Lott: Something must be done about this conservative noise machine; Update: Bush hails Teddy’s “corazon grande”

posted at 11:53 am on June 15, 2007 by Allahpundit

St. John is muzzled because of the campaign, relegated to looking nervous and nodding condescendingly when voters complain to him about the craptacular congressional immigration efforts for which he’s materially responsible. So it falls to tools like this and Lindsey Graham to lob grenades at the base and offer sub-moronic procedural justifications for why the bill should be passed. It’s no different than if we said, “Why don’t we hook up with the nutroots and get Lott and Graham impeached, just to see if we have the balls to do it? Just to prove that our democracy still works? After all, are we men or mice?

Which, come to think of it, isn’t a bad idea:

Comments by Republican senators on Thursday suggested that they were feeling the heat from conservative critics of the bill, who object to provisions offering legal status. The Republican whip, Trent Lott of Mississippi, who supports the bill, said: “Talk radio is running America. We have to deal with that problem.”

Question: What kind of political instinct would identify the one spot on the media spectrum controlled by his constituents as a “problem” that needs to be dealt with? Answer: The same kind of political instinct that believes this bill is going to guarantee his party millions of Hispanic votes for decades to come. His comment here is the logical conclusion of the grand betrayal that this bill and the secretive maneuvering behind it represents — not just ignoring the wishes of the base, not just expressing hostility towards it and/or impugning its motives and integrity (Lott also falsely claims that critics “don’t even know what’s in the bill”), but actually moving against it by threatening to neuter its media mouthpiece. As such, I may have to revisit what I said yesterday about righty bloggers being unlikely ever to organize to take down candidates. This simply can’t go on; it’s a major problem, one which we may, at last, “have to deal with.”

Krauthammer and David Frum each have new pieces out, their tone thick with exasperation, asking why, if everyone’s for border enforcement but not everyone’s for amnesty, we can’t simply deal with the border now and revisit the amnesty question later (in five years, preferable, says Frum). Bush has no answer. But he does have a hot new euphemism, fragrant and brimming with nuance, that he’s willing to try out:

Bush, at the prayer breakfast, said, “We must meet our moral obligation to treat newcomers with decency and show compassion to the vulnerable and exploited, because we’re called to answer both the demands of justice and the call for mercy.

“Most Americans agree on these principles,” the president said. “And now it’s time for our elected leaders in Congress to act.”

Nonsense. Most illegals aren’t newcomers; they’ve been crossing for decades, thanks to Congress’s sustained, steadfast commitment to ignoring Krauthammer’s and Frum’s question. Even the rhetorical puffery on this issue is dishonest, factually incorrect garbage.

I can’t leave off on such a depressing note, not on a Friday. Here. That’ll cheer you up.

Update: Okay, I’m done. GRAVEL IN ’08!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Mojave Mark on June 15, 2007 at 3:47 PM

And Global Warming would take its rightful place next to the tooth fairy and the Easter bunny.

infidel4life on June 15, 2007 at 4:31 PM

John Kyl’s D.C. line sent me to voicemail…which is full.

WisCon on June 15, 2007 at 2:55 PM

Me too.

PRCalDude on June 15, 2007 at 4:34 PM

However, I have trouble understanding the urgency of this bill now…

Kralizec on June 15, 2007 at 2:18 PM

Your ‘fat cats’ theory is totally plausibe. However, here’s the number one reason – they are assured that Bush 43 will sign it. They (politicians and their financial daddies) don’t know who’ll win in ’08 and if that president will be so willing.

Entelechy on June 15, 2007 at 4:44 PM

Rushbaby-

How do I get a Bush bumper sticker off?

You can simply paste a TANCREDO HUNTER 2008 sticker right over top of it.

Less work, more fun.

profitsbeard on June 15, 2007 at 5:02 PM

I wrote him the same thing i’ve been telling you guys…you don’t have to put down each other to disagree and make change. You hurt your party in the long run.

tomas on June 15, 2007 at 5:07 PM

Lott has been whining ever since he was thrown out as majority leader. His childish tantrums are damaging his party and making him look like a fool. Enough of Lott.

rplat on June 15, 2007 at 5:10 PM

You can simply paste a TANCREDO HUNTER 2008 sticker right over top of it.

Less work, more fun.

profitsbeard on June 15, 2007 at 5:02 PM

*grin*

I’ll consider it! Gotta link?

RushBaby on June 15, 2007 at 5:34 PM

You know, I am a lifelong pro-life Republican. After the election I stopped listening to Rush and Laura and I stopped reading Michelle’s blog and the like for about 3 months. I was so disappointed, but mostly I was angry that people did not come out and support President Bush. I remember being angry at Michelle when the erroneous information about Bush vetoing the fence bill spread through the internet and she initially wrote “I think I’m just going to sit it out. As if it were possible, the White House has succeeded in demoralizing the base even further with this latest bungle. And it has no one to blame–not Democrats, not the media, not a far-Left cabal–but itself.” October 9, 2006. I didn’t understand how she could say that and influence people when so much was at stake, but now I feel demoralized and I almost want our leadership to be defeated so they know will know what they have done to Ronald Reagan’s party. They have left me and I don’t know where to go.

deedledee on June 15, 2007 at 5:50 PM

That doesn’t help much; it seems you’ve said, in effect, that the President and the Congress are trying to keep an open border because they want an open border.

Kralizec on June 15, 2007 at 2:36 PM

Yes I believe that those pushing this bill and the President want open boarders and I think this bill will go a long way to that end.

What I think we’d all like to work out is: What people and what institutions are the sources of sufficient money and other inducements to cause a President, a Presidential candidate and his close supporters, and Congressional leaders of both major parties to work so hard to pass this sloppy bill now, in the face of so much opposition and in the run-up to an election?

Kralizec on June 15, 2007 at 2:36 PM

Doctor Corsi is better qualified to answer those questions than me, he has written books on the subject, here are some of his articles.

Maxx on June 15, 2007 at 5:57 PM

deedledee on June 15, 2007 at 5:50 PM

Please reconsider listening to Rush. He is NOT against President Bush, he is against the 2007 Comprehensive Destroy the Republican Party Bill. Rush is the leader of the Conservative movement in this country, NOT the Republican party. Please, I urge you to rediscover his infectious optimism.

Oh – and listen to Dennis Prager, too. His show has a totally different style, and you will feel enriched after every show, I promise.

RushBaby on June 15, 2007 at 6:00 PM

Kralizec on June 15, 2007 at 2:36 PM

Absolutely,with all of the incongruities, what sense does forcing through a ridiculously bad bill make?

Speakup on June 15, 2007 at 6:12 PM

We have been betrayed by the Republican leadership. Who knows what they are thinking, but the Republican Party is dead, dead, dea, if this monstrosity passes I am trying to get through to scream at my senators Cornyn and Hutchinson, but the lines are busy. I will renounce any Republican affiliation if the bill is passed by the Senate and will vote against either of my senators in their re-election efforts if they vote to break any filibuster.

The Presidient takes us as fools in his offer of money for window dressing efforts at enforcement in the bill. It would be $4.4 billion down the drain as neither he or any Democratic successor has any interest in slowing down the illegal flow. He could have been enforcing our immigration laws during the past 6 years and prevented the problem from completely getting out of hand. He is a worse traitor to the U.S. than Benedict Arnold.

ptolemy on June 15, 2007 at 6:24 PM

I sent this email to Lott today. It made me feel a teeny tiny bit better:

Mr. Lott:

You err in thinking that because us ordinary citizens found a viable way to express our feelings via talk radio and conservative blogs there is now a problem. The problem is yours now sir because we now have the ability to mobilize and keep alive the issues that we feel strongly about especially when it comes to fairness and the interest of the whole and not a few. I hope you get voted out of office. I think the time for politicians like you, who I believe are corrupt, self serving, bought by special interest and selling out this country has come and gone. Good riddance I’ll say when you and the rest of the arrogant senators, who are trying to ram this immigration amnesty through in spite of your constituent’s very strong opposition, are gone. You serve at our pleasure and not the other way around. Good luck to you.

CCRWM on June 15, 2007 at 7:38 PM

Rushbaby-

At this point your have to go online to “custon bumpersticker” sites and compose your own, selecting the text/color, etc. and then order as few or as many as you need (branders.com and cafepress are the cheapest I’ve found, but there are a boatload of others).

(BUSH FOR EL PRESIDENTE OF MEXICO could be put on the front bumper.)

profitsbeard on June 15, 2007 at 8:49 PM

I really am starting to think that the reason the White House and the rest of the republicans hung this jerk out to dry after Thermond was because he is just that, a jerk!

NEMETI IN SYRACUSE on June 15, 2007 at 8:51 PM

Lott is partially correct. There is a “noise machine” in this country and it is attempting to control the opinions, attitudes and behavior of the populace . . . it’s known as the “main stream media”. Without conservative talk radio and conservative blogs, this insidious enterprise could effectively function as a shadow government, setting all policy and moral direction for the country. Sorry Lott, your tripe isn’t selling.

rplat on June 16, 2007 at 9:24 AM