Video: Microsoft’s new coffee-table computer — remixed

posted at 7:55 am on June 21, 2007 by Allahpundit

Huh. When you put it that way, I guess it’s not so awesome.

Comments

ya great, if your a young pretty microsoft type its great. But what about someone like me who has an extremely bad back and screams in pain when leaned over a table like that after only a couple of seconds? It looks good in advertisements for future tech, but it’s not practical as a everyday thing, or even a sometimes thing for me.

P. James Moriarty on June 21, 2007 at 8:11 AM

ROFL. Of course, the cost won’t be $10K for long.

I’d much prefer the vertical version of this (less chance of spilling my drink on the screen :-)

steveegg on June 21, 2007 at 8:12 AM

Ah yes, Microsoft has done it again . . . I’ll bet it will be almost as popular as the “Zune”.

rplat on June 21, 2007 at 8:28 AM

ROFLOL, when you put it that way, why not buy “just a phone”. If you want to use the Internet, why not just but a really small light laptop?

This subscription nonsense is enough to drive you broke.

Linux rocks, download Ubuntu for your $400 lappy and be happy.

When is Microsoft actually going to do something new, rather than just copy what others do? Why I think that might be MS problem …

tarpon on June 21, 2007 at 8:30 AM

Ha.

8 days till iphone. It’s way cooler than Fred.

JackStraw on June 21, 2007 at 8:30 AM

But, can you find the new Vent on it?

saint kansas on June 21, 2007 at 8:30 AM

Microsoft chews Old Gym Socks!

LINUX P0WNES!

Its a oldy but a goody!

KMFMS

Luves me some Pinguin!

-Wasteland Man.

WastelandMan on June 21, 2007 at 9:13 AM

Microsoft: Making the crap no one wants. From Zune to Surface. I think it speaks more to diversity. Everyone has or wants a smaller, sleeker device. We need to change the people’s perspective to accept devices that are uglier and clunkier than their contemporary counterparts.

jeffNWV on June 21, 2007 at 9:17 AM

I want the one I can staple to my wall.

RushBaby on June 21, 2007 at 9:40 AM

WastelandMan, that KMFMS site is da shizzle fo rizzle, but the old Power Computing ads pwn.

Anyone else remember when computers (and synths) were deliberately made huge and clunky so people would pay money for them? “Hell, who’s gonna pay a couple thousand bucks for a computer that small and light?”

saint kansas on June 21, 2007 at 9:45 AM

I like the idea of a computer table. You know, there must be something to all those folks buying bigger and bigger monitors. But all of a sudden Microsoft talks about including a big ass display in a piece of furniture we use everyday and it’s the most stupid idea ever?

greggish on June 21, 2007 at 10:19 AM

Pretty much, yeah.

Editor on June 21, 2007 at 10:23 AM

Because when someone wants to use it as a coffee table, someone else is going to want to use it as a computer.

Or if you live alone, you’ll have remnants of your last three dinners strewn across it.

James on June 21, 2007 at 10:27 AM

Maybe if you could lay in it and it would vibrate…to relieve back tension..

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on June 21, 2007 at 10:34 AM

I can see it in an office. On one corner lay a paper face down and it scans, and then you file.

I remember when using Lotus 123, when Excel came out with WYSIWYG, all of the bean counters claimed how stupid. All you have to do is learn the shortcuts, why you use icons? Excel will die, and Lotus will rule…WSIWYG, how stupid it will never sell.

right2bright on June 21, 2007 at 1:14 PM

greggish on June 21, 2007 at 10:19 AM

People are buying those bigger monitors and moving towards integrating internet, cable, telephone etc. This requires a

vertical

monitor. The last time I watched a movie at home, it was on a vertical monitor, not a horizontal mall kiosk with kids’ fingerprints and scratches.

This will have a niche market (e.g., mall displays, airline check in, video poker, dusty antique in someone’s garage), but it’ll hardly replace the PC.

cmay on June 21, 2007 at 3:08 PM

My bad, “vertical” should have beem emphasized, not quoted.

AP, you gotta put in a preview feature.

cmay on June 21, 2007 at 3:09 PM

This subscription nonsense is enough to drive you broke.

Linux rocks, download Ubuntu for your $400 lappy and be happy.

tarpon on June 21, 2007 at 8:30 AM

Or better yet. Download pclinuxos and get a linux disto that actually, uh, works.

chow on June 21, 2007 at 3:54 PM

This is what you get when no one you know has kids.
Bill Gates built a what? $220 million bucks house and then had to ask for a permit to add on an extra bedroom, cause they didn’t have enough for their two – count ‘em 2, kids?
They remembered the media room, the vast master suite, the state of the art electronics, the honking kitchen, the spa, the me-me-me-me-me delights, etc etc. etc. Bedroom? Kids? Hunh???
Saw a disclaimer for a super deluxe waterproof flashlight once:
The warrantee does not cover damage caused by grizzly bears or children under 5.

naliaka on June 21, 2007 at 5:01 PM

ROFL. Of course, the cost won’t be $10K for long.

steveegg on June 21, 2007 at 8:12 AM

Spilling a drink won’t be an issue. There are no cracks for it to seep through on the table.

Tim Burton on June 21, 2007 at 5:42 PM

I want a handkerchief computer that looks something like those silk escape maps the WWII pilots were issued. Mabye it would be made out of nanotubes or something. It would fold up in your pocket but then go stiff and flat when you laid it out. And it would only cost a buck fifty so you could toss it away if you had to blow your nose on it or something.

Tantor on June 21, 2007 at 7:17 PM

anything with an “i” in front of the word means it’s for commies…

Kaptain Amerika on June 22, 2007 at 3:58 AM