Murtha: Iraq war inspired JFK terror plot

posted at 3:25 pm on June 3, 2007 by Allahpundit

Never mind that FBI wiretaps caught Russell Defreitas, the lead suspect, complaining about Israel’s war with Hezbollah, not Iraq. Never mind that Gadahn went out of his way in his latest tape to deny that the war in Iraq plays any central role in jihadist grievances (“[L]et us be clear. A pull-out from Iraq alone in the absence of compliance with the remainder of our legitimate demands will get you nowhere and will not save you from our strikes.”). And never mind that the 9/11 plot which Murtha claims came “from Afghanistan” didn’t involve any actual people who were, you know, from Afghanistan.

Spanky’s got his story and he’s sticking to it. I’ll let Tony Blair answer via his piece in the Economist, which you really should read if you haven’t yet:

It is said that by removing Saddam or the Taliban—regimes that were authoritarian but also kept a form of order—the plight of Iraqis and Afghans has worsened and terrorism has been allowed to grow. This is a seductive but dangerous argument. Work out what it really means. It means that because these reactionary and evil forces will fight hard, through terrorism, to prevent those countries and their people getting on their feet after the dictatorships are removed, we should leave the people under the dictatorship. It means our will to fight for what we believe in is measured by our enemy’s will to fight us, but in inverse proportion. That is not a basis on which you ever win anything…

The truth is that the conflict in Iraq has mutated into something directly fuelled by the same elements that confront us everywhere. Yet a large, probably the larger, part of Western opinion would prefer us to withdraw. That is the extraordinary dulling of our senses that the terrorism has achieved. In the Palestinian question who gets the blame for lack of progress? The West. In Lebanon—a crisis deliberately provoked by, again, the same forces—who is held responsible? Israel.

In Afghanistan it is clear that the Taliban is receiving support, including arms from, again, elements of the Iranian regime. They have learned from elsewhere. They believe if they inflict enough chaos, enough casualties of Western soldiers, we will lose the will. It will become another “mess”. And if it does, the problem will be laid at the door of the Afghan government and its Western allies…

There is no alternative to fighting this menace wherever it rears its head. There are no demands that are remotely negotiable. It has to be beaten. Period.

Murtha also reiterates his absolute belief that Iraqis are going to smash AQ to itty bitty pieces the moment we’re gone, a point he’s been making for at least four months now. Exit question: If it’s as simple as that, how is AQ able to maintain a presence in Iraq given the fact that they’re currently being targeted by the U.S. military, the Iraqi military, Shiite militias, Sunni residents of Anbar province, and even other members of the Sunni insurgency?

Comments

Just another one of the many incompetent dinosaurs that need to be removed from congress and government

400lb Gorilla on June 3, 2007 at 3:37 PM

Murtha is a partisan schlub who would rather make his political points than to make sense.

Tony Blair, again, cuts to the heart of the issue, very eloquently as usual.

hillbillyjim on June 3, 2007 at 3:37 PM

I guess the Koran has no role in their desire to kill infidels…

Tim Burton on June 3, 2007 at 3:39 PM

‘The towels were so thick there I could hardly close my suitcase.’
Yogi Berra

Limerick on June 3, 2007 at 3:42 PM

I knew we should’ve fought the war from Japan.

amerpundit on June 3, 2007 at 3:49 PM

Umm How does 911 fit in there Murtha ? It happened BEFORE WE INVADED IRAQ !

Please stop showing your gross stupidity its embarrasing Murtha.

William Amos on June 3, 2007 at 3:53 PM

Dear Senator Jackwit Murtha:

Limerick on June 3, 2007 at 4:04 PM

And nevermind that the indictment says the plan was hatched 10 years ago:

NEW YORK — The apparent mastermind of a plot to create a deadly jet-fuel firestorm reaching from New York to New Jersey first hatched his plan more than a decade ago when he worked as a cargo handler at JFK Airport, according to a federal indictment.

crosspatch on June 3, 2007 at 4:05 PM

Like Mother Sheehan, this person is mentally ill. The difference is that this sad old fool has power now, thanks in part to Those Who Did Not Vote To Teach The Republicans A Lesson

Whoever gets the Repub nomination for Prez needs to make Murtha the Ugly Face of the Sordid Opposition–as much or more than Bug-Eyed Nancy P and The Pantsuit.

Janos Hunyadi on June 3, 2007 at 4:05 PM

Burn in Hell, Murtha.

SouthernGent on June 3, 2007 at 4:05 PM

Murtha is a disgusting jerk and a danger to the Republic. It’s a shame that the system allows anyone to stay on the public dole as long as this bum.

rplat on June 3, 2007 at 4:07 PM

video here

Murtha bloopers

William Amos on June 3, 2007 at 4:08 PM

northerners make great choices for their senators!

lorien1973 on June 3, 2007 at 4:14 PM

Excellent article, very insightful. Anyone who thinks Blair was ‘Bush’s lapdog’ has obviously never bothered to listen to what he has to say. Britain is losing a good leader.

infidel4life on June 3, 2007 at 4:18 PM

lorien – I live two congressional districts away and worked against this blubbering thief. When the local paper in Johnstown refuses to print anything that might be seen as derogatory and will not carry any stories about his primary opponent, it’s hard to get traction.

MCPO Airdale on June 3, 2007 at 4:22 PM

The blame the media gambit doesn’t work on me in the 21st century. I find it -very- hard to believe that the majority of PA residents agree with these comments and everything else he’s done/said. And it’s not just him. It’s a systemic problem across the north and west coast.

Let’s face it. The south is the only reliable place where you can elect a sane candidate these days. And we are made fun of by our own party. How sad is that?

lorien1973 on June 3, 2007 at 4:35 PM

lorien, 9/10 times I’d agree with you, but PA is a special case. Its the second oldest state in the union, which means that the elderly, who are the most likely to vote as well, mostly rely on old MSM sources for news (as in network evening news and major papers), which means they don’t have a strong alternate media influence.

Plus there are lots of strong pockets of leftism in PA, and leftists from NY and NJ moving here to escape the taxes that they imposed on themselves. Of course they then support more Dems here, because ruining two states wasn’t enough apparently…

Bad Candy on June 3, 2007 at 4:43 PM

lorien, 9/10 times I’d agree with you, but PA is a special case.

Let’s assume PA is a special case. I’ll grant that, given I know nothing about PA. It does not explain MA, ME,NH, RI, NY, VT (well, vT explains VT, so forget that one) and the other new england states. Doesnt explain WA, OR, CA either. The only thing I can come up with is self hate, french style. Is there any other possibility?

lorien1973 on June 3, 2007 at 4:51 PM

Its well know that people vote mostly based on name recognition. Too many people just vote more about “Hey hes a democrat and therefor for programs I like” rather than “Hey I like what this guy says”

I talked to a guy whoi ran for congress in 1982. The then Sitting congressman (a democrat) was retiring and leaving the seat open. This guy who was running as a republican was a decorated veitnam veit.

What the dems did was put up the son of the retiring congressman. They went for name recognition over experince. The congressman’s son was a lawyer in Washington DC.

Short of it name beat out experience. And that Son has won reelection to the house every time since 1982. That house seat has been in his family since 1968. In fact I worked on another campaign for a woman candidate against him and his reply to that was he hoped one day that his daughter would be the congress represenative after him.

That congressman ? Alan Mollohan of WV.

William Amos on June 3, 2007 at 4:53 PM

And he was a Marine? Can you imagine what kind of officer he was?

I can’t…

rmgraha on June 3, 2007 at 4:54 PM

John Murtha lives at the corner of Senile Street and Corrupt Bastard Lane. He’s a national disgrace, and a living argument for term limits.

ReubenJCogburn on June 3, 2007 at 5:31 PM

I can’t explain the rest of the Northeast. PA isn’t heavy left like the rest of the Northeast, but its crawling left, which is why Casey ran pro-gun and pro-life.

Bad Candy on June 3, 2007 at 5:35 PM

And he was a Marine? Can you imagine what kind of officer he was?

I can’t…

rmgraha on June 3, 2007 at 4:54 PM

Murtha, I served with Marines. I knew Marines. Marines are friends of mine. Murtha , you’re no Marine

Wade on June 3, 2007 at 5:57 PM

This just in: Murtha is an idiot.

It’s Murtha’s job to say crap like this. in sports, there’s always the semi-retarded fat guy that the coach only sends in to poke the other team’s best player in the eye. In Democratic politics, Murtha is the semi-retarded fat guy that’s only sent in to blame Bush… and quickly whisked away.

Obviously, self-respect rarely comes into play.

Opinionnation on June 3, 2007 at 6:00 PM

The good folks of PA need only to effectively use Murtha’s own words to send him packing in ’08. May they succeed.

My respect for Tony Blair increases significantly with his choice of words in that piece. Concise, passionate, effectively spoken. He tried very hard to save his nation. While he is no Margaret Thatcher, it seems he governed more on principle than expediency, and I believe history will be kind to him on the whole.

The leftists (and Birchers, in ad odd bedfellow moment) say we wrongly removed peace and security from Iraq. I believe that to be a lie, but let’s assume the argument has merit for a moment. I submit that Russia had great peace and security in the 1950s and 60s. There was no joy, no freedom, and no prospect for improvement, but boy, was there security. A totalitarian police state is always good for that.

In removing the prevailing totalitarian regime in Iraq, we provided the prospect of freedom and future improvement to millions of Iraqi citizens, at the cost of such an artificial security. Until they can finish crossing the threshhold into a sustainable government, it is our responsibility to protect them from enemies within and without. Whether we were right or wrong to have begun, this is now the only right course to continue with.

Freelancer on June 3, 2007 at 6:34 PM

Yes. Nannystatism. Every state on your list is left of center, some to a larger degree than others, and dominated by left wing multi-culti crap. I’ve lived in a fair number of them, trust me on this. It’s not self-hate. It’s just the opposite. They believe in their innate goodness and the goodness of everyone around the world.

Anyone who believes as they do or is an underdog, good. Anyone who has achieved can only have done it by theft or cheating. It’s just inconceivable that people like Muslim fanatics could just be lunatics practicing 14th century crap no matter how strong the evidence. It must be our fault somehow.

JackStraw on June 3, 2007 at 6:44 PM

Now, if this was a Conservative saying dumb sh*t like Murtha said, the Left would be sending out IMPORTANT ACTION ALERTS, and probably calling for impeachment, if not assassination.

Though, the impeachment thing sounds right.

William Teach on June 3, 2007 at 6:52 PM

What a tool.

WisCon on June 3, 2007 at 6:57 PM

Murtha is still waiting for his Abscam payoff. Till then, he’ll be a little pissy bi-otch. The problem with west and east PA is that they are Dems and always have been. Even if their elected official is corrupt to the bone, they’ll still vote Dem. Just look at John Street of Philadelphia. It’s the placebo effect.

lorien1973 on June 3, 2007 at 4:35 PM

Then explain John Edwards?

Kini on June 3, 2007 at 7:29 PM

Then explain John Edwards?

Kini on June 3, 2007 at 7:29 PM

I didn’t say 100%, I said reliably. I don’t think there is even a republican northern senator anymore, is there? Aren’t a few northern states 100% democrat representatives and senators?

lorien1973 on June 3, 2007 at 8:25 PM

Let’s not forget, Edwards was a one term senator who was so pitiful that even the most liberal of papers got on him. His home town paper, liberal again, tagged him with the Senator Gone moniker.

Furthermore, the skuttlebut down here in Raleigh was that the Democrat Party, either the NC one or the national, asked him not to run, as they wanted to retain the seat.

And the first person to mention Edwards is from North Carolina, I’m going to have to go moonbat on them :D

William Teach on June 3, 2007 at 8:29 PM

I’m surprised that Murtha doesn’t blame the war in Iraq for JFK’s assassination.

Tantor on June 3, 2007 at 11:20 PM

I got 1:14 secs into that and had to turn that idiot off. There is a civi war in this country. I have never seen us so divided. The initial stages of this war are being fought in the media and in Congress by far left leaning liberal democrats against right leaning conservative republicans (who seem to be losing these intial skirmishes…I mean MM and HA and other conservative blogs can do just so much for the party…it needs to grow some and start helping) I just wonder when it’s going to get down to us. I still need to invest in some protection.

CCRWM on June 3, 2007 at 11:51 PM

Over to you
That is a very short synopsis of what I have learned. I don’t presume to call it advice to my successor. I have been reasonably fortunate rarely to receive public “advice” from my predecessors.

The job is difficult enough as it is, and, knowing that, I have nothing but support to offer my successor.

Wishing that Messrs Clinton, who said today that only the rich had it good under this admin. economically (how the Earth doesn’t swallow such liars is incomprehensible), and that monstosity of Carter would heed this advice. Just go away gracefully and give us all a break.

Entelechy on June 4, 2007 at 1:02 AM

…monstrosity is more real, and we need a brake Jimmy.

Entelechy on June 4, 2007 at 1:04 AM