Tommy Chong: The GOP-run media is using Parisgate as a distraction

posted at 8:28 am on June 11, 2007 by Allahpundit

An anxious Hot Air readership wonders: Is AP really going to clip the video of Baba Wawa talking about Paris on “The View” today?

I guess you’ll have to check back later to find out, won’t you?

In the meantime, here’s Chong proving conclusively that long-term marijuana use causes brain damage. Bonus points: He seems to hint that MSNBC, a.k.a. Olby’s network, is part of the Republican-controlled media.

Update: A commenter asks a good question. What was he doing on the air in the first place during Parismania? How did that happen? “Jim, let’s see if we can line up some legal experts to talk about the terms of her probation. Oh, and let’s get Tommy Chong.”

Comments

Man…more than 30 years after Big Bamboo was released, and he still cracks me up.

flipflop on June 11, 2007 at 8:31 AM

The reporter should have responded, “you don’t watch our network very much, do you?”

Damian P. on June 11, 2007 at 8:33 AM

To what inconceivable depth has a show sunk when it schedules Tommy Chong- and considers that a plus?

wccawa on June 11, 2007 at 8:33 AM

Was he dropping off Olby’s bong when someone decided to put him on the air? Ridiculous.

jaleach on June 11, 2007 at 8:40 AM

“But on the other hand, pot is the best recreational substance for teenagers, athletes, people who have naturally high adrenaline.” – Tommy Chong

Absolute moral authority.

Limerick on June 11, 2007 at 8:48 AM

Tommy Chong: “Not what you expected”

Me: “au contraire”

Jeff on June 11, 2007 at 8:55 AM

Not what you expected and she agrees. What the hell did “the Contessa” think they were getting with Chong. What is she smoking?

Wade on June 11, 2007 at 8:57 AM

This moron is a perfect example of a catostrophic synaptic failure. Although I must admit that he blends well with that MSNBC gaggle.

rplat on June 11, 2007 at 8:59 AM

Dave’s not here, man!

fusionaddict on June 11, 2007 at 9:05 AM

Take the reds, man.

Jaibones on June 11, 2007 at 9:09 AM

Who really cares what Tommy Chong thinks about Paris Hilton. How do you even connect those two? I knew something like this would come up. I’m waiting for the tin-foil hats to start saying that Paris is a working for Bushitler to distract the masses from Iraq and the border situation. It will happen…watch.

vcferlita on June 11, 2007 at 9:11 AM

fusionaddict on June 11, 2007 at 9:05 AM

No man, I’m Dave, man…

doriangrey on June 11, 2007 at 9:12 AM

Rae Dawn Chong was unavailable for comment.

JammieWearingFool on June 11, 2007 at 9:13 AM

Pathetic.

DoctorDentons on June 11, 2007 at 9:16 AM

Too bad Sister Mary Elephant couldn’t come by and whack him with the paddle.

JammieWearingFool on June 11, 2007 at 9:19 AM

Tommy Chong, Ha! Dave’s not here man!

Well, Hannity had that great military and foreign policy commentator MC Hammer on his show yesterday talking about how we need to pull our troops etc…..Sheesh!

debi118 on June 11, 2007 at 9:19 AM

And people have the nerve to tell me the democrats aren’t imploding.

“…Paging Mr. Cooper….Mr. Gary Cooper….”

james hooker on June 11, 2007 at 9:21 AM

He almost makes Ozzy Osborne look smart. Let’s say it again folks, “There is no proof that long term marijuana use causes brain damage”.

MarkM on June 11, 2007 at 9:28 AM

Oh yeah…. Bush runs the media, everyday he calls up ABC, CBS, NBC and CNN and tell them to run another wonderful story about him and what a great job he is doing. Oh yeah… Bush runs the media… better believe it !

Maxx on June 11, 2007 at 9:32 AM

Wow, that entire interview was so far out man. Who has the brilliant idea to bring on this old hippie and try to discuss anything of merit? He blames the whole thing on the Republicans?
Next time they should interview that guy that lives at the bus station in the next town. I’m sure he would have some really wonderful ideas to share.

hoosierken on June 11, 2007 at 9:39 AM

No wonder Cheech went solo a long time ago.

But, how do these people get on the air? What sort of news man or woman wants to be known as the reporter who put someone such as Chong on a news show?

doufree on June 11, 2007 at 9:41 AM

I fully expect Tommy Chong to be filled to brim with Stupid Juice but I don’t care, the guy is funny as hell.

Actually, I’d be disappointed if he wasn’t full of half-baked conspiracy theories. Would be a total buzzkill.

Mindcrime on June 11, 2007 at 9:45 AM

when paris got put in jail, a black guy at work said that Bush did it to distract the media because he’s trying to get a racist judge put on the court, I think its Pickering(not racist of course)….then the next day when they took her back he to jail he kept saying it was Bush and he was up to something then started telling this co-worker all these conspiracy theories he claimed were “documented” like the Bush family being a big drug family and that the Vietnam war was over Rubber and control and the Bush family was in that…it was crazy and the scary thing is this guy is otherwise halfway intelligent.

jp on June 11, 2007 at 9:52 AM

anyone with access to Lexis that can look up California records and find out what Paris party affiliation is? Assuming she’s registered? I’ve also heard she’s a repub. and others said a Dem?

jp on June 11, 2007 at 9:57 AM

dumb and dumber

mjkazee on June 11, 2007 at 10:00 AM

Considering that she’s Hollywood glitterati, the chances of her being a genuine conservative/Republican are pretty slim, I’m guessing. Very few right-wing Personalities in Hollywood survive the winnowing process. I think the night clubs and movie studios have some sort of Leftie Litmus test you have to take before they even let you in the door.

Mindcrime on June 11, 2007 at 10:00 AM

Now that’s where an old pot head met George Soros for breakfast.

Speakup on June 11, 2007 at 10:02 AM

Priceless…”Have you smoked anything today?”

Well, I’m a registered Republican, but I never received any info on how we control the media…must have gotten lost in the mail.

JetBoy on June 11, 2007 at 10:09 AM

“When paris got put in jail, a black guy at work…”

Yeah, and Irish guy told me the same thing after this Italian guy did. Luckily I knew their ethnicities so that their was “context” for their statements. At least that’s what I told this Asian guy…

Rob Taylor on June 11, 2007 at 10:21 AM

I just invited Tommy, Janeane Garofolo and Tim Robbins up to my school to talk about the thermodynamic solubility of carbon nanotubes.

It’s not like they’ll know what they’re talking about here, either.

Nethicus on June 11, 2007 at 10:25 AM

When did the GOP get control of the media away from the Jews? At the last world domination meeting I was at, they said nothing about this.

smellthecoffee on June 11, 2007 at 10:32 AM

The paper here runs a little celebrity sound bite every day. I asked an editor I know that works there why they do it. “They’re inane, it’s like they haven’t two brains cells to rub together”, I said. “Exactly”, she said.

As for why they brought Tommy Chong on? Two possibilities I can think of and they tend to coincide. One, it’s fun to put dim bulb celebrities on show so everyone can have a laugh. Two, it makes the news folks look bright in comparison.

Having Chong on almost completely distracted me from noticing that the interviewer was barely holding her own in the debate. But I’ll give her the benefit of the doubt and think she was being gracious to her guest.

Dusty on June 11, 2007 at 10:33 AM

vcferlita on June 11, 2007 at 9:11 AM

When this first started, I told my wife that “she who will not be named” would turn this into a media boon. She’ll get a clothing line, a perfume, or some other benefit. She pointed out that “she who will not be named” already has a perfume. So it begins with Baba Wawa and will end with? Oprah? Dr Phil? Another reality show?

Tommy Chong is another one of those celebrities who should just shut the hell up and do his act.

csdeven on June 11, 2007 at 10:42 AM

Tommy who?

foxforce91 on June 11, 2007 at 10:44 AM

Having the likes of Tommy Chong commenting on national news on ANYTHING proves that one should look first (and long and hard) at the Dems and Left to answer the questions about who calls the shots on the MSM.

naliaka on June 11, 2007 at 10:46 AM

Chong is a funny as hell pot head. What did the reporter expect? Intelligent conversation? Useful insight? Chong made his living being permanently detached from reality.

Guardian on June 11, 2007 at 10:46 AM

Cheech has gotten so respectable. What happened to Tommy?

Too much “magic dust.”

Mojave Mark on June 11, 2007 at 10:56 AM

Am I actually awake?

WisCon on June 11, 2007 at 10:57 AM

I can see it now….

“MSNBC presents a new hour-long show presenting the Right Side versus the Left Side. It’s Cheech Marin vs. Tommy Chong on ‘Cheech and Chongs Puffin’ Pundits”.”

Nethicus on June 11, 2007 at 11:04 AM

Dave’s Tommy’s not here, man!

fusionaddict on June 11, 2007 at 9:05 AM

Updated for relevance.

;-)

infidel4life on June 11, 2007 at 11:24 AM

Ok, my damned old computer won’t load the video, but I’m thinking I need to turn to msnbc for comedy hour…?

4shoes on June 11, 2007 at 11:28 AM

one brain cell left and it’s only firing on and off occasionaly.
Geez…..

CBarker on June 11, 2007 at 11:44 AM

Claaaaaaaas…

Claaaaaaaaaaaasss…

SHUT UP!

Kensington on June 11, 2007 at 11:48 AM

Video seems to be hung up at the moment, but if the title is accurate…. WTF?! Yeah, it’s us GOPers who are obsessed with this story.. riiiiiiiiight. I’d like to see a poll done of people who buy the tabloid magazines (including Inquirer, People, Star, etc. etc.) I don’t care how irresponsible this sounds, but I would put on money on the fact that 70%+ of those who have a political identification and buy this crap (and watch shows like Entertainment Tonight, etc.) are libs. Does anyone think I’m wrong?

RightWinged on June 11, 2007 at 12:59 PM

Does anyone think I’m wrong?

I’m thinking you’ve guessed low.

TexasDan on June 11, 2007 at 1:14 PM

Tommy can you see me?

Crap, wrong Tommy.

Kini on June 11, 2007 at 2:09 PM

Tommy Chong and Cheech Marin are actually both health nuts who don’t do drugs themselves if i remember right. So that’s all natural stupid right there.

forged rite on June 11, 2007 at 2:52 PM

forged rite on June 11, 2007 at 2:52 PM

They were both amateur body builders, but both had been strongly pro-pot throughout the time that they worked together, and that was not the only illicit chemical either had ingested. I think you’d have a hard time getting Cheech Marin to be seen in the same place as Tommy nowadays, as one has changed his worldview where the other has not.

This wasn’t scripted at all, nooooo…the reporter let’s the guest ask HER the tough questions? Yeah, that’s always the way news works.

No, this was a prepared disinformation campaign meant to remind the viewers of the evils of the administration, veiled behind the sensationalism of the Hilton bazaar.

Her jail sentence stemmed from a parole violation after not simply a DUI, but a series of failures to obey judges orders. She was already on a suspended sentence as well as a suspended license when she was caught again, under the influence again. So the “late for court” line is a lie, Tommy.

Brewer: “…she repeatedly broke her probation and drove without a license. And then the judge decided…”

Chong: “Whoa”

Brewer: “You know, she’s thumbing her nose at the law.”

Chong: “so she should go to jail for that?”

Brewer: “you don’t think she should have gone to jail for it?”

Chong: “Absolutely not.”

Drug-induced or natural, that’s some heavyweight stupid.

Freelancer on June 11, 2007 at 7:19 PM

Well, we know what he thinks about illegal immigrants.

Roll them up in hemp carpets pretend they’re outsized spliff props for his next Cheech &… film: “The Incredible Shrinking Brain“.

profitsbeard on June 11, 2007 at 11:27 PM