Video: Bill and Hillary spoof the “Sopranos” ending

posted at 11:44 am on June 19, 2007 by Allahpundit

This makes two creative, entertaining spots in a row to come out of her camp. She’s got this, Gravel has those kooky art-film spots, Richardson has his job-interview series, and our guys are dumping out clips from their campaign rallies. “Pathetic” doesn’t begin to describe it.

Oh, her new campaign song is revealed too. It comes, not surprisingly, from a more enlightened realm.

Bill’s got a good look going for himself here with that shirt, I think. Click the image to watch.

Update: Why didn’t they use “Don’t Stop Believing” as the campaign song? Was the line about “cheap perfume” too close to home for Bill?

billary.jpg

Comments

Celine Dion. Figures. Just like the 1st post-9/11 SuperBowl. Let’s celebrate America with foreign-born singers…

Spirit of 1776 on June 19, 2007 at 11:50 AM

“just let them touch those things for once in their lives…”
Celine Dion on the Katrina looters in NOLA
hahahahahaha

Mallard T. Drake on June 19, 2007 at 11:51 AM

Also got the ‘I know better than you’ vibe w/ the carrot sticks instead of onion rings. That’s what I’m looking for in a president, in fact I might have to write in Al Gore. /sarc off

Spirit of 1776 on June 19, 2007 at 11:55 AM

I wish the Clintons would fade to black.

I doubt they’ve ever even seen the Sopranos.

JammieWearingFool on June 19, 2007 at 11:57 AM

Our guys are dumping out clips from their campaign rallies. “Pathetic” doesn’t begin to describe it.

Well obviously people are helping them. It’s not like they’d be clever or online without their trainers.

Our side can be awesome and available too, if we can just get them to listen to us. Or, well, some of us. Maybe one or two of us.

Tanya on June 19, 2007 at 11:58 AM

Celine Dion? Now there’s a misstep.

Krydor on June 19, 2007 at 11:59 AM

I think one Clinton comedic President was enough.

Guardian on June 19, 2007 at 12:01 PM

I’d prefer a President, not an entertainer.

JohnJ on June 19, 2007 at 12:01 PM

LMAO! I particularly like the cameo by the actor who played Johnny Stacks (sp?), the Soprano’s NYC mob boss.

I’m not at all amused by the idea of a Hillary! presidency, but you’ve got to give credit where credit is due — that was funny.

Anton on June 19, 2007 at 12:05 PM

So it WAS Johnny Sack! Looks like he’s gone a bit heavy on the sausage & peppers since leaving the show, though.

Kid from Brooklyn on June 19, 2007 at 12:07 PM

It really pains me to say it, that was pretty good. But thanksfully, Hillary still comes off as stiff and cold.

msflea on June 19, 2007 at 12:09 PM

Ah, Celine Dion. What defense, pray tell, will KP come up for that horrible decision?

SouthernDem on June 19, 2007 at 12:12 PM

That was pretty good. Until, that is, the song is actually revealed? Celine Dione? Really?

nailinmyeye on June 19, 2007 at 12:13 PM

She’s running a extremely effective campaign. Her advisors have identified her weaknesses and are on them like a duck on a junebug.

Get ready everyone, that’s our next president.

Dwilkers on June 19, 2007 at 12:15 PM

The only MORE appropriate song for her would be DESERT ROSE by Sting… Not only foreign, but we need to play up the sounds of the islamic world, since they will be our slavemasters under Clinton.

tickleddragon on June 19, 2007 at 12:21 PM

Get ready everyone, that’s our next president.

Dwilkers on June 19, 2007 at 12:15 PM

Not if I have anything to do with it! Way to be negative there, Dwilkers. ;) JK

tickleddragon on June 19, 2007 at 12:22 PM

Time to listen to some stuck mojo again, for pluck up!

tickleddragon on June 19, 2007 at 12:23 PM

Both points = 100% correct

We’ll never see anything this good coming from the Republicans unless Fred! does it. The rest of the pack is obviously stuck in the past using former campaign managers and consultancy firms for candidates that won 20 years ago(whoo-peeeeeee) that concentrate on righty talk radio and direct mail.

Pathetic? You bet.

Michelle noted on her blog redesign that: “Some of you are such diehard conservatives, you are allergic to any and all of the changes. For once, people, Embrace The Change” — I completely agree.

We must change with the times. Ben Franklin didn’t invest in hiring town criers because the oral traditions of the past were working just fine thankyouverymuch, he deftly reasoned that an investment in the future was an investment in the printed word.

If that makes Ben Franklin was a liberal, then so am I–and so should you.

ScottMcC on June 19, 2007 at 12:25 PM

ScottMcC, I totally agree, we’ve gotta adapt. I hope Fred starts to do some real good clips that blow this crap out of the water, and maybe he’ll force the others to engage in a bit of creativity. But I think Fred will have to be the first guy to do it.

Bad Candy on June 19, 2007 at 12:30 PM

Get ready everyone, that’s our next president.

Dwilkers on June 19, 2007 at 12:15 PM

The Clinton Machine is just getting started.

As for the clip, I found myself pining for Phil Hartman’s ‘Warlords’ SNL bit.

infidel4life on June 19, 2007 at 12:33 PM

Ah fudge, it is good. This sucks, we have to have some talented conservatives out there to make stuff like this no? Meh.

Dash on June 19, 2007 at 12:35 PM

TOTALLY LAME!!!!!!!!!

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on June 19, 2007 at 12:36 PM

Nice ad. It makes me a little jealous.

But did anyone else feel weird about the two of them sitting together? I realize they were acting, but it’s was just uncomfortable.

Esthier on June 19, 2007 at 12:38 PM

PS: How about picking a song by an AMERICAN!

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on June 19, 2007 at 12:39 PM

It figures. A French Canadian song. How appropriate.

Mojave Mark on June 19, 2007 at 12:40 PM

Did you catch how their faces fell when they mentioned Chelsea? It was like a poker tell, I think we should research this. She is probably gay. Democrat politicians have alot of homosexual children, you know.

/dkos off

B Moe on June 19, 2007 at 12:40 PM

Would’ve really been funny if instead of Johnny Sack they had used a Vince Foster look-alike.

Labamigo on June 19, 2007 at 12:42 PM

Considering the competition in campaign videos, it’s not bad, but only considering the competition.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on June 19, 2007 at 12:42 PM

It figures. A French Canadian song. How appropriate.

Mojave Mark on June 19, 2007 at 12:40 PM

Kind of reminds me of a joke I got from my brother in law the other day…..

WHAT DO DEER THINK…

Ted Nugent, Rock star and avid bow hunter was being interviewed by a French journalist and the discussion came around to deer hunting. The journalist asked, “What do you think is the last thought in the head of a deer before
you shoot him? Is it, “Are you my friend?” or is it
“Are you the one who killed my brother?’”

Nugent replied, “Deer aren’t capable of that kind of thinking. All they care about is, “What am I going to eat next, who am I going to screw next, and can I run fast enough to get away. They are very much like the French.”

silenced majority on June 19, 2007 at 12:53 PM

Hillary called Bill into her office one day and said “Bill, I have a great idea! I know how we can win back middle America and secure my presidential victory in 2008″.
“Great, but how so you propose we go about that?” asked Bill.
“Well”, Hillary responds, “We’ll go down to a local Wal-Mart, get some cheesy clothes and shoes, like most middle Americans wear and then we’ll stop at the pound and pick up a Golden Retriever. When we look the part we’ll go to a nice old country bar in middle-America, and we’ll show them
that we really enjoy the countryside and show admiration and respect for the hard working people living there.”

A few days later, all decked out and with the requisite Retriever at heel, they set off from New York in a westerly direction. Eventually they arrived at just the place they were looking for, somewhere in Ohio/Indiana/Illinois
or one of those other “fly-over” states.
With dog in tow they walk into the bar. They step up to the bar and the bartender takes a step back and says, “Aren’t you Bill and Hillary Clinton?” Hillary answers, “Yes we are, and what a lovely town you have here. We were just passing through and Bill suggested that we stop and take
in some local color.”
They then order a couple of cocktails from the bartender and proceed to drink them down, all the while chatting up a storm with anyone who would listen.

All of a sudden, the bar room door opens and a grizzled old farmer comes in. He walks up to the Retriever, lifts its tail and looked underneath, shrugged his shoulders and walks out the door. A few moments later, in came another old farmer. He walks up to the dog, lifts its tail, looked
underneath, scratches his head and then left the bar. Over the course of the next hour or so, another four or five farmers came in, lifted the dog’s tail, and went away looking puzzled.
Eventually Hillary and Bill could stand it no longer and called the bartender over. “Tell me” said Hillary, “why did all those old farmers come in and look under the dog’s tail like that? Is it some sort of old custom?”
“Good Lord no,” said the bartender. “Its just that someone has told them that there was a Golden Retriever in this bar with two a**holes!”

Brat on June 19, 2007 at 12:55 PM

Don’t forget the Clinton dream of a United North America, therefore, the song is logical for Empresses Hillary’s campaign . However, I believe this should be the Democratic theme song for all candidates at all levels of the new United North America Federation.

Wuptdo on June 19, 2007 at 1:00 PM

The reason they couldn’t use DSB is that Journey and specifically Steve Perry is very particular about giving permission for their songs to be used. He was concerned how DSB was going to be used in the Sapranos ending and forced the creator to tell him about the ending in detail before they approved it.

I am sure they didn’t want to be tied to anything political. And damn it they aren’t going to ruin my favorite band!

journeyscarab on June 19, 2007 at 1:00 PM

DAMN! They had DSB in the background…thanks for ruining it, Clenis!

journeyscarab on June 19, 2007 at 1:03 PM

Blah blah blah. The Demos are planning to have fun in the next round – that is very bad.

Hillary may still be stiff, but she has been looking a bit more attractive lately. Expect a wardrobe change in the next few months. “I am woman”.

We have too many stogy old guys on stage for the Republicans. Fred’s biggest advantage is his communication skills. But he is still OLD!

Fred/Rudy will be the only ticket that could overcome the youth and practiced deception of this crop of Demos.

It is gonna take some brutal tongue lashing. “There you go agains…” just won’t do.

Agrippa2k on June 19, 2007 at 1:03 PM

Bill and Hill as a mob couple who will whack anyone, even friends, in their desire to get and keep power?

Totally appropriate.

JackStraw on June 19, 2007 at 1:03 PM

Meanwhile, Fred! claws on top of the current Rasmussen poll, leading Rudy 28% to 27%, with “Unsure” getting 18%, John and Mitt each getting 10%, Mike and Sam at 2% each, and the field under 3%.

steveegg on June 19, 2007 at 1:05 PM

Oh lord, are we telling Clinton jokes?

Bill Clinton returns to Air Force One after a trip, and one of the awaiting secret service men notices that he’s carrying a pig under his arm.

“You’re carrying a pig, Sir,” he says to the President.

“That’s right,” Clinton says, “It’s a corn-fed purebred Arkansas Razorback. I got it for Hillary.”

The secret service man replies, “Nice trade, sir.”

Tanya on June 19, 2007 at 1:05 PM

Well the right does have David Zucker… I’m sure someone could put him to use, but discretely

Canadian Imperialist Running Dog on June 19, 2007 at 1:06 PM

Not as good as her last one–pacing is a little slow and the acting is stiffer (probably because she has to be in the same room as Bill). But it is slick and professional and will most likely appeal to the masses.

The Dems are proving to be more media-savvy on all counts this time around. They’re setting the bar high, and our guys haven’t looked up long enough to even notice that the bar moved.

aero on June 19, 2007 at 1:07 PM

Bill Clinton’s favorite song was “I Am Woman” ’cause it reminded him of Hillary roaring. It also reminded him of Monica being “down there on the floor.”

Mojave Mark on June 19, 2007 at 1:14 PM

Here we go again… Clever, vapid, meaningless ad… but they’re so “down-homey” and likeable (and HIP, oooh, they watch the Sopranos!) that people just HAVE to vote for them…

All the way up there with Clinton’s video about what he was doing in his last two terms…

Also, dontcha like how Hillary plays the male Soprano’s role?

Skywise on June 19, 2007 at 1:28 PM

Billy Jeff needs to star in his own private eye show.
He just personifies well-meaning sleaze….

unamused on June 19, 2007 at 1:30 PM

Hate to say it, that was pretty damn funny.

But I like that they are coming to grips with their pyschopathic, underworld connections.

And was that Johnny Chung sitting at the counter?

Steve LLamabutcher on June 19, 2007 at 1:31 PM

That campaign ad had to cost a small fortune.

What did they have to pay those two to sit down across from one another at the same table?

Biggest. Phonies. Ever.

fogw on June 19, 2007 at 1:46 PM

“Rock This Country” by Shania was on the jukebox.
That’s it. Hillary’s got my vote. No matter what.

Halley on June 19, 2007 at 2:12 PM

Nah, it’s just too close to their earlier campaign song, “Don’t Stop,” which, like “You and I,” was also written and sung by non-Americans.

I find it funny that she solicits donations by asking if we’re “ready for change.” Yeah, Bush 41, Clinton 42, Bush 43, Clinton 44… such a change! Any one of her opponents would be more of a change than the Glacier.

calbear on June 19, 2007 at 2:26 PM

I gotta admit that was pretty good…I don’t like her but funny idea…but like someone has already said…get an American artist…Springsteen & Bon Jovi are liberals too!

DCJeff on June 19, 2007 at 2:27 PM

Two points:
1) Don’t know if spoofing a mafia family is really the best idea for Clinton, Inc.
2) Substituting herself for Tony Soprano makes Hillary look masculine, which isn’t a good look for a woman.

CP on June 19, 2007 at 2:29 PM

Celine Dion the idiot who said she wanted to send Kayaks to the stranded Katrina victims. Couldn’t pick an American artist!

Drtuddle on June 19, 2007 at 2:47 PM

I never liked Journey and I can’t stand Celine Dion.

Journey is from the Crazies by the Bay and Celine Dion is from Canada.

Maybe the Kanuk’s will take Billery. Put her on the CN tower to sit and spin.

Kini on June 19, 2007 at 2:49 PM

Did Bill say he wanted to Smash her mouth?

Drtuddle on June 19, 2007 at 3:16 PM

I really hate to admit this, but I thought it was somewhat amusing…especially the cameo by the guy who played Johnny Sac.

I also thought that Bill did a better job acting. The look on his face over the carrots was kinda funny.

That said.

I’m still not voting for her.

Pulchritudinous Patriot on June 19, 2007 at 3:36 PM

Ummmmmm….am I seein’ things or were those not two women kissing at that table?

The Ugly American on June 19, 2007 at 3:58 PM

Nevermind. The black t-shirt and camera angle threw me….it’s a guy.

The Ugly American on June 19, 2007 at 4:04 PM

Two felons in a diner, just like the HBO series.

Hilary developed a waddle and Impeached President Clinton has developed a bit of a shuffle. Must be all those carrots.

Hening on June 19, 2007 at 4:25 PM

With the Clintons doing a parody of a fictional crime family from a tv show, I expect the next Al Qaeda video to be a parody of terrorists from 24.

Capp on June 19, 2007 at 6:30 PM

So they admit they’re a crypto-Mafia family after all.

Thanks B.J. and Hill.

profitsbeard on June 19, 2007 at 6:56 PM

I can see your love shining like a light

Love? I thought we didn’t have to fall in love. We just had to fall in line.

Tanya on June 19, 2007 at 8:14 PM

Fred?!’s song would be the theme song from Petticoat Junction:

“And that’s Uncle Joe, he’s a movin’ kind of slow at the junction,
Petticoat Junction.”

Bradky on June 19, 2007 at 8:31 PM

Relatively entertaining, though you can see Hillary struggling to be human still. Bill is okay, just not an actor obviously, but it’s not like nails on a chalkboard… it’s just a pol trying to act. There’s still something terrifying about Hillary trying to be human.

But I think she (or her people) are definitely listening to Dick Morris who has repeatedly pointed out that her personality is a huge hurdle, and this is their attempt to fix that… hopefully no one buys it.

RightWinged on June 19, 2007 at 9:15 PM

That was so gay. And not in a fun way. Johnny Sac can do better.

Karol on June 19, 2007 at 9:31 PM

YOU’RE GAY.

Allahpundit on June 19, 2007 at 9:33 PM

Celine Dion, when just listening to her sing, can be acceptable. To see her and especially to hear her speak always invokes filth.

Entelechy on June 19, 2007 at 10:21 PM

Uh,
There is something really, profoundly bizarre for a man who was President of the United States to be grovelling around to be on film.
They are beguiled by make-believe and tinsel? The two come off as pure cheap. Well, Hillary comes off as scarey – even when she’s trying to act human, she comes off as bossy and controlling – the Left’s favorite meme: the smart woman and the stupid hubby. But … stupid hubby was the President of the United States … so what does that mean? And playing with mob hints? Gack! There are too many dead people strewn around them for that to be even remotely clever.

naliaka on June 19, 2007 at 10:48 PM

naliaka on June 19, 2007 at 10:48 PM

And the facts you base that statement on are??

Bradky on June 19, 2007 at 10:54 PM

Every Hillary promo is reminding me of consumer products of the past launched with an ad campaign with a big happy face that couldn’t conceal a poor or unpopular product. Think New Coke, smokeless cigarettes, or fat-free potato chips.

Remember circa 1993, Bill Clinton holding up a sample of the national health ID card, and saying “everyone will have one of these”? Hillary’s commercials give me that same creepy feeling. My reaction is, what is that. What are you talking about. What are you trying to sell me!

My impression is Hillary’s public image is nothing more than a vehicle to achieve her political aims. Totally contrived. What did Paglia call her, something like a feminist in drag? The public Hillary has no similarity to the actual Hillary. She flat creeps me out. But who do we have to beat her.

Paul-Cincy on June 19, 2007 at 11:46 PM

And the facts you base that statement on are??

Bradky on June 19, 2007 at 10:54 PM

The problem is this: For the average person, how many people does he or she know personally and have had direct business agreements with who’ve ended up committing suicide or dying prematurely under peculiar circumstances? How many co-workers, subordinates and aquaintances does the average person have who’ve ended up going to jail, prison or having to pay fines for engaging in unlawful activity? Many people zero, some people one or two at most in a lifetime.
The Clintons know more people than the average rubes, that’s a fact, and most probably not that well, of course, but they also associated themselves with a number of people who end up in prison. (ex. Tucker, McDougal – Mr and Madame – Berger is still a question mark, though guilty of charges against him, he’s dodged actual prison for now) A high profile suicide during the first six months of Clinton’s administation (Foster) was a sorry way to ride out the election victory. The isolation of McDougal and his subsequent untimely death from not being given access to his heart medication closed the book on his life and his knowledge of the Whitewater scandal. We will remember the McDougal’s rueful comment that their former business partners’ the Clintons, went through people’s lives like tornados. With that kind of background filler, they should take the advice they are fond of disseminating, even the appearance of impropriety can hurt a candidate. The Sopranos was all about crime and knocking off one’s rivals.
What savvy politician would want to be associated to that, even if it was only television?

naliaka on June 20, 2007 at 12:13 AM

The sheer banality of evil.

Jen the Neocon on June 20, 2007 at 2:23 AM

I’m sorry, I thought that was God-awful. The acting, the premise, can’t stand Celine Dion, yuk. All that just to pick a stupid effing theme song.???! The only thing that struck me as ironically funny was the Sopranos thing, talk about organized crime! The mob could learn a few things from the Clintons!

4shoes on June 20, 2007 at 9:09 AM

4shoes-

I think Hillary’s theme song should be “Climb Every Mountain“.

Since she was presciently named after Sir Edmund Hillary years before he was ever heard of on the world scene, or ever climbed Everest.

Although “FURB” by Frankee would do.

profitsbeard on June 20, 2007 at 11:52 AM