Video: “National disgrace” of amnesty collapse leaves Geraldo “brokenhearted”

posted at 10:00 am on June 8, 2007 by Allahpundit

The miraculous thing about Geraldo is that he manages to sound less reasonable every time he talks about this issue. Starting with the platitudes about living in the “shadows” and having one’s “hopes crushed,” continuing through to the obligatory smears of right-wing talk radio (“extremist”) and ICE (“terrorized by the law”), and finally concluding with an embarrassing, transparent filibuster when Brian Kilmeade asks why we can’t secure the border first, he does his side no favors. If you haven’t watched Byron Dorgan’s speech yet, it’s a must as a complement to this. American workers exist not at all in Geraldo’s conception of this issue; for him it’s about no more and no less than compassion for illegals (read: Latinos), just like for big business it’s about no more and no less than quasi-slave wages. Watch Dorgan and ask yourself, per Geraldo, who’s really being “opportunistic” here. As for his super-keen idea about making illegals earn citizenship through military service, if you think John Kerry and Charlie Rangel are shrill now when they talk about an army of the poor and uneducated, wait until this plan gets off the ground. Imagine the pride we’d feel in our armed forces knowing we’ve filled the ranks by exploiting foreigners’ economic hardships.

Keep an eye out at the beginning too for his assertion that the collapse of the “grand bargain” proves political compromise is dead. WaPo made the same point last night; it’s a way for amnesty proponents to excuse the bill’s failure on grounds other than its own (non-)merits. But not to worry: Senator Tantrum is vowing that it’s not dead. Can the same be said for his political career? Read the quote from the South Carolinian here and wonder.

Update: Slublog thinks it’s worth spotlighting Tancredo’s shot at McCain from the WashTimes link:

“John McCain has always prided himself as a man who marches to the beat of a different drummer,” Mr. Tancredo told The Times yesterday. “How depressing to learn that the drummer is Ted Kennedy.”

Comments

¡adiós! ¡Goce de las sombras!

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on June 8, 2007 at 10:04 AM

Whenever I think I cannot despise Geraldo anymore than I already do, he opens his mouth and proves me wrong. That tirade this morning was despicable hate mongering. He’s trying to fire up the illegals, which I expect will have a rally any day now.

csdeven on June 8, 2007 at 10:06 AM

Oh, shut the hell up, Jerry.

mojo on June 8, 2007 at 10:08 AM

Nonsense! We are a sovereign nation and have an absolute right to disallow and repel an invasion by illegal foreign nationals. This bill was killed because it was a political sham and an assault on our sovereignty. Furthermore, any attempted reincarnation must meet the same end.

rplat on June 8, 2007 at 10:08 AM

Got to admit, the dig on McCain by Tancredo in that story was good.

I wonder if the death of this thing helps McCain at all in that it’s off the table, or do you think he’s just going to keep defending it to save face?

Slublog on June 8, 2007 at 10:11 AM

Let’s ask Rome how that plan worked out. Let the rabble fight, we have better things to do.

I, for one, want no part of ‘Bleed and be Free’ any part of an American military recruiting tool. Despicable.

Limerick on June 8, 2007 at 10:13 AM

I’d like to thank conservative talk radio, Hot Air, Michelle Malkin, LGF, MKH (not that she writes much, I just like thanking her), Power Line and the dozens of other conservative voices that killed (hopefully forever) this destructive bill.

Build the wall (and a moat), man it with guards, then let’s talk about how many foreign workers we will let through every year. And the security checks that will be required. Don’t like it? Find a job someplace else, maybe France.

doufree on June 8, 2007 at 10:13 AM

Just the title “grand bargain,” reeked of pretension.

INC on June 8, 2007 at 10:13 AM

Just the title “grand bargain,” reeked of pretension.
INC on June 8, 2007 at 10:13 AM

Heh. It is a bit self-congratulatory. I swear I almost cheered when Dorgan(!) criticized the “senate gangs” in his speech yesterday.

Slublog on June 8, 2007 at 10:15 AM

I was so hoping you would post something about this AP. I was watching this morning when Jerry was on, and ended up shouting at the TV. When he said something like “I’m just not that opportunistic…” (paraphrased), I couldn’t believe it! Nobody is more opportunistic than Jerry Rivers. His little altercation with Brian “2 million in prisons, which are overcrowded, and you want to put 12 million more in there?” was the quintessential strawman. GAK!! All Brian was saying was “secure the borders first, then we talk.” I’m actually going to agree with csdeven (shocka!) and say that just when I think I cannot despise him more… I kept vacillating between euphoria about the immigration bill, and wanting to crawl through the TV and strangle this idiot. At least it got the blood flowing this morning!

lan astaslem on June 8, 2007 at 10:15 AM

Geraldo and Reid are absolutely right…illegal immigrants should be brought out of the shadows and into the American daylight.

You know, like vampires.

fusionaddict on June 8, 2007 at 10:24 AM

The “National Disgrace” would have been if this amnesty bill HAD passed. It was flawed from the beginning, pandered to the Left that desires more poltical power and the conservative Ferengi who desire profit and favor for the wealthy and corporate intersts at the expense of the nation. The system worked Perfectly, this flawed bill failed.

In my opinon Geraldo has a political agenda that does not include the best interests of the nation and the citizens, but favors a group based on race and culture. Recognizing this favoritism, and using his public position to promote it, he is a racist that is condoned and supported by the MSM. It would be wise to consider these events, and the fact that Geraldo is a racist, when considering his veiws and commentary in the future.

omegaram on June 8, 2007 at 10:25 AM

Limerick on June 8, 2007 at 10:13 AM

I don’t think it should be a requirement, but I think it should be an available reward. There are plenty of legal immigrants in the military right now fighting overseas in Iraq and Afghanistan who must wait and wait and wait for their citizenship. If anyone deserves a fast-track to anything, it’s our soldiers. I say 1 full tour of honorable military service should warrant citizenship.

fusionaddict on June 8, 2007 at 10:31 AM

fusionaddict on June 8, 2007 at 10:31 AM

agreed….as a reward….but not as some recruiting tool or as a national policy that if you are here illegally you can erase that from your record by putting on a uniform.

Limerick on June 8, 2007 at 10:37 AM

fusionaddict on June 8, 2007 at 10:31 AM

I couldn’t disagree more. The day we outsource our defense and feel we have no blood stake in our country, we are truly done.
The military has changed the rule that non-citizens must become citizens or they can’t reenlist.
Few enough people serve their country as it is, even if just for one tour. Citizenship through military service will drive those numbers even lower and probably result in increased immigration ceilings for the express purpose of the military fills. H1M visas anyone?

Bradky on June 8, 2007 at 10:38 AM

There’s a guy on Glenn Beck’s radio show right now, who is hispanic. He spent 7 years getting his green card legally. He then spent 5 years getting citizenship. He called his Florida Senators to tell them to vote against the bill. He was pissed at Reid for calling illegals “undocumented Americans”.

He said he doesn’t want a country he spent so long getting into legally, destroyed. He says he can’t imagine how the Americans who’ve lived here their whole lives feel.

Beck asked him, jokingly, “Why do you hate hispanics”.

Perhaps Geraldo should take a lesson from this man.

amerpundit on June 8, 2007 at 10:53 AM

Bradky – I served in the Navy for 30 years. We had a lot of Filipinos, some folks from South America and a small number of Canadians. I don’t think this is a huge issue.

Oh, and Geraldo is a complete fraud and idiot.

MCPO Airdale on June 8, 2007 at 10:53 AM

Every person entering US military service must take an oath which is more thorough than that of the President:

I, ___________________, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.

Expecting people present on our soil illegally to respect this oath is absurd. Administering this oath to people who have already indicated their disdain and disregard for this nation’s laws is worse. Holding criminals to the standards of conduct encased in the UCMJ is impossible, and just how many loopholes will the ACLU types find to prevent military punishment of non-citizens who don’t faithfully hold to an oath given by a nation to which they owe nothing.

Geraldo at his very best, indeed.

RE: Tanc’s swipe at McShame, well struck.

Freelancer on June 8, 2007 at 10:58 AM

Geraldo crying in his cerveza, makes my day a very good day.

shooter on June 8, 2007 at 10:59 AM

MCPO Airdale on June 8, 2007 at 10:53 AM

I was aware of the allowance for Fillipino nationals but think it was a relatively small number of people. What I think some are suggesting is that it be an option for those at the southern border to volunteer for. Imagine the third country nationals in Saudi you saw doing all the work and you see my reservations.

Bradky on June 8, 2007 at 11:00 AM

Bradky – It is not a huge issue now… I think Limerick was trying to say that if our gov’t starts using gaining citizenship as a recruiting tool we are in big trouble.
I have a son in the military. I have seen citizenship ceremonies for a few individuals that chose to serve the United States in uniform.
I think the point is that it is a dangerous place we go as a nation and society if we start promoting having non citizens join our militray in order to gain citizenship.
Bleed and be free, kinda makes you sick.

Babs on June 8, 2007 at 11:04 AM

Sorry Bradky, ment to direct my comment to MCPO

Babs on June 8, 2007 at 11:06 AM

Email on the way Jerry…

maintenanceman on June 8, 2007 at 11:07 AM

It was his phrase “honored guests” from the 500,000 illegals march in LA last May that was the low point for me… I’ve switched the channel every time he’s been on since then, and I refuse to watch that bozo now. Fox should have fired him when he was giving away troop movements live years ago.

hindmost on June 8, 2007 at 11:07 AM

I am sick and tired of people calling me unpatriotic because I want the border enforced. Geraldo, and those like him who make that argument, deserve a kick in the nuts.

matd on June 8, 2007 at 11:16 AM

The “National Disgrace” is the louts we call senators. Giving away our country for additional votes or for cheaper labor is a disgrace which should be criminal — treason in my book. Having an opportunistic tool like Geraldo pontificating the merits is a laughable conclusion to this bill.

jimwesty on June 8, 2007 at 11:20 AM

your emotions have gone beyond your patriotism and your reason.

Right back at ya!

morganfrost on June 8, 2007 at 11:20 AM

Politico.com has a discussion of it.

I think his chances died when he made this bargain in the first place, regardless of what happens to the bill from here on out.

AFA Geraldo goes, the saddest thing is he sounds exactly like Lindsey Grahamesty talking about “what a sweet deal it is” to give 12 million people a second chance. No concern for how the bill will affect the other 300 million Americans, only what a great thing it would be for the “undocumented Americans.”

Dudley Smith on June 8, 2007 at 11:24 AM

Geraldo can kiss my extremist hiney.

infidel4life on June 8, 2007 at 11:24 AM

Go away Geraldo.

moonsbreath on June 8, 2007 at 11:32 AM

Let Geraldo go down to Mexico and Central America and lecture their governments on treatment of their citizens, rights for their citizens and creating economic opportunity for their citizens. Exporting their social and health problems to American soil while taking the money returned in to their economy sounds like a cheap way to run a country. Looking at the world from a big house in a protected neigborhood or from the deck of a sail boat it is easy to villify those of us who suffer the real effects of the waves of illegals coming to our schools, hospitals and social support systems, changing our culture and spending our funds. I wonder what would happen to me if I didn’t pay my taxes, didn’t buy insurance of my cars….

jimwesty on June 8, 2007 at 11:35 AM

A friend sent the following to me, attributing it to George Carlin:
“We should pull our soldiers out of Iraq and place them on the border. When they catch illegals, we offer them the opportunity to fight in Iraq for citizenship. If they accept, we drop them in with a canteen, rifle and supplies. If they refuse, we just drop them in.”

jeffNWV on June 8, 2007 at 11:36 AM

Heh, Tanc really did rip up McCain there, good find Slubbo!

Bad Candy on June 8, 2007 at 11:38 AM

Capone’s Vault = National Disgrace

Tim Burton on June 8, 2007 at 11:45 AM

No Geraldo, you can’t have amnesty, Not Yours!

Bad Candy on June 8, 2007 at 11:47 AM

Jerry Rivers. Call you office.

locomotivebreath1901 on June 8, 2007 at 11:55 AM

Geraldo Mustache is living proof of the saying “no matter how cynical I get, I just can’t keep up.”

thirteen28 on June 8, 2007 at 12:00 PM

If Geraldo is soooooooooooooo concerned with the plight of illegals being “terrorized” by THE LAW, he is more than welcome to leave The United States of America.

SouthernGent on June 8, 2007 at 12:29 PM

Mr. Opportunistic Rivera
“I’ve had thousands of women, literally thousands,” he told Playboy in 1989. “Figure it out for yourself. If you had a different woman every couple of days, and you do it for some years running, it just adds up.”

PattyAnn on June 8, 2007 at 12:35 PM

Whorendo Revolver doesn’t have the ability to be opportunistic or selfish? That is news!

MarkM on June 8, 2007 at 12:40 PM

I like Hernando Revolver, but, he’s a fool on this issue. These people BROKE THE LAWS OF OUR LAND to get here, they are here and they SHOULD NOT BE HERE. Bottom line is this, you cannot reward someone who breaks the law and give them what they wanted that they could not get lawfully IF you do not want to turn this into a totally “lawless” Nation and destroy it.

NRA4Freedom on June 8, 2007 at 12:43 PM

So Bush, Chertoff, and Chavez didn’t mean it when he said the same thing but now we’re hearing it from this clown. Next week we’ll be hearing it in criminal aliens rallies across our nation and it will be echoed by the MSM. They couldn’t sneak this bill past the American people so now they’ll continue to smear us as racists and bigots till they get their way with open borders and amnesty. This is exactly why in the upcoming elections it is so important that our elected leaders want no part of anything associated with this agenda.

Buzzy on June 8, 2007 at 12:53 PM

Love it! Geldaldo used to totally p*ss me off every time he talked about immigration, but he is so looney and unhinged here that it is actually humerous. His pain is my pleasure.

ptolemy on June 8, 2007 at 12:55 PM

Screw you, Jerry Rivers!

The reason you’re not a politician is because nobody trust a lying, sleazeball like you.

Didn’t Frank Stallone beat the snot out of you on TV?

Didn’t the Army kick your butt out of Iraq for giving away the position of the unit you were with?

Say, did you ever find Big Al’s hidden stash?

georgej on June 8, 2007 at 1:03 PM

MCPO Airdale, Bradky, Babs, and others;

There is a massive difference between citizens of the Phillipines serving in the US Armed Forces, and illegal foreigners. The Phillipines has been a protectorate of the US since WWII, and its’ people have had a shorter path to US citizenship since then. Many Filipino nationals take advantage of the enhanced opportunity offered to join our military. The relationship is a unique one, and not to be compared with people who sneak onto our soil.

Freelancer on June 8, 2007 at 1:44 PM

Freelancer on June 8, 2007 at 1:44 PM

You are reading something that is not in my posts. The number of Filipinos given citizenship via this route through 1976 was a little over 16,000 in twenty plus years. I could not find stats through the nineties when the military agreement was terminated effectively closing this path.

I would be much opposed to saying “join the service and get your citizenship” in the context of relieving our citizens of this important responsibility.

Bradky on June 8, 2007 at 2:58 PM

Last time I warned you, this time I’m done.

I don’t consume media sources that show his ugly mug.

Bookmark deleted.

Bye

Jose Chupacabra on June 8, 2007 at 3:13 PM

Anyone else notice that he almost let ‘these Ice thugs slip out?

- The Cat

MirCat on June 8, 2007 at 3:15 PM

Anything that makes Geraldo unhappy is a good thing.

CrimsonFisted on June 8, 2007 at 6:16 PM

Once a lawyer…

I agree Crimson. If Geraldo doesn’t like it, it must be good.

Mojave Mark on June 8, 2007 at 6:26 PM

When FOX first hired him back in 2000-2001, I remember emailing fox MULTIPLE TIMES IN the space of a few short minutes (maybe ten or thirteen cc’s)concisely complaining in the memo that he was a HACK and how could FOX stoop so low.

You never get an answer back from that type of mass box mailing, but apparently SOMEBODY >>>some INTERN >>>read it and emailed me a response within seconds that said only, “We get it, but Geraldo Sells.”

I LAUGHED OUT –LOOOUD.

seejanemom on June 8, 2007 at 6:29 PM

“SELF SERVINGLY SELFISH??? A NATIONAL DISGRACE??”

Self definition, geraldo, you described yourself. Geraldo, you are one low life POS.
They wouldn’t need to HIDE if they hadn’t broke the frickin LAW in the first place.
Poor bastards, “their hopes are crushed”…waaaahhhh.
We don’t have to pay billions of dollars with our own money/tax money, for them to live here now… thats HOPE FOR ME!
Thats HOPE for our country’s FUTURE.

rivera goes on:

HOW YOU GOING TO DO THAT? HOW????
ENFORCE THE DAMN LAW, YOU WORTHLESS SCUMBAG GERLADO.

Damn he pissed me off.

shooter on June 8, 2007 at 6:35 PM

Old G. R. should wear his “aussie” hat and his “red barron” scarf all the time. Maybe then he might get noticed more. sarcasm/off

jhow66 on June 8, 2007 at 7:24 PM

“Al Capone’s Vault”. ‘Nuff said

HerrMorgenholz on June 8, 2007 at 10:16 PM

I LAUGHED OUT –LOOOUD.

seejanemom on June 8, 2007 at 6:29 PM

If that’s true, why was his show a flop on the Fox network? (I’m not questioning you – just FNC). Like I said, I think there’s a contract FOX has to make good on. He has ruined every show except Special Report. I barely watch FNC anymore. What’s the point? I can stand in line at the grocery checkout and get the same news off the front of National Enquirer

Connie on June 9, 2007 at 11:46 PM

You are reading something that is not in my posts…

Bradky on June 8, 2007 at 2:58 PM

My comments were mostly a response to what MCPO Airdale wrote, and I wasn’t arguing with anyone. I was merely indicating how very different the Filipino situation is to illegal aliens regarding US military membership and citizenship. The most significant difference being that one was allowed for and encouraged LEGALLY. I applied all three monikers because you, Babs, and MCPO Airdale had all commented on the same subthread.

No problemo.