Blue planet: SUV use on the rise on gas giant Neptune?

posted at 3:46 pm on June 4, 2007 by Bryan

How else to explain the planet’s warming trend from 1980 to 2004?

In a study recently published in Geophysical Research Letters, H.B. Hammel of the Space Science Institute in Boulder, Colo., and G.W. Lockwood of Lowell Observatory in Flagstaff, Ariz., found that Neptune’s brightness appears to correlate with temperature changes on Earth. They also noted that Neptune’s temperature warmed from 1980 to 2004…

“If changing brightnesses and temperatures of two different planets are correlated, then some planetary climate changes may be due to variations in the solar system environment,” they write in their abstract.

Mars, another planet that man has yet to visit, is also going through a warming period. According to NASA’s findings, ice caps near its south pole are melting.

“The long-term increase in solar irradiance is heating both Earth and Mars,” is the conclusion of Habibullo Abdussamatov, head of St. Petersburg’s Pulkovo Astronomical Observatory in Russia.

A warming sun warms the planets around it. Whodathunkit?

Comments

This is good news – hopefully Gore will visit the planet.

amerpundit on June 4, 2007 at 3:48 PM

but…but…but….

KelliD on June 4, 2007 at 3:50 PM

Damned human beings and their carbon footprints…oh wait, this is Nepture…nevermind.

Wade on June 4, 2007 at 3:51 PM

I question the timing ;)

Tyrs Fury on June 4, 2007 at 3:52 PM

Obviously, some of the excess CO2 created by man is escaping the atmosphere and being transported by the solar winds to the downstream planets, mucking up their atmospheres and causing no end of discomfort and concern to the inhabitants. Don’t you people know anything?

kmcguire on June 4, 2007 at 3:54 PM

A warming sun warms the planets around it.

I’m flabbergasted … hopefully, Gore and his entrepid team of pseudo-environmentals will devise a way to control the sun. Perhaps if we all bought copious quanities of “Sun Offsets”…

darwin on June 4, 2007 at 3:54 PM

It’s because of emissions from Uranus.

Sorry.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on June 4, 2007 at 3:54 PM

Neptune has a fever! If your baby had a fever you’d take it to the doctor wouldn’t you? We are in crisis people! Crisis!

TheBigOldDog on June 4, 2007 at 3:59 PM

Very interesting, I wonder what the genius gorahole has to say about this…

… do I hear crickets…?

4shoes on June 4, 2007 at 4:00 PM

I warned them of the dire consequences of voting Pluto out of the League of Planets. Next time them smarty pants scientists will listen to me.
/SATIRE for Kucinch and Paul supporters who don’t know

LakeRuins on June 4, 2007 at 4:01 PM

This proves NAH-SING!!

/reburies head in sand

omnipotent on June 4, 2007 at 4:02 PM

Its all those probes we keep sending out. They are punching holes in the atmospheres of all the other planets and our CO2 is bouncing off Venus and going right into those holes thus heating up the planets in question. We’re doomed I tell ya, DOOMED!

johnnyU on June 4, 2007 at 4:02 PM

It’s because of emissions from Uranus.

Sorry.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on June 4, 2007 at 3:54 PM

Haaaa hahaha! He he! Hilarious!

4shoes on June 4, 2007 at 4:03 PM

How else to explain the planet’s warming trend from 1980 to 2004?

Darth Cheney’s Halliburton Death Rays

elgeneralisimo on June 4, 2007 at 4:09 PM

It’s Bush and the Republicans fault! Doomsday is coming! Quick, put the tinfoil on your head!

amerpundit on June 4, 2007 at 4:09 PM

“The earth is flat”
class of 1492

Trooper on June 4, 2007 at 4:11 PM

Gore will never address this, ever. It’s an Inconvient Truth, to him.

StephC on June 4, 2007 at 4:13 PM

You can’t fool me! The Apollo and Viking landing sites are just down the road from the house. Gene Cernan is a robot. Just look at the fossil record.

Limerick on June 4, 2007 at 4:13 PM

I’m with johnnyU and kmcguire… this proves nothing EXCEPT that we humans are so destructive that the havoc we wreak is now extending to the other planets.

If only we had listened to earlier, we could have stopped this. Now I fear that the damage the USA has done to the planet has begun to destroy the entire universe beyond repair!

There may still be hope, though… vote AlGore for Chancellor of the Galactic Empire in ’08!!! BEFORE ITS TOO LATE!!!

dead-duck on June 4, 2007 at 4:15 PM

Neptune’s brightness appears to correlate with temperature changes on Earth.

See? SEE???? IT’S ALL OUR FAULT!!! We aren’t just destroying Gaia, we are destroying the entire freakin’ SOLAR SYSTEM!!!!

But you know some idiot will read it that way… heh.

lan astaslem on June 4, 2007 at 4:17 PM

dead-duck on June 4, 2007 at 4:15 PM

rats

lan astaslem on June 4, 2007 at 4:17 PM

It’s because of emissions from Uranus.

Sorry.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on June 4, 2007 at 3:54 PM

[/rimshot]

Do you remember many years ago when the space probe was approaching Uranus (there’s a joke right there), and the news anchors suddenly realized they had to change the pronunciation of the planet for “public consumption.” Instead of “Your-ANUS,” the planet became “EUR-ah-nus.” It was so obvious what they were doing, it was hilarous, as only a news anchor can be.

Mallard T. Drake on June 4, 2007 at 4:25 PM

A warming sun warms the planets around it. Whodathunkit?

Get the heck outta here!!

thirteen28 on June 4, 2007 at 4:28 PM

This was clearly caused by the exhaust emanating from the Voyager 2 probe.

And I question the timing.

Matticus Finch on June 4, 2007 at 4:34 PM

Ahhh… but you see, the Mars warming is perfectly in line with the Goracle… after all, we did send an SUV to Mars, the Mars Rover…

Sadly, with all this… BUSH caves on the Carbon crap…

Bush has seriously lost his Mojo… we need Austin Powers.

Romeo13 on June 4, 2007 at 4:41 PM

This is so frickin’ stupid. I can’t believe you even have to waste the time to quote this study. The Global Wormers are so completely stuck on stupid it’s amazing they remember to breathe. Hopefully, in 20 years, we’re all going to be laughing into our mai-tais while lounging around the pool in Maui, pondering the inanities of the Earth Firsters.

nukemhill on June 4, 2007 at 4:42 PM

It’s not too late! Everyone turn on the AC and open the windows!

RedWinged Blackbird on June 4, 2007 at 4:47 PM

But don’tcha know, we have to do something to offset the solar changes do we don’t all drown. The sky is falling! The sky is falling! Wun! Wun!

bdfaith on June 4, 2007 at 4:50 PM

This is worse than I thought…our earth is warming the solar system.

right2bright on June 4, 2007 at 4:55 PM

the Conservative Blogsphere should start a campaign to raise money to send Al Gore to Neptune on a “Fact Finding” mission. Global Warming is a much bigger issue than first thought, we are destroying the entire universe….save us al gore…

jp on June 4, 2007 at 5:16 PM

I’ll bet there some Klingon’s near Uranus.

It will be said that solar impact has nothing to do with global climate change, and it already has if memory serves me correctly.

But these people are not to bright anyway.

Kini on June 4, 2007 at 5:19 PM

Gas giants heated by the sun… Let’s see – there’s Jupiter, Saturn, Neptune, Uranus, and Rosie…Did I miss any??

Child In Time on June 4, 2007 at 5:37 PM

Liberals will debunk this with this reasoning:

Neptune is entering its “summer season,” and with an orbit of 165 years its summer season can last for a long time.

I think what we need to know (in order to debunk all of these rumors) is whether Neptune is moving further away from the sun or closer.

Just my observation.

Darnell Clayton on June 4, 2007 at 5:51 PM

I feel like Flounder to your Bluto, Bryan.

I am disconsolate in my illegal alien dancing – Bush GOP crushing – America with Spanish labels on green bean cans defiling misery, and no amount of funny faces from Senator Blutarski laughing about Neptune and the gases of Uranus will make me smile…

…much.

Jaibones on June 4, 2007 at 5:55 PM

This is worse than I thought…our earth is warming the solar system.

right2bright on June 4, 2007 at 4:55 PM

Heh.

Jaibones on June 4, 2007 at 5:56 PM

While all this seems terribly ridiculous to anyone with any semblance of rationality, the sad truth is that no matter what, this study will fall on deaf ear’s. Once people become as obsessed as some of these nutjobs appear to be, you might as well be arguing with Marx over the validity of communist theory. Even though this fits perfectly with the idea of Occum’s razor, no noe wants to hear it because it takes away our motivation to hate Homo sapiens and mourn for Spotted Owls. I say this not because of some cynical stereotype, but as a result of first hand experience on a university campus with hardcore activist. These people have develpoed such a sense of loathing that they’ll tolerate anything that blames us first. How sad.

Robert Hackman on June 4, 2007 at 6:02 PM

It’s Karl Rove. The dark lord is constructing a death star on the opposite side of planet Neptune, ya’ know.

CyberCipher on June 4, 2007 at 6:03 PM

Yes but is it possible that the earthlings have contributed to this in some way?

aengus on June 4, 2007 at 7:28 PM

Dammit, I was going to Neptune to cool off! NOW what do I do? Stick my head in the freezer? Damned solar system warming!

Tantor on June 4, 2007 at 7:42 PM

Robert Hackman on June 4, 2007 at 6:02 PM

the sad truth is that no matter what, this study will fall on deaf ear’s.

Yea gods I wish it would only fall on deaf ears, these global warming/twoofer idiots will find a way to spin this as proof of global warming being mans fault.

doriangrey on June 4, 2007 at 7:50 PM

Just my observation.

Darnell Clayton on June 4, 2007 at 5:51 PM

A less polemic version of the same results came out in 2003:

It’s probably due to the tilt of the axis. Neptune’s orbit is even more circular than Earth’s, and there’s not much talk I heard about the effect of Earth’s eccentricity on seasons, except that it’s Earth’s southern hemisphere that feels a hotter summer because of it.

pedestrian on June 4, 2007 at 8:50 PM

And here I thought nobody would notice me driving (floating) a leased hummer around on Neptune. Darn!

Next time I’ll drive a “Saturn.”

Mojave Mark on June 4, 2007 at 9:34 PM

The sun will nova soon.

hadsil on June 5, 2007 at 2:24 AM

It’s because of emissions from Uranus.

Sorry.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on June 4, 2007 at 3:54 PM

Never apologize for doing what must be done :)

Thanks for this post Bryan. Bloody fascinating. I must have missed this on the evening news tonight.

Axe on June 5, 2007 at 2:34 AM

Everyone’s an unemployed comedian. Keep your day jobs.

Coronagold on June 5, 2007 at 6:55 AM

It serves those Neptunians right that their planet is warming ! They go on vacation way too much, thus all that un-necessary air travel ! They drive big SUV’s and live in homes so much larger than what is required for basic survival. In the winter they actually turn on heating systems rather than just wearing a sweater. They refuse to eat tofu.

They use too much electricity and burn coal to generate it ! And they eat too much meat and you know how big those Neptunian cattle get, and they expel greenhouse gases like there is no tomorrow.

Then to make matters worse, the Neptunians refuse to buy “green products” when they go shopping. And worst of all they use incandescent light bulbs. I’m surprised their planet isn’t just a big swirling cloud of ashes by now.

Nevertheless, we must find the solution together. We must do it for the children. We must make a difference because their planet is at risk. Let’s send Al Gore to Neptune on the next space shuttle so he can sell them carbon offsets…. problem resolved.

Maxx on June 5, 2007 at 12:54 PM

Obviously Neptune is heating because of us.
Neptune, being a gas-giant, is obviously producing greenhouse “gases” and heating itself because of….. uhhhhh….. Voyager. Yeah that’s it. Voyager went by Neptune in 1989. Coincidence? I think not. Just like our Mars Rover (an evil, interplanetary SUV) is heating up Mars, Voyager (an evil, interplanetary, space-faring SUV) is heating up Neptune. I bet if the Moon had an atmosphere we would find out it’s heating too, after all, we left a couple SUVs there too.
I mean, what moron thinks the Sun actually affects the temperature of the Earth?

Veeshir on June 5, 2007 at 3:15 PM