Open thread: Michelle vs Geraldo on The Factor Update: Video added

posted at 8:32 pm on June 14, 2007 by Bryan

The boss squared off against Geraldo Rivera on The O’Reilly Factor’s opening two segments tonight, on polar opposite sides of the illegal immigration question. Video is on the way–I’m editing it now. But I thought I’d toss up an open thread to let the HA regulars discuss it.

Update: A couple of points while the video file processes and uploads. One, Geraldo is only right about illegals committing crime at the same rate or less than legals, if you discount immigration law. If you keep immigration law in the equation, and you should, all illegal immigrants are by definition criminals — they have committed at least one crime, and they continue to commit that crime every day that they stay here illegally. So they would rack up quite a record of law-breaking, if we merely enforced the laws that are on the books. Two, Geraldo likes to play up twin angles that are mutually contradictory. On the one hand, he wants compassion for illegals. On the other hand, he argues that they’re a net plus by paying Social Security taxes that they’ll never get back, and that will go to citizens and legal residents. Well, is it compassionate to rake off billions in taxes from illegals, knowing that they’ll never see that money again? That sounds an awful lot like legalized theft to me.

Update: I’m also struck that Geraldo mentioned “population transfer” a couple of times, insinuating that pro-enforcment folks like us just want to bus all the illegals out and that when we say we want the law enforced, that’s really code for advocating a massive “population transfer.” Yet he kept mentioning the figure of 12,000,000 illegals being here, mostly from Mexico. Well, that’s about 9 percent of Mexico’s entire population, that’s here illegally right now. And that number is growing every day. So there is already a “population transfer” underway, and it’s coming north out of Mexico into the US.

Update: Ok, here’s the video. Note that the screenshot features both Michelle and Geraldo smiling. That’s not a Photoshop. It’s just a frame taken before the debate got underway. Note also that the debate has been edited for brevity.

Now, because I had to edit it, I ended up leaving out one of Geraldo’s most ridiculous statements. Thankfully Gateway Pundit caught it and posted it himself: Geraldo says that illegal immigration is the new gay marriage. I told you it was ridiculous.

Update: Last thoughts on this, from me anyway. It’s rare to see the difference between conservatives and liberals on such obvious display like it was in this debate. Geraldo resorted to emotional arguments throughout, and cited statistics without ever noting the source of those stats, and many of his stats aren’t even right. And he had to ignore some obvious things — such as the inherent criminality of illegal immigrants — to get anywhere near making a substantive point. Instead of making real points, he just kept ranting about “Pablo” and injecting race into the debate, and then accusing Michelle of injecting race when she clearly hadn’t.

Michelle cited facts and stats principles and rejected Geraldo’s race-based pandering and innuendo. Geraldo often seemed at a loss for arguments, resorting to sighing or filibustering. Hopefully without sounding too much like a kiss-up, I’d score this one an easy win for the boss. Geraldo needs to hit the books if he wants to sound like he knows what he’s talking about on immigration. Here’s a suggestion for him.

Just as an aside, a long time ago I used to respect Geraldo Rivera quite a bit. He was the first reporter to really make much of an impression on me, way back when he was on 20/20 working alongside the Contras in Nicaragua. But that Geraldo went on to become a daytime trashy talk show host before becoming the demagogue he is now. It’s a shame. The old Geraldo was darn near heroic at times. The new one…he’s just a bad spokesman for a racialist view of immigration policy.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Fire Geraldo and promote Michelle.

Once a lawyer ALWAYS a lawyer. Geraldo es un idiota.

Mojave Mark on June 15, 2007 at 1:33 AM

MM is right. This is an invasion and not ‘illegal immigration’. We should all begin to call it what it is. Immigration can only be the legal kind.

Entelechy on June 15, 2007 at 1:36 AM

I think Geraldo has a gay illegal immigrant lawn care man that he is worried Michelle is going to drag back to Mexico.

It gives Michelle a chance to shamelessly plug her book. :P

Yeah that may have been in Geraldo’s favor cause it sounds like somebody using their opinion as a source and then the plug to sale the book.

Wasn’t “Invasion” a New York Times Best Seller? I own “Unhinged” which was stressful to read because of the evil venom the lefties flailed at Michelle! I also own “A Defense of Internment”. I really enjoyed the Magic intercepts. Didn’t realize so many Japanese in South America. I think the Japanese had planned to set up their main spy network in Mexico? A lot of research went into “Internment”. I believe that the explosion at Black Tom Island was another reason FDR gave for internment.

Ok it worked Michelle! I just ordered a new (not used) copy of “Invasion”. Got super saving shipping from Amazon so it’s like only $20. Geradlo you can borrow it when I threw reading it.

Drtuddle on June 15, 2007 at 1:51 AM

Holy crap, Michelle is a fox, in every way.

Sorry Geraldo, you got beaten down.

Metro on June 15, 2007 at 2:03 AM

Holy crap, Michelle is a fox, in every way.

Sorry Geraldo, you got beaten down.

Metro on June 15, 2007 at 2:03 AM

Michelle is a voice for reason and enforcing existing laws, laws everyone else but the illegal alien is expected to abide by.

Michelle, My Hero! Wow! What a perfect spokesperson for sanity in this issue of illegal immigration.

I believe Geraldo is a racist who is more interested in promoting Hispanic illegal aliens than the welfare of the United States. I question his foundation that illegal aliens commit crimes at a lower rate than resident citizens – and I believe he will misreport any statistic he can to support his racist position. He totally disregards the negative impact the illegal alien has on the United States – the only ones that the illegal alien is benefiting is wealthy and corporate interests to increase their short term profit, and the Left who aspires to greater political power.

The only reason I even catch a glimpse of Geraldo now is film such as this one on Hot Air – other than that he gets switched as soon as I hear his voice or see his face.

omegaram on June 15, 2007 at 2:18 AM

Forget the points made (and Michelle won those too).

Look at the body language. Michelle dominated Geraldo and Geraldo knows this, and is made very uncomfortable by it.

It’s just like Jimmy Carter when faced with a rabbit.

Christoph on June 15, 2007 at 2:21 AM

I feel kind of sorry for ‘Herrrallldo’ .

Michelle is a real meanie: Even G. Gordon Liddy refused to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man.
;-)

LegendHasIt on June 15, 2007 at 3:32 AM

You know, I thought it was a disappointing exchange, at least based on these excerpts. MM’s ninety second opener was fine and then Geraldo spent the rest of it fighting with a straw man–the “Malkin vision” for the world which he extrapolated from one offhand answer last week instead of engaging the things Michelle has actually written and seriously advocated.

To hear Geraldo tell it, Michelle (and by extension her readers and fans) sits around all day discussing how we hate Mexicans and how best to punish that evil Pablo who runs his leafblower too loud, all leading up to some sort of police-state “grim vision” Final Solution to the Brown Menace. MM dealt with Geraldo well, but at least from those clips, there were better things to talk about and .

The open-borders crowd keeps throwing away chances to change minds and make their points. Geraldo,here, was all about painting himself as Martin Niemoller for Latin Americans. But the WSJ crapped out of the debate with NRO, preferring to snipe in seclusion rather than go toe to toe.

I would pay money to see a civil, well-informed discussion on the issue of illegal immigration and border security that didn’t get into, well, in this case, Hammurabi pulling down the pants of Jews. But the open-borders advocates keep turning it into an emotional, sentimental circus.

Incidentally, in that second clip, it sounds like Geraldo says he would reluctantly acquiesce to a fence on the border if that’s the only way 12 million illegal immigrants can be “regularized”.

Is that really what he said? If so that’s quite an admission.

see-dubya on June 15, 2007 at 5:11 AM

Geraldo came across like a Latino Al Sharpton.

Hening on June 15, 2007 at 7:09 AM

Michelle did her usual outstanding job displaying honest facts about this illegal immigration problem and that the REAL problem is not enforcing existing laws. Geraldo did his usual race-baiting BS as he has no honest debate in protecting 12 million Mexicans who broke our laws to get here. Come to think of it, neither does Congress. Good for you Michelle!

lynnv on June 15, 2007 at 8:19 AM

By the way, a super mass emailing to Fox News (Yourcomments@foxnews.com) to get Geraldo the imbicile off the air may make Fox News more palatable. Just a thought.

lynnv on June 15, 2007 at 8:21 AM

I’m curious. How do illegals pay into Social Security if they don’t have SS#’s? Are they using fake SS#’s to get a job and the employer is making payments in the name on the fake id?

ctmom on June 15, 2007 at 8:33 AM

You guys are a little off on one point..illegal immigration is not a CRIME. There’s a difference between breaking a law and committing a crime. Speeding is also illegal, but not a crime. So technically, you can’t claim that all illegal immigrants are criminals. Should illegal immigration be a crime? That’s a debate one could have, but currently it is not.
So please correct these errors, as to not look like an amateur in the future.

freakagriep on June 15, 2007 at 8:51 AM

Haven’t seen a throwdown that good since the last time I read FredThread comments between csdeven and Bad Candy, Entelechy, Limerick, unamused, et al.

Brat on June 15, 2007 at 8:54 AM

Michelle vs. Geraldo proves once again the truth in the saying, “It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.”

Or, that sometimes big things come in small packages. Michelle was on fire; Geraldo got burned.

Aquatic analogy: Michelle closed in on Geraldo like a hungry Barracuda going for the kill. Geraldo resembled an Octopus squirting blobs of ink and hoping to skulk away in the resulting confusion.

Take a victory lap, Michelle. You earned it.

I was intrigued about Geraldo’s racist reasoning: essentially, that if all these millions of illegals were white, nobody’d be complaining. Turn that coin on its flip side, and it’s Geraldo saying, “If I weren’t Hispanic, I wouldn’t be supporting the innundation of this country by Hispanics.”

Racist (Ray-sist) n.: 1. One obsessed with superficial characteristics such as skin color or national origin over factual substance or logic; 2. Someone who, when intellectually outmatched, points to others and says, “Racist!”

Lastly, an aside: If FOX News wants to remain intellectually consistent with its moniker, send Geraldo on indefinite assignment to Mexico and hire Michelle!

Spurius Ligustinus on June 15, 2007 at 9:00 AM

Geraldo is approaching this issue from a very personal standpoint. I like him, but he’s doing exaclty what he accuses Michelle of doing.

Michelle was measured, had all her facts lined up, and called him on all of his outlandish claims.

To top it off, she looked great. We know how important that is in televised debate . A thorough butt whuppin courtesy of my favorite conservative rock star!

Malpaso on June 15, 2007 at 9:03 AM

Geraldo, Empty as Al Capones vault.

Michelle youre the best!

Viper1 on June 15, 2007 at 9:06 AM

You guys are a little off on one point..illegal immigration is not a CRIME.

It may not be a FELONY, Einstein, but it is most definately a CRIME.

JayHaw Phrenzie on June 15, 2007 at 9:07 AM

it’s funny, at the end of the debate, it looked as if Gerry didn’t believe his own argument. I think he’s grasping just to save face at this point.

flipflopper on June 15, 2007 at 9:38 AM

Sorry Bryan, Geraldo is even wrong about this. According to the Center for Immigration Studies, crime rate among illegals is higher. The reason is under-reporting. This isn’t counting the crime of crossing the border, these are violent crimes.

This is true for the small business community in my area. The violent crime is mostly Hispanic against Hispanic, BUT stores closed due to this crime. It has impacted my community in a big way. Not to mention the Latino gangs and their crimes.

moonsbreath on June 15, 2007 at 10:12 AM

So please correct these errors, as to not look like an amateur in the future.

freakagriep on June 15, 2007 at 8:51 AM

OK… let’s break it down. If I understand you, your argument is as follows:

1. All criminal behavior is illegal. (I think we can agree so far);
2. But not all illegal behavior is criminal (you’re standing on quicksand here).
3. Therefore, not all “illegals” are “criminals.”

Begin with a simple dictionary definiton: A “crime” is an act that is forbidden by law, or the omission of a duty that is commanded by law, both of which are punishable in the breach. You can look it up.

So… if you break the speed limit as per your analogy above, you are committing an act forbidden by law and yes, that’s a “crime.” That’s why the cop is authorized to pull you over, write you a ticket and issue you a court summons, and treat you like a “criminal.”

Similarly, to enter and/or remain this country as a non-citizen you are required to get a visa – you have a duty, in other words. And if you don’t get one, you have omitted that duty and have thereby committed a “crime.” That’s why ICE can apprehend you, deport you, and treat you like a “criminal.”

So yes, if you are in this country “illegally” you have in fact committed a “crime.” “Criminals” are those who commit “crimes.” Your distinction-without-a-difference reasoning is the type of red-herring sophistry I grew to despise in my first year of law school. And yet you call others “amateurs.” You got a lotta nerve, though, I’ll give you that.

Spurius Ligustinus on June 15, 2007 at 10:12 AM

freakagriep

For arguments sake, we’ll say crossing the border is not a crime. However, each time you fill out a form and submit personal information that is false, that is called “fraud” and that is a crime.

No one talks about the identities of people that have been stolen and lives ruined due to this.

moonsbreath on June 15, 2007 at 10:18 AM

see-dubya on June 15, 2007 at 5:11 AM

Nearly every debate I’ve had with open borders advocates has been concerned with keeping that person on any kind of logical course of discussion, without tugging our heartstrings or dragging the discussion down into the emotion pit, there isn’t much opposition substance.

Actually Michelle didn’t descend in the theatrics that Geraldo did, she did bust him for trying to operate on on and emotional level and debate takes two to tango if your opponent refuses to go point-counterpoint as Geraldo does then to a certain extent you have to answer that emotional response.

I would love to see a more substantive debate to get that though Geraldos’ not your man, I would like to see Armando Navaro come to BO and debate Michelle, though I doubt he would because he’s superior (just ask him).
He’s a professor but I would bet he runs a coward into the emotional abyss just like the rest have.

Speakup on June 15, 2007 at 10:24 AM

How many illegal aliens can Geraldo smuggle into the country at one time by hiding them in his mustache?

thirteen28 on June 15, 2007 at 11:27 AM

Speakup on June 15, 2007 at 10:24 AM

Grammatical errors are why you shouldn’t try to write while rushing to get ready for work.

Speakup on June 15, 2007 at 11:39 AM

ctmom on June 15, 2007 at 8:33 AM

I know a guy who runs a a business with about 14 illegals. He told me that every once and a while someone from the IRS(I’m assuming IRS) tells him that one of his employees has an invalid SS#. So they let him go. The Illegal Alien drives down to Traders Village in Grand Prarie get a new DL and ss#. I think it use to be like $150 to $200 but it may have gone up. He shows back up at the business they rehire him as somebody else. Never ending cycle! The sad thing is there are some illegal workers that if he didn’t have them he probably wouldn’t be in business. He said if he had to pay for these particular employees to go through the process of getting documented and paying a fine it would be worth it. It’s hard to let go of employees who are so dedicated and appreciative for the work when now a days you see so much indifference from employees especially younger ones.

Drtuddle on June 15, 2007 at 11:50 AM

I’m late to the party again.

Dems didn’t have any problem kicking that little cuban kid out

tomas on June 14, 2007 at 8:40 PM

A reference to the sad and shameful Janet Reno — Elian Gonzalez fiasco, I presume. You’re right. It doesn’t hurt to remind everyone of the Dhimmicrats’ glaring hypocrisy on these sorts of issues.

As for Geraldo, he’s been “all fluff and no stuff” for as long as I can remember. The guy is nothing but a big bag of flaming hyperbole. Michelle hit the nail on the head when she mentioned narcissism. Narcissus is thy name Geraldo. The man is a such a shameless opportunist, even the lawyers think that he is embarassing (and THEY have NO shame). They should have sent him to Gitmo when they kicked him out of Iraq in 2003. That would have saved me from having to suffer through his shameless exploitation and exhibitionism when he “covered” the Katrina disaster in 2005. I loathe the man — or should I say “girlie-man”? Perhaps it is a shortcoming on my part since, for some reason, I can’t seem to appreciate the entertainment value found in his looney misrepresentation of every single news story that comes along — at least not in the same way that AllahPundit appreciates Rosie O’Donnell. More often than not, when Geraldo appears, I turn the idiot box off. Am I weak because Geraldo’s appearance instantaneously invokes queasiness and nausea?

CyberCipher on June 15, 2007 at 11:57 AM

Spurius Ligustinus on June 15, 2007 at 9:00 AM

My petite but formidable g/f is a big fan of the expression “small like dynamite”, and it applies in this case too.

ReubenJCogburn on June 15, 2007 at 12:13 PM

Its not a battle, Geraldo is a sentimental wet paper bag and Bill O’Reilly has gone SOFT.

Michelle needs to take over on The Factor.

americaslaststand on June 15, 2007 at 12:33 PM

ctmom on June 15, 2007 at 8:33 AM

Or you can go to a 7-Eleven store in Falls Church, Va.

Which would have been a good fact in the debate. I realize there wasn’t time. Though a comment to pre-911 thinking was made by MM to illegal immigration. Then Geraldo blue a blodd vessel in his head!

Drtuddle on June 15, 2007 at 12:39 PM

Hubby and I watched (most) of this last night, and as usual, I think Michelle cleaned Geraldo’s clock.

All he can scream is ‘racist!’ and Michelle counters with facts. It’s great.

Are Geraldo’s ratings in the toilet? If he’s worthy of a show, Allah and Michelle are worth an entire channel!

linlithgow on June 15, 2007 at 12:53 PM

Michelle!! You thrashed Geraldo without mercy, went straight for the jugular and on top of everything you turned his own projected racism against him!! How deliciously evil! I’d propose to you now if you weren’t already married!

Pestilence on June 15, 2007 at 1:08 PM

Michelle I am so proud of you. That was your most brightest display of debate I have ever seen you involved in. You crushed Geraldo’s ignorance brilliantly.

msipes on June 15, 2007 at 1:30 PM

Michelle needs to take over on The Factor.

americaslaststand on June 15, 2007 at 12:33 PM

Man, isn’t that the truth.

Bill has become a total pee you ess ess why with a capital ‘P’, one who stakes out ‘middle’ positions for the sake of showing that he’s really an independent. Thus, in addition to the above-referenced pejorative, he’s also a total phony.

Michelle’s appearance on his show is about the only reason to watch anymore, which is why I just tune into the videos here instead.

thirteen28 on June 15, 2007 at 1:43 PM

MM,
you were logical, professional, credible and completely fair. Kudo’s to you!
Geralso is a racists plain and simple!

Bearhopi on June 15, 2007 at 2:00 PM

28% of violent Federal Inmates are illegal Hispanics. That is a crime rate 6 times the national average, double that of Black males.

pat on June 15, 2007 at 2:11 PM

For those too young to catch my refrence…

The Secret of Al Capone’s Vault

My little brother was 1 year old at the time, so many won’t remember.

But seriously, this was back in the days of 4 major network television networks, and Geraldo was built up to be the next Howard Carter at Tutankhmun’s tomb…. But instead of “Wonderful Things” Geraldo found…

Some empty gin bottles.

I actually watched the thing when I was a kid. The shocking level of disappointment after the unjustified promotion for that event was a defining moment remains with me to this day.

Geraldo mentally scarred millions of impressionable members of Generation Y. Perhaps that explains why far more of my peers than those of other generations demand actual results, and not mere empty promises.

Jones Zemkophill on June 15, 2007 at 2:13 PM

Hmm talk about population transfer. The irony is killing me.

.”

Exactly! The blatant hypocrisy of the OBL and the racist canard is more then I can stand. Just what exactly is LaRaza, MEChA, LULAC et al?

Great job Michelle!

Altura Ct. on June 15, 2007 at 2:19 PM

Michelle SPANKED Geraldo.

CrimsonFisted on June 14, 2007 at 8:38 PM

And I think he liked it.

He kept going back for more.

Lawrence on June 15, 2007 at 2:35 PM

Didn’t Michelle invoke 9/11? I believe that would qualify as an emotional argument. Implying Rivera represents the “liberal side” is ridiculous anyway…conservatives and liberals alike are united in thinking he’s a total douchebag.

so would it have been better for him to interrupt her rather than sigh? I guess you would think so because Malkin certaintly had no problem interrupting him.

crr6 on June 15, 2007 at 2:50 PM

doriangrey on June 15, 2007 at 12:23 AM

I stand corrected: “With apologies to twits, everywhere.”

Jaibones on June 15, 2007 at 4:47 PM

Spurius Ligustinus

Ok, if you can point to the criminal code of the United States and prove me wrong, then go right ahead. But illegal immigration is not in the criminal code, and by definition, not a crime.

Not everything that is illegal is a crime. There’s a difference!

freakagriep on June 15, 2007 at 6:34 PM

Furthermore, if you get a speeding ticket, you do not have a “criminal record.” If you get a parking ticket, it doesn’t go on your “criminal record.”

freakagriep on June 15, 2007 at 6:49 PM

I’ll save S.L. the trouble:

Check out US CODE:
TITLE 8 > CHAPTER 12 > SUBCHAPTER II > Part II > § 1182
TITLE 8 > CHAPTER 12 > SUBCHAPTER II > Part IV > § 1226
TITLE 8 > CHAPTER 12 > SUBCHAPTER II > Part IV > § 1227

LegendHasIt on June 15, 2007 at 7:04 PM

By the way, in some jurisdictions, exceeding the speed limit by over a certain number of MPH IS considered a crime. And they WILL take you directly to jail, and keep you there until you can make bail or appear before a judge under CRIMINAL charges, and it will go on your ‘criminal record’ in that jurisdiction.

LegendHasIt on June 15, 2007 at 7:12 PM

Uhh…where does it say that all illegal immigrants are criminals, and commit a crime every day just by being here? That’s what Bryan said. It’s not there dude.

freakagriep on June 15, 2007 at 7:15 PM

ctmom on June 15, 2007 at 8:33 AM

I was told a few years ago that illegal aliens can get something called a tax ID number. It is not a SSN, but it IS a form of ID for the purpose of tax payment. So some illegal aliens DO pay taxes, based on the explanation given to me.

The False Dervish on June 15, 2007 at 9:39 PM

And I thought Joey Buttafuoco was the supreme idiot.

Nope, Not while Geraldo has a platform.

Texyank on June 15, 2007 at 10:57 PM

Heh Heh Did someone say Joey Buttafuoco?

sonnyspats1 on June 16, 2007 at 7:31 PM

The existing rules and regulations that apply to all immigrants apply to the illegals. These are the standards that have to be met to qualify for US citizenship. Period end of story. Whats all the hub bub. The Mexicans have invaded this country and are now kicking up a shit storm to try and belie the facts. The whole lot of them need to go back to square one and respect the sovereignty of the US. This is equivalent to a military invasion and we as citizens should not hesitate to turn these people over to the authorities. There is a criminal element to Geraldo’s rat/snitch remarks. Geraldo buy a vowel it’s called honesty! MM is totally right to emphasize the importance of this issue. It is amazing how Geraldo exposes his dishonest core on National TV.

sonnyspats1 on June 16, 2007 at 7:47 PM

Sonnyspats1:

Our national sovereignity will not be respected because our very own civil self servants DO NOT RESPECT our sovereignity. Look at Bush, especially! He is interested in his own legacy now. He wants to look good, and those RePUBICHAIRicans who go along with amnesty are hoping that they will not only be viewed favorably and get the Latin vote, but they are also answering to their corporate masters who favor…SLAVE LABOR.

It is unbelievable the damage being done to our country from BOTH political parties.

How strange. Some years ago, Al Gore was SCREAMING that Bush lied and betrayed America (concerning WMD). Well, it seems to me that this has come true concerning our national sovereignity, border security, the rule of law, and our culture/heritage as a nation. At the risk of sounding pornographic, here in the city they sell a GOOD BUSH/BAD BUSH T-shirt. I am VERY TEMPTED to purchase it and to wear it….EL PRESIDENTE JORGE BUSH!!!!

As far as Geraldo is concerned, perhaps we should not be too harsh with him. After all, by him demonstrating his DISHONESTY, he is actually showing how honest he really is…WHEN IT COMES TO APPEASEMENT, PC, BORDER ANACHARY, AND RECONQUISTADORE BOWEL MOVEMENT.

Thank God for the boss. Also, let us also be grateful for Mark Levin and Laura Ingraham who also inform us accordingly.

The False Dervish on June 17, 2007 at 10:25 AM

My favorite line, “I hear you groaning now, Geraldo.”

wryteacher on June 17, 2007 at 11:34 AM

Jerry got spanked HARD, but the poor dumb bastid even realize it.

Jack.