Heart-ache: RAF bans pin-ups on nosecones for fear of offending Muslims

posted at 4:06 pm on June 5, 2007 by Allahpundit

And for fear of offending women crew members too, of course, which I can understand. But if western airmen can tolerate the offensive spectacle of Afghan women having to suffer under burqas — and it is both offensive and a spectacle, make no mistake — then why couldn’t the local boys be expected to muster a little reciprocal “sensitivity,” hm? Tolerance is, after all, a two-way street.

Eh, it’s not worth fighting about.

Royal Air Force chiefs have risked a bust-up with pilots by forcing them to black out pictures of glamorous pin-ups painted on their jets.

Since the 1940s British airmen have posted pictures across their aircraft as risque as their crews’ missions were risky…

But politically correct bosses fear offending female crew and Muslim locals and have now banned the practice…

RAF Strike Command worried that too much flesh on display could put off female recruits who may view the images as sexist.

In a country where many women wear full burkhas, there was also the concern that pictures offending local culture could spark a diplomatic incident.

Exit question: Is this more or less likely than the Marine tattoo ban to cause grumbling among curmudgeonly retired vets?

Comments

Where are the men like Charles Napier?

Bill C on June 5, 2007 at 4:10 PM

Exit question: Is this more or less likely than the Marine tattoo ban to cause grumbling among retired vets?

Great question. My father is retired Air Force and he is a bit grumbly. He will probably have a few words about how “dumb, stupid” this is. He isn’t a big tattoo fan, so this issue will probably be more of an issue than the tattoo ban.

heatherrc77 on June 5, 2007 at 4:12 PM

Remember also that the RAF is trying to recruit a different demographic.

see-dubya on June 5, 2007 at 4:14 PM

If you made a list of the capitulation the free world has made to accommodate ancient Islamic customs, it’s no wonder that they THINK their terrorism is working…

because it IS!

NRA4Freedom on June 5, 2007 at 4:19 PM

Remember also that the RAF is trying to recruit a different demographic

Does that mean they CAN put the Village People on the nose cone?

KelliD on June 5, 2007 at 4:21 PM

Aww, but I like pinup nosecone art…

Bad Candy on June 5, 2007 at 4:26 PM

My grandfather said that the wife of the General commanding his bomber group wouldn’t allow pin up art on their B-29′s.

Didn’t the US military require female personnel to wear abayas when off base in the magic kingdom? I’d be more outraged about that.

rw on June 5, 2007 at 4:27 PM

Personally, I like the shark teeth that graced the nose cones of the A-10′s that used to be stationed where I live.

KelliD on June 5, 2007 at 4:28 PM

Jeesh, why do I find it disturbing that the women in our fighing forces are the type to be offended by such things? As much as we attempt to deny it we owe a lot of thanks to that very egotistical male brash mentality that is being chipped away and replaced by the feminization/oprahfication of the PC Western culture.

Plus, I wonder what Ayaan Hirsi Ali would have to say about the “respect” we are showing to Islamic beliefs here by essentially putting a veil over the nosecones?

Zetterson on June 5, 2007 at 4:40 PM

Yes, that’s it … erase every tradition that makes the British a singular people. Dunces … enjoy your demise.

darwin on June 5, 2007 at 4:42 PM

This is stupid.

natesnake on June 5, 2007 at 4:44 PM

Can they “decorate” the noses of the missiles they fire, or the bombs they drop? I mean, it’s GOTTA be less offensive to have a missile painted than shot at you, right? And if it IS fired at you, then it’s all academic, isn’t it?

Just askin’

Blaise on June 5, 2007 at 4:50 PM

It’s hard to be an effective military while worrying about hurting someone’s feelings.

I support history and tradition. Keep the pin-ups and the tattoos.

On a not so related note, did anyone realize that in Iraq, when you return to the Green Zone after a mission, the soldier in “Big Army” must do a bullett check? They must account for every round that is fired. Special Forces? Not so much.

My point is that Public Relations is hurting our effectiveness in waging a very real war.

natesnake on June 5, 2007 at 4:51 PM

More. This tradition is far older than getting sleeved up. I would have thought them already banned. Scantily clad women may have offended the gheys.

Theworldisnotenough on June 5, 2007 at 4:53 PM

What’s next?

- Troops are not allowed to eat in front of starving people.
- Troops are not allowed to discuss heterosexual activities in front of ghey people.
- Troops are not allowed to smell good around stinky people.
- Troops are not allowed to be tan around albinos.

natesnake on June 5, 2007 at 4:58 PM

I had a liberal friend actually try to defend wearing the burqa.

benrand on June 5, 2007 at 5:01 PM

I’m a woman-last I checked anyway-and I very much ENJOY plane nose art.
The Brits are pansies.

annoyinglittletwerp on June 5, 2007 at 5:01 PM

Theworldisnotenough on June 5, 2007 at 4:53 PM

It probably wouldn’t have offended gay men. From my time at NYU, I can attest that there is a definite sub-section of Gay men that are obsessed with the female anatomy. I had plenty of gay, male classmates that would grab at my breasts and say, “It’s no big deal, I’m gay.” when I swatted their hands down. My response was along the lines of, “I don’t let girls grab my chest either. Try it again and you’ll be pulling back bloody stumps where your fingers used to be.”

The people that are far more likely to be offended are feminists. I’m not sure how a pin up girl on the nose cone of a plane demeans me as a woman, but, that’s the claim.

Give me a society where pin up girls are painted on nose cones any day over a society where women are draped in cloth sacks and peer out at the world through tiny slits in the cloth.

JadeNYU on June 5, 2007 at 5:04 PM

The West should not make concessions to the Muslim barbarians but rather vice versa. It is their culture which is backward and hateful and must change.

Tantor on June 5, 2007 at 5:07 PM

Stuff like this drives me nuts. It saddens me that the country that had one of the most powerful empires in history is now capitulating to the religion that thrives on being offended. What happened to the Brits to make them so spineless?

I’m female and I love the 40s nose art. Actually I love all the vintage World War II art, esp the pin ups. It’s sexy and classy without being vulgar and dirty.

wherestherum on June 5, 2007 at 5:12 PM

While we’re at it, we should probably ask the Israelis to remove those nasty Zionist stars of David from their jets. You can never be too sensitive.

Frankly, if a host country requests the removal of nose art, I don’t see a substantial problem with accomodating them. It’s a small price to pay for strategic access. It sounds, though, like this British measure is a bit more proactive. That reeks a bit more of political correctness and dhimmitude than would a response to a specific request.

Blacklake on June 5, 2007 at 5:14 PM

Well, they were going to wrap the entire plane in a burka, but the damned thing kept getting caught in the intakes.

Consider this: Women need to be covered because men have no restraint. Do you really want hoardes of guys raping the nosecones?

I wonder if scenes of beheadings as aircraft art would be acceptable?

How about an exploding barber shop or music store painted on there?

Oooh, I know! Scenes from a stoning! That sounds awesome!

Hmmm.. so many acceptable choices are available, I can’t see whining about losing this one itsy-bitsy piece of tradition. Especially given that Muslim values must be regarded above all other tradition. Even if you aren’t muslim. You know. So they don’t get all “offended.”

Keep giving them inches. It’s exactly what they want.

(I’d rather they consulted Larry Flynt to do do the nose art than capitulate like this…)

JunkCoast on June 5, 2007 at 5:39 PM

And another long standing tradition is slapped down by the PC police.

Oh well……

BacaDog on June 5, 2007 at 5:49 PM

WWII Us pilots had to take the same sort of graphics off their fuselages after visiting political females from back home caught some of the artwork. My favorite is a bomber with a women lifting up her red skirt. The plane was named “Up and Coming”

Hening on June 5, 2007 at 6:11 PM

It’s a shame to give up such a tradition.

The key word in these paragraphs is “could”. It hasn’t actually happened yet, but go ahead, jump right in and make those decisions for everyone.

You don’t hear any of these PC groups get upset when some “artist” depicts the Christian religion in their own distasteful, insulting way… eg. “Piss Christ”, can’t remember the name of the artist.

The British are sadly, I feel, losing their heritage, their heads are just inches from the chopping block.

4shoes on June 5, 2007 at 6:16 PM

They, like us, vote these liberal politically correct dolts into office.

It’s times like this I wish Larry Flint was running for Prez.

Kini on June 5, 2007 at 6:50 PM

They should paint a pair of balls on the nose. That would be the only set around.

Wade on June 5, 2007 at 6:52 PM

I’m offended! I’m (NOT) going to kill Joos or burn down a Synagogue, or riot in the streets. I won’t even wipe my @$$ with a page of the Koran.

I will eat bbq pork, bacon, pork sausage, and ham. I might even find some kosher hot dogs to eat from Hebrew National. And I’m not even Jewish.

The ability to repress one’s base desires… I guess that’s what separates the 21st century from the Islam-o-fascists.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on June 5, 2007 at 7:35 PM

Hmm.. buggar that… I’m going to strip club, and I’m gonna pay some cute college co-ed to get nekkid and to something patriot.

O’ Say, Can You See!! (after all, it was a drinking song before Francis Scott Key got a-hold of it)

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on June 5, 2007 at 7:41 PM

So how many women in burqas can see nosecone art at 1-2-3-7-10 thousand feet? Give me a break.

mjkazee on June 5, 2007 at 8:28 PM

Hmmm. The Royal Marines surrendered to the Muslims in Iran. Now the Royal Air Force surrenders to the Muslims in Britain. It looks like it’s the British Army’s turn to surrender to the Muslims.

Tantor on June 5, 2007 at 9:45 PM

It’s more offensive to have naked women painted on the plane than it is to drop bombs from them. Silly people. They should paint a naked muslim woman tearing off her burqa.

Tony737 on June 5, 2007 at 11:15 PM

Muslims….

Can’t love them, can’t say you hate them (otherwise the ban hammer comes out)….

Tim Burton on June 5, 2007 at 11:18 PM

Here’s a way to get around the panzy potentates of pomposity. Make up some really risque decals and slap them on that 2000lbs GBU headed for some a Islamist’s hideout. That way, you can offend them while you bomb them.

JohnnyD on June 6, 2007 at 6:52 AM

Blaise

And if it IS fired at you, then it’s all academic, isn’t it?

My thoughts exactly.

doufree on June 6, 2007 at 8:45 AM

They should paint a naked muslim woman tearing off her burqa.

Tony737 on June 5, 2007 at 11:15 PM

An American pilot should run with this idea asap.

A diplomatic incident is less of a concern when you have the best warplanes. Where’s Vargas when you need him?

Buck Turgidson on June 6, 2007 at 9:22 AM

Just how offending can those muslims be? Who or what are those muslims offending anyway? They don’t bother me at all.

As for those nose cones, why are those offended muslims lookin’ at ‘em for in the first place? I though they got all their rewards in heaven!

Kind’a makes one wonder… If they don’t get their virgins ’till they go to heaven, who is fathering all those muslim children around the world?

Woody

woodcdi on June 6, 2007 at 7:52 PM

rw on June 5, 2007 at 4:27 PM

They did, depending in what area of the country they were in during the first Gulf War…and possibly more enforced since then.

We had a few female members of our unit that were accosted by the religious police in Riyahd when they went back for R&R because they were not wearing covering.

As for the Brits, PU$$IE$!

Pin up art was exactly that, art, similar to shoulder patches from earlier wars. Don’t like gorgeous women on the front? Fine, I’m picturing a WartHOG, with the face and body of that giant hog killed by that 11 yo painted on an actual WartHOG, with the gun barrels coming out of its mouth…for ALL planes flying any combat mission in the Middle East.

91Veteran on June 6, 2007 at 10:47 PM

Only the extreme femi-nazis who snivel about any minor phallic detail that might offend them so as to be recognized.

Zetterson on June 5, 2007 at 4:40 PM

I wonder what Patton would say about supposed military men who capitulate?

He would probably slap the hell out of them too given the chance.

91Veteran on June 6, 2007 at 10:57 PM

natesnake on June 5, 2007 at 4:51 PM

Yeah public relations is pushing this, but the reason for the bullet check is some perfumed prince within the Green Zone that has issued the edict that all bullets be checked, so as to cover their own a$$.

So a soldier loses a mag in combat. What happens then? Or his mag is short one round because whoever might have loaded it was short. Court-martial then?

What d@mn stupidity.

91Veteran on June 6, 2007 at 11:04 PM

JadeNYU on June 5, 2007 at 5:04 PM

Where the he!! were the honorable men there at your school? Good men would have ensured he not only pulled back bloody stumps, but that they were attached to broken arms!

…unashamedly admiring the physique they were defending.

91Veteran on June 6, 2007 at 11:33 PM

Blacklake on June 5, 2007 at 5:14 PM

I disagree. Perhaps if some Muslims saw what was worth fighting for, they might change sides.

Some smart Brit should just paint a veil over his bikini clad nose art.

91Veteran on June 7, 2007 at 12:59 AM

mjkazee on June 5, 2007 at 8:28 P

Yeah, and if Muslim women can see it up close on the ground at some Brit airbase, perhaps the game is lost.

91Veteran on June 7, 2007 at 1:07 AM