Heart-ache: Japan changes name of Iwo Jima to “Iwo To”

posted at 6:32 pm on June 19, 2007 by Allahpundit

Can’t … something be done about this? We’ve got a moral investment here and they’re pissing it away with a name as goofy as “Iwo To.” If they want “Iwo Falcon,” fine. “Iwo Thor’s Hammer”? No problem. But “Iwo To” just ain’t getting it done.

I’m thinking maybe it’s time we reoccupy. For god’s sake, the Navy’s honor is at stake.

Coming soon: Gettysburg changes its name to “Fluffsville.”

Comments

Old Marines call it “Iwo”, so enough is left.

profitsbeard on June 19, 2007 at 6:34 PM

I’m thinking maybe it’s time we reoccupy.

Then we could call it Iwo Two.

RushBaby on June 19, 2007 at 6:36 PM

Name it whatever you want. It will still glow in the dark.

unamused on June 19, 2007 at 6:37 PM

Coming soon: Gettysburg changes its name to “Fluffsville.”

Except that during the Civil War, the North considered it a draw at best.

It wasn’t a major loss until after the war, and even then it wasn’t a major loss, it just was the high water mark for Lee. The North didn’t win militarily, they won materially. There was no major victories against Lee and even at that most were either losses due to materials or draws.

Ironically enough, the person who “won” Gettysburg was Custard.

Deo vindice

Tim Burton on June 19, 2007 at 6:45 PM

Meh, throughout history the names of battlefields have changed.

It’s nothing new, it will forever remain

“The Battle of Iwo Jima”

For Instance: the legendary sieges of Troy and Stalingrad

Troy’s just gone, and Stalingrad’s now Volgograd.

But though Troy fell and disappeared, the legend of that battle lives on. so will Iwo Jima.

Jones Zemkophill on June 19, 2007 at 6:56 PM

It will always remain Iwo Jima.

Entelechy on June 19, 2007 at 6:59 PM

idk, I find it hard to bitch about the japanese. One of the few countries who has its act together, I think.

triple on June 19, 2007 at 6:59 PM

Submitted too quickly

History is what happened, not what some wish that would have, or would not have, happened.

Entelechy on June 19, 2007 at 7:01 PM

It will always remain Iwo Jima.

Entelechy

It means the same damn thing; Jima and To mean Island in Japanese
not a real big deal, its not like anyone’s going to not remember iwo jima as what it was

and if we wanted to rename gettysburg then we could since WE OWN IT

Defector01 on June 19, 2007 at 7:21 PM

It’s the same as India renaming Bombay – Iwo To is what it was called by the original inhabitants, according to the article, so going back to this name, uh, is really no big deal.

Besides, we’re under no obligation to call it that. They could call it Monster Island for all I care, it’ll still be Iwo Jima in the history books over here.

Mindcrime on June 19, 2007 at 7:35 PM

Sorry, but… Custard?

Must have been the yellow hair.

TheSev on June 19, 2007 at 7:40 PM

I thought San Francisco was renamed to Flufferville.

Kini on June 19, 2007 at 7:40 PM

Mindcrime on June 19, 2007 at 7:35 PM

So basically you are saying, “We kicked their a$$ and that is all that matters?”

Can’t argue with that… LOL!

Tim Burton on June 19, 2007 at 7:42 PM

Come on, Burton, the south got its ass handed to it. And then was beaten by Grant’s superior strategy.

JohnW on June 19, 2007 at 7:44 PM

Tim Burton – EXACTLY!

MCPO Airdale on June 19, 2007 at 7:50 PM

Much ado about nothing. As noted it doesn’t change history and will always be referred to Iwo Jima in the US. The Okinawans have had their history suppressed for the longest time and is not likely to see that change in the school books but they pass on the history to their children. Until 1985 they refused to fly the Japanese flag over about half the public schools on the island — Japanese government had to step in and force the issue.
If the original inhabitants wanted it referred to on maps as To it doesn’t sound like a history dodge in this case. But somehow I think AP is not as indignant as his rant would have us believe.

Bradky on June 19, 2007 at 8:06 PM

unamused on June 19, 2007 at 6:37 PM

The “bomb” wasn’t dropped on Iwo Jima.

Bradky on June 19, 2007 at 8:08 PM

Hey, can we hurry up already and agree that the Japanese are doing this to just piss us off? Then we can get down to arguing about Gettysburg.

manwithblackhat on June 19, 2007 at 8:15 PM

Sorry, Sands of Iwo To just doesn’t do it for me. And I think Sgt. John M. Stryker would agree with me.

ReubenJCogburn on June 19, 2007 at 8:15 PM

Iwo Jima and Iwo To are still spelled the same in Japanese. Jima and To are just different readings of the same kanji. Whew, crisis averted.

Hack Ptui on June 19, 2007 at 8:21 PM

Heh.

For clarity, it was called Iwoto first. It would actually be like if the Japanese renamed Gettysburg “Fluffsville,” and we kept calling it that for sixty years before changing it back.

Tanya on June 19, 2007 at 8:23 PM

I’m a little more concerned about their denial of Nanking.

Radish on June 19, 2007 at 8:25 PM

Wait until the truthers get a hold of this. There was no Iwo Jima! But I doubt any of them have heard of Iwo Jima.

dingoatemebaby on June 19, 2007 at 8:44 PM

Yeah Our marines fought for every inch of ‘Iwo’ Jima probably means ‘We got our asses kicked’ in Japanese.

sonnyspats1 on June 19, 2007 at 8:46 PM

Radish on June 19, 2007 at 8:25 PM

Or more recently Mao had caused between 30 and 40 million people to starve to death during the so-called Great Leap Forward of 1958-61, the horror of the regime was there for all to see. But McQueen’s reminiscences mentioned none of this.

or Tianamen square 200 -3,000

or the North Korean famine over one million

or Pol Pot

Japan shouldn’t be afraid to acknowledge history I agree, but there are plenty of stones to toss around. All of those I mentioned happened after Nanking. Japan is an extremely reliable ally and gentle persuasion is the best course.

Bradky on June 19, 2007 at 8:51 PM

So far as I’m concerned it’s still Saigon, and for that matter Constantinople. If I keep refering to Iwo Jima, I expect there won’t be many misunderstandings.

Blacklake on June 19, 2007 at 9:02 PM

Istanbul was Constantinople
Now it’s Istanbul, not Constantinople
Been a long time gone, Constantinople
Now it’s Turkish delight on a moonlit night

Every gal in Constantinople
Lives in Istanbul, not Constantinople
So if you’ve a date in Constantinople
She’ll be waiting in Istanbul

Even old New York
Was once New Amsterdam
Why they changed it I can’t say
People just liked it better that way

So take me back to Constantinople
No, you can’t go back to Constantinople
Now it’s Istanbul, not Constantinople
Why did Constantinople get the works
That’s nobody’s business but the Turks.

(Jimmy Kennedy and Nat Simon)

manwithblackhat on June 19, 2007 at 9:21 PM

It really doesn’t matter what the Japanese call Iwo.

It matters what Marines call it.

Iwo.

Federalist on June 19, 2007 at 9:45 PM

manwithblackhat on June 19, 2007 at 9:21 PM

Just what I was thinking.

Nonfactor on June 19, 2007 at 10:01 PM

Coming soon: Gettysburg changes its name to “Fluffsville.”

Funny, but no chance in hell, the gift shop businesses would be screeching at such a level you would think Mothra did a flyby through the town if they had to buy a whole new trinket stockpile!

Bad Candy on June 19, 2007 at 10:24 PM

I herewith rename Hiroshima and Nagasaki, the two of which shall be henceforth known as “Pwn3d One” and “Pwn3d Two.”

Misha I on June 19, 2007 at 10:46 PM

Maybe I shouldn’t be so harsh. I’ve played many a Civilization campaign where freshly-conquered Paris saw its name changed by my dictatorial decree to “Snailsville” or “Surrender City” or worse (of course, those indignities were pre-Sarkozy!).

I won’t even share some of things I’ve renamed Mecca.

Blacklake on June 19, 2007 at 11:37 PM

JohnW

As a member of the south, you should know that 56% of all southerners find northerners to be as threatening as radical Islam. Your comment only solidifies those fears.

Joshua P. Allem on June 20, 2007 at 12:04 AM

The name “Japan” is actually a mispronounciation so turnabout is fair play.

I live in Nevada but I’ve spent 3 months in Georgia and 5 months in Oklahoma with the Army. The South is the soul of the country. No doubt about it.

Mojave Mark on June 20, 2007 at 12:33 AM

“Must have been the yellow hair. ”

In that case, it would have been “Mustard.” ;^)

As long as there is an America and a United States Marine Corps, it will be known as Iwo.

At some far distant time in the future, when historians are trying to associate the name “Iwo Jima” with a place, it will still be a legendary battle the way the Iliad (and Troy) is today. And the “Battle of Iwo Jima” will still be a story of Iron will, valor, and determination. And like the wooden horse, the story of the battle and the raising of the flag will be emblematic.

georgej on June 20, 2007 at 12:55 AM

My Father in law fought at Iwo Jima and still carries Japanese steel in his stomach for that privilidge. As the third wave hit the beach he was 250 yards off shore and the ocean was red from US Marines’ blood.

He doesn’t give a rats ass what anyone else calls it, ergo nor do I. For the record, had I printed what he calls it this would probably have been my last post.

Semper Fi.

Alden Pyle on June 20, 2007 at 10:04 AM

AP, Iwo Jima means Sulfur Island. The whole place smells like rotten eggs. Could be a PR move.

budorob on June 20, 2007 at 10:14 AM

It may be Iwo To to the Japanese, but it will always be Iwo Jima to Americans.

Tantor on June 20, 2007 at 5:06 PM

budorob on June 20, 2007 at 10:14 AM

As someone earlier pointed out the character has two pronunciations; to and jima. Prior to the war it had been called “Iwa to” for a very long time.

This whole renaming thing has nothing to do with trying to rewrite history and no one has suggested that the Americans refer to it as the old name.

Much ado about nothing. Really.

Bradky on June 20, 2007 at 5:35 PM