Video: Fox News reporter calls Chavez apologist an SOB on the air

posted at 5:47 pm on June 1, 2007 by Allahpundit

The reporter in question being Adam Housley, who’s been covering the protests in Caracas all week, and the apologist being NYC Councilman Charles Barron, whom you’ll remember more recently from his violent threats towards the NYPD and less recently as host to Zimbabwean dictator Robert Mugabe. Here he gives us a glimpse of what the western left must have sounded like during Stalin’s heyday. Don’t call him a useful idiot. He’s not an idiot; he’s just on the other side.

The dispute here is over Chavez’s shutdown of RCTV, the opposition television station in Caracas whose closure inspired the street demonstrations. The government has replaced it with something called Tves, which is precisely the type of “news” outlet you’d expect it to be:

It is now several days later, and it is clear that Tves is exactly the kind of bland, safe programming that makes private networks cringe. Most of the programming I have seen is one big infomercial for Venezuela and Chavez. Shows depict poor Venezuelans, happily prancing across the screen, despite the fact they look like they have been living in a hovel or the slums for years. Beautiful women stroll on the beaches, smiling in their bikinis and sandals. Educational programs are seemingly geared to 7-year-olds — for instance, having watched Tves, I feel certain that I can adeptly shave the kernels off of an ear of corn. And all of the original programming looks to have been shot with a home video camera, making my herky-jerky shooting look like award-winning videography. There is a constant underlying sound track that Sesame Street might want to look into for copyright infringement.

So yes, now the evil empire that RCTV was surreptitiously building is gone. But isn’t it curious that not only has their audience not gone to Tves, but the number of viewers of the last remaining private opposition network, **Globovision, has skyrocketed in less than a week?

The first two minutes or so are background; the fireworks begin, not surprisingly, after the daughter of a political prisoner injects some absolute moral authority. Exit question: Are the cheers at the end for Housley or something else going on off-camera?

The clip has been edited for brevity.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Damn, for a minute I thought this was another thread about Freda … er, Linda Chavez.

thirteen28 on June 1, 2007 at 5:49 PM

OH YEAH! Finally the press calls it (him) like it is!!

The Ritz on June 1, 2007 at 5:54 PM

Is it a proven fact that RCTV called for the assassination of Hugo Chavez? I haven’t seen any proof of that myself. I know Chavez claims it. But as far as I know, there was no investigation or prosecution of anyone at RCTV, was there?

All I’m aware of is that RCTV was against Hugo Chavez as Prersident and broadcast reasons why. But isn’t calling for a Presidential assassination a crime in Venezuela? I’m sure that if the allegation was true, Chavez would have done far more than just pull the plug on them.

P.S. That last line by the wanna-be Jesse Jackson/Reverend Al NYC councilman, “I’m an activist”, says it all about him right there.

SilverStar830 on June 1, 2007 at 5:56 PM

A-House is hardcore.

fusionaddict on June 1, 2007 at 5:56 PM

i find it hard to believe an elected official in this country is defending chavez. i guess oppression is okay, as long as its the left that’s oppressing. is that the lesson here?

lorien1973 on June 1, 2007 at 5:58 PM

I caught this during Cavuto’s show earlier. Housley was getting hot. If he’d have been face to face with Barron, I think he’d have ripped off his head and … well, you know the rest.

flipflop on June 1, 2007 at 5:59 PM

I don’t know if I can bear to watch this if it has Charles Barron in it.

vcferlita on June 1, 2007 at 6:00 PM

What’s skarry is dat der a enuff peepl in won area that are able to vote that kook into office.

freelance, can you halp me by checkking my spellin an grammmer?

csdeven on June 1, 2007 at 6:02 PM

That’s a pretty severe smackdown.

Krydor on June 1, 2007 at 6:02 PM

I absolutely love it!!! Viva noticias de FOX!!! Hooray for Adam Housle, give that man a raise.

NeverSubmit on June 1, 2007 at 6:05 PM

Charlie Barron is a punk sharpton wannabe.
I don’t know why Fox continues to have him on as
an athority on anything. He’s a trouble maker punk. . .
Adam, You did good.

Texyank on June 1, 2007 at 6:06 PM

Go Adam!

NYC Councilman Charles Barron

People actually voted this communist into office!?

That is waaay more scary than what is happening in Venezuela.

infidel4life on June 1, 2007 at 6:07 PM

Amazing they he actually sits in NY and says he has a better understanding of what is going on then the reporter in the field. I guess that is Trutherism. What you wish is true is, reality be damned!

Resolute on June 1, 2007 at 6:08 PM

What I want to see is actual proof of RCTV inciting a coup/assassination of Chavez. The Chavez supporters keep saying so, because Chavez claims so, but where’s the proof?

Show me a single video clip of RCTV calling for a violent coup or assassination of Chavez.

Seixon on June 1, 2007 at 6:11 PM

Adam Housley just said that RCTV is now on you-tube.
He still looks like He wants to pummel Barron.

abinitioadinfinitum on June 1, 2007 at 6:15 PM

Truth to power.

Blacklake on June 1, 2007 at 6:17 PM

DAMN!!!!

robblefarian on June 1, 2007 at 6:18 PM

I want to buy Mr. Housie a beer and Mr. Barron a one way ticket to Venezuela

Defector01 on June 1, 2007 at 6:19 PM

Am I understanding correctly? That moron has a diaper stinking fit because Adam interviews ONE young female among hundreds; yet, probably attends protest rallies of a couple dozen people and expects us to believe it a newsbreaking story. He accuses Adam of not attending the Chavez rallies; but does not watch Fox because he’s too busy playing activist?

As my mother would say to the moron: “Son you keep playin’ stupid with me and I’ll slap the black off ya.”

allie on June 1, 2007 at 6:20 PM

Barron is a punk and tyrant in training … Housely slapped his punk ass down.

darwin on June 1, 2007 at 6:21 PM

Two quick points. First, the guy is completely ignorant as to the facts. RCTV was shut down for allegedly supporting a coup attempt against pres Chavez about 4 years ago. It is Globovision that is currently being accused of threatening Chavez’ death. Secondly, they didn’t..it’s trumped up.

Another point is that it is useless to try and convince him…his mind won’t be changed. That is what is so offensive about the left, both over in Venezuela and in North America…I believe they KNOW the truth, but just perpetrate lies to advance their agenda and ideology. So, they just yell louder and, when in power, suppress, in order to prevent their lies from being overshadowed by the facts. This was a great example of that.

Blaise on June 1, 2007 at 6:22 PM

I don’t have time to watch TV, I’m an activist.

So then you lied. You said you watch Fox and Fox was not telling both sides. So that was a lie. What a joke.

Glynn on June 1, 2007 at 6:26 PM

you tell that son of a bitch . . .

One word: AWESOME!!!

Troy Rasmussen on June 1, 2007 at 6:29 PM

at least fox news calls out the idiots.

wryteacher on June 1, 2007 at 6:32 PM

That SOB would turn white with fear if he left the protection of the USA. Coward and activist.

Wade on June 1, 2007 at 6:32 PM

Not only is he a son of a b!tch, he is a b!tch!

Tim Burton on June 1, 2007 at 6:32 PM

Sweet..

heatherrc77 on June 1, 2007 at 6:45 PM

You’re not a congressman, thank God you’re not a congressman

Sweet indeed!

Glynn on June 1, 2007 at 6:51 PM

Not sure if this belongs here or on a Rosie post. You decide:

Andrew Levy reports on riots in Venezuela (via Red Eye)

geckomon on June 1, 2007 at 6:54 PM

Saw it, LOVED it!

Adam is da MAN.

BobH on June 1, 2007 at 6:55 PM

Outstanding Adam!

Who are the morons who elect Charlie Barron?

katieanne on June 1, 2007 at 6:57 PM

Is this guy Barron one of the guys who is trying to get a street named for a cop killer or some sort of thug from the 60′s – 70′s?

LakeRuins on June 1, 2007 at 7:11 PM

It… is exactly the kind of bland… programming that makes private networks cringe. Most of the programming I have seen is one big infomercial for Venezuela and Chavez… [e]ducational programs are seemingly geared to 7-year-olds… And all of the original programming looks to have been shot with a home video camera

Sounds like a cross between PBS and YouTube.

ScottMcC on June 1, 2007 at 7:13 PM

That’s why Fox is #1. The Eric Altermann types will say this is biased reporting. Shouldn’t all journalists have a bias for freedom?

Jim-Rose on June 1, 2007 at 7:14 PM

Why do they give that dirtbag any time on TV?

JayHaw Phrenzie on June 1, 2007 at 7:15 PM

What kind of lowlife is elected to a public office and then refers to himself as an “Activist”.

JayHaw Phrenzie on June 1, 2007 at 7:21 PM

You can’t trust anyone who says Chavez is a “hero”.

modnar on June 1, 2007 at 7:22 PM

Fantastic video!

alflauren on June 1, 2007 at 7:28 PM

First Charlie Rangle… now this tool. Where does NYC get these people?

BadBrad on June 1, 2007 at 7:29 PM

Chavez is a hero for humanity? What a JERK!

“I’m a activist” he says. It’s “I’am AN activist” for one, and for two, what does that mean? Activist. feh. That means nothing. Well, many times it means “I’m on Soros’ payroll” in one form or another. Activist. Is that leftist code to get you past a big security guard at a Kos Konvention?

CrimsonFisted on June 1, 2007 at 7:30 PM

It’s bullshit that Radio Caracas Televisión called for the assassination of Huguito. It’s just one of those Communist lies that get spread like wildfire by idiots like this guy and the Cindy Sheehans and Michael Moores of the world.

Baphomet on June 1, 2007 at 7:32 PM

Charles Barron has no conscience.. His soul was consumed by the darkside a long time ago and he doesn’t even know it.. as is the case with most marxists.

DivineMoments on June 1, 2007 at 7:38 PM

GIVE THAT MAN A PROMOOOTION!!!!!!!

ADAM HOUSLEY COULD USE HIS OWN SHOW!!!

I LOVE IT!!! I SWEAR MY THIGHS ARE SWEATING>>>I LOOOOOVE IT WHEN A CONSERVATIVE MAN GETS HIS GROOVE ON!!!!!!

HOUSLEY IN ’08 !!!

HOUSLEY IN ’08 !!!

HOUSLEY IN ’08 !!!

HOUSLEY IN ’08 !!!

seejanemom on June 1, 2007 at 7:39 PM

Truth to power.instigator.

Blacklake on June 1, 2007 at 6:17 PM

sonnyspats1 on June 1, 2007 at 7:40 PM

Bravo, Adam!

Lady Jane on June 1, 2007 at 7:45 PM

I was watching this when it happened and while Neal Cavuto spent quite a bit of time interviewing this guy, this clip is only a small piece of the whole interview, this councilman just kept repeating over and over how he thought Chavez was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Neal kept his cool but even he began to ask questions with a very condesending tone. A lot of Bush has done worse type statements and I have no boubt his constituents are a lot like Cynthia McKinney constituents, meaning he is a good represetative. Do you still wonder how the Islamofascists get followers when there are people like this who would be willing followers?

LakeRuins on June 1, 2007 at 7:57 PM

Brilliant repartee.

Nonfactor on June 1, 2007 at 8:05 PM

He’s not a “useful idiot” – he’s a useful tool.

Entelechy on June 1, 2007 at 8:13 PM

I just open the dictionary to the definition of misinformed and saw a picture of NYC Councilman Charles Barron.

Kini on June 1, 2007 at 8:14 PM

And Schumer, Rangel, Clinton, etc…

Kini on June 1, 2007 at 8:15 PM

Adam Housley, doing the work illegal immigrants elected officials won’ do.

Damn, I’m proud of Adam!

BobH on June 1, 2007 at 8:18 PM

Can’t wait to see Barron von scumbag’s and Glover’s reaction when President Thompson sends their favorite new tin pot the way of Noreiga.

Teddy on June 1, 2007 at 8:21 PM

Adam isn’t one to lose his cool either. He has reported from Iraq as an embed and covered several other hot spots. The one thing that sets Fox apart is it’s reporters. Whether it is Jennifer Griffin reporting from Israel, who had a key role in gettting their reporters back or Steve Harrigan with his blog stories, not often enough I might add, who always seems to be where the bullets are or Eric Shaun reporting on the latest shenanagins at the UN.
Fox has their pundit shows but they have their good news reporting also if they can just break the habit of devoting more to celebrity stories then they do to NEWS.

LakeRuins on June 1, 2007 at 8:27 PM

JayHaw…they give him air-time because they are FOX NEWS!!!

jatfla on June 1, 2007 at 8:42 PM

Cavuto: Here’s the bottom line. You like him. Right? That okay. You like Chavez?

Barron: It’s not like. I think he’s a hero for humanity.

It’s interesting. The left often accuses the right of having this penchant for needing authoritarian personalities to rally around. They’ve written books about it. Yet all I keep seeing are the liberal left that are wearing the hero Che T-shirts and fawning all over this petty wannabe dictator Chavez.

greggish on June 1, 2007 at 8:44 PM

Being an SOB myself, I’m offended. Don’t put me on a level playing field with THAT guy…. (snark)

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on June 1, 2007 at 9:05 PM

So what’s the babe quotient at the anti-Chavez rallies?

I say Chavez has jumped the shark on this one.

Gottafang on June 1, 2007 at 9:15 PM

Adam is on Fox live now. Finally, someone called that SOB an SOB ! Maybe YouTube can do someting worthwhile, and help slow down that Fidel wannabee

Janos Hunyadi on June 1, 2007 at 9:33 PM

…The Eric Altermann types will say this is biased reporting. Shouldn’t all journalists have a bias for freedom?

Jim-Rose on June 1, 2007 at 7:14 PM

You would think so, wouldn’t you? I think part of the explanation for the general bias toward tyrants “of the Left” among journalists is that, really, they want to rule and be free. If they learn of someone such as Chavez and imagine that he’s ruling in general conformity to their own desires, then even if his rule comes at the expense of others’ life, liberty, and estate, they feel a sympathetic increase in their own liberty.

Many similar cases are available for comparison, and they bear thinking about. For example, when I hear of common criminals being executed, jailed, or fined in my own city or any other in the world, I have a sympathetic feeling of rule and freedom, for the criminals’ loss of life, liberty, or estate is entirely in accordance to my own wish.

I’m proposing some physical, biological, and psychological similarities, not moral equivalence. No moral equivalence appears to exist between the destruction of those I like or love and the destruction of those I hate.

Kralizec on June 1, 2007 at 9:36 PM

LakeRuins on June 1, 2007 at 8:27 PM

Celebrity news is low, but solid ground. It brings viewers to the channel and thereby brings advertisers, as well. It pays the bills and thereby allows Fox News to report the news that’s dull to many people, but which we consider both interesting and important. This is a case of what seems to be a worthy general rule of taste and action: It’s good for whatever is lower to serve whatever is higher, but the lower can’t serve the higher if it’s extirpated in the name of the higher.

Kralizec on June 1, 2007 at 9:50 PM

CNN and NBC are biased towards Castro.

Would Alterman notice that?

benrand on June 1, 2007 at 10:30 PM

Hehehe I love it. Fox rocks your socks.

Are the cheers at the end for Housley or something else going on off-camera?

I say something off camera. The cheer sounded kinda distant.

- The Cat

MirCat on June 1, 2007 at 11:22 PM

It’s hard arguing with a moron ’cause they never think in a straight line.

Mojave Mark on June 2, 2007 at 12:06 AM

Way to go Adam! Calling it like it is.

StephC on June 2, 2007 at 12:27 AM

I believe that Charles Barron fella’s the same one that on Cavuto Friday told a Congressman to leave his white supremest ways and stay out of Venezuela.

Nice guy.

eforhan on June 2, 2007 at 1:11 AM

Charles Barron is a son of bitch. The planet would be better off without him. He basically stands up for anything evil and wrong in the world whenever it has a voice. Thank you Adam Housley. And Housley is probably one of the least partisan reporters I’ve ever seen on FNC. If I was to guess in the past, I’d have to guess he leaned left if he leaned at all.

What’s funny (if you watch the clip) is that Baron wanted to blast Fox News for not covering the issue fairly… upon hearing that he was going to be busted for not watching he claimed he didn’t have the time, because he’s an activist. So let me get this straight, Fox News hasn’t been covering the other side… but when presented with the fact that they have… you just didn’t notice, because you’re too busy. The liberal left strikes again. I’m not encouraging anything (like the left might do) but I repeat: the planet would be MUCH better off without SOBs like him.

If I recall, he’s the mother f**ker that said he’d like to slap a white man just to feel better about himself. Slap me Charles, among your friends up here in liberal Vermont. If you’re reading this, email AP, and I give him permission to give you my personal email address to contact me and set up a slapping situation you disgraceful excuse for a human being. I’ll go right on the UVM green, where you’re among friends, and we’ll see what happens when you slap me.

RightWinged on June 2, 2007 at 2:03 AM

That’s a pretty severe smackdown

No doubt! I don’t think Commissar Barron will mess with Adam again any time soon…

Zorro on June 2, 2007 at 7:54 AM

Kralizec on June 1, 2007 at 9:50 PM

Huhhh? Or are you simply throwing your hat into the presidential race?
/ can’t argue with logic like that :)

LakeRuins on June 2, 2007 at 9:33 AM

If Venezuela is such a paradise, why doesn’t Barron move there? Do us all a favor…

the wolf on June 2, 2007 at 12:20 PM

Yeeeeeehaw, Fox News rocks, baby! I love it when a lying lefty son-of-a-bitch is called a son-of-a-bitch. Kudos to you, Adam Housley! How can we buy this man a beer?

I deal with these lefty d***heads at the demonstrations here in DC and they are the most dishonest lying sonuvabitches I’ve encountered. Their trick is to make a dishonest assertion to move them through the conversation so that by the time the truth catches up, they’re gone. It’s typical that this lefty trash Councilman Barron makes a baseless accusation when he hasn’t even watched the coverage.

Thank you, Adam Housley, for standing up to his trash-talking jackass. The other networks would have endorsed his rant with silence.

Tantor on June 2, 2007 at 12:31 PM

I hesitated clicking on this because that left wing nut makes me sick, but I took the plunge…I’ve been watching Adam Housley all week and I am so glad he got so passionate and called that guy on his crap. Thank God for Fox News and those reporters who cover the side of the news the others won’t.

deedledee on June 2, 2007 at 2:10 PM

RightWinged on June 2, 2007 at 2:03 AM

I agree with everything you said there. Although, if he slapped you and you hit him back, the headline in the MSM would be “RACIST WHITE MAN ATTACKS BLACK ACTIVIST UNPROVOKED”.

Hmm, if I am agreeing with you, this must not be a religion thread.

JayHaw Phrenzie on June 2, 2007 at 2:20 PM

Hmm, if I am agreeing with you, this must not be a religion thread.

JayHaw Phrenzie on June 2, 2007 at 2:20 PM

Indeed.

And brief disclaimer: I was pretty loaded after being dropped off from a post wedding reception party, so I was particularly unrestrained in my feelings on that piece of garbage Charles Barron. By the way, Barron wouldn’t know what to do with himself if he found out that Adam Housley actually dates a black woman, actress Tamera Mowry.

RightWinged on June 2, 2007 at 2:46 PM

Am I just being cheesy if I call that reporter a hero?

Watching that just made my whole frickin’ week.

Professor Blather on June 2, 2007 at 4:43 PM

Prof, I am with you, he is a hero. It was great to hear someone say to the “esteemed” councilman what I’ve been saying to my tv everytime his cheesey mug shows up on Fox.

Catie96706 on June 2, 2007 at 4:50 PM

Adam is on now, glad to see he didn’t lose his job. That was my concern. Didn’t know he dated Tamera Mowry, wasn’t she in that show “Sister, Sister”?

Catie96706 on June 2, 2007 at 5:09 PM

Fox has great people out there calling it what it is. I remember Julie Bandaras sp? had a similar episode on the air. Only Fox, glad to see reporters take an HONEST emotional approach to their work.

StuLongIsland on June 2, 2007 at 5:40 PM

FoxNews should stop giving Charles Barron airtime. Even the Leftists at CNN and MSNBC (far as I know) don’t give him air time.

IndependentConserv on June 2, 2007 at 6:39 PM

Kralizec on June 1, 2007 at 9:50 PM

I hope that is the strategy, but they also risk losing their
credibility as a respectable news source. I’ve especially been concerned about the trash showing on the redeye show by Fox at night. Its right down there in the gutter with the howard stern show. It makes me think twice about where Fox is going.

Adam Housely rocked, though. I am encouraged to see some conservative, common sense journalists with gonads debating for the truth against these flat our liars.

CountryDoc on June 2, 2007 at 11:27 PM

Honestly the best thing Fox and Cavuto could have done is to put Barron on, let him make a fool of himself and then let Adam slap him down. Just like Rosie, when you expose these idiots to the facts they lose their credibility and often their day jobs.

Buzzy on June 3, 2007 at 1:26 AM

Yeah, Adam Housely rocks! That was pretty interesting. I don’t think he was expressing a bias so much as indignation over having been accused of not doing his job as a journalist. Only liberal journalists are given a pass. Hardworking reporters like Housely have to prove their bona fides with every broadcast.

And that was the first time that I’ve seen the good Councilman at a loss for words, even if it was just for a second. Almost as though he was actually thinking…

netherman79 on June 3, 2007 at 7:54 AM

As a reporter myself….if I ever called someone an SOB on the job, I would get fired. BUT…good for Housley for standing up for himself. Woohoo!

ScoopPC11 on June 3, 2007 at 8:24 AM

I agree. Adam was offended that Charles was, just like Rosie and other bullies, through force of words, trying to convince the Fox audience that his view was factual.
Good for Adam, he put that sack of $hit in his place.

csdeven on June 3, 2007 at 10:25 AM

If the commie councilman adores Chavez so much why dont we send him on a one way trip to stay with his hero.
SOB is putting it lightly!
Got get em Adam!

Viper1 on June 3, 2007 at 10:52 AM

Viper1 on June 3, 2007 at 10:52 AM

You are right and the MSM has a big problem when it supports communist Politicians like Charles Barone and puts them on the air calling the Democrats.

20 years ago he would have labeled a traitor.

ScottyDog on June 3, 2007 at 11:41 AM

It takes an SOB to support an SOB. The Liberal Media wants us to believe Chavez is the good guy and Bush is the bad guy no matter what the truth is. Move along folks, The MSM has already decided what is news and what isn’t. And heaven forbid if we were to come to a rationally objective observation that proved other wise. Thank God for Fox news going outside the Liberal driven agenda, or we would never see stories like this seeing the light of day on main stream news.

KCtheKat on June 3, 2007 at 3:00 PM

Councilman Charles Barron is a hardcore communist who has nothing but praise for Chavez, a dictator who is in the process of enslaving Venezuela’s population under a hard fisted communist rule. Putting Barron on the air is a good thing, let the people see the true face of fascism. Hillary and most of her leftist fringe feel the same way Barron does, they are just more subtle in how they express it.

Maxx on June 3, 2007 at 5:08 PM

I have a feeling that the people who elected Barron in NY are the same kind of people who elected Cindy McKinney in Georgia.

Maybe one day, Barron’s district will wise up and he’ll end up just like ol’ Crazy Cynthia. (See: Unemployed)

JG2K6 on June 4, 2007 at 2:27 AM

Sharpton wannabe…LOL…. yep…. seems like he takes lessons from him doesnt it?

I applaud FOX for covering this. CNN is all about Paris Hilton….

johnnyU on June 4, 2007 at 9:51 AM

Mr. Ailes – give that Housely guy a raise!

BTW, why does Cavuto have that convicted criminal Barron on his show? Did Cavuto even mention Barron’s past?

chsw