NYT ombudsman: JFK story ran on page 30 because editor questioned the timing

posted at 12:48 pm on June 10, 2007 by Allahpundit

Olby takes a lot of heat on this site but let’s never forget that the difference between him and the rest of the media is one of degree, not of kind. How high up do the similarities run? This high:

A decision by editors not to play charges of a terrorism plot at Kennedy Airport on Page 1 last Sunday puzzled me and some readers — and angered others. Among the questions raised: Was the paper properly skeptical of officialdom, in this case the Bush administration? Was it too skeptical, just because it was the Bush administration? Was a political agenda at work?…

I asked Marty Gottlieb, the weekend editor and the senior editor in the newsroom when the decision was made, and [managing editor John] Geddes, who made the call from home, for more detail about their thinking…

Gottlieb told me he was mindful of a history of orange alerts that came at politically convenient times and previous terror plots that wound up amounting to less than they first seemed. He mentioned the case of Jose Padilla, who was accused in 2002 of planning to detonate a radioactive bomb. Padilla’s arrest was announced by John Ashcroft, then the attorney general, in an unusual news conference via satellite from Moscow. After being held for years without charges, Padilla is now on trial in Miami, accused of conspiring to aid terrorists. A dirty bomb is no part of the case.

Was he also mindful of the fact that this bombshell dropped before noon on Saturday, the graveyard of the news cycle, and that there was absolutely nothing burning up the front page (except Bush’s own beloved amnesty bill) that it would have or could have distracted from?

Here’s another one from Allahpundit Studios, from my cubist period. I call it, “The Soft Trutherism of the Mainstream Media.”

maximum.jpg

Comments

I question the pagination.

saint kansas on June 10, 2007 at 12:50 PM

Does political convenient times mean any time in the Bush administration? How are NYT and Olby going to spin these if/when a Dem takes the WH in ’08 Oh, blame it on the previous administration, I forgot.

Spirit of 1776 on June 10, 2007 at 12:52 PM

I question the ethics.

amerpundit on June 10, 2007 at 12:55 PM

Can’t tell you how many times my wife and I have run into the closet and covered ourselves with a large foam pad because the tornado siren was sounding. Has a tornado ever hit the house? Nope. We’re still heading for the closet.

Artwork….’pointillism’….:)

Limerick on June 10, 2007 at 12:56 PM

Maybe Sheryl Crow can wipe her flat ass with the NYT instead of toilet tissue. That’s about all it’s worth.

SouthernGent on June 10, 2007 at 1:05 PM

I question the intelligence (smarts, not information).

rmgraha on June 10, 2007 at 1:09 PM

I question the NYT’s…

patriotism.
intellect.
ethics.
decency.
integrity.

MoxArgon on June 10, 2007 at 1:10 PM

Well, come on, you’d think the plot was in the same city as the paper, at the same airport the “journalists” frequent… oh wait….

reaganaut on June 10, 2007 at 1:12 PM

And those fools are the standard bearers of what’s newsworthy. God help us.

Kensington on June 10, 2007 at 1:13 PM

Actually, reading that again – there was nothing burning up pages 2 through 29 either was there? Is there ever?

reaganaut on June 10, 2007 at 1:15 PM

I question the pixelation.

Ron Paul!!11z!

Good Lt on June 10, 2007 at 1:19 PM

Here’s a radical proposal: How about they do what they get paid to do and report the f’ing facts?

Looks to me like they badly need Andrew Levy ombudding over at the Treason Times.

ReubenJCogburn on June 10, 2007 at 1:26 PM

AP- I’m waiting for your “Blue Period.”

harrison on June 10, 2007 at 1:27 PM

I question their sanity.

ahem on June 10, 2007 at 1:29 PM

I question their journalism.

Jaibones on June 10, 2007 at 1:31 PM

Did anyone know that the “Paris in Jail” song is a parody of Paris’ actual song?

I didn’t know until today!

lorien1973 on June 10, 2007 at 1:32 PM

According to those on the left side of the aisle, there is always some sort of political cloud hanging over the Bushitler Administration.

No matter what happens, they will question the timing.

Citizen Duck on June 10, 2007 at 1:44 PM

a parody of Paris’ actual song

She has actual songs? I remember some flap about her sister doing some hoedown thing on SNL once instead of singing but I didn’t know she “sang” too.

Laura on June 10, 2007 at 1:44 PM

Laura on June 10, 2007 at 1:44 PM
Never mind, my teenage daughter just told me that was some other floozy, not Paris. They all look alike to me.

Laura on June 10, 2007 at 1:45 PM

I question their questioning.

Reporters are supposed to sell papers.

Did putting this story 30 pages in sell more papers or not?

Isn’t that the deciding point they are supposed to be asking?

Not whether it will help Bush, but if it will benefit their employees and stockholders?

They must all be too rich to care.

profitsbeard on June 10, 2007 at 1:46 PM

NYT Bias? What Bias? /sacrasm off

P. James Moriarty on June 10, 2007 at 1:57 PM

Ed Koch: How the mighty have fallen.

Shy Guy on June 10, 2007 at 2:04 PM

I’m outraged.

But you knew that already.

Steve LLamabutcher on June 10, 2007 at 2:05 PM

Reporters are supposed to sell papers…
They must all be too rich to care.
profitsbeard on June 10, 2007 at 1:46 PM

Not rich – hungry for access and prestige. Anything they can do to sink this (or any other Republican administration) will increase their White House standing when they help crown a Democrat successor.

eeyore on June 10, 2007 at 2:06 PM

Here’s another one from Allahpundit Studios, from my cubist period.

…in which you take the “troubled, obsessed artist” stereotype to new heights!

calbear on June 10, 2007 at 2:09 PM

Ed Koch: How the mighty have fallen.

Shy Guy on June 10, 2007 at 2:04 PM

Thanks Shy Guy – that was a great article. I love Ed Koch. NY Pravda indeed.

The NYT still puts out good articles now and then. Their politics are so blatant though that “objective” can never be mentioned in the same sentence with NYT, unless that ownership changes. They can also not be “of record”.

Entelechy on June 10, 2007 at 2:32 PM

Forgot the art – the next version might be “vanished cubism”. The artist waning us off the Paris obsession…

Entelechy on June 10, 2007 at 2:37 PM

Can I say that Ann Coulter thinks that Tim McVeigh blew up the wrong building?

georgej on June 10, 2007 at 3:35 PM

They need to fire more people.

WisCon on June 10, 2007 at 5:23 PM

I hope AP doesn’t cut his ear off. Or anything since he and KP are on the outs.

csdeven on June 10, 2007 at 7:00 PM

>>since he and KP are on the outs.

HEY–are you comparing KP to a prostitute!!? Be cool!

Alex K on June 11, 2007 at 12:01 AM

Laura, that was Ashlee Simpson, sister of Jessica Simpson, who did the SNL hoedown.

Kensington on June 11, 2007 at 12:17 AM

I’m surprised he didn’t question the timing of 9/11. And have we forgotten this corrupt corporation used eminent domain to secure new headquarters that cost the public a billion dollars?

pat on June 11, 2007 at 12:19 AM

Alex K on June 11, 2007 at 12:01 AM

Being on the outs means they aren’t an item any longer.

csdeven on June 11, 2007 at 1:34 AM

The NYT has an agenda to further and they aren’t going to let something as insignificant as journalistic integrity get in the way.

csdeven on June 11, 2007 at 1:37 AM

Being on the outs means they aren’t an item any longer.

Van Gogh offered his severed ear to a prostitute he liked.

Alex K on June 11, 2007 at 1:49 AM

I question whether anyone but conservative monitors really reads them anymore or does their intended audience just lines their high-class bird cages with their obsolete pages.

deedledee on June 11, 2007 at 7:52 AM

Do I think political motives were at work? I can’t read minds, but I believe after talking with these editors that they were focused on the substance of the story, the facts.

Like, the fact that Bush Lied, People Died. And the fact that terrorism is only a Bumper Sticker Slogan, not a real threat… and the fact that Bush/Cheney/Halliburton caused 9/11 for their own gain.

And the fact that Bush is an idiot who also manipulates the entire media on a regular basis to force them to cover/ignore stories while dancing to his tune; while still being incapable of any rational thought… the idiot who keeps outsmarting them… BOOOOOSH NaziHitlerHalliburton NO BLOOD FOR OIL.

You know, just the facts…

gekkobear on June 11, 2007 at 12:14 PM

No, it was because he is a lying LIBERAL!

NRA4Freedom on June 12, 2007 at 2:09 PM

To completely miss the point of your post and quote from an issue of mental_floss. Cubism, strictly, has nothing to do with actual cubes or geometry and “everything to do with perspective”, erego breaking a photo into component cubes is not actually Picasso-style cubism. I think NYT’s sagging subscription numbers speaks volumes about its willingness to lose money if necessary.

apostle26 on June 12, 2007 at 4:51 PM