher, and a special ops team get together to infiltrate Mecca and replace the toxic meteorite with a hamless facsimile, to see if this will “cure” Muslims of their extraterrestrial posioning by this dismal rock. But, I can just see the faces of agents and producers when they hear the “pitch”…. /:(… any graphic artists out there want to give it a go?)

profitsbeard on June 23, 2007 at 11:56 AM

(I’m considering penning a sci-fi movie about the builder of a new space-based detector device -who is trying to find a way to uncover smuggled radioactive materials- and he/she accidentally discovers that there is an unusual and powerful unknown kind of radioactive emanation… coming from the Ka’aba, in Mecca. It turns out that the meteorite embedded in the wall of the structure by pre-Mohammedans, and since incongruously considered ’sacred’ by the followers of Allah, is a stange source of these “K-rays” -infra-gamma gone wild… radiations which subtly dement anyone who has ever been near it, and ayone who comes in contact with such people… thanks to an alien wavelength fused into the metallic rock billions of years ago… all of which explains the kind of violent madness generated by Mecca, and Islam. So the researcher, and a special ops team get together to infiltrate Mecca and replace the toxic meteorite with a hamless facsimile, to see if this will “cure” Muslims of their extraterrestrial posioning by this dismal rock. But, I can just see the faces of agents and producers when they hear the “pitch”…. /:(… any graphic artists out there want to give it a go?)

Instead of a rock, make it an obelisk like SO 2001.

And show how, the arrival of the oblelisk turned several tribes of highly intelligent, peace loving, cooperating monkeys into vicious, warped, warring factions.

moc23 on June 23, 2007 at 12:16 PM

Alan just hates facts. He’s the perfect liberal.

Mojave Mark on June 23, 2007 at 11:44 AM

He’s the perfect liberal enabler. . .

Texyank on June 23, 2007 at 12:54 PM

Thanks for the reminder AP. It’s 9 PM according to my cable guide here in Boston too.

TheBigOldDog on June 23, 2007 at 1:03 PM

We give PBS tax dollars because….?

Tim Burton on June 23, 2007 at 1:20 PM

moc23 on June 23, 2007 at 12:16 PM

It’s suppose to be Sci-Fi, not a documentary…

doriangrey on June 23, 2007 at 1:25 PM

That would be 7 pm Mountain time then…

shooter on June 23, 2007 at 11:33 AM

And my cable guide here on the left coast confirms it at 6pm

infidel4life on June 23, 2007 at 1:44 PM

I absolutely cannot stand Alan Colmes.
nailinmyeye on June 23, 2007 at 11:43 AM

You and me both. Add the mustachioed geraldioed to that list.

CrimsonFisted on June 23, 2007 at 2:00 PM

liberals mascot is no longer a jackass, its an Ostrich

jp on June 23, 2007 at 3:00 PM

Is it just me, or is Colmes becoming more and more of a tool?
He’s always been a deluded liberal, but he wasn’t always such a jerk about it.
Watch the clip again, he basically just calls Gaffney a liar right off and leaves it at that.
This is his new interviewing “technique”: You’re a conservative so you must be lying.
He used to at least try to score a decent point.

billy on June 23, 2007 at 5:30 PM

If H and C could just get rid of Colmes, they would have even better ratings.

Vanquisher on June 23, 2007 at 5:55 PM

The Ultimate fighter finale is on tonight…who cares

tomas on June 23, 2007 at 6:34 PM

So why doesn’t PBS want not air criticism of Islam, even by Muslims? One can only conclude that PBS objects to critical analysis of this misogynistic, barbaric, ignorant, America hating, racist,and frankly dangerous “religion” because it feels that Islam is just fine from the multi-cultural perspective. Now that is strange.

pat on June 23, 2007 at 6:45 PM

Billy
“Is it just me, or is Colmes becoming more and more of a tool?”

No it is not just you. Both Colmes and Juan Williams have become increasingly deceptive and delusional. I have caught Juan Williams in two major lies recently. Colmes has become a compulsive liar and filibusterer.

pat on June 23, 2007 at 6:48 PM

The Ultimate fighter finale is on tonight…who cares

tomas on June 23, 2007 at 6:34 PM

Congratulations on the dumbest post of the month.

infidel4life on June 23, 2007 at 6:53 PM

…hmmm…dry documentary…UFC…dry documentary…UFC…dry documentary…UFC…

UFC.

fusionaddict on June 23, 2007 at 7:22 PM

moc23-

Copyright problems with Arthur C. Clark might prevent that.

(And “Also Sprach Zarathustra” would have to be turned to Jimi Hendrix’s “Midnight” for this bunch of baboons.)

profitsbeard on June 23, 2007 at 8:14 PM

weak is right AllahPundit. I guess we wait now…..

rslancer14 on June 23, 2007 at 9:02 PM

Update: Weak.

WTF? And Geraldo instead? *gag*

UFC it is then.

infidel4life on June 23, 2007 at 9:09 PM

It was stopped because the body of the missing Ohio woman has been found.

amerpundit on June 23, 2007 at 9:13 PM

Oh brother…Geral-dho! babbling stupid, stupid questions at the family and friends of this girl. “How do you feel?” and “Is this a nightmare for you?”

Or is it that FOX may be getting some cold feet about airing this program?

“Weak” indeed…

JetBoy on June 23, 2007 at 9:15 PM

what a CROCK !!!!!!!!!!!!!
I turned on my tivo, and to my horror, I had recorded 15 minutes of the POS GERALDO and a murder.
Seriously tho , Why is this one so important? Do you know how many grieving families tonight wish they had 5 minutes of coverage to find a lost loved one?
Why TF do they do this?

shooter on June 23, 2007 at 9:19 PM

So is it the sex/murder/race case du jour that’s more important than the global jihad, or is it Geraldo?

RedWinged Blackbird on June 23, 2007 at 9:19 PM

shooter on June 23, 2007 at 9:19 PM

He also killed the unborn baby.

amerpundit on June 23, 2007 at 9:20 PM

It’s not like the film’s not going to be shown. It’s going to be shown on Sunday night – tomorrow. Besides, Sunday at 9pm will most likely bring in more viewers.

amerpundit on June 23, 2007 at 9:21 PM

It’s Bush’s fault

tomas on June 23, 2007 at 9:24 PM

Tivo did not help. Geraldo seemed to think it was more important to spend another hour flogging the death of that poor pregnant lady.

donsingleton on June 23, 2007 at 9:26 PM

Better they postpone it otherwise, nobody would have seen it. 99% of the general public, who are the people who need to be educated by the documentary, are more interested in the story of an active duty police officer who murdered, in cold blood, his girlfriend in front of his 2 year old son and then left him to fend for himself for over a day.

TheBigOldDog on June 23, 2007 at 9:28 PM

TheBigOldDog on June 23, 2007 at 9:28 PM

Well, that 99% figure is highly debatable.

But (IMO) those that are more interested in this sensationalistic crap are the same people who would have serious trouble even comprehending an important documentary on Islam with anything other than a blank stare.

infidel4life on June 23, 2007 at 10:12 PM

I question the timing……….

and yes, Something needs to be Done about Colmes / Skeletor

Isn’t Kevorkian out of the slammer now, and available to Do What Must Be Done?

Janos Hunyadi on June 23, 2007 at 10:15 PM

I understand y’alls disappointment here, but come on. The murder of a 9 month pregnant woman is actually news – it has been news for a week, and since they found the body, it would be breaking news.

I don’t like Geraldo either, but it isn’t like they bumped it for Paris coverage.

nailinmyeye on June 23, 2007 at 10:40 PM

infidel4life on June 23, 2007 at 10:12 PM

Unfortunately, you watching the documentary adds no value – you already know everything they will show. The people who need to see it are the people who don’t. Those are the people who are more interested in this story at the moment. Now, before you go insulting them, you really ought to consider what the goal is. Is it to awaken these people to the threat or is it to reinforce the beliefs of those who already know and understand it? If it’s the former, it’s a good thing they postponed it (and in fact, since they are promoting it during their coverage of this story, they may actually get more viewers who would not have otherwise have seen it). If it’s the later then tonight or tomorrow really makes no difference.

At least Fox has the courage to show these documentaries which is more than can be said for virtually every other major media outlet including PBS.

TheBigOldDog on June 23, 2007 at 10:54 PM

TheBigOldDog on June 23, 2007 at 10:54 PM

I understand your point, and it is well taken. But I have a hard time believing Fox’s motives are so altruistic, considering their proclivity for crime-drama sensationalism.

infidel4life on June 23, 2007 at 11:06 PM

nailinmyeye on June 23, 2007 at 10:40 PM

Agreed.

infidel4life on June 23, 2007 at 11:06 PM

True. Every station’s motives are ratings. I’m sure FOX wouldn’t show this documentary if it they weren’t sure they’d get a set amount of people watching it. But T.V. is a money business, no altruism involved.

Nonfactor on June 23, 2007 at 11:20 PM

Tabloid news always wins out over substance. Yes, I feel sick about the tragedy of that poor victim and all others like her. I understand the number one cause of death among pregnant women is murder. Why doesn’t Geraldo do a story on that instead of seeking an opportunity to grab ratings at the expense of more intelligent, newsworthy subjects? Because he’s a ratings whore like all the other newsmodels breathlessly asking silly, irrelevant questions to a grieving family and every “expert” with an opinion.

thedecider on June 23, 2007 at 11:25 PM

Off Topic: History Channel Australia is going to air the second Protocols of the Elders of Zion (a.k.a. Loose Change). Contact data at the link. Let’s see if we can get them to postpone this indefinetly. Let everyone know to email them at their feedback site. I’m pretty sure this is a subsidiary of the American channel so let corporate know how sick this is.

No foul language please.

The Apologist on June 23, 2007 at 11:26 PM

Tabloid news? Seriously?

Am I the only one (and Nonfactor), that finds a 9 month pregnant woman missing for the past week, and then her body found, and the prime suspect arrested, news?

A 2-hour Geraldo special over the top? Maybe. I guess I just don’t understand people’s outrage over this. Every station was going to cover this tonight. Most likely because it is a legitimate, and widespread, news story. But, ok. Whatever. Let’s cry about having to wait another 24 hours to see a documentary that half of us weren’t going to watch anyway.

nailinmyeye on June 24, 2007 at 12:07 AM

It’s a shame the only non-liberal TV news outfit available chooses to devote the bulk of its airtime to crap. I know Fox is a business, and I know these decisions have to do with ratings, and I agree that it’s better than nothing. But crap is crap.

It would be genuinely wonderful to have conservative analogues to, say, the BBC or NPR, or even CNN (not that the latter’s above slouching into the ratings gutter at times). Image how nice that would be: editorially conservative coverage that actually takes the news seriously.

Blacklake on June 24, 2007 at 12:10 AM

God, how I hate tabloid journalism!

People die every day. People are murdered every day. It’s sad, it really is, but it’s NOT NEWS. Why?

BECAUSE IT HAPPENS EVERY DAY!

Who eats this stuff up? That’s what I’d like to know. Is it Mr. & Mrs. Trailorpark? Who, damn it?

I thought the world would begin to make sense on a Saturday night after 10pm and a pitcher of margaritas but I was wrong.

Well, my backup plan was to watch “Life in the Undergrowth” narrated by David Attenborough with my kids.

Perhaps I should hit the bong or just accept that I am in but not of this world.

CliffHanger on June 24, 2007 at 12:27 AM

nailinmyeye on June 24, 2007 at 12:07 AM

It’s not that it isn’t news. It’s that Fox gave this story wall-to-wall coverage all day long and then pre-empted an important special to give it even more wall-to-wall coverage. It’s like Top 40 radio playing the same songs over and over until you’re sick to death of them.

infidel4life on June 24, 2007 at 12:31 AM

Update: Weak.

Weak? How dare you! This week’s “Laci Peterson”‘s body has been found and you think it’s less important than educating the public on radical Islam?!

RightWinged on June 24, 2007 at 1:02 AM

The story, is not the murder, but the coverage. Imagine all day and all night coverage of a black killing a white!
Usually this sort of story recieves no coverage at all, unless its a former NFL running back turned rental car pitchman turned actor murdering an ex-wife and her current beau.

Still it was very lame to have geraldo announce at the 59 minute mark that they were giving another hour to the story that had been covered all day.

CBP

…the will of the masses is divided by far-reaching distortions and the mass mind is corrupted by a knowledge worse than ignorance because it is false.
Ely Culbertson

colorfulbeachpersona on June 24, 2007 at 1:04 AM

He also killed the unborn baby.

amerpundit on June 23, 2007 at 9:20 PM
Planned parenthood kills one every 30 seconds, is that news?

CBP

colorfulbeachpersona on June 24, 2007 at 1:07 AM

I hate how FNC covers this shit so often. Anna Nicole, Paris Hilton, etc. etc. etc. leave this stuff to Court TV and Greta, and that’s it. Fox News is way too light on the news now, and it’s if not more distressing that they do it because it sells.

Patriot33 on June 24, 2007 at 1:55 AM

FNC just promo’d the program for tonight, Sunday Night, hosted by E. D. Hill. Be there, Aloha.

Zorro on June 24, 2007 at 7:16 AM

Colmes = Mullahs waterboy.

Viper1 on June 24, 2007 at 10:08 AM

Colmes has become a compulsive liar and filibusterer.
pat on June 23, 2007 at 6:48 PM

Alan “Skeletor” Colmes seems to have developed a signature pattern of interrupting and speaking over the opposition’s point just as they get to the most important sentence.

It is particularly noticeable when Dick Morris is on because Morris appears regularly and has developed a counter-strategy that makes it more apparent. Where other guests’ points get garbled over, lose their momentum and ultimately their punchline, Morris is more adept and will continue by repeating his entire “speech” right up to and including the trampled punchline again (if not to a frustrated Colmes then in the Hannity “rebuttal” segment).

O’Reilly used to do the same thing in his weekly segments with Dennis Miller, allowing Miller to lay the groundwork for his joke only to interrrupt & step on Miller’s punchlines. After viewers’ email made O’Reilly aware, he got better and Miller got his laughs.

Do H & C ever have viewer email on their show? It probably wouldn’t matter because Alan has risen to the level of a Sear’s Craftsman tool: GUARANTEED FOR LIFE.

NightmareOnKStreet on June 24, 2007 at 11:29 AM

So. Perhaps y’all could enlighten me here. What is the purpose of this film? For years, Gaffney has said that it is important to separate moderates from radicals; to give moderates a voice. But will this effort do more to marginalize radicals or will it create sympathy for Muslims who are moderate because they don’t feel like putting forth the effort to kill us, but would rather convert by persuasion?

And then what? We all become Sufis and join NGOs?

Connie on June 24, 2007 at 12:22 PM

could someone post the time it will be shown, please

mimi on June 24, 2007 at 12:26 PM

Sunday Night, Fox News Channel, 9:00 PM Eastern.

Zorro on June 24, 2007 at 1:13 PM

I can’t believe they preempted this for wall-to-wall CourtTV, that’s getting old. I had to delete what I thought was the documentary I DVRed last night and have now reset it to record tonight. Thanks for the heads up, AP.

CP on June 24, 2007 at 2:47 PM

infidel4life on June 24, 2007 at 12:31 AM

I get it. I didn’t understand that they had been covering all day, I thought it was breaking, as in just happened. But still, I think it is pretty lame how people in this thread are equating the story with Paris, or Anna Nicole. I just don’t think it is the same.

Maybe I’m too sensitive…I don’t know.

nailinmyeye on June 24, 2007 at 3:10 PM

I wonder when Fox is going to get around to covering these stories? These all from Atlanta this weekend.

Search Ongoing for Missing DispatcherSun Jun 24, 12:00 PM ET
Toddler Safe After KidnappingSat Jun 23, 11:15 PM ET
Two DeKalb Co. Women Found DeadSat Jun 23, 8:00 PM ET

LakeRuins on June 24, 2007 at 4:14 PM

3AM??

Was asleep, I thought they might show it at a decent time on sunday, but no. And, this should be in prime time, not the 3AM slot on a satnight/sun AM where most people are sleeping, or going out.

pabo on June 24, 2007 at 8:51 PM

On now…

middleroad on June 24, 2007 at 9:01 PM

Anyone watching?

nailinmyeye on June 24, 2007 at 9:02 PM

Watching ,and boy the Islamist sure aren’t shy about telling you what they want and how they will go about achieving their goals. They are using our rights and freedoms to recruit and attack us in the hopes of instituting an Islamic state in which these sort of rights and freedoms will promptly crushed.
E D Hill has the movie producers on also.

LakeRuins on June 24, 2007 at 9:10 PM

I’m watching…that chick bugs.

Tru2my2 on June 24, 2007 at 9:10 PM

Yes. Moderate Muslims could solve the jihadist problem by leaving Islam en masse.

Connie on June 24, 2007 at 9:11 PM

Connie on June 24, 2007 at 9:11 PM

Easier said than done. That’s an automatic death sentence.

infidel4life on June 24, 2007 at 9:14 PM

Anyone watching?

nailinmyeye on June 24, 2007 at 9:02 PM

I’m still too disgusted over last night’s horse crap to watch anything on FNC. I’ve got the DVR recording it for viewing at a later date.

MrC_5150 on June 24, 2007 at 9:18 PM

MrC_5150 on June 24, 2007 at 9:18 PM

Sweet.

Its pretty good. Though I can’t say I really like Fox’s presentation, with E.D. Hill introducing and concluding segments. I would prefer they show the whole thing, and then interview the makers. But, it seems pretty good on the whole so far.

nailinmyeye on June 24, 2007 at 9:22 PM

It’s better than I thought it would be… E.D. is a good hostess..

Zorro on June 24, 2007 at 9:46 PM

Fatah and Hamass are going to join forces – they demand to be called FATASS.

KCtheKat on June 24, 2007 at 9:58 PM

I think you have to deal with them as pariahs. They have to teach without these people in mind…as if these people don’t exist. Start over from scratch basically.

tomas on June 24, 2007 at 9:59 PM

Moderate Muslims could solve the jihadist problem by leaving Islam en masse.

Which is about as realistic as believing in Communism. Perhaps something to think about before some of those on this board kick moderate Muslims in the teeth for trying.

BillINDC on June 24, 2007 at 10:09 PM

Easier said than done. That’s an automatic death sentence.

infidel4life on June 24, 2007 at 9:14 PM

Not in the West. Not in Canada. Not in the U.S.

Connie on June 24, 2007 at 10:32 PM

Not in the West. Not in Canada. Not in the U.S.

Not yet.

nailinmyeye on June 24, 2007 at 10:35 PM

Which is about as realistic as believing in Communism.

Would you care to explain this statement? No one, btw, is kicking moderates in the teeth. As a general rule of thumb, I do not go after Muslims. I do, however, go after Islam. There is a difference.

Connie on June 24, 2007 at 10:36 PM

Yes in the West. Honor killings are sharply on the rise in the West.

infidel4life on June 24, 2007 at 10:36 PM

Yes in the West. Honor killings are sharply on the rise in the West.

infidel4life on June 24, 2007 at 10:36 PM

Only because Islam is on the rise in the West.

Connie on June 24, 2007 at 10:47 PM

Connie on June 24, 2007 at 10:47 PM

Rosie, is that you?

infidel4life on June 24, 2007 at 11:45 PM

If all the good moderate Christians left Christianity would it fix the Phelps Clan up in Kansas? Would they stop spewing hate in the name of Christ? Nope, they would just become the only voice of Christianity and would dominate the religion.

I liked the show. Yeah you knew from the “Banned by PBS” title that a good portion would be about the pro Islamist PBS bias but there was enough of the actual content. E. D. is a good host and it was presented fairly IMHO.

I think the most important thing in the entire show was the Islamist who stated that in order to defeat them we would have to give up our freedom of speech and religion and if we did that they would win anyway (paraphrased terribly I know). That is the entire problem in a nutshell.

Buzzy on June 25, 2007 at 12:30 AM

In PBS’s twisted little Commie world, “fundamentalists” is another word for “freedom fighters”…what an evil pathetic group at PBS.

lynnv on June 25, 2007 at 7:57 AM

Buzzy:
Of course there’s an alternate way to defeat the Islamic extremists. We can use military force to set up a free democracy in the middle east. If the majority of Muslims are moderates who just want to have a family (as is likely) all they need is some military help to protect them from the extremists while they establish democracy.

So what we should do is pick a country where the vast majority hates their leader, invade, and work to establish a democracy. It would be good if it were right in the center, geographically, ideally next to both Iran and Syria. It would help if they had oil to fund the new democracy, though of course it’s possible a few extremists here in America would accuse us of doing it just for oil.

Too bad no such country exists, because that would really be the ideal long-term strategy for defeating Islamic fascists and establishing a peaceful, prosperous Middle East.

Jason

Jason on June 25, 2007 at 8:17 AM

First, I recommend that PBS change their name to PMS.

To NOT air these films is very irresponsible on their part and suggests to me whose side they favor. To insist that Frank Gaffney be dropped from the film staff simply because he is a conservative tells me a lot.

I am glad that E.D. hosted this special and that she aired the film. It is quite telling and we all need to pay close attention to this stuff.

The False Dervish on June 25, 2007 at 8:17 AM

Nothing new here as far as the documentary goes. The real story is PBS.

RedWinged Blackbird on June 25, 2007 at 8:43 AM

Yes, I can’t figure out why it wasn’t allowed to be shown…any ideas?

tomas on June 25, 2007 at 8:58 AM

lynnv on June 25, 2007 at 7:57 AM

With the exception of Christian, and perhaps Jewish fundamentalists.

Has anyone put this up on YouTube yet

mram on June 25, 2007 at 9:42 AM

Watched it, but realized I only recorded the first hour. Doesn’t matter, can’t stand E.D. Hill anyway–she gets on my freakin’ nerves.

robblefarian on June 25, 2007 at 9:47 AM

Buzzy on June 25, 2007 at 12:30 AM

All 4 of them? C’mon. There’s no comparison. And the Phelps idiots may be insane, but they only rant.

Connie on June 25, 2007 at 11:26 AM

nailinmyeye on June 23, 2007 at 11:43 AM

Fox needs to do better than this shallow sophist, Alan Colmes.

petefrt on June 25, 2007 at 1:23 PM

The show aired here in Minneapolis on Fox News Sunday night. IMHO the production could not have been more even handed in the presentation. My wife, an avowed liberal, even was appalled that such extemism should emanate from any so-called faith.

MNDavenotPC on June 25, 2007 at 3:04 PM

extremism what a first time faux pas…. sorry!

MNDavenotPC on June 25, 2007 at 3:06 PM

Regarding PBS/NPR/etc. in general:

As a musician, I hate the fact that one can’t seem to give to the arts and promote their dissemination without doing the same for leftist ideology.

I really, really, reeeally hate that the arts have been totally co opted by the liberal feely machine.

I would like to hypothesize that if PBS were forcibly broken up into an arts branch and a news/documentary branch, the latter would wither and die.

Yep: hypothesis, not conjecture; let’s test it, baby.

Mephistefales on June 25, 2007 at 4:49 PM

Connie, if you think there are only 4 people who follow the Phelps clan you haven’t had the sad pleasure of parking your Harley between them and a soldier’s funeral! But you are right in that extremism is not the norm in Christianity while moderate secularism is not the norm in Islam.

As for fighting the Islamist (radical Islam’s followers) I disagree that our fight needs to be in the middle east or even by injecting democracy into the middle east. I believe that radical Islam is a battle which must be fought here at home first and foremost and that some means must be found that allows that battle without attacking our own core values of the right to free speech and freedom of religion.

I know that I felt true heartache when Iraq changed from ridding Iraq of WMDs and turned to the projection of Democracy in a nation where the majority were radical Shi’a with alliances with Iran.

Buzzy on June 25, 2007 at 8:28 PM

I just want to say “Thank you.” From the bottom of my heart. Those whakos tarnish the name of Christ.

I think I know what you mean. It seems like something completely hopeless. Especially under our current ROE.

Deceit and Hatred are the real enemy…but these are a people-and hundreds of millions upon hundreds of millions–who are perfectly willing to believe that Abraham Moses and Jesus were Muslims-because the Koran says it’s so. No matter what physical evidence contradicts it. These are people–again, millions upon millions perfectly willing to teach their children that other human beings are pigs and apes– god hates them–because that’s just the sort of god he is and that the only guaranteed way to paradise is to take as many of them out with you while you fight them to the death.

There seems so little hope of ever finding a way to agree upon even the most basic of truths–let alone TRUTH, because they seem steeped in a culture chock full of some sort of specialized faith in falsehood. (cf. Taqquiya)If anything is ever going to actually change in the Middle East–those mahdrassas are going to have to be changed first and foremost: How could we possibly ever hope to enforce any meaningful sort of abandonment of lies, deceit and evil manipulation–when we’re not allowed to confront the most basic facts about their false prophet and his evil lies–when we can’t even get anywhere here in our own country against the same sort of lying spirits influencing supposed patriotic AMERICANS to lie about their own leaders,(eg Bush=terrorist) our own media attempting to throw elections, our own courts setting pedophiles free and harboring illegal immigrant gang bangers…How can we say (and enforce) “You may not teach your children that Jews are descended from apes and pigs and Israel must be destroyed.”: When we can’t even discourage Newsweek from claiming that Franklin Graham is NO different from Osama bin Laden (don’t know why that particular one just came to mind).

Is it any wonder why so many evangelicals believe we’re in “end times”??

Matt. 23:11-14

“Many false prophets will arise and will mislead many.

“Because lawlessness is increased, most people’s love will grow cold.

“But the one who endures to the end, he will be saved.

“This gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all the nations, and then the end will come.”

Which brings me back to Phelps and his heretic clan…how can so many Chritians be so sure they’re whacko’s? Becuase the very Gospel Jesus referred to was the reconciliation of man to God–the fact that becuase He so loved the world He gave His one and only begotton Son that whomsoever believed in Him might not perish but have everlasting life. (John 3:16) God proved His love for His creation in that while we were yet sinning He sent His Son to die in our place and make it possible for as many as are willing to be reconciled to Himself He loves the whole world and we Christians are supposed to be demonstrating that love.(Rom. 5:8, 1 John 4)

Auralae on June 26, 2007 at 2:51 AM