Video: Confronted by Truthers, Dean-o plays dumb

posted at 2:49 pm on June 18, 2007 by Allahpundit

Many thanks to my estimable colleague for covering me for the past few hours. My aging PC and I had a little date with destiny that required immediate attention.

Whenever I’m away from the site for a stretch I like to come back with The Truth. So here’s the chairman of the DNC meeting some of his core constituents and shamelessly pretending like he doesn’t know what they’re talking about. That’s not surprising: when asked at one of the primary debates in 2003 about his own notorious foray into Trutherism, he ducked the question so pathetically that even the true-blue leftists at Slate felt compelled to call him on it.

No big loss. These guys are probably voting Republican anyway.

Comments

Sledgehammers really are fun, aren’t they?

Bad Candy on June 18, 2007 at 2:55 PM

Dean shunning his base. :(

JayHaw Phrenzie on June 18, 2007 at 2:56 PM

“Way beyond my area of expertise.” – Howard Dean’s answer to all questions.

Zetterson on June 18, 2007 at 2:58 PM

Well of course he doesn’t know anything about 9/11, that was a *Republican* attack on America!

Tony737 on June 18, 2007 at 2:58 PM

Remember folks, there are no stupid questions. Just stupid Truthers asking questions.

fusionaddict on June 18, 2007 at 2:59 PM

Gee, Howie Dean being a maroon? There’s a news story!

mojo on June 18, 2007 at 3:02 PM

What problems with the official report?

Wade on June 18, 2007 at 3:03 PM

“Way beyond my area of expertise.”

That’s Area 51, right?

(Or, one could ask: “What isn’t, guv?”)

profitsbeard on June 18, 2007 at 3:04 PM

You gotta love Trutherism. This will be one of the great live third rails of the coming election cycle. A great example of how some of the Nutroots elements are easily capable of hanging themselves. Mainstream right journalists and bloggers should be vetting every Democrat candidate for signs of Trutherism.

JeffB. on June 18, 2007 at 3:04 PM

Isn’t “Student Scholar” an oxymoron or is this guy just your garden variety moron?

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on June 18, 2007 at 3:06 PM

Scholars… ahahaha that’s funny…

Kaptain Amerika on June 18, 2007 at 3:08 PM

1. The category of information that is “way outside of” Governor Dean’s “area of expertise” is, indeed, significant.

2. (Ad Hominem attack, warning) Is it my imagination, or are the Truthers mostly fat, pasty little white boys who look to have spent a lot of time in the school band, playing saxophone (badly) or bass clarinet (worse), fighting serious acne problems, and getting beat up a lot?

Just asking.

Jaibones on June 18, 2007 at 3:09 PM

“Sorry, that’s way beyond my area of expertise…YEEEEEEEAAAAAARGH!”

Fixed.

James on June 18, 2007 at 3:21 PM

Truthers and Dean ≠ truth or reality

Or at least, we’ll make it up as we go – DNC

Kini on June 18, 2007 at 3:27 PM

Truthers confronting moonbats, this is the reality of 2007?
When exactly did the world become so sick?
Did BDS evolve into something even more infectious and deranged?

abinitioadinfinitum on June 18, 2007 at 3:34 PM

Hi, my name is Mike Jackman and I am a huge douche.

Mike. Jackman.

benrand on June 18, 2007 at 3:35 PM

“Student Scholar” isn’t an oxymoron it’s redundant.

Mig on June 18, 2007 at 3:36 PM

You won’t be able to buy the iphone if your computer keeps actin’ up. It’s a conspiracy; slightly less grand than 9/11.

lorien1973 on June 18, 2007 at 3:45 PM

Did BDS evolve into something even more infectious and deranged?

Hate knows no boundaries. As Ron Paul would say, there is blowback when your agenda is hate.

lorien1973 on June 18, 2007 at 3:46 PM

Video: Confronted by Truthers, Dean-o plays dumb

He’s not playing dumb…

rmgraha on June 18, 2007 at 4:06 PM

Awwww, you beat me to it.

That’s what I get for laughing about it so long.

TheSev on June 18, 2007 at 4:21 PM

These are the people he represents. Doesn’t seem comfortable around them, though.

If these so-called scholars wanted some truth they should have stood at the bottom of the pit and started mouthing off in front of the people cleaning up the disaster. Ambushing politicians is pretty lame, but always amusing hen they are Dhims.

Hening on June 18, 2007 at 4:30 PM

I was hanging out and observing some of the these folks about 9/11 and their “truth.” They also believe there really is a StarGate Command as well. Go Figure.

Wuptdo on June 18, 2007 at 4:43 PM

No big loss. These guys are probably voting Republican anyway.

Welcome to the Grand Old Tent (GOT). Where you’ll find whatever the hell you’re looking for.

Rick on June 18, 2007 at 4:44 PM

As Ron Paul would say, there is blowback when your agenda is hate.

How true. It looks like its time for the Dems to pay the piper for embracing their not so much reality based supporters. Pelosi getting picketed by Code Pink is the only beginning.

BohicaTwentyTwo on June 18, 2007 at 4:51 PM

Chickens, nest, roost.

Egfrow on June 18, 2007 at 5:27 PM

Just asking.

Jaibones on June 18, 2007 at 3:09 PM

I would have to say “yes” to that; see Rosie O’Donnel.

I would say that the conspiracy mindset comes from people who feel disenfranchised, isolated and rejected by “normal” people. It serves as a vehicle for those who feel powerless over their lives (and who have had this powerlessness affirmed through various attempts at social interaction) to feel a sense of power and superiority. They “know something” you don’t. They’re “smarter than you” because they understand the “real, secret reason” for a certain event and you don’t. They’re “special”, (of course not in the way that we think they’re special.) That’s why many of these types like comic books & sci-fi; they can live vicariously through characters with special powers. In a sense they possess special powers of their own by “knowing” things about spectacular events that you don’t or having certain facts that you don’t.

foxforce91 on June 18, 2007 at 5:53 PM

I laughed at the end when the truther says, “But he [dean] was more receptive than most people”.

I’m sure he’s received a lot of blank stares and looks of, get the hell out of my face, when he approached other people with that garbage.

what a retard.

Opinionnation on June 18, 2007 at 5:56 PM

Pay close attention to his facial language, he clearly is feeling pressure and his skin turn slightly pink, his lip movements show his stress. He doesn’t believe a word, but he will pander to whomever, whereever forever to gain power. POWER that’s all it is for these types. BEWARE!!!

sharinlite on June 18, 2007 at 6:36 PM

Conspiracy theories are a way to pose as smart without actually being smart.

Tantor on June 18, 2007 at 6:45 PM

he was more receptive than most people, so we’ll see.

Wow, if that’s receptive then it’s a good thing this guy is in moonbattery and not sales. Come to think of it though, his optimistic spirit would be quite a boon to a door to door salesman, “Well, at least he didn’t open my sample case before throwing it at my head. That’s one ‘no’ that I’ll put down as a ‘not yet.’”

CHUMP!

smellthecoffee on June 18, 2007 at 6:52 PM

In order for truth to be known, the TRUTH must be spoken to the truth.

dingoatemebaby on June 18, 2007 at 8:38 PM

“Way beyond my area of expertise.” – Howard Dean’s answer to all questions.

I’m pretty sure he picked that up from Al Gore’s global warming testimony; i.e., in answer to any valid scientific challenge:

“Oh, that’s way above my pay scale. Ho ho ho!”

saint kansas on June 19, 2007 at 7:35 AM