Video: The Alabama slammer

posted at 10:45 am on June 8, 2007 by Allahpundit

The dispute was bipartisan but alas, my friends, it was the Republican who came unhinged. Bishop, the puncher, says he was called an SOB; Barron, the punchee, denies it. As you’ll see, Bishop admits what he did was wrong but his understanding of its wrongness is perhaps unduly nuanced:

Bishop said he should not have hit him on the Senate floor, but that the Democratic Senator deserved to be punched, and that Bishop would do it again under the same circumstances…

“If he calls me that again, it will happen again,” he said.

The fight itself is as exciting as a fight between sexagenarians can be. Click the image to watch.

punch.jpg

Comments

Heck, if we had more of this sort of thing people would be much more polite. :)

Bob's Kid on June 8, 2007 at 10:50 AM

oh no you didn’t!

mojowire on June 8, 2007 at 10:51 AM

The best quote was this one “It’s certainly a black eye on the Legislature and the Senate in particular,” Republican Rep. Jay Love said.

This should happen more often, people think they can say whatever they want, and not be held accountable. Liberals would be a lot more soft spoken and respectful if they knew when they called someone a liar, racist,or baby killer they would lose a few teeth.

right2bright on June 8, 2007 at 10:52 AM

Reminds me of the Taiwanese Legislative Yuan. Ah, good times.

Mindcrime on June 8, 2007 at 10:52 AM

“I responded with my right hand…”

Heh.

Slublog on June 8, 2007 at 10:54 AM

Too much arm swing. . . put your shoulder into it!

MCPO Airdale on June 8, 2007 at 10:55 AM

Not hard enough… he was still conscious.

maintenanceman on June 8, 2007 at 10:56 AM

right2bright on June 8, 2007 at 10:52 AM

I suppose republicans who insisted on calling someone a traitor, liar or evil might learn to be a lot more soft spoken as well.

Bradky on June 8, 2007 at 10:56 AM

Call me a SOB to my face, you will get my right hand also. Good for this guy, I say. Wanna play big snot with words, better be prepared to back up what you have to say.

Wade on June 8, 2007 at 10:56 AM

Southerners. -AP

Ah come on Allah……this was just a couple of boys who grew up playing Fort Apache and not Barbie’s. Region didn’t matter. CA or GA boys will be boys.

Limerick on June 8, 2007 at 11:03 AM

Southerners. -AP

Yep. Where honor still matters, where biscuits come with gravy and where real grits don’t need cheese.

Come on, just a little dancing amongst the boys.

BacaDog on June 8, 2007 at 11:10 AM

MCPO Airdale on June 8, 2007 at 10:55 AM

Actually it is in the hip rotation. If he rotates his right hip in the direction of the punch while at the same time delivering the punch with his right hand, bicuspids will depart from the mouth.

DCA on June 8, 2007 at 11:10 AM

OT: From the headlines:

National Union – NRP chairman Zevulun Orlev said, “Ehud Olmert would sell the Golan Heights for his seat. He is trying to save his own skin, and his statement regarding a withdrawal from the Golan is a desperate attempt to survive.”

Now Olmert is going to have to pop Orlev. I don’t understand that strategy – just going to encourage more of the same. Sounds like they need Reagan as bad as we do.

Spirit of 1776 on June 8, 2007 at 11:11 AM

Bradky on June 8, 2007 at 10:56 AM

Certainly, except that it’s not so easy for an evil, treasonous liar to be upset by the truth. Isn’t that right, Harry?

Freelancer on June 8, 2007 at 11:12 AM

Bradky on June 8, 2007 at 10:56 AM

I think we can all agree, though, that insulting another man’s momma is grounds for a smackdown. :-)

Slublog on June 8, 2007 at 11:13 AM

Bradky on June 8, 2007 at 10:56 AM

Listen,stupid, what conservative has spray painted our national monuments, what liberal needs to have body guards to speak at a university, what conservative has broken into a liberals home and attacked them for being a liberal? Get it, everyone knows nutcases on both sides, but the liberal side encourages it, promotes it, they live it.

You want to go tit for tat? Let’s start here. List the names of the liberal college speakers who have been attacked, shouted down on college campuses, and I will list the names of the conservates who have been shouted down and attacked. In the past couple of years (you will need a couple of years to find one,I will only need a few months to find several).
Let’s see who’s list is longer. I will wait for your list.

right2bright on June 8, 2007 at 11:14 AM

Regardless of the reason for dispute, it sets a horrible example for the public.

He should be charged and let them plea it out or set whatever minor penalty considering no injuries, presumably no past criminal record, etc.

But there should be a charge. Why wouldn’t there be a charge?

Christoph on June 8, 2007 at 11:15 AM

Kind of a girlie punch for a Republican.

Valiant on June 8, 2007 at 11:15 AM

right2bright on June 8, 2007 at 11:14 AM

Isn’t your scree what many of you like to call a “strawman”?

Civility works both ways you ignorant ass.

Bradky on June 8, 2007 at 11:17 AM

Slublog on June 8, 2007 at 11:13 AM

Yes, I’d plead guilty on that one.

Bradky on June 8, 2007 at 11:24 AM

Bradky on June 8, 2007 at 11:17 AM

See this is what I am talking about, if we were face to face I guarantee you would not call me that name.

Now, where is your list to show how mean spirited the conservatives are?
I will throw two names out
Horowitz
Coulter
Both attacked and shouted down on college campuses, both need body guards at speaking engagements because of the physical abuse and threats. (I have seveal more)

Now you throw two names out that are liberals that need body guards and have been physically attacked.

Put up or shut up. Prove that conservatives are “mean”. This is your chance.

right2bright on June 8, 2007 at 11:27 AM

If democrats are afraid of this old republican guy, how can they fight al qaeda?

lorien1973 on June 8, 2007 at 11:29 AM

right2bright on June 8, 2007 at 11:27 AM

I’d call you whatever you like to your face and you would just slink away to hide behind your keyboard. Well.. you might throw that at me!
Are you saying that conservatives don’t call democrats traitors, liars, etc.
You are spinning in the best Clintonian tradition.

Bradky on June 8, 2007 at 11:31 AM

But there should be a charge. Why wouldn’t there be a charge?

Christoph on June 8, 2007 at 11:15 AM

What – put the guy in jail for throwing a lousy punch? there shouldn’t be a charge because those guys have a lot more to worry about than a stupid argument among 60 year olds. they should just let it go.

pullingmyhairout on June 8, 2007 at 11:31 AM

How do we get more of this activity in the Senate?

PRCalDude on June 8, 2007 at 11:34 AM

Bradky on June 8, 2007 at 11:31 AM

The list, focus…show me the list. You have your chance.
Defend your postition with facts, I have given you two examples, now you give me two of how mean we conservatives are…focus.

right2bright on June 8, 2007 at 11:36 AM

Alabama Senate brought to you by Bodog.

EnochCain on June 8, 2007 at 11:37 AM

Southerners.

That’s how we roll down here in Alabama, Big A. You gotta problem with that? Bring it.

tdau1997 on June 8, 2007 at 11:40 AM

Hmmmmmm……now that is how politics should be handled.

GT on June 8, 2007 at 11:40 AM

right2bright on June 8, 2007 at 11:36 AM

You just don’t like having a mirror held up that shows you for what you are. Deal with it.
You go completely off topic and ask me to focus?

Pavlov’s Dog for Right2bright

Democrat – woof! traitor
Liberal – woof! kill
Clinton – howl at the moon

So predictable

Bradky on June 8, 2007 at 11:42 AM

Put that guy in Lindsey Graham’s seat! He has more juevos!

Tim Burton on June 8, 2007 at 11:47 AM

Now that’s the way to finish a debate.

Go Southerners. (AP needs to take a trip down South. Maybe eat some grits and drink some sweet tea.)

faraway on June 8, 2007 at 11:50 AM

“Southerners”…AP, if you had a lot more of this you wouldn’t have people standing in the well of the Senate of The United States and calling the President of the United States a liar, nazi, storm trooper, etc…bust a few mouths and these liberal sissies will realize it don’t work anymore.

DoctorDentons on June 8, 2007 at 11:53 AM

That guy throws a better punch than any NBA player I’ve seen.

So if Bishop sees him in a dark alley he’s going to kick his a$$?

VikingGoneWild on June 8, 2007 at 11:55 AM

Bradky on June 8, 2007 at 11:31 AM

I am taking that as a “I don’t have an answer, you must be right”. You see, I had some facts, and you had some insults. In the conservative world, insults do not trump facts…in your world insults, pie throwing, spray painting national monuments, screaming and disrupting speakers is appropriate and in fact a viable tactic. We live in different worlds, with different standards.

Just as I thought, thanks Bradky for the confirmation.

right2bright on June 8, 2007 at 11:55 AM

Oh come on, guys. These men are old. Moving too quickly’ll cause them to break a hip. Punching over a perceived insult is childish.

Had he punched him over the immigration bill, I’d prefer him over the guy who cried, but over sob?

Esthier on June 8, 2007 at 12:01 PM

I don’t care who you are… AP’s “Southerner” comment is offensive.

AP needs to issue a formal apology on the Dukes of Hazzard show, pay reparations to rednecks, and go into rehab at the Nashville Yankee Carpetbagger Clinic.

faraway on June 8, 2007 at 12:01 PM

No harm, no foul.

Tim Burton on June 8, 2007 at 12:11 PM

Who needs the “Alabama Slammer” when we have:

Bradky vs. right2bright

Rick on June 8, 2007 at 12:14 PM

No harm, no foul.

Tim Burton on June 8, 2007 at 12:11 PM

I would’ve made sure there was some harm. That was hardly a pimp slap.

I was expecting something more along the lines of Taiwan’s legislative body.

steveegg on June 8, 2007 at 12:16 PM

Who needs the “Alabama Slammer” when we have:

Bradky vs. right2bright

Rick on June 8, 2007 at 12:14 PM

Allow me to channel Mills Lane…

“I expect a good clean fight…ah, who am I kidding? We’ve got a lib in this one.

“LET’S GET IT ON!”

steveegg on June 8, 2007 at 12:18 PM

Bradky on June 8, 2007 at 10:56 AM

Except that liberals prove that they are, in fact, anti-American traitors every chance they get. Here’s a clue: when you assume that your country is at fault EVERY TIME there’s a crisis that’s anti-American. When you use Memorial Day or Veterans Day as a platform to talk about how “evil” America is, or what war criminals our vets are, you’re anti-American, (and tactless and trashy.) When you say you love America, but trash every free market idea that America stands for, that’s anti-American. You can’t say you “love America” when you hate everything about it. You liberals even hate the Free Press!!! Who’s trying to bring back the “Fairness Doctrine”? All because you’re losers who can’t stand any competition to your ridiculous – and yes – often traitorous ideas.

foxforce91 on June 8, 2007 at 12:18 PM

Rick on June 8, 2007 at 12:14 PM

He would be a lot more passive in the same room. I have met many boys like him.
He roams these pages pickin a fight, and every once in awhile it is fun to jerk his chain. He is not much of a fighter. All of us just throw a few facts out there, and he begins whining. He ain’t from Alambama, that’s for sure.

right2bright on June 8, 2007 at 12:22 PM

My husband was born in Mobile, Alabama. He’s the most calm, reasonable person I know. You can call him anything you want and he’ll just smile at you. You malign his Momma and he’ll sweep the floor with you without blinking.

PattyAnn on June 8, 2007 at 12:26 PM

Call me a SOB to my face, you will get my right hand also.

Wade on June 8, 2007 at 10:56 AM

Are you threatening me?

John from WuzzaDem on June 8, 2007 at 12:32 PM

The hitee came up with a smug smile on his face, I think aware and pleased that he had knowingly crossed the “maternal deprecation” line.

eeyore on June 8, 2007 at 12:51 PM

If we’re becoming a second class country we might as well let our representatives act like it.

Hening on June 8, 2007 at 12:53 PM

He would be a lot more passive in the same room. I have met many boys like him.

right2bright on June 8, 2007 at 12:22 PM

Woof! better than being a drooling head bobber incapable of processing anything but talking points from others.

Bradky on June 8, 2007 at 12:55 PM

I wonder about AP sometimes…

Just because you hit someone you become “unhinged”?

faraway on June 8, 2007 at 12:55 PM

Spoken like a Jihad supporting, flag burning Liberal.

Hening on June 8, 2007 at 12:57 PM

DCA on June 8, 2007 at 11:10 AM

You mean like this?

thirteen28 on June 8, 2007 at 12:58 PM

It’s not the first time:

On the morning of February 15, 1798, pandemonium broke out on the floor of the United States House of Representatives. Without warning, Federalist Representative Roger Griswold of Connecticut strode across the chambers to where his colleague Matthew Lyon was sitting preoccupied with some correspondence. Cursing him as a “scoundrel,” Griswold pounded the Vermont Republican’s head and shoulders with a thick, hickory walking stick. Federalist Representative George Thacher of Massachusetts witnessed and later recalled the attack:

I’m fairly certain there have been more.

INC on June 8, 2007 at 1:00 PM

Someone always breaks up these things too quickly.

Buzzy on June 8, 2007 at 1:02 PM

Spoken like a Jihad supporting, flag burning Liberal.

“Someone” usually is a traitorous, lying, evil Liberal to receive a response like that. Hening on June 8, 2007 at 12:57 PM

Thanks for proving my point.

Bradky on June 8, 2007 at 1:05 PM

I can’t believe I didn’t mention probably the most famous bout:

The Burr-Hamilton duel

INC on June 8, 2007 at 1:07 PM

Now thats crossin the aisle! Feminists take note; Having a MAN in your life ain’t all bad.

sonnyspats1 on June 8, 2007 at 2:04 PM

Heh Heh Old School baby!

sonnyspats1 on June 8, 2007 at 2:04 PM

You know what? Sometimes you just have to throw down.

unamused on June 8, 2007 at 2:09 PM

AP, why do you dislike southerners so much? Without us holding down the fort with social issues and filling the ranks of the military this country would go to hell.

SillyRyno on June 8, 2007 at 2:11 PM

“If he calls me that again, it will happen again,” he said.

The proud tradition of William Lowndes Yancey lives!

Ali-Bubba on June 8, 2007 at 2:20 PM

Bradky on June 8, 2007 at 1:05 PM

I’ve noticed by comparing posts here and on dKos that liberals seem much much more adept at insulting people than conservatives.

I’d be interested to find out if it’s genetic or learned. I would have to bet that it’s learned, through years of practice. I mean, how could it be any other way? The liberal platform is so full of wishful thinking and half-truths that they only way you could promote it is through character assassination of your opposition.

Oh, wait…

unamused on June 8, 2007 at 2:22 PM

Allah, does it feel good be such a prejudice and bigoted individual? I guess the Southern white male is the last group that it’s politically acceptable to be bigoted against. How very liberal of you

Capitalist Infidel on June 8, 2007 at 2:27 PM

Capitalist Infidel on June 8, 2007 at 2:27 PM

Hold on, I thought conservatives are the bigots….

Either way, I’d clean a man’s clock for insulting my mother. There are just some lines you don’t cross.

unamused on June 8, 2007 at 2:35 PM

Bradky on June 8, 2007 at 12:55 PM

Over 3 hours from my challenge to you, and still no facts, but a lot of insults. Other bloggers may start to believe that you don’t have any substance, better get to work on backing up your assertion…I gave you a couple of names, where are yours?
I would say 1/2 hour more would make it 4 hours, plenty of time to Google your retort. What? You couldn’t find any?…what a surprise, the liberals are the antagonists, the facists, the ones that insult and not give facts. Oh yeah, you will not stoop to such petty “strawman” tactics, even with no facts, you know the “truth”, you can feel the truth, it is in your little bleeding heart. Those, those conservatives are eeviiil people, and they aren’t nice…they use facts, that’s not fair…they are racists, dictators, murderers, and poo poo heads.

right2bright on June 8, 2007 at 2:45 PM

I’m fairly certain there have been more.

INC on June 8, 2007 at 1:00 PM

Oh yea, have you forgot about Preston Brooks?

And he was a Southerner too.

Tim Burton on June 8, 2007 at 3:25 PM

Valiant on June 8, 2007 at 11:15 AM

Oh, I don’t know. Seemed ok to me for an older guy. I think he handled it just about right.

Jaibones on June 8, 2007 at 4:19 PM

Tim Burton on June 8, 2007 at 3:25 PM

Sounds like Democrats have been unhinged for a long time….
(joke)

Bradky on June 8, 2007 at 1:05 PM

You’re joking right? You have yet to say anything of relevance in order to have someone prove your point. The difference between accusing Bush of lying, calling him a mass murderer, and calling him an idiot and someone accusing Bill Clinton of lying, being an adulterer, and covering up Flight 800 is huge. The evidence for the accusations against Clinton is overwhelming. The evidence for the accusations is non-existent. (this is merely an example)

If someone were to refer to me as an idiot, which has happened from time to time, and I informed them of my status as a college student this would tend to refute their claim. If I referred to the same person as an idiot (which I wouldn’t bother) and they informed me of their GED, and job at the local McDonalds this would be evidence in favor of my claim.

If I accuse a democrat such as Harry Reid of being a traitor, and in so doing produce the definition of a traitor, and give an example, I am not making false accusations, I am proving my accusation to be true, which makes it no longer an accusation, but just plain truth.

This is the difference between Conservatives and Liberals, I have never met a single Liberal that could provide evidence to support their views in regards to Bush. They merely have searing hatred toward him, and that’s more than enough for them.

j_ehman on June 8, 2007 at 5:11 PM

Got to love the “Southerners” crack. I’m glad those bastions of non-violence like New York, Detroit, Chicago, and Philly uphold the tradition of peace and love. I mean lets condemn a man for personally responding to a personal insult. Much better for an entire crowd to respond to something important and truly insulting….like a game.

http://tinyurl.com/295b6h for the young crowd….

or maybe a city like the “celebration” after the Red Sox victory…

and thank the gods that the South has the West Coast as an example for not letting violence get out of hand…you know…because they just all get along and all…

I have to say though, I do like the look of all the glass houses non-Southerners live in as they stand on their porch throwing rocks at us.

Faith1 on June 8, 2007 at 5:52 PM

Unfortunately, the Alabama Public TV cameraman chose to follow Bishop in the aftermath and not Barron. If the camera had followed Barron, you’d see that when he tried to get back up, he was groggy, and fell onto another desk which prevented him from going down to the floor.

I offer this for those who say Bishop didn’t hit him hard, in reality, Bishop “cleaned his clock” with a blow square to the chin.

On a pretty popular local radio talk show this AM, Bishop came on and admitted that he was wrong but that the slur to Bishop’s mother just took hold of him. He also described how he had to admonish his own son for expressing how proud he was of his dad, saying that while he stands behind what he did, it was the wrong place and wrong time for such an action. He also mentioned that he’s waiting for an apology from Barron before he offers one himself.

Those not from the south, like AP, who like to bash on us or poke fun, remember that we still take personal honor very seriously. Call me a SOB to my face and I’ll deliver a right hook to your face, I may be arrested for it, I may be sued and lose, but I’ll still do it, without hesitation.

Bishop guaranteed his spot in the Alabama Senate for as long as he wants it by proving to his constituents that he’s simply not going to take sh*t.

Barron is not well liked in most of Alabama and most here are cheering Bishop even while the yankees are jeering the south.

–Jason

Jason Coleman on June 8, 2007 at 6:19 PM

“Unhinged?”

Try to call my mother a b*tch to my face and we’ll see about that. But bring an ice pack, because you’re going to need it.

People can call me anything they like, but they’d better keep my family out of it.

Misha I on June 8, 2007 at 6:40 PM

Sorry, I think the conspiracy theories about Clinton were just as ridiculous as the ones about Bush. Stupidity is stupidity regardless of which side of the spectrum it comes from. Of course, the 9/11 theory is far more insidious…especially when you consider that we are now at war.

packsoldier on June 8, 2007 at 6:55 PM

Fellas. Fellas. Allah made a statment of fact. Southerners. One word, neither good nor bad conotations. Is your glass half full or half empty?

sonnyspats1 on June 8, 2007 at 7:35 PM

Ok sonnyspats1….

it wasn’t him deriding southerners as somehow loose cannons or redneck brawlers or something. Sure.

SillyRyno on June 8, 2007 at 9:06 PM

I’m not talking about theories about Clinton, I’m talking about things that actually happened of which there is proof. Now, if we’re talking about the things of which there is no proof, I would agree with you, but we’re not. I’m talking about making jokes about Lewinsky, Paula Jones, Linda Trip. These aren’t theories, they’re knowns. Seriously, why would you compare those knowns to the theories about Bush?

j_ehman on June 9, 2007 at 1:43 PM