Video: Chavistas deal with popular protest the “populist” way

posted at 12:10 pm on May 31, 2007 by Allahpundit

This one’s currently perched atop the YouTube Hot 100 news and politics videos, much to my shock and delight. Francisco de Miranda Avenue appears to be a focal point in the ongoing demonstrations over Chavez’s seizure of the opposition TV station.

They’ve calmed down a bit now. I wonder why.

Comments

The red circles should have been in the form of a red hammer and sickle. Chilling.

Schweggie on May 31, 2007 at 12:21 PM

Another glaring example of the importantance of citizens to have the right to own and bear firearms…

soulsirkus on May 31, 2007 at 12:23 PM

HA! I love it! The same pricks who gave cover to this guy as he seized power, and then defended the bastard as he began taking away basic human rights away from the people because he was in opposition to Bush, now they have to back away.

Colmes did the same thing a few nights ago. I’m thinking, you really didn’t know that’s what Hugo Chavez was up to? How could you not? And since you had to know he was heading in htis direction, why did you support him in the first place?

Bad Candy on May 31, 2007 at 12:24 PM

Who are these guys? The Chavez Youth? Love the red hats–it has an historical connotation, if you know what I mean.

Stinkin’ commies

jaleach on May 31, 2007 at 12:32 PM

Is this picture after Comrade Hillary becomes president?
She is sounding more and more like Chavez everyday. Economic fairness (communism) is about the same thing

Vanquisher on May 31, 2007 at 12:33 PM

Can someone show this video to Danny Glover please?

Rightwingsparkle on May 31, 2007 at 12:34 PM

I don’t really understand what we’re seeing here. Who are those guys? Does Chavez employ Redhats instead of Brownshirts or something?

Blacklake on May 31, 2007 at 12:35 PM

The far left is arguing that it was a legitmate seizue because this news organization participated in the overthrow a few years back.

On Redeye last night Andrew Levy had a pretty funny joke about that after the professor made the same argument.

V15J on May 31, 2007 at 12:36 PM

I wonder if these are the “community groups” I wrote about a while back.

flipflop on May 31, 2007 at 12:42 PM

List of Countries that have passed an Enabling Act:
1. Germany 1923, 1933
2. Venezuela 2007

BohicaTwentyTwo on May 31, 2007 at 12:50 PM

The Fairness Doctrine in action

LakeRuins on May 31, 2007 at 12:53 PM

Sorry forgot one enabling act:
1. Germany 1923, 1933
2. Venezuela 2007
3. Galactic Republic 22 BBY

Yes, I know I should list the Galactic Republic as it happened A Long Time Ago

BohicaTwentyTwo on May 31, 2007 at 1:03 PM

CARACAS, Venezuela- The Carter Center called for dialogue Thursday between President Hugo Chavez and opponents protesting his decision to force an opposition TV channel off the air, while calm returned to the streets after three days of demonstrations.

The Atlanta-based organization founded by former President Jimmy Carter expressed concern about the potential for escalating violence after the government halted broadcasts by Radio Caracas Television on Sunday. Police have repeatedly clashed with angry crowds hurling rocks and bottles since Chavez refused to renew the station’s broadcast license.

“Healthy democracies require spaces for political dialogue and debate to allow divisions about the future direction of the country to be addressed in peaceful ways,” the Carter Center said.

There’s your problem, Jimmy. Your buddy Chavez does not have a “healthy democracy,” nor cares for one.

BrunoMitchell on May 31, 2007 at 1:20 PM

I take it the douchebags in the red hats are the Hugostapo.

fusionaddict on May 31, 2007 at 1:24 PM

The best is yet to come.

Kini on May 31, 2007 at 1:24 PM

Boy, Linda’s supporters are really–oh, what?

Never mind!

/somebody had to say it

MamaAJ on May 31, 2007 at 2:05 PM

Someone needs gun control.

BelchSpeak on May 31, 2007 at 2:17 PM

What exactly were the Redhats shooting at? This reminds me of those Palestinian videos where you see guys randomly shooting at who knows what.

Queasy on May 31, 2007 at 2:22 PM

They’re shooting into the crowd in an effort to keep them back. I know, not much of a crowd (from what we can see) and while it was just the sawed off shotguns, there really wasn’t much more than a lot of noise and intimidation factor at work. However, the pistols and that SOB with the assault rifle… I think it’s the only time in my life I’ve wanted to see some peasant with a molotov cocktail do what mobs do best. If that gets me banned so be it, but I cannot abide communist thugs who are willing to do murder in order to “save” the citizenry from itself. Chavez is cast in the mold of Stalin and Mao and frankly I fear for Venezuela. May God go with them and may his reign be short (and if he keeps the title of president for life until the end of it, well…)

Militant Bibliophile on May 31, 2007 at 2:50 PM

Can anyone venture a guess as to what it is they are shooting ’cause it’s bigger than any handgun I’m familiar with.

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on May 31, 2007 at 2:55 PM

Hugostapo! I like it!

DRP: Escopetas–sawed off shotguns. They look odd because we’re not used to seeing them cut down that far around here, since it’s against federal law.

On the other hand, the guy who fires the revolver at 31 seconds remaining is a total sissy. He just about drops it when it goes off.

I agree these are single shots designed mostly to repel demonstrators instead of attempts to kill them. Still, the guy with the scoped rifle looks like he means business. That was a brave cameraman.

see-dubya on May 31, 2007 at 3:06 PM

The Fairness Doctrine in action

LakeRuins on May 31, 2007 at 12:53 PM

Yep, that’s exactly what it is.

Rick on May 31, 2007 at 3:32 PM

But but but I thought lefties HATED guns?!

Tony737 on May 31, 2007 at 4:13 PM

The left only hates guns when other people have them. It’s like some sort of twisted Freudian thing…

Militant Bibliophile on May 31, 2007 at 4:16 PM

Note to self, no more Freud jokes after spending time on Ace’s site

Militant Bibliophile on May 31, 2007 at 4:17 PM

I give this video another day before it gets yanked from Youtube. It’s already been flagged as inappropriate which forces people to sign up to see it from the site. Their constant collusion with commies and jihadists is sickening.

arteest on May 31, 2007 at 4:32 PM

All this for shutting down Fox-Venezuela?? Why are people so angry?? Geeeze.

gary on May 31, 2007 at 5:37 PM

And just how did Hugo Chavez come to power? The Venezuelans elected him. And just how did Hugo Chavez come to stay in power upon the next election? The Venezuelans re-elected him despite his having already displaying bizarre behavior detrimental to Venezuela.

Frankly, the Venezuelans voted him into power, then re-elected him, which, for all intents and purposes, was practically telling Chavez he was the “chosen one”. Thus filling his megalomaniacal head with what he is doing now… eliminating ALL voices of dissent, by force if necessary, and installing himself not as democratically elected President of Venezuela, but as Dictator of Venezuela.

The Venezuelans put him into power, and kept him there, they reap what the sow and I don’t feel sorry for them. Kind of like George Boosh… you think they feel sorry for us? HA!

SilverStar830 on May 31, 2007 at 10:11 PM

Bunch of red-hatted people randomly shooting at random things.

I’d like a little more context than that- just where are the redhats bunched into? A government building? Where? Why are they there?

etc etc

Reaps on May 31, 2007 at 10:57 PM

Why does it seem like EVERY country that speaks Spanish is all screwed up?

Mojave Mark on June 1, 2007 at 12:46 AM

As they say, better red than dead.

Shy Guy on June 1, 2007 at 7:19 AM

Rather than the red circle, I’d have preferred a red dot.

Buck Turgidson on June 1, 2007 at 9:46 AM

Has the opposition tried sticking their heads out the window and shouting, “I’m mad as hell…and I’m not going to take it anymore!”

Buck Turgidson on June 1, 2007 at 10:01 AM