Rushdie rage continues

posted at 12:25 pm on June 20, 2007 by Bryan

RAND says the likelihood of radicals taking over Pakistan is remote. I’m not so sure.

A hard-line Pakistani parliamentarian and head of a religious political party on Wednesday demanded a “sir” title for Osama bin Laden, the lead of the al-Qaeda terrorist network, in retaliation for Britain knighting author Salman Rushdie.

Because, you know, writing a novel and mass murder are morally equivalent. Same same.

“Muslims should confer the ‘sir’ title and all other awards on bin Laden and Mullah Omar in reply to Britain’s shameful decision to knight Rushdie,” Sami ul Haq, leader of the pro-Taliban Jamiat Ulema-e-Islam, said in a statement, referring also to the leader of the Taliban.

One shouldn’t confuse this ul Haq, Sami, with the other ul Haq who turned up promoting suicide bombing to protest Rushdie’s knighthood in yesterday’s post. That ul Haq was only the country’s religious affair minister. This one won election to Pakistan’s parliament on a pro-Taliban platform.

So yeah, radicals have no chance of taking over Pakistan. No worries.

Now that we’re all not at all worried about radicals rising in Pakistan or, say, Malaysia, let’s look at why the British conferred the knighthood on Rushdie. I thought it was an act of courage. I was evidently wrong about that.

Apparently, the committee that recommended Salman Rushdie for a knighthood had no idea that Rushdie’s selection would be taken as an insult by vast sections of the Muslim world. On the contrary, they believed that honoring Rushdie would actually improve Britain’s relations with countries like Pakistan. Whether you think knighting Rushdie was a smart move or not, the fact that the decision was taken in colossal ignorance of its actual symbolic significance shows how profoundly clueless large sections of the European elite must be about the nature and extent of the challenge from the Muslim world.

That certainly casts European rejection of critics like Walter Laqueur and Mark Steyn in a new light. The picture here is of an utterly naive multiculturalism, incapable of perceiving even the most fundamental challenges posed by unassimilated Muslim immigrants–and their home countries.

They granted Rushdie his “K” in their sleep.

Comments

Huh?

Editor on June 20, 2007 at 12:38 PM

Rushdie posed the FATAL question to Muslims about their Koran:

-if Mohammad admitted that he was deceived by Satan with the notorious “Satanic Verses” (later expurgated by Mohammad out of the Koran), how do you know he wasn’t deceived COMPLETELY?

No Muslim dares to entertain this fateful quandry.

So they try to kill the questioner.

profitsbeard on June 20, 2007 at 12:39 PM

They’re just impotent Islamist weenies. Give ‘em a couple dozen X-boxes with John Madden football games and you’ll never hear from them again.

The Onion piece portraying a terrorist sleeper cell too wrapped up in our pathetic culture to attack the nuclear power station, and the hilarious parodies suggesting that Bush and Cheney had Bin Laden in U.S. military control (“he’s driving us crazy; he just sits around all day watching Jerry Springer and Oprah, and eating Doritos…”) seem closer to the truth.

Jaibones on June 20, 2007 at 12:40 PM

How long do you think it will take for Red Ken to submit those names to the committee?

Canadian Imperialist Running Dog on June 20, 2007 at 12:42 PM

Appeasement in 5…4…3…2…

KelliD on June 20, 2007 at 12:43 PM

A few cappuccino-sipping Lefties in Hampstead may have thought this was a good move, but the idea he is a popular cultural icon is laughable.

LOL, blame the lefties?

Canadian Imperialist Running Dog on June 20, 2007 at 12:49 PM

Do they only have one person lettering signs for the whole jihadi movement?

tree hugging sister on June 20, 2007 at 12:52 PM

The idea that they thought it would improve relations is ridiculous.

I’m 26 and the controversy surrounded The Satanic Verses took place way before my time. And yet, magically, I knew about Mr. Rushdie and the fatwa on his life (and the Cat Stevens issue – my mom was a big fan and was really sad that he supported the fatwa).

I knew all that about him, and I wasn’t even investigating whether or not it would be a good idea to knight him.

What happened? Did they say, “Hey, this novel has something about that Muhommed guy that those Muslims love so much. Maybe if we give it’s author a title, those Muslims will love us and we’ll all sing kumbaya together!”

I’m sorry. No one is that dumb.

JadeNYU on June 20, 2007 at 12:56 PM

Do they only have one person lettering signs for the whole jihadi movement?

tree hugging sister on June 20, 2007 at 12:52 PM

Possibly.

I doubt there are a whole lot of English-speaking people in Pakistan that are hanging out at the local “rage of the month” protests.

JadeNYU on June 20, 2007 at 12:57 PM

Imagine how upset they’ll be when they learn we granted Osama the “RIP” title.

fogw on June 20, 2007 at 12:58 PM

Sir JayHawk Phrenzie

Has a ring to it! Bryan change my nickname! Please! :)

JayHaw Phrenzie on June 20, 2007 at 1:08 PM

Queen Elizebith, shame to you! Shame to you for being listening to the stupids what are recommend Rushdi for the knighting. They are to think that the musselmans will be the pleased to hear of it. This could not be further from the true. We are thinking you are the brave and the gutsy, but you are just listener of the PC poop of water buffalos.

jdpaz on June 20, 2007 at 1:31 PM

Imagine how upset they’ll be when they learn we granted Osama the “RIP” title.

fogw on June 20, 2007 at 12:58 PM

The Rove-master better bust out that rotten corpse (bin Laden, not H. Reid) about a week before the 2008 election.

omnipotent on June 20, 2007 at 1:37 PM

Do they only have one person lettering signs for the whole jihadi movement?

tree hugging sister on June 20, 2007 at 12:52 PM

I have noticed that too. Hmm. Sweatshop Factory in China?

RushBaby on June 20, 2007 at 1:43 PM

how profoundly clueless large sections of the European elite must be

Ivory Towers and let them eat cake. (I had to throw a French reference in there alonge with the English Twit of the year award)

This has been Europe’s problem ever since they kicked out the Druids.

Reminds me of the end of Mrs. Doubtfire; “And what language to they speak in England? Pakistani!?”

Kini on June 20, 2007 at 1:45 PM

Well, the Brits haven’t asked me for my opinion.

But….

On the suggestion that bin Laden be “knighted”, if I were the Monarch, I’d, say, “sure, but Osama has to be physically present in London, in My presence in order to receive the honor.” And when he shows up to collect, put a bullet in his brain and display his head on the gate of Buckingham Palace.

On the threat to Rushdie, again if I were the Monarch (who is the titular head of the Armed Forces AND the judiciary, BTW), I’d make this proclaimation:

“I command any and all Muslims resident in the United Kingdom to cease any threats or actions against Sir Salmon Rusdie. Should be harmed IN ANY WAY, by any Muslim (or any person acting as an agent of a Muslim) who is a resident of the United Kingdom and, therefore, My subject, every Mosque in the United Kingdom will be immediately shut down, every Imam will be deported if not a citizen of the UK and imprisoned if they are a citizen. Further, the congregations of these mosques will be disbursed and disbanded, their monies and property confiscated by the Crown. Islam will be a prohibited religion in the United Kingdom, practitioners will be subject to arrest, imprisonment, and/or deportation as appropriate.

Further, any retaliation against ANY British subject or any embassy of the United Kingdom, by ANY Muslim oversears will result in military action by the Royal Air Force and Royal Navy against the country in which the retaliation occured.

Piss Us off, and you will remember the Crusades as a pleasant romp and picnic compared to what We will do to you now with Our nuclear arsenal. We have spoken!”

Isn’t it great to be king?

georgej on June 20, 2007 at 1:49 PM

Imagine how upset they’ll be when they learn we granted Osama the “RIPW” title.

fogw on June 20, 2007 at 12:58 PM

Seldom do I quarrel with you my friend. On this one, I prefer him to ‘rest’ in war. I like where he’s at. RIP w/b too merciful for him.

Entelechy on June 20, 2007 at 5:00 PM

MM coined it, the “religion of perpetual outrage“.

NRA4Freedom on June 20, 2007 at 5:48 PM

I have no problem with the queen knighting Osama. All he has to do is show up at the palace, and he’ll get it, alright.

Shay on June 21, 2007 at 11:23 AM