Open thread: Headlines 5/31

posted at 9:11 am on May 31, 2007 by Allahpundit

Just an update on the new headlines feature, about which we’re getting three types of questions.

1. “Where can I find older headlines?” Alas, nowhere right now. Once an item cycles through, it’s gone into the ether. We’re planning to set up a separate page, though, that’ll list the older items after they’ve slipped off the front page. Hopefully that’ll be ready in a week or two.

2. “Can I comment on the headline items somehow?” We’re going to set up a comment feature for each as well, but that’s probably a longer term project. In the meantime, this post will serve as a replacement. If you see something up there you want to discuss, fire away right here.

3. “WHERE’S VENT? I CAN’T FIND VENT.” We got a boatload of e-mails in this vein on Tuesday notwithstanding the fact that the “Jihad Watch” clip was at the top of Top Picks for most of the day. Incredibly, we just received another one a few minutes ago despite the use of a screaming red font and the words “New Vent” to alert readers to the arrival of a new clip.

Here’s what you’re looking for:

vent002.png

I’ve hotlinked this image directly to the Vent post itself for that 1% of our readers who simply can’t puzzle out where it might be on the front page. Click and enjoy!

Update: Here’s the post from Monday night announcing the launch of headlines, for those who might have missed it. It explains where Vent is/will be going forward.

Comments

I thought hot air was fine the way it was. I get my headlines from Real Clear Politics.

moc23 on May 31, 2007 at 9:20 AM

I like RCP too but they specialize in polls and op-ed pieces, not news/blog headlines. And unless I’m missing something, they’re not updated constantly.

Allahpundit on May 31, 2007 at 9:29 AM

I’m getting used to the changes… thanks… keep up the good work.

Comments for headlines would be awsome.

BadBrad on May 31, 2007 at 9:31 AM

Plus: RCP headlines = Not funny.

Hot Air headlines = Teh funny.

Michelle on May 31, 2007 at 9:32 AM

Not enough headlines about human-like robots, the trailer for the newest Geek flick or the space program. Other than that, I like.

Number 2 on May 31, 2007 at 9:32 AM

Hotair just keeps getting better IMHO.
As for the whole “debate the immigration sham”, it is clear that most of the elite in the beltway do not want debate on this,they want to stifle debate and ram it through.Finger in the ears singing “la la la” , and diving us all into disaster.

bbz123 on May 31, 2007 at 9:34 AM

I like the headlines. Where else can you see a headline like “Eccentric androgyne rebuffs eccentric androgyne?”

Heh heh.

Slublog on May 31, 2007 at 9:36 AM

From the Headlines: The guy bringing a law suit against the Minutemen is also sueing Alan Keyes. I should’ve sued him for becoming so lame after I voted for him in the 2000 primaries!

I’m very disappointed that the private sector can’t build this wall. I knew Govt wouldn’t, but private companies could get it done if they really wanted too. But they’d be construction companies heavily dependant on cheap labor, so THAT ain’t gonna happen.

Tony737 on May 31, 2007 at 9:36 AM

I agree, the touch of humor is good, and I really like the headlines feature.

I know you admins have been taking flak for moving The channel. I thought I’d throw out a possible solution I’ve been throwing out again, how about a small Channel button in the right corner next to the Headlines banner? That might placate all the “ZOMG!!!!1!1!11 WTF???? Where’s Vent!!!!!1!1 emails you’re getting.

Bad Candy on May 31, 2007 at 9:38 AM

Not a bad idea at all.

Allahpundit on May 31, 2007 at 9:38 AM

So I watched the WSJ video “discussion” on illegal aliens and how we (righty) don’t want ANYBODY here.

May I pose a quick solution? Can we have maybe 10 persons bring their sleeping bags to the WSJ and have them take up residence in the building?

What you say, that’s not fair? Well, you’re being racist towards them!!!!

You can’t stay here, we’re a company!! Yes, and that is the point sir that we’re trying to make!

I am so aggravated at how we as a country are spiraling down while the politicians are the ones who are actually driving us directly there!!!!

HarryStar on May 31, 2007 at 9:40 AM

Heh, true Slubbo, I was literally gonna point to that same article.

Ah, here’s another idea, how about a user submission spot for potential Headlines and articles, kinda like Fark? Could be fun.

Bad Candy on May 31, 2007 at 9:42 AM

Not a bad idea at all.

Allahpundit on May 31, 2007 at 9:38 AM

That’s what I’m here for.

Bad Candy on May 31, 2007 at 9:44 AM

That would be cool, although it would be essentially a ripoff of Fark, which we don’t want to be, and if we got a strong response it would suck up a lot of time to read all the submissions. People are always free/encouraged to e-mail tips, though.

Allahpundit on May 31, 2007 at 9:45 AM

Fair enough, I figured you’d say about that, and it is kinda true, you wouldn’t wanna just copy Fark.

Maybe a Headlines specific email addy, just to help you keep things organized (I’m assuming you get pretty heavy email traffic), y’know, for less important stuff. It might help to have the Tips email open for bigger stories, and keep another for lesser stuff and snarky fun stuff.

Bad Candy on May 31, 2007 at 9:55 AM

Snarky fun stuff?

Like another ‘McCain as Kerry’s running mate’ story?

Like this one?

Bonus: Kerry regretted picking Edwards.

Slublog on May 31, 2007 at 9:59 AM

So where’s the vent?

Zetterson on May 31, 2007 at 10:01 AM

I appreciate that you guys are changing things to offer more content, but I think the format change the way it is now, it is cluttered and disorganized. In the old format, you had the featured article (vent or whatever) front and center at the top, and then you had supporting peices. In this one, you have a ton of headlines and links at the top, and themore more stuff in two columns. But is just looks like it is all piled in here and no order to any of it.
Keep working on it, and thanks.

paulsur on May 31, 2007 at 10:06 AM

Zetterson… heh.

Slubbo, I knew ol’ Silky was a bad move when Cheney annihilated him in the debate. It was actually embarrassing to watch it was so brutal.

Bad Candy on May 31, 2007 at 10:07 AM

I disagree paul, where else are you gonna put it unless you screw with the whole site format?

Bad Candy on May 31, 2007 at 10:09 AM

I just read about the “undocumented” Spammer that was caught?

I hope it’s just a catch & release for him, I’d hate to see anything bad happen to him.

THIS is what we’re after ???????

HarryStar on May 31, 2007 at 10:11 AM

Bravo NRO! Willing to do the debating the Republicans won’t do.

infidel4life on May 31, 2007 at 10:13 AM

Yeah, Harry, you do realize how much that spammers, particularly ones that use those tactics cost you and businesses by doing this? This isn’t some minor deal that can be ignored because we’re pissed that immigration isn’t being enforced.

Bad Candy on May 31, 2007 at 10:16 AM

Yup. I think the creepiest part of the story for me was Edwards’ using his son for political gain without realizing he’d told the story before.

Slublog on May 31, 2007 at 10:16 AM

I like the way Hot Air is evolving into a news source with a homey feel to it….I was one of the base that said I rely on you as a news source and imo, you just upgraded yourself…I have found this week, that since you added those headlines, I have only gone to Drudge maybe 3 times…I take the time though to catch the wit on those headlines! My favorite? The wonders of the world and Hot Air was left off the list!

Keep up the good work!

Pam on May 31, 2007 at 10:20 AM

Really today’s Vent should always be a item on the header (just in the front of the vault). It was the one item that drew me to hotair in the beginning and the other content would make me stay and refresh, I’d hate to see it falling by the wayside.

shirgall on May 31, 2007 at 10:22 AM

Like the headlines. It will just take a little while for everyone to get used to the new layout thats all. I would like to see an RSS feed of some kind where I can post the HotAir headline feed on my blog.

vcferlita on May 31, 2007 at 10:23 AM

Incredibly, we just received another one …

Translation: “Look, you effing idiots, my job is to put this mess together and make it readable and entertaining. Your job is to see it and read it. I am not going to come through that screen and read it for you.”

Jaibones on May 31, 2007 at 10:25 AM

Hah just heard George Stephanopolis that Democrats want to pounce on Thompson having only been in the senate for one term.

Umm COUGH Obama COUGH

Wont even mention that Hillary hasnt even finished her second term yet. Or that John Edwards was a one termer in the Senate.

William Amos on May 31, 2007 at 10:25 AM

Yeah, that was way creepy Slubbo. Gonna do a post at Ace’s?

Bad Candy on May 31, 2007 at 10:25 AM

Oh, never mind, Ace is posting, maybe send it as a tip?

Bad Candy on May 31, 2007 at 10:26 AM

Not sure. At the moment, work has me grumpy. I have to write something nice about George Mitchell.

Slublog on May 31, 2007 at 10:27 AM

I think you should divide the top bar.

Put the headlines on the left; then the Vents on the right. I kinda miss seeing the new video preview on the top right – even though I don’t watch the vents too much.

lorien1973 on May 31, 2007 at 10:28 AM

Bad Candy on May 31, 2007 at 10:16 AM

No, I DO agree with you completely. I’m just thinking of the similarities though between the two.

Let’s see, millions of Junk E-mails (or Aliens) are getting to our mailboxes (or borders).

I have Anti-spam software (Minutemen) that try to do the job but it would be great if the government could help out just a bit by arresting him (Ooops, sorry, nothing here)

Ironical is the word I’m looking for!

HarryStar on May 31, 2007 at 10:28 AM

But yeah, that story is very creepy, Slubbo, I could definitely got a chill reading that, I don’t blame Kerry for being freaked out by that.

Bad Candy on May 31, 2007 at 10:30 AM

AP, I get that you’ve told people where to find the Vent over and over, but the fact that you are STILL having to do so ought to tell you that the way you’re posting them isn’t obvious (screaming red headlines notwithstanding.)

If you want to retain the headline space great, but surely there’s another way to feature the video without letting it get lost in the Top Picks shuffle.

You’ll come up with a solution – I have confidence in you guys!

The Ritz on May 31, 2007 at 10:31 AM

National Review v Wall Street Journal

First, is there anything funnier than looking at the video of the WSJ gang in conference; 9 white guys. It’s like they’re all wearing the gag mask with the white faced guy with glasses.

But the things they are saying are hilarious. The one guy — is it Henninger? — “well, there is clearly a cultural factor here, blah, blah…” Yeah, tell that to your gardener, you putz. I want to throw out every illegal polish and irish guy, too. Which culture are we talking about, Bob?

The NRO smackdown is, frankly, surprising. But quite welcome. I’m a little uneasy throwing praise at NRO; next thing you know Lowry will be telling us how great the NY Times is, and then I’m stuck.

Jaibones on May 31, 2007 at 10:32 AM

Spammer Arrested

Good. Drown him.

Jaibones on May 31, 2007 at 10:33 AM

If I wanna be treated this way, I’ll turn on Chris Matthews and pretend he’s interviewing me.

On a bad day, I’d switch to Katie Couric.

manwithblackhat on May 31, 2007 at 10:45 AM

I didn’t realize the degree to which spam was getting under my skin; I can’t imagine a punishment in which I wouldn’t take delight. Let’s get jihadist on his a$$.

And me, I’d put the Vent back on top, then headlines, then the rest. Why? ‘Cause the biggest headline of the day is always New Vent Posted. Plus, video seemed to be the raison d’etre of Hot Air.

saint kansas on May 31, 2007 at 10:54 AM

Slublog,

At the moment, work has me grumpy.

What…you…grumpy………Say it isnt so……..

/snark

doriangrey on May 31, 2007 at 10:59 AM

It was actually embarrassing FUN to watch it was so brutal.

Bad Candy on May 31, 2007 at 10:07 AM

I {heart} Darth Cheney.

KelliD on May 31, 2007 at 10:59 AM

My first reaction to the change was that its simply too cluttered. I still feel that way -it just isn’t as “inviting” (for lack of a better word) than the old format.

That said, maybe I’m just too set in my ways and it will grow on me. Replacing the “Hot Links” column with a “Headlines” column would improve the look (in my opinion), but then you have to find a place for the “Hot Links”.

I guess I’m just not a fan of overloaded, try to do it all front pages. There comes a point when two or more pages makes for a better “interface”. I think you’re pushing that limit.

taznar on May 31, 2007 at 11:00 AM

On the other hand, you have the National Review crew, who I hear are often mistaken for the cast of some hot new teen drama series on the CW.

Pure. Sex.

saint kansas on May 31, 2007 at 11:00 AM

doriangrey on May 31, 2007 at 10:59 AM

Heh.

saint kansas on May 31, 2007 at 11:00 AM

Disturbing.

Slublog on May 31, 2007 at 11:03 AM

I don’t really have a problem with the current format, but if I were going to change it, I’d eliminate the “Top Picks” column and replace it with the headlines. So, “The Vent” on top, “Headlines” down the left, and “The Blog” down the right.

RedWinged Blackbird on May 31, 2007 at 11:15 AM

Re size mattering or not: If we converted to metric numbering, the issue would be gone – 2.5 cm to every 1 in. It’s the only decent argument in favor of the metric system.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on May 31, 2007 at 11:16 AM

Jaibones on May 31, 2007 at 10:32 AM

Plus the one girl sitting on the desk near the window. WSJ missing the point to push their view, imho.

I like personality of the headlines. Important, quirky, and funny so far. Keep it up!

Spirit of 1776 on May 31, 2007 at 11:17 AM

Argh. The blockquote and I are having trouble this morning.

Spirit of 1776 on May 31, 2007 at 11:18 AM

From size doesn’t matter

and encouraging snakes to bite it.

Owww. Why?????

vcferlita on May 31, 2007 at 11:18 AM

Allah… what do you think about this…. using the word “Vent:” where you have the word “Video” in the Vent above… but my point is… to ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS use a standard header like that and choose a good color for it… red is good… maybe green or whatever, but the word “Vent:” would make it quick and easy to identify every Vent in the “Top Picks” column. Yea you say… or nay you say ??? Just a thought.

Maxx on May 31, 2007 at 11:27 AM

The Headlines idea is great but in practice it does take away from the previous pleasing appearance of Hot Air dot com. I would think the headlines could fit in nicely on the right side column.

DannoJyd on May 31, 2007 at 11:27 AM

Plus, video seemed to be the raison d’etre of Hot Air.

There you go, Kansas, clouding the issue with facts! Hey, when are you gonna update that damn blog of yours? Some of my best friends from my Ohio days were smart-asses from Cleveland. Ah, so many memories…

manwithblackhat on May 31, 2007 at 11:35 AM

DannoJyd on May 31, 2007 at 11:27 AM

I don’t understand what you are saying. But my only point, no matter how it is done… is to make the “Vents” unique and identifiable in some way. Because right now there is no way to distinguish a “Vent” from any other “Top Pick” and that, I think, is unfortunate because I think many people are especially interested in viewing them.

Maybe the “Vent:” in the title is not a good idea. OK, fine, but just give the “Vents” something…. maybe a special border (don’t know if that’s possible) or something that makes them easily identifiable.

Maxx on May 31, 2007 at 11:47 AM

Maxx on May 31, 2007 at 11:47 AM

What I’m saying is the manner in which the headlines are displayed harms Hot Airs previous esthetic. This change is not as pleasing to the eye as was the previous visual format.

Your comment seems to make the point that with the addition of the headlines this site is not as user friendly as it was before. I can agree with that.

DannoJyd on May 31, 2007 at 12:04 PM

Lack of sex turns men into nazis?

Duh!!

thirteen28 on May 31, 2007 at 12:08 PM

If anyone believes that Vent was not the strategic element to bring people here, look at the logo in the upper right of every page and contemplate what is going on there. There’s a billion headline blogs to peruse.

There was only one deeply researched and slickly produced counter-mainstream-media video to watch for a long time there: Michelle’s vents. Now they seem to be fading away.

shirgall on May 31, 2007 at 12:08 PM

Love the headlines!

Up to now, I’ve never even loaded the hotair homepage, I just use the Firefox RSS Live Bookmark feature to keep an eye out for new blog items.

Now I have to make HotAir my HOME PAGE!

peski on May 31, 2007 at 12:10 PM

peski on May 31, 2007 at 12:10 PM

Love the headlines!

Yep me too….

doriangrey on May 31, 2007 at 12:17 PM

I don’t know if it’s the changes at your end or something the evil IT monkeys did here, but I can no longer see most (if any) of the videos. YouTube’s been blocked a long time but the Vents always came through. Now I just get a black box that does nothing here behind the firewall of random blockage.

KCSteve on May 31, 2007 at 12:27 PM

Still getting used to the new format, but definitely like the headlines. Whatever happened to the Vent though, do you all not want to continue doing it?:)

Rick on May 31, 2007 at 1:16 PM

AP, see if the Boss will stake you for an investigation into the nubile-if-ruthless-Russian-minx meat market in NYC, like that British guy did.

see-dubya on May 31, 2007 at 1:24 PM

Rick on May 31, 2007 at 1:16 PM

Don’t ask that question Rick… Allah will go ballistic, he’s had to answer that question about fourty-thousand times now. The Vent is still here… they are now under “Top Picks” and move down the page with the other posts.

Maxx on May 31, 2007 at 1:57 PM

I was gonna make some really smart-ass comment here. Then I thought… NAHHH!

manwithblackhat on May 31, 2007 at 2:08 PM

Maxx on May 31, 2007 at 1:57 PM

Where?? All I see are the posts – starting with that one about Mother Sheehan and Chavez (the social-ist)

Allah will go ballistic

Well, maybe if he hadn’t rearranged the furniture…

Rick on May 31, 2007 at 2:20 PM

Oh, and for anybody that doesn’t see it, all of that was SARCASM!!!

Rick on May 31, 2007 at 2:21 PM

Oh, and for anybody that doesn’t see it, all of that was SARCASM!!!

I knew that.

manwithblackhat on May 31, 2007 at 3:38 PM

This new Headlines format is pretty cool. Still getting used to the way it’s presented but all in all, I like it.
Being the cheap skate that I am, I asked for some Hot Air gear for my b-day next month. I’m hoping I won’t be disappointed considering everyone I know is making a big deal about MY birthday. Hey, is there a Hot Air sling to hang upside down in? I guess I’m just jonesing on Rosie. But I’d never ask EH to apologize. In fact, I might even threaten my marriage by giving her a big kiss. She done good, as my dad would say.

JohnnyD on May 31, 2007 at 3:40 PM

Rick on May 31, 2007 at 2:20 PM

Yeah… well that’s the problem. Mother Sheehan and Chavez (the TWO social-ist) is the new vent. And it is marked as such but it’s not very noticeable. I’ve suggested to Allah that the Vents be given some kind of unique headline or something… anything that will distinguish the Vents from the other posts. Maybe it will be implemented later … don’t know.

Maxx on May 31, 2007 at 7:50 PM

Testing word filter for the word: Communist

Maxx on May 31, 2007 at 9:32 PM

CARACAS, Venezuela (CNN) — Radio Caracas Television, the station silenced by Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, has found a way to continue its daily broadcasts — on YouTube, the popular video Web site.

Although the station is officially off the air, CNN’s Harris Whitbeck said its news department continues to operate on reduced staffing, and the three daily hour-long installments of the newscast “El Observador” are uploaded onto YouTube by RCTV’s Web department.

I applaud CNN-Venezuela for this, but why does CNN in the USA do nothing but give aid and comfort to leftist?

Maxx on May 31, 2007 at 9:43 PM

Tony Blair:

Love him or hate him he was there and not willing to look the other way while Americans were murdered on 9/11. I think the world cracked his ‘granny’ classes and he stepped up to the plate as much as the man could. I don’t give him a pass on all things but I’d gladly buy the fella a beer.

Limerick on June 1, 2007 at 12:31 AM