Open thread: Democratic presidential debate; Update: Iraq slapfight video added; Update: English as official language video added; Update: “Assassinate Osama?” video added

posted at 6:37 pm on June 3, 2007 by Allahpundit

CNN, 7 p.m. ET. What better way to end the week than with two — count ’em, two — hours of one-upsmanship about who hates the Iraq war most?

Expect to see some grenades lobbed at Hillary, as her lead in the new WaPo poll is still double digits. Note in particular the results of question 35, where she’s killing Obama and Edwards in terms of perceived “strength,” experience, and crisis management. George Will has a column out today arguing that the next election is about competence more so than ideology; the results here seem to bear him out, at least on the Democratic side. Among Republicans, Rudy’s lead is steady thanks to his own reputation for “strength” and crisis management, but in this case competence may only go so far. Check out the trend in question 44. Oof.

Tonight’s wild-card issue: Hillary’s semi-flip-flop on gay marriage. While you wait for kickoff, enjoy this YouTube interview with the silkiest pony in the field. No need to sit through all of it; you’re looking for the “shotgun round” that begins with around 1:10 left to go. Silky sure does have some interesting ideas about what’s in the Constitution and what isn’t.

Update: Here’s the dust-up over Iraq funding at the beginning. Edwards calls out Hillary and Obama — by name — and they respond, followed by Gravel, Kucinich, and Greasy Joe. Big fun.

Update: Hot Air alumnus Ian Schwartz has the video of Greasy Joe sneering that Bush has emboldened the enemy.

Update: Here’s one for the next edition of the boss’s book about unhinged liberals: Eric Alterman was arrested for allegedly refusing to leave the debate spin room.

Update: Obama’s getting good buzz tonight for his whining about how “divisive” it is to debate whether English should be the official language. For the record, Gravel was alone among the candidates in thinking it should be.

Update: Here’s the last of the three buzzworthy clips. Trust Wolf Blitzer to ask Kucinich a question about Osama Bin Laden and not press him as to whether he thinks Osama was, in fact, responsible for 9/11. Sounds like Kucinich thinks he is now — but note what he says about trying anyone who’s violated international law in a tribunal. I wonder who he has in mind.

Comments

Edwards doesn’t know what a rich person is. Perhaps he could ask his neighbors for their opinion.

infidel4life on June 3, 2007 at 8:59 PM

a much better debate than MSNBC

BobH on June 3, 2007 at 9:00 PM

The audience looked like a bunch of Zombies.

abinitioadinfinitum on June 3, 2007 at 9:01 PM

abinitioadinfinitum on June 3, 2007 at 8:55 PM

Gravel or Kucinich.

infidel4life on June 3, 2007 at 8:59 PM

Or his former colleagues at the hedge fund.

BobH on June 3, 2007 at 9:00 PM

For some reason, CNN has been on the offensive on the Democrats lately.

amerpundit on June 3, 2007 at 9:06 PM

Unlike any of the others, Dennis Kucinich can’t even present himself as moderate or reasonable in a forum such as this.

I know the guy has no chance to win…thank God.

asc85 on June 3, 2007 at 9:07 PM

CNN didn’t do bad at all.

I have to comment that during these after interviews Hillary has to send out a spokesperson. So Hillary

flyboy777 on June 3, 2007 at 9:08 PM

The guy on the left I don’t even know who he is, is he Gravel?

abinitioadinfinitum on June 3, 2007 at 9:08 PM

Little green footballs has a poll up as to who people think won the Democratic debate.

Ron Paul is winning easily

William Amos on June 3, 2007 at 9:11 PM

He was the only one with the sand, He almost sounded like a (Dare I say it) Republican.

abinitioadinfinitum on June 3, 2007 at 9:12 PM

Ron Paul is winning easily

William Amos on June 3, 2007 at 9:11 PM

LMAO BIG TIME

abinitioadinfinitum on June 3, 2007 at 9:13 PM

I happened to flip past while Biden was giving the most bizarre answer on the fence. It will stop drugs, but not people? WTF?!?!?

SouthernGent on June 3, 2007 at 9:16 PM

Daily Kos poll:

#1 Edwards (25%)
#2 Obama (21%)
#3 Clinton (18%)

hahahahahahahaha

IrishEi on June 3, 2007 at 9:17 PM

I’m going to taint the KOS poll right now…bwahahaha.

SouthernGent on June 3, 2007 at 9:21 PM

Ron Paul is winning easily

William Amos on June 3, 2007 at 9:11 PM

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

steveegg on June 3, 2007 at 9:21 PM

90-minute debate on Iraq, Plugs Biden? About 80 minutes of that would be unneeded seeing your party is of one vision, one purpose (and that is to surrender to the Islamokazis faster than the modern French).

steveegg on June 3, 2007 at 9:23 PM

The Democrats say, “This is the Democrats war”, not Bush’s.

amerpundit on June 3, 2007 at 8:51 PM

Can’t finish what they started, eh?

CyberCipher on June 3, 2007 at 9:23 PM

I still say Richardson looks like Spanky and Kucinich like a sawed off Alfalfa.

Limerick on June 3, 2007 at 9:25 PM

I still say Richardson looks like Spanky and Kucinich like a sawed off Alfalfa.

Limerick on June 3, 2007 at 9:25 PM

Nailed it Limerick! LOL

IrishEi on June 3, 2007 at 9:27 PM

The Europeans have official languages of their countries, why not the US? By the way, Hillary is full of it when she says that making English the official language would make other languages disappear. If that was the case, why do I see things in English and other languages here in Norway when the official language is Norwegian? Depends entirely on how you make the legislation, Hillary.

Seixon on June 3, 2007 at 9:32 PM

I think, what a lot of people missed (cuz I dont seem to see it on the regular blogs..)

kucinich actually said, with no disclaimers whatsoever, that if given the chance, he wouldn’t take out osama bin laden.

why is this getting zero play from the media?

I just floated this on one of my normal boards, you know, 20 something gamers mostly, and id say a good half of the liberals agreed with him.

triple on June 3, 2007 at 9:35 PM

I can’t escape the feeling that Edwards thinks he’s competing in a beauty contest instead of a presidential debate. He just needs a cute little sash that says “AMBULANCE CHASERS” to show who he’s representing. And a tiara.

ReubenJCogburn on June 3, 2007 at 9:38 PM

At least Edwards won’t get boo’d in Mexico City.

SouthernGent on June 3, 2007 at 9:42 PM

Alterman Arrested at Debate

Media Matters shill Eric Alterman was arrested tonight at the Democratic debate

TheBigOldDog on June 3, 2007 at 9:55 PM

These morons couldn’t lead a bull out of a starting gate.

wryteacher on June 3, 2007 at 10:02 PM

Does Gravel really want to discuss what happened after we left Vietnam? I don’t think that would be smart for them…

Gianni on June 3, 2007 at 10:38 PM

This was SO painful to watch… yet educational. Unbelievable that anybody takes any of these candidates seriously.

MsUnderestimated on June 3, 2007 at 10:55 PM

Ah yes Kucinich, assassinating terrorist leaders “opens up our leaders to assassination” – because Osama bin Laden would have never contemplated assassinating our leaders without us having assassinating someone else first. Ryyyyte.

The liberal mind on full display, folks.

Seixon on June 3, 2007 at 11:00 PM

On the official language question, some interesting facts:

Canada, two official languages, English and French. 60% speak English, 23% speak French.

USA, 82% speak English. No official language.

Can Hillary make sense of this for me, since Canada is always such a model country to compare with?

Seixon on June 3, 2007 at 11:02 PM

OH I feel so much safer The Iron Lady has spoken. Well she says My husband fired a couple missles at bin laden. Mercy glad we cleared that up. For a minute there I was getting worried. Ha Ha Ha So whats Gravel the Ron Paul of the Democrat Party? Ha Ha

sonnyspats1 on June 3, 2007 at 11:07 PM

Wow…there’s a car missing a few clowns somewhere…

Pilgrim on June 3, 2007 at 11:09 PM

Let me get this straight: Edwards says everything on the shotgun list is a right, not a privilege, except owning a handgun?

I bet he deliberately lowers his voice any time he’s hoping a video segment will hit the cutting room floor.

JM Hanes on June 3, 2007 at 11:13 PM

Whew I feel so much more secure knowing that the Iron Ladyshands will be at the helm. She says my husband fired a couple missles at Bin Laden. HMMM… Well now thats a horse of a different color. Is it Gravel? This guy is the Ron Paul of the democrats. I think Gravel won this debate hands down.

sonnyspats1 on June 3, 2007 at 11:20 PM

Oh crap double post. Sorry people.

sonnyspats1 on June 3, 2007 at 11:22 PM

This was a lot better than msnbc’s debate, imho. At least Wolf bothered to repeat the question after the candidates answered by talking point.

Spirit of 1776 on June 3, 2007 at 11:42 PM

After watching the first video, it hard to believe Edwards actually attended law school. How in the heavens >(oops, the left doesn’t believe in it) did Edwards ever pass the bar! I think North/South Carolina (can’t remember where he’s actually from, probably cause I don’t really care)should re-exam their test!

SSG Fuzzy on June 4, 2007 at 12:08 AM

Didn’t watch but skimmed the articles here and on Drudge.

At the conclusion of the two-hour debate, the candidates were asked what their top priority would be for their first 100 days in office:

—Edwards: “travel the world” and “re-establish America’s moral authority.”

—Clinton: bring home U.S. troops from Iraq.

—Obama: bring home U.S. troops and push for national health care.

Heh, silky, I’m sure they’d give a darn about you – oh, I know, he’ll tell the U.N. they’re now in charge because we’re so grand we can afford to give up our real authority and sniff some of the “moral authority” bull steam.

Clinton – not even she believed what she said. No one will bring home the troops this soon. Liar.

Obama – same as in Clinton – and don’t kid me on that “national health care” thing – I know it too well.

What the rest of them said doesn’t matter, not that what these 3 said does…

But this I loved the best – my best laugh of the day, and Mr. Clinton’s for sure

Asked what role former President Clinton would play in a new Democratic White House, she said, “Bill Clinton, my dear husband, would be sent around the world as a roving ambassador.”

He would love nothing better – that man will work his heart out, he’ll work harder than ever in all his life, just to land that job. Mark.my.words.

Entelechy on June 4, 2007 at 12:29 AM

Bin Laden just needs to travel around with 50 women and children in tow. Them crusaders wouldn’t be able to touch him then.

jaychandra on June 4, 2007 at 12:40 AM

whose that Alaskan guy… I didn’t watch the debate but good clips.

frreal on June 4, 2007 at 12:46 AM

Why is there an elf running for the Democratic nomination? Are elfs a recognized minority in America?

Griz on June 4, 2007 at 12:51 AM

Well, I didn’t watch it (I actually forgot!). I TRIED to watch the video clips here, but I only lasted 3-1/2 minutes into the Iraq one. Those people are utterly intolerable. Painful. And I’m pretty sure Silky Pony is borderline retarded. He is unspeakably detestable. Hillarity and Obamination must thank God every day for him, because he makes them look pleasant in comparison (dead wrong, but pleasant–and that’s sayin’ something, especially in Shrillary’s case).

bamapachyderm on June 4, 2007 at 1:01 AM

I don’t know if anyone else noticed it, but during the “don’t ask, don’t tell” Q&A, you could clearly see the platforms that hillary and kucinich were standing on. His was probably 4″ tall and hillary’s was at least 2″ tall. Hillary should get some of those frankenstein boots for the campaign trail. I hope that the republican candidate uses that to his advantage just like bush sr. did when he ran against dukakis.

csdeven on June 4, 2007 at 1:34 AM

Missed the debate mostly but thanks to the funny commenting
here I was able to re live the entirely missable experience. Thanks for the comedy here lol.

chicagoray on June 4, 2007 at 3:15 AM

SouthernGent on June 3, 2007 at 9:16 PM

hahaha! I was laughing at that too! As if drugs roamed the border all by their lonesome looking for an area not protected by a fence.

What a flaming fool he is!

csdeven on June 4, 2007 at 7:41 AM

I only could stand 60 seconds of this “debate” (when Shrillery started laughing…my ears bled). But has anyone informed any of these geniuses that Bush isn’t running? My God…all of them put together couldn’t complete one brain!
And…as Larry the Cableguy said regarding their hero, Slick Clintoon…”Dick Cheney may have shot his friend in the face, but Bill Clinton did the same to Monica Lewinsky.”

lynnv on June 4, 2007 at 7:49 AM

The only type of Republican nominee who will be able to run without much of the Bush baggage will be one who opposes Bush on a MAJOR issue. So, if a candidate is not firmly against the immigration bill, a vote for that candidate in the primary may as well be a vote for a Democrat in the general election.

Immigration is the only wedge issue left to Republicans. Furthermore, there are plenty of middle-ground voters who would love to punish the GOP again (having done so once in the last election) for the mess in Iraq.

doufree on June 4, 2007 at 8:46 AM

that hillary cackle is too much for me.
Are the Red Sox/Yanks on yet? sigh.

Hillary is a huge, lifelong fan of the Red Sox/Yanks. In fact, she always wanted to play pro baseball but The Man kept her down.

saint kansas on June 4, 2007 at 9:11 AM

Obama: Waaaaaaaaaaa! CNN promised not to ask any hard, divisive questions. Thats why I won’t debate on FOX! You cheated, Wolf! Waaaaaaaaa!

ctmom on June 4, 2007 at 9:20 AM

ctmom on June 4, 2007 at 9:20 AM

Did he really say that?

csdeven on June 4, 2007 at 9:27 AM

After the cameras were turned off.

ctmom on June 4, 2007 at 9:32 AM

Hillary is scarred from the 94 fight. She looks it.

aqvik on June 3, 2007 at 7:46 PM

Yeah, she looks all scarred and bloody, what with her 13 point lead over Osama, and all… “Wishful thinking”, bro.

Jaibones on June 4, 2007 at 9:52 AM

After the cameras were turned off.
ctmom on June 4, 2007 at 9:32 AM

I knew the guy was an empty suit.

Hey, guys! We got some new buttons for our comments! Is one of them a preview feature?

csdeven on June 4, 2007 at 9:56 AM

I feel like I have just been awarded a doctorate…maybe an honorary one. A multimillionaire and two-time Presidential candidate (with admirable hair!) just finished a series of questions (“did you say ‘shotgun'”? Yeah, why?), and got every f**king question wrong*, hilariously, while I got every one right.

AP, what do I win?

(*Note: on my scorecard, he got no points for his pandering nonsense about “having to earn citizenship”, so one year is not enough, but five years definitely entitles you to citizenship.)

Jaibones on June 4, 2007 at 9:57 AM

OK…am I the only one who doesn’t know what a “spin room” is?

flipflop on June 4, 2007 at 9:58 AM

Now the buttons aren’t there. What gives?

csdeven on June 4, 2007 at 9:59 AM

flipflop on June 4, 2007 at 9:58 AM

The spin room is where they have discussion where they admit they are partisan hacks as opposed to their regular broadcast where they lie about being partisan hacks.

csdeven on June 4, 2007 at 10:01 AM

Hillary looked completely contrived and unwilling to speak up without permission. Gravel really blasted them and exposed them for their political game playing with our troops lives. I never realized that the dems could defund the war by doing NOTHING. What a bunch of cowards.

csdeven on June 4, 2007 at 10:05 AM

So, the Democrats now think CNN is unfair to them? Apparently, everyone’s unfair to them. They need to do a pow-wow and decide who’s being unfair to them.

They don’t want to answer hypothetical? What, should we wait for it to actually happen, for them to tell us how they’d handle it?

amerpundit on June 4, 2007 at 11:13 AM

So much for equality for candidates…all three together hmmmmnn.

I just hope we have Rudy in the whitehouse for you guys to beat up on.

tomas on June 4, 2007 at 11:21 AM

And another thing about Hillary, everytime she got in trouble, she blamed Bush. I guess they figured not having a plan other than bashing Bush worked so well in 2006, she might as well keep riding the wave. But she really was at a loss for precanned responses from her handlers when Gravel put the Iraq war squarely on her shoulders.

hahaha. I love it!

csdeven on June 4, 2007 at 11:51 AM

What happened to Ian? I thought he was part of Hot Air. Did I miss a memo?

John on June 4, 2007 at 12:04 PM

He resigned. Michelle mentioned it in the housekeeping post last week.

Allahpundit on June 4, 2007 at 12:05 PM

I think Ian started his own blog. There’s a link crediting Ian in one of the updates in this thread.

csdeven on June 4, 2007 at 12:19 PM

And another thing about Hillary, everytime she got in trouble, she blamed Bush.

How come that never works for me?

manwithblackhat on June 4, 2007 at 12:28 PM

Jihadists all over the world are using these YouTube clips as entertainment today, I betcha. It’s stand-up comedy of the highest order: Dem candidates claiming they’ll keep the country secure! They must be splitting their sides in the caves right now…

Halley on June 4, 2007 at 12:32 PM

Ok, if English shouldn’t be the official language, all future Democratic Party debates should have each question asked in a different language.

Senator Clinton, the question and answer will be in Mandarin Chinese…

Senator Obama, please respond in Swedish …

Mr. Edwards, in Russian …

Actually, that could be quite amusing. Especially if we have a list of what languages they know ahead of time to avoid anyone getting a language they know… or maybe a lotto-picker with all the world’s languages.

gekkobear on June 4, 2007 at 1:23 PM

Would that be a roving hands ambassador?

Ann on June 4, 2007 at 2:53 PM

I had to miss the debates because it would have made my eyes and ears bleed, but I wouldn’t have missed these comments for anything!
Thanks, everyone–hilarious!

Jen the Neocon on June 4, 2007 at 3:30 PM

Jen the Neocon on June 4, 2007 at 3:30 PM

I looped a fit of cackling laughter that Hillary let loose with last night. The devil appeared. And I didn’t even play it backwards.

csdeven on June 4, 2007 at 3:38 PM

Update: “Assassinate Osama?” video added

Is that why he has Secret Service protection now? Oh wait — sorry. Never mind. **blush**

CyberCipher on June 4, 2007 at 6:09 PM