Video: McCain poses for photos with Truthers

posted at 10:58 am on June 22, 2007 by Allahpundit

Via SLC. I admit to having laughed. Taking a mocking gladhand approach to these turds is a shrewd way to disarm them while goofing on how malignant they are. But it’s a fine line: if he had pulled this with a bunch of Holocaust deniers, say, it would have been dicier. Not sure why, although the fact that Truthers tend to skew young, when their ignorance and gullibility are more easily excused, probably has a lot to do with it. Click the image to watch.

mccain-truth.jpg

Comments

It’s time for the retirement home for McCain…. he needs a very long rest.

shooter on June 22, 2007 at 11:03 AM

Um, no.

saint kansas on June 22, 2007 at 11:04 AM

The people who made that video must actually, legitimately be insane.

Christoph on June 22, 2007 at 11:06 AM

I’m not so sure he ever realized who they were. When he finally did, the second time, he was stuck.

TheBigOldDog on June 22, 2007 at 11:07 AM

And that’s why today’s long distance dedication is “Don’t Stand So Close to Me.”

In retrospect, it was a pretty shrewd move for anyone except a serious candidate for president; which is why in retrospect it was a pretty shrewd move.

Kinda serious question: what do these few “protesters” do together when they’re not protesting? Do they hang out and have fun and talk about non-Michael Moore movies?

saint kansas on June 22, 2007 at 11:09 AM

I’m not so sure he ever realized who they were.

On the contrary, I think he knew each time. I think it was a way to get them to not claim “he ignored us, he’s hiding something” – treating them like buffoons worked pretty well.

lorien1973 on June 22, 2007 at 11:13 AM

I laughed too, Allah…for a solid few minutes.

tickleddragon on June 22, 2007 at 11:20 AM

Typical politician, trying to be something for everybody. He was so eager to be accommodating for them, he didn’t even bother to read their signs. Thanks for your service John. Now retire and let some fresh blood take your place.

Mallard T. Drake on June 22, 2007 at 11:22 AM

Funny

rattrap47 on June 22, 2007 at 11:23 AM

I thought at first, given McCain’s prediliction for choosing policies and positions antithetical to the typical GOP voter, he was trying to drum up support with a energetic new constituency and give the base the finger at the same time. What’s next? A photo op with some Holocaust deniers?

austinnelly on June 22, 2007 at 11:29 AM

They called him SCUM, even after he participated in their stupidity.

abinitioadinfinitum on June 22, 2007 at 11:31 AM

Poor John. I don’t think the guy will ever do anything to demean his service to this country, but any more photo ops with those kooks and he’ll do serious damage to himself.

csdeven on June 22, 2007 at 11:34 AM

Are you kidding me? And this is the guy who wants to lead the free world?

Glad to see that John McCain
Took a photo op with the insane
Because it felt good for his brain
Not realizing these people are vain

This will definitely wreck his campaign
So don’t open that champaign
Because Johnny boy showed great disdain
For all those on 9/11 who were slain

I dedicate this poem as a lasting memory for a once great man who somehow lost his mind.

If anyone takes this man as VP, I will be tempted to vote for Mickey Mouse in 2008.

Darnell Clayton on June 22, 2007 at 11:39 AM

It looks like I misspelled champagne (as Champaign is a city in Illinois).

Now doesn’t that make me look very foolish.

Darnell Clayton on June 22, 2007 at 11:43 AM

These people are flaming nuts and no thinking politician would go anywhere near them. So what if they say he ignored them, that would be a feather in his cap. The current crop of politicos are all sailing off the deep end.

rplat on June 22, 2007 at 11:44 AM

Man, I’ve never seen such cool TruthinessToPower. With people like this pushing the message, you wouldn’t need to push for Bush’s impeachment on any other grounds than his obviously having orchestrated 9-11.

McCain is sunk, but this won’t have anything to do with it.

eeyore on June 22, 2007 at 11:44 AM

I’m stunned with how many people buy into it around the high school age. Stunned. Frankly, on reflection, I think it has something to do with wanting to believe in something anti-authority to create legitimacy in other facets of anti-authority.

Spirit of 1776 on June 22, 2007 at 11:50 AM

Meh. Pols are used to being asked for photo ops all the time.. I don’t think he really knew what they were about until it was too late. It’s a little different than being asked Truthery questions and placating.

Heh. Nicest thing I’ve said about J-Mac in a year. RWS will be all over me.

daveintexas on June 22, 2007 at 11:50 AM

I’m actually a resident of Arizona. I’ve heard from numerous people that they regret voting him back in. He is so out of touch with the people in his state, it’s sad. He should quit while he’s only this far behind.

Tuari on June 22, 2007 at 11:51 AM

I just called McCains Phoenix office and asked his staffer if she knew what a 9/11 truther was. SHE DIDN’T KNOW!!

So I called his DC office and his staffer called me back right away. He was vaguely aware of these crackpots. He went to hotair and then to the vid while I was on the phone. He said he’d let the senator know to watch out for these loons in the future.

csdeven on June 22, 2007 at 11:51 AM

His legs don’t look like he was caught in the middle of trying to escape their looney attentions, so shame on you John.

What’s next, Area 51?

profitsbeard on June 22, 2007 at 12:03 PM

Take my pitcher!
Vote for maw!
911 is a 4 letter word.

Kini on June 22, 2007 at 1:19 PM

There’s nothing funny about this.

The Ugly American on June 22, 2007 at 1:25 PM

I don’t think McCain knew what these people were. If he did, I suppose he was doing what he did in hopes that it would cause a stir in the MSM and get him some much needed ink, as his campaign has been over since it started… but if you watch the video, he doesn’t seem to quite understand what’s going on.

RightWinged on June 22, 2007 at 2:16 PM

I think he figured out who they were during the last photo session, when he stepped forward to look at their signs. Sadly sad but photo ops have gotten better people with worse folks all the time. I’ll excuse him on this one but only because I won’t over ShAmnesty. His campaign and career died the day the McCain / Kennedy grand compromise hit the Senate, he just doesn’t realize it yet.

Buzzy on June 22, 2007 at 2:35 PM

Whatever makes him look worse…makes me feel better.

Tool.

tickleddragon on June 22, 2007 at 2:36 PM

“Hey, c’mon let’s take a picture!” Before he even knows who they are or what they represent. Dopey Senator.

Too bad they weren’t the legalize pot crew, that would have made a nice photo, too.

Alden Pyle on June 22, 2007 at 3:40 PM

Just glad my Govner didn’t get in the picture.

oakpack on June 22, 2007 at 4:03 PM

Which I suppose makes him ultimately qualified to be leader of the free world.

The Ugly American on June 22, 2007 at 7:26 PM

Spirit of 1776 on June 22, 2007 at 11:50 AM

Someone had posted on a previous twoofer thread (can’t remember which one) about why it is some people believe in these ridiculous conspiracy theories, in particular 9-11 being an inside job rather than perpetrated by Islamo-fascists hell bent on killing us and dominating the world.

According to the person posting the blog they posed this very same question to a psychologist and the psychologist said it was a defense mechanism that some people use to cope. Essentially these people find it much too frightening to face the truth of the matter (that there are radical Islamo-fascists that want to destroy us) so instead they create elaborate conspiracies that point to a less threatening entity (our government, etc.) as they don’t believe our government would actually completely destroy them or their country, unlike the true threat, the Islamo-fascists that do want us all dead.

I also believe another aspect of their denialistic coping mechanism has to do with the fact that as this war continues to expand and drags on our government will be forced to reinstitute the draft. A very frightening prospect for the younger generation that will be called upon to fight, a generation that has very little memory of war other than from history.

This coupled with the younger generation being one of the most (if not the most) narcissistic generation having most everything handed to them and have not had to sacrifice for anything (let alone the cause of freedom) are now faced with the prospect that they may be drafted into war, so for them it’s safer to live in a delusional world of a grand conspiracy than to have to face the truth of what is really going on.

Just my opinion….

Liberty or Death on June 22, 2007 at 11:30 PM

How do these guys expect to get to the bottom of the whole Bush/Cheney/Bin Laden/Halliburton conspiracy to fake Sep 11 when they can’t even figure out which button to push on their videocam?

Tantor on June 22, 2007 at 11:56 PM

Tantor on June 22, 2007 at 11:56 PM

Yeah…they’re mental giants, I can tell just by looking at them…lol

Liberty or Death on June 23, 2007 at 3:17 AM