McCain: Without amnesty, we might have riots here! Update: Video added

posted at 1:35 pm on June 3, 2007 by Allahpundit

Just like they do in France, you see. File this one away for the next time Bush starts screeching about “scaremongering” by amnesty opponents:

At one point McCain went back and forth with one audience member, who said he was upset that the immigration proposal before Congress is not tough enough.

The man asked McCain why the United States couldn’t execute large-scale deportations, as he had heard they did in France and other countries.

“In case you hadn’t noticed, the thousands of people who have been relegated to ghettos have risen up and burned cars in France,” McCain replied. “They’ve got huge problems in France. They have tremendous problems. The police can’t even go into certain areas in the suburbs of Paris. I don’t want that in the suburbs of America.”

What St. John neglects to mention is that France couldn’t deport those rioting “youths” even if it had the means. Most of them are French citizens, natively born to immigrant parents. So perhaps the real lesson of the French experience is that citizenship doesn’t guarantee assimilation. Or perhaps it’s the idea that if you doubt your ability to assimilate people culturally, be sure you can control how many of them are coming in. One candidate seems to understand that. And I’ve got a feeling he’s going to end up faring much better in the primaries than McCain.

Update: Tape everything!

Comments

Exit question: Does McCain break 10% in Iowa?

Exit answer: Nope.

steveegg on June 3, 2007 at 1:40 PM

In my opinion McCain is an idiot. The United States gives a group whatever it wants because it threatens to riot? I think not, and McCain is not only an idot but a fool who is trying to come up with reasons to give foundation to a political agenda that is based on reasons he does now wish publicly known.

Fred! is right. The “representatives” and president of the United States are out of touch with the American people. They are pursuing immigration policy that benefits their own special interests and political agenda at the expense of the nation and citizens. The Left wants political control, the right favor to corporate and wealthy interests for short term profit.

omegaram on June 3, 2007 at 1:48 PM

Good let them riot. It would be a great time to start roundin them up! Riots now or riots later, you decide. Mabey The National Guard will need to broaden its enlistment requirements, but I am sure there will be no shortage of volunteers. This is what they were established for.

sonnyspats1 on June 3, 2007 at 1:54 PM

I’ve actually “flip flopped” on this issue. I used to be, at least nominally, for some kind of amnesty. As a restaurant/bar owner for the past 15 years I’ve seen their work ethic. Don’t get me wrong, I only have legal residents working for me but that’s because I’ve helped two of them become legal. What changed my mind is all the high handed crap the pro amnesty people are pulling from both sides of the aisle. I’ve got an easy solution, build the damn wall FIRST. Then we can deal with the rest of the situation. I honestly believe if the wall is built and I mean the whole wall then most will accept some form of amnesty sans Tancredo and Buchanan.

Capitalist Infidel on June 3, 2007 at 1:58 PM

They will riot burn down the cities and create santuary cities under seige. They will creat an environment many Americans will see as a lost cause and not worth fighting for. Been their done that! Act Now!

sonnyspats1 on June 3, 2007 at 1:59 PM

there(sp)

sonnyspats1 on June 3, 2007 at 2:01 PM

This is what happens when laws are ignored. Time to bring down the hammer. No immigration bills until we display we are serious about executing and enforcing the existing laws.

Why can not our politicians understand we do not trust them to enforce laws? Show us by actions not words and then maybe the citizens of the USA will be more receptive to new immigration laws.

Wade on June 3, 2007 at 2:10 PM

So now it is mob rule???

brtex on June 3, 2007 at 2:11 PM

Piningfor the good old days.

sonnyspats1 on June 3, 2007 at 2:11 PM

Mr McCain, adopting a passive agresive style may have served you well while a guest at the Hanoi Hilton, but it is not the way to face all problems in life. Sometimes you must face problems head on and that means confrontation is necessary. There can be no reaching across the border, to paraphrase something you say quite often, in resolving this problem or at least getting it into a manageable state.
I will always admire your service and sacrifice in the service of our country, however I can not say the same about your statesmanship.

LakeRuins on June 3, 2007 at 2:15 PM

I guess we should just give up now.
Because if we can’t stand up to illegal terrorism, I seriously doubt we can stand up to Islamic terrorism!

abinitioadinfinitum on June 3, 2007 at 2:21 PM

Makes you proud dosen’t it. Seriously it almost brings tears to my eyes. Look what they’ve done to MYhometown. Different nationally and yes a different reason but the same results. They have created a permanant puerto rican colony.

sonnyspats1 on June 3, 2007 at 2:22 PM

Once again our “leaders” opt for the easy, cowardly way instead of the right, lawful way. And then have the stones to advocate that we all do the same. What use is a lawmaker if he has no repect for the law?

P. James Moriarty on June 3, 2007 at 2:24 PM

I believe in the free market-capitalist model but this whole bill reeks of protecting ‘business’ instead of protecting the country. Call me a nut if you want but the isn’t about inclusion, this is about net profits.

Limerick on June 3, 2007 at 2:25 PM

Anyway I’ll try the link again.

sonnyspats1 on June 3, 2007 at 2:28 PM

Something very strange is going on here. With the number of American citizens against this amnesty bill and raising hell about it these republicans who are trying to jam the thing down our throats seem to have totally lost their minds. Whatever happened to represenative government? Whatever happened to the will of the people?

They keep telling us that it is not feasible to round up the illegals and send them back home. When the proposed bill was unveiled a couple of weeks ago somebody asked what the government would do if the illegals didn’t choose to come forward and sign up and pay their fine, etc. Chertoff (or Jerkoff) or whatever his name is answered that they would round them up and deport them. What? You just said it couldn’t be done.

These people who are pushing this bill have resorted to lying to us calling us bigots, nazis and haters of immigrants among other things. What the hell is going on? Somebody had better check their Koolaid before they drink any more.

I have never been so afraid for the future of our country. Fred! it’s time to come forward and tell the American people what your proposal is for this most serious problem.
Tell it to us straight and you could be a shoo-in!

OBX Pete on June 3, 2007 at 2:35 PM

But if we even just speak out against this bill we’re “bigots” or “nativists”. They, however, must riot in order to get their point across. Maybe they’ll riot in San Francisco. It’ll be fun to watch the kooks try and come up with a reason to not stop them.

Another point: Go to Hell, John McCain! :)

SouthernGent on June 3, 2007 at 2:45 PM

Maybe they’ll riot in San Francisco.
SouthernGent on June 3, 2007 at 2:45 PM

I’d buy a ticket to see that.

abinitioadinfinitum on June 3, 2007 at 2:53 PM

It would make alot more sense if McCain just ran as a Democrat.

infidel4life on June 3, 2007 at 2:56 PM

It would be a good thing, in the end,if they DID riot.
It would wake some people up.
Yes, please riot, and make sure you carry signs that say things like
“welfare is our right!” and “Get out of OUR continent, gringos.” Yes, and burn a little, and wreck some things.
Please.

lizzee on June 3, 2007 at 3:01 PM

To control riots:

Build Wall.

Enforce laws.

Fire pimping politicos.

profitsbeard on June 3, 2007 at 3:09 PM

Another Exit question:
If your starting premise is that it is impossible to deport all the aliens, doesn’t that mean you have already granted defacto amnesty?

Resolute on June 3, 2007 at 3:15 PM

Somewhere we have lost loyalty to America as an even somewhat important issue, maybe since about 1965 the importance of loyalty slowly evaporated.

Before that allegiance to America and the American way was THE important value, if you weren’t going to be a loyal citizen you could not be a citizen and in fact you could not be “under the jurisdiction of” the US unless you were a sincere, loyal American.

If new immigrants had trickled in as has been the design of our system, assimilation becomes a none issue, emigration en masse is the opposite, it’s invasion with no assimilating necessary, just ask the advocacy and civil rights groups, we can’t force any migrant to do anything.

Speakup on June 3, 2007 at 3:16 PM

Let them riot…the riots won’t last long and then we won’t have as many to deport.

DoctorDentons on June 3, 2007 at 3:16 PM

With Amnesty, we might have riots….

Either way McCain you lose.

Tim Burton on June 3, 2007 at 3:38 PM

It would make alot more sense if McCain just ran as a Democrat.

infidel4life on June 3, 2007 at 2:56 PM

In which country?

SailorDave on June 3, 2007 at 3:44 PM

I think this is correct with the addition that the American people have been reaching out to touch “the representatives” and the President and they don’t like it!

I think we need to reinstitute a representative government because most of them could give a crap less about the public so long as we want or need anything different from they’re own agenda.

Speakup on June 3, 2007 at 3:56 PM

I have no problem with peaceful protests. People can express themselves with speeches, signs, candle-lit marches, whatever. The Constitution guarantees peaceful assembly and the right to petition the government for redress of grievances.

While I believe that the content of some speech may be prosecutable, as the 1st Amendment does NOT protect either defamation, treason, or seditious conspriacy (or shouting fire in a theater), the Constitution allows people to say what they want without prior restraint, as long as the gathering is “peacable.”

McCain is PREDICTING that the illegal aliens will riot, if we don’t give the illegal aliens amnesty. He’s not merely speculating. And this warning should be taken seriously.

Any demonstrations would be a bad thing for the illegal alien community and their cause, if they turned violent. Given the majority opinion that is already anti-amnesty, attempting force to achieve their goals would backfire, I think. It would doom their goals and make it impossible for them to remain sympathetic.

If the illegal aliens started rioting — the marches last year were an implicit threat to do so if they didn’t get their way, BTW — then, no doubt most Americans would respond with a big “F-U.” And the consequences that followed would not be pretty.

In principle, to knuckle under to a group’s open threat to cause violence if they don’t get their way means to surrender to anarchy. It establishes a precedent. It means that the next group with an agenda will “do what works:” threaten (or employ) force to get their way.

If a group does riot, employing wide spread violence, that’s not “peaceful protest.” That’s called “rebellion” and “sedition.”

America ought NOT to tolerate it: Not the idea, nor the threat if they don’t get their way. Certainly not by people who are NOT citizens; don’t have the right to be here in the first place and who are here on OUR sufferance; and who could be reasonably considered as having invaded our country by violating our borders.

I would have no objection, in this case, to responding with force to any violence they initiate: Dead lines (look up the origin of the term) and the order for “GUNS UP!” would be both legal and appropriate in such circumstances.

If you disagree or think that’s a little harsh, I refer you to the history of the race riots of the 60’s, specifically the Detroit riot of 1967. Mitt’s father was governor of Michigan at the time when Detroit went up in the flames of a race riot. In one of the few instances of actual use of regular army troops to quell a “civil disturbance” — what nice euphamism for a wide spread, ORGANIZED race riot. And yes, the violence after day 1 was organized by certain black power groups — since the Civil War, the Michigan National Guard (who were later federalized) and 4 days later, the 82nd Airborne were sent into the parts of Detroit where the rioting, arson, sniping, and looting was going on.

A friend of mine who was serving in the 82nd at the time and deployed to Detroit, told me that the Guard was unable to put down the rioting, resulting in the deployment of 82nd 4 days into the riot. They took control of the city. It took the 82nd only a few hours to put down the “riot”. Once they responded to the snipers with the .50 MA DUCES on their APCs, the “fight” went out of the “movement.”

If you remember the LA riots of 1992, when the mob came to attack the Korean stores, the owners were behind barricades and on the roofs shooting INTO the crowd, and their property was not destroyed or looted.

Unless you’ve lived through an urban riot, as I did in Chicago in 1966 and after King’s murder in 1968, you may not have an appreciation of the danger they create to threaten innocent people, their lives and property. And you learn to appreciate that the best way to “cool down” the riot, if sweet reason doesn’t work, is by overwhelming force, including deadly force and machine guns, if necessary.

It would be a mistake for the illegal aliens to turn violent to achieve their goals. It would have exactly the opposite result they would hope for.

georgej on June 3, 2007 at 4:09 PM

fred? sez….

“You’ve got to secure the border first, before you do anything,” he said. “The members say it’s right here in this bill: the border. The response is, ‘We don’t care what’s on a piece of paper — secure the border.’ This piece of paper doesn’t secure the border.”

Tsk, tsk, tsk. freddie, freddie, freddie. WHEN are you going to be original? That sentiment is 2 weeks behind the curve. I said this 2 weeks ago and I don’t NEED a red pickup truck!

csdeven on June 3, 2007 at 4:55 PM

See there csdeven, Fred listens to you; you therefore should be milder in your attacks on the man :)

Capitalist Infidel on June 3, 2007 at 1:58 PM

Similar stories here – helped several with paperwork and lending money to acquire homes, legally, when banks weren’t so eager to help. Learned more Spanish than many of them English and being naturally good/supportive toward hard-working people who want nothing more than better their lives. Also, am totally for legal immigration, even for upping those numbers. It w/b ridiculous if I weren’t, and it would not be good for the U.S.

However, this blatant disregard of the laws, primarily by our employers and our government, the milking of the system, what I see professionally in the hospitals, the assumption that we owe anyone this much+, the never-ending influx, the semi-assimilation only, and first and foremost the security after 9/11/01 drive me against this monster of a bill.

All of it, my humanity toward the immigrants, and all these concerns+, make the proponents’ comments about our “racism” that much more egregious.

HA has a great opportunity to work directly with Fred Thompson. The blogosphere will play a prominent role in his run. He will enter at an ideal time regarding this bill. The Senate might by then have passed it, something which is not at all a given in the House. He and us could play a pivotal role in barring it from passing in the House, especially with his capability to reach the populace, beyond just the right. He is plain-spoken, clear, for the interests of this country and its people, and not a radical partisan.

It is high time that someone rise above abstract party politicking and political interest along, and looks out for the benefit of the larger majority and the country.

Entelechy on June 3, 2007 at 5:50 PM

Correction – last sentence should have been “…and political interests alone”…

Entelechy on June 3, 2007 at 6:14 PM

csdeven on June 3, 2007 at 4:55 PM

And the difference between you and Thompson?

He’s the only presidential candidate saying it like he means it right now. I’m not quite fully on the Thompson train at this point, but I enjoyed the speech.

It was certainly not deserving of the snark.

Slublog on June 3, 2007 at 6:58 PM

Actually, I’ll amend that. All politicians are worthy of snark.

Slublog on June 3, 2007 at 7:00 PM

Especially when Rudy is hiding under a rock hoping for all this to die out (since he supports this bill) and Romney sure hasn’t come out as strongly against ILLEGAL aliens as I would like. If Thompson is two weeks behind the curve on this then so are most of us. Personally I think “secure the border” is a timeless sentiment. I also agree with Fred that we shouldn’t even allow any sort of talk about what to do with the ILLEGAL aliens already here until our borders are secure and further illegal immigration stopped.

Buzzy on June 3, 2007 at 7:11 PM

I’ll repeat now and for ever-more: McCain cannot be trusted!

pocomoco on June 3, 2007 at 7:22 PM

Slublog on June 3, 2007 at 6:58 PM

fred? isn’t a candidate.

csdeven on June 3, 2007 at 7:29 PM

Buzzy on June 3, 2007 at 7:11 PM

My point is that fred? isn’t leading. He’s parroting what other conservatives have said and he’s doing it days and sometimes weeks later.

And Romney did come out strong right away.

csdeven on June 3, 2007 at 7:31 PM

Let them riot. I’ll be on the front lines telling you how it goes. I’m not worried one iota. If these people were coming to be proud Americans, nobody would care if there was an amnesty. They’re not.

PRCalDude on June 3, 2007 at 7:34 PM

fred? isn’t a candidate.
csdeven on June 3, 2007 at 7:29 PM

Not a declared candidate, no. But he’s running.

And his statement on this issue was stronger than that of the declared candidate I like right now. I was disappointed in the lackluster Rudy! response.

Slublog on June 3, 2007 at 7:38 PM

FRED THOMPSON 2008!

msipes on June 3, 2007 at 7:52 PM

If mom doesn’t give me some cookies, I’m going beat up my sister! That will teach her!

MCPO Airdale on June 3, 2007 at 8:49 PM

In case McCain didn’t notice …

Millions of Americans relegated to paying for illegal immigration don’t want any form of amnesty provided to them …

We could have tremendous problems in America …

The kind of problems McCain doesn’t want in the suburbs …

PRCalDude on June 3, 2007 at 7:34 PM

I will be right next to you.

I’ll repeat now and for ever-more: McCain cannot be trusted!

pocomoco on June 3, 2007 at 7:22 PM

Apparently, neither can you trust John Kyl.

AZ_Redneck on June 3, 2007 at 8:50 PM

Gee, there might be riots? He should thank his lucky stars that the legal citizens of the US are not rioting! …and why is that, again?

Will some high-level elected official please pull this statement out of their @ss:

“We choose to go to reverse the tide of illegal immigration in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard.”

Anything worth it is always hard. (hell, just check out the quality of my spelling) McCain, for one, should surely know that.

ej_pez on June 3, 2007 at 9:21 PM

.” Yes, and burn a little, and wreck some things.
Please.

lizzee on June 3, 2007 at 3:01 PM

It won’t be a little burning. They’ll go after as many gas stations as they can on a national level. This is gona be BIG!

sonnyspats1 on June 3, 2007 at 10:03 PM

Listening to Drudge…Senators think the outcry is dying down, and are concluding that the bill must be okay

WisCon on June 4, 2007 at 12:37 AM

WisCon, if that’s what they hear, because that’s what they want to hear, they’re more disonnected from reality than I thought. I believe the bill will pass the Senate and fail in the House.

Entelechy on June 4, 2007 at 1:18 AM

Well, saaaaay…. If ya get what ya want when ya riot: to the Torches and Pitchforks, Boys!!!

Claire on June 4, 2007 at 10:53 AM

I wonder why we invaded Afghanistan. Isn’t that more likely to cause unrest in the U.S. by offending terrorists?

I mean, since our foreign and domestic policies should be determined by whatever will minimize actions by violent non-citizens against U.S. Citizens, the Invasions of both Iraq and Afghanistan were obvious mistakes; that is if you take McCain’s talking points to their logical conclusion.

How come when I take McCain’s talking points to their logical conclusion I usually end up with something stupid?

gekkobear on June 4, 2007 at 1:41 PM

WisCon on June 4, 2007 at 12:37 AM

WisCon, if that’s what they hear, because that’s what the

They’re actually impervious to any kind of reason. They’ll use almost any justification to pass this bill. We don’t have democracy anymore.

PRCalDude on June 4, 2007 at 2:05 PM

The United States gives a group whatever it wants because it threatens to riot?

I don’t want to either, but the strategy has been working thus far. The Rodney King incident for example. Right or wrong the cops were acquited by a lawful judicial process and jury. RIOTS! Verdict overturned.

Case 2: O.J. Simpson! already riots were feared and heavily weighed on the outcome of that trial. “NOT GUILTY” was then the verdict.

Now we have illegals demanding rights and gettibng them when they riot under the guise of a “Protest” !

Cowards like McCain who run this country WILL give in to threats and intimidation! Right now that is the American way!

Bearhopi on June 4, 2007 at 7:03 PM