Denis Leary blasts Truthers

posted at 10:13 pm on June 13, 2007 by Bryan

It’s been a bad day in the warmongering business. The Golden Mosque in Samarra is no more. Conspiracy theorists finally get their inside job–over a dozen Iraqi police officers were allegedly involved. In the PA, Hamas is about to win the civil war that no one outside the blogs will actually call a civil war. That means Israel is likely to face a two-sided war this summer, with Hamas on one side and Hezbollah on the other. And in Lebanon, not only is Hezbollah resurgent and a civil war is brewing out of those Palestinian refugee camps, but there has been another political assassination of an anti-Syrian politician. Not only are the terrorists everywhere likely to be emboldened when we abandon Iraq–they’re emboldened right now.

So we’ll take victories wherever we can get them these days, and we got a minor one on CNN tonight. Denis Leary appeared on Glenn Beck’s show tonight and took some truth to the Truthers and the Queen of All Truthers, Rosie O’Donnell.

Leary bookended this sane segment with some slaps at Elisabeth Hasselbeck and President Bush, the latter of which I’m no longer inclined to defend. But going after the fair Elisabeth? If he wasn’t so solidly right on Trutherism, he’d be dead to me.

Comments

And he’s a devout Liberal.

amerpundit on June 13, 2007 at 10:31 PM

Leary’s not dumb enough to alienate his cop and fire fighter audience.

(From what I know about him – admittedly, not THAT much – he’s a lefty, but not an idiot.)

Farmer_Joe on June 13, 2007 at 10:32 PM

and Li’l Bush debuts tonight. I was going to check it out, but the first 90 seconds were so annoying and juvenile I changed the channel.

reaganaut on June 13, 2007 at 10:33 PM

I don’t know it’s a fair statement. The same people that call Bush an idiot are the ones that jump all over this Trutherism stuff. Which is it? Is he the greatest conspiracy mastermind in the history of the world or an absolute idiot?

bj1126 on June 13, 2007 at 10:37 PM

And he’s a devout Liberal.

Is he really? From what I’ve heard of him, he doesn’t seem that way.

lorien1973 on June 13, 2007 at 10:52 PM

He’s right, talk to the people who were down there.

“The most important operational decision to be made that afternoon was the collapse (Of the WTC towers) had damaged 7 World Trade Center, which is about a 50 story building, at Vesey between West Broadway and Washington Street. It had very heavy fire on many floors and I ordered the evacuation of an area sufficient around to protect our members, so we had to give up some rescue operations that were going on at the time and back the people away far enough so that if 7 World Trade did collapse, we [wouldn't] lose any more people. We continued to operate on what we could from that distance and approximately an hour and a half after that order was [given], at 5:30 in the afternoon, World Trade Center collapsed completely” – Chief Daniel Nigro

Too bad many 9/11 Deniers think the NYFD were paid off. Alex Jones already stated on his website that the NYFD should be charged with Manslaughter and Jason Bermas of Loose Change said on video that they were paid off.

MarkyX on June 13, 2007 at 10:53 PM

Hey, anyone with a track on their comedy CD entitled, um, “‘Screw’ the Kennedys” is all right with me.

Slublog on June 13, 2007 at 10:53 PM

bj1126 on June 13, 2007 at 10:37 PM

I call Bush an idiot… but that’s mostly because he uses the pseudo-word “nuke-u-ler” in public speeches.

Lehosh on June 13, 2007 at 10:54 PM

What is this obsession people have with the pronunciation of the word “nuclear”? Who the hell cares!

Jim-Rose on June 13, 2007 at 11:04 PM

That’s been one of my main points against this stupid a** conspiracy…the President is ruthless enough to take down a building full of Americans but he comes up with one of the most flaccid ROE’s in recent memory. Kill Americans, no problem, but we have to call 3 government lawyers before we can shoot an insurgent. Bullsh*t. I guess one of the jobs that Americans won’t do is come up with decent conspiracy theories anymore.

austinnelly on June 13, 2007 at 11:27 PM

Denis Leary didn’t blast Truthers.

BUZZ ALDRIN BLASTS TRUTHERS!

fusionaddict on June 13, 2007 at 11:31 PM

I’m not sure if he’s a lefty, righty, or just exercising common sense to which the truthers seem to have no grasp of. But with all that’s going on in the middle east, truthers seem to use their logic of 911 as the literal hole in the ground to stick their head in.

Well, maybe where the sun don’t shine is more like it.

Kini on June 13, 2007 at 11:36 PM

Where did he slap down Elisabeth? I heard the Bush-hit (and can’t disagree), but not the other.

laelaps on June 13, 2007 at 11:37 PM

fusionaddict on June 13, 2007 at 11:31 PM

Da guy has a nice right hook!

I declare a national day of truther punching! Or at the least, a harsh taunting.

Kini on June 13, 2007 at 11:40 PM

fusionaddict on June 13, 2007 at 11:31 PM

Oh Man that is BLEEPINS beutiful! Bleeping Beautiful!

Leary is pretty much a Lefty. If you saw the whole interview, it’s clear. He’s a typical Boston Lefty though – a guy who’s a Dem because his parents were Boston Irish Dems who worshiped JFK and RFK. What they don’t yet realize is the Dems left them a long time ago.

TheBigOldDog on June 13, 2007 at 11:43 PM

My local grocer has more persuasive arguments than Leary and he doesn’t know or quote anyone in the NYFD. Our grocers are smarter than their grocers. They have better fresh fruit, too.

Dusty on June 13, 2007 at 11:55 PM

Where did he slap down Elisabeth?

For street cred, most likely.

Jim-Rose on June 14, 2007 at 12:28 AM

Anyone with any critical thinking skills will tell you that the civil war between Fatah and Hamas is not only good for Israel but for the West in general. Not only does it keep the animals busy killing each other but for once the mostly anti-Semitic Europeans are taking notice of how their “heroes” are really like. Kind of hard to back the Palestinians when they’re throwing each other off of buildings.

Capitalist Infidel on June 14, 2007 at 1:33 AM

I can respect people of the left and people of the right whenever they can agree on reality.

I don’t care where Denis lies politically. He puts out good art, and he has an obvious deep respect for those doing their jobs that day (and every day before and since).

askheaves on June 14, 2007 at 3:40 AM

I used to make fun of the fact that the Democrats were blissfully unaware that their party had left them standing…. used to. As for Leary and the truthers I’ll respect non moonbat type thinking anywhere I can find it these days.

Buzzy on June 14, 2007 at 5:08 AM

Denis Leary is such a good guy he donated the extra “n” in his name to some poor kid who didn’t have one.

Thompson/Leary 2008!

saint kansas on June 14, 2007 at 6:27 AM

I’ll respect non moonbat type thinking anywhere I can find it these days.

Yep. Right now, I don’t care what letter is after your name, if you are non-moonbatty, you are my compadre. Go Denis!

Ellen on June 14, 2007 at 6:32 AM

He used to be a self-described libertarian, but he does seem to have swung left since then. Didn’t he appear at a John Kerry event during the last election?

I love the hard work and support he’s given the 9/11 firefighters, but I still say he stole Bill Hicks’s career.

Tanya on June 14, 2007 at 7:51 AM

If you are a liberal and you don’t pander to the extreme leftist, then you are not a liberal.

BohicaTwentyTwo on June 14, 2007 at 8:18 AM

I wonder if he is related to Timothy Leary, who is dead. When Tom Hanks comes out against the truthers, call me.

dingoatemebaby on June 14, 2007 at 8:22 AM

Several NYFD I know spent a lot of time with Leary when Rescue Me was in development and they say he’s a great guy. He even named several characters in the show after them.

His cousin was a Worcester fireman who was killed along with five other firement in a blaze set by some homeless about seven or eight years ago.

I don’t agree with all his viewpoints, but big deal. When it comes to common sense, he has it.

What he needs to do is smack Daniel Sunjata, one of his co-stars, upside the head, since Sunjata is a Truther.

JammieWearingFool on June 14, 2007 at 8:37 AM

Excellent point Bryan!

Egfrow on June 14, 2007 at 8:54 AM

Happily, most lefties still don’t buy into the whole “truther” thing. In the long run, I still say this issue hurts the left if it becomes a litums test for their candidates. Can you imagine the backlash if Hillary Rod or Obama accused the NYFD of being in on a 9/11 conspiracy? We can dream, I suppose.

Clearly its biggest with left-nut bloggers, and therefore probably shows up on our radar more often than it does in the “real” world, but I could be wrong.

doufree on June 14, 2007 at 8:55 AM

He’s a Democrat, not a liberal.

natesnake on June 14, 2007 at 9:12 AM

Buzz…man, my new hero!

Malpaso on June 14, 2007 at 9:14 AM

Lehosh on June 13, 2007 at 10:54 PM

It’s not a pseudo word. It’s just a mispronunciation.

However, I do think Leary has a point. As others have said, the same people who think Bush did 9-11 are the same who think he’s too stupid to do much of anything.

Esthier on June 14, 2007 at 9:16 AM

EXCELLENT JAB AT BUSHIE, though, at the end.

seejanemom on June 14, 2007 at 9:48 AM

Am I missing something?
Saw this at the R blog
“Lisa writes:
DENNIS LEARY on Glenn Beck tonight so totally loving you and sticking up for you . It made me happy to hear him say the nice things I feel about you on TV ABOUT TIME. I realize this will be flushed .

i love dennis leary

PattyAnn on June 14, 2007 at 10:45 AM

In light of Leary’s charity work on behalf of firefighters and their families, I’m inclined to put stock in his sincerity. And let’s face it, the government could never pull off a thing like this. These are the same people who think a missile and not a plane went into the Pentagon, despite what half the population of Arlington saw with their own eyes in the final seconds before impact.

Not to mention Arlington’s firefighters who saw the wreckage.

Thompson/Leary 2008!

saint kansas on June 14, 2007 at 6:27 AM

If Steele doesn’t get on the ticket as VP candidate, I could live with this.

manwithblackhat on June 14, 2007 at 10:52 AM

The Denis & Denis show. Between Leary and Miller we’d have some moments.

Mojave Mark on June 14, 2007 at 11:30 AM

BUZZ ALDRIN BLASTS TRUTHERS!

fusionaddict on June 13, 2007 at 11:31 PM

That ROCKED!!! Take’im down, Buzz!!

tickleddragon on June 14, 2007 at 12:38 PM

I think of trutherism this way… It’s one of those topics, that when brought up by a person, automatically clues me into the fact that they are an idiot. VERY helpful.

“9/11 was a conspiracy, eh?” GULLIBLE MORON ALERT – nod smile and walk away. No further credibiliity afforded to subject.

tickleddragon on June 14, 2007 at 12:41 PM

He always seemed like more of a libertarian to me. He’s one of those guys that I don’t care what his politics are, I like him anyway, and Rescue Me is awesome.

bmac on June 14, 2007 at 1:01 PM

TheBigOldDog on June 13, 2007 at 11:43 PM

No, Denis Leary was born and raised in Worcester, MA, and went to Emerson College in Boston.

kiakjones on June 14, 2007 at 1:27 PM

Rescue Me is awesome.

bmac on June 14, 2007 at 1:01 PM

It is awesome……check it out people!

VikingGoneWild on June 14, 2007 at 1:41 PM

Denis is a good guy. “I’m an A**hole” was one of a great many tracks where he goes after the liberal/leftist gods. From his entire body of work, he didn’t mean that song ironically, just a tiny bit of hyperbole. Rescue Me is a great show, and while he may be tribally Dem (and supporting a local boy as well) he’s a good guy who’s on the right side of most issues stuck in an industry where beinig a republican is hard, especially for a lower tier guy like Leary.

libertarianuberalles on June 14, 2007 at 1:54 PM

I think it’s actually brilliant on Bush’s part that he says “nuke-U-lar”. For a guy who grew up with oil money, in a powerful political family, in the most exclusive private and ivey league schools to sound “folksy”…? People eat that up! And have you noticed now how many older men pronounce it that way on purpose now? No one else in his family talks like that. Jeb doesn’t. George HW doesn’t. Barbara doesn’t. Sheer brilliance on his part.

foxforce91 on June 14, 2007 at 1:58 PM

And he’s a devout Liberal.

amerpundit on June 13, 2007 at 10:31 PM

Where do you get that from?

He seems pretty clearly to be a social libertarian with some pretty conservative and hawkish views on a whole range of other issues.

He may well vote Democratic – after all he’s a union guy, a firefighter guy, and they tend to.

But I suspect he loathes actual espresso-drinking Volvo-driving Hillary-supporting liberals more than you do.

Professor Blather on June 14, 2007 at 2:16 PM

Denis Leary didn’t blast Truthers.

BUZZ ALDRIN BLASTS TRUTHERS!

fusionaddict on June 13, 2007 at 11:31 PM

Dude, I so owe you a beer.

Watching that made my whole week. I’m still laughing. That mealy-mouthed, whiny-voiced walking-stereotype of the absolute worst of liberalism … and that right hook to the face … WOW.

We just don’t make men like Buzz Aldrin and his generation any more, do we? What a guy.

Seriously. If you look up “awesome” in the dictionary, it should have a link to that video.

Professor Blather on June 14, 2007 at 2:23 PM

Hey FusionAddict:

You might enjoy some of this, too. I love the astronaut that kicks him in the ass:

Professor Blather on June 14, 2007 at 2:30 PM

Hey FusionAddict:

Professor Blather on June 14, 2007 at 2:30 PM

*satisfied sigh* That was wonderful…

tickleddragon on June 14, 2007 at 2:48 PM

fusionaddict-

Kudos! And thanks for that link!

Made a gloomily Bush-whacked day a lot brighter!

When someone calls you a “coward and a liar” in public, smack them silly.

You go Buzz!

(Can we aim him at GWB, who is calling us names, next?)

profitsbeard on June 14, 2007 at 3:11 PM

Sheer brilliance on his part.

foxforce91 on June 14, 2007 at 1:58 PM

You’ve gotta be smart to act that stupid.

Nonfactor on June 14, 2007 at 10:39 PM