Audio: Chertoff discards basic crime-fighting techniques to support the amnesty bill

posted at 8:40 am on May 31, 2007 by Bryan

DHS Secretary Michael Chertoff appeared on the Mark Davis Show on WBAP-820 in Dallas last week to promote the Bush-Kennedy immigration bill. In the process of explaining why he thinks the bill is swell, he discards basic crime-fighting logic. Click to listen.

That muffled thumping you heard was Eliot Ness rolling over in his grave. Under the Chertoff plan, you don’t go after big criminals by enforcing lesser crimes, so the Untouchables’ tactic that got gangster Al Capone put away on tax evasion would be off the table.

Chertoff needs some schoolin’ on crime fighting. How do you catch big, tough criminals? Bigtime criminals tend to be scofflaws in most respects. That goes for illegal alien criminals too. If you, say, ask someone caught jaywalking about their immigration status or do respond to fender-benders involving illegal aliens–both things that Chertoff says he doesn’t want his agents doing–you just might catch that big, tough illegal alien criminal. Or you might not. But at least you’ve sent the message that you will enforce even the little laws. That keeps the would-be scofflaw in line and warns the bigtime crook that you’re after him and eventually you’ll get him if he makes one bad move.

Besides all of that, Chertoff would be wise to remember this minor incident that occurred on September 9, 2001.

PIKESVILLE, Maryland (CNN) — Maryland State Police released a videotape Tuesday of a traffic stop involving hijacker Ziad S. Jarrah two days before the September 11 terrorist attacks on the United States.

The state trooper’s dashboard-mounted camera did not capture any images of Jarrah, one of the hijackers aboard United Airlines Flight 93. But the officer was wearing a wireless microphone, and the audio track captured the driver giving simple “yes” and “no” answers to the trooper’s questions…

Jarrah’s Virginia driver’s license gave his address as 6601 Quicksilver Drive in Springfield, and he can be heard verifying that address to Catalano on the tape.

Registration showed that the red 2001 Mitsubishi Gallant Jarrah drove that night was owned by Garden State Car Rental at Newark, New Jersey International Airport. The car was found at the airport after the September 11 hijackings, and the citation written by Catalano was still in the glove box.

Jarrah was in the US illegally. He had violated his tourist visa when he became a flight student in Florida. Had immigration law been enforced, had he been checked out thoroughly when he was stopped that night in Maryland, Jarrah would not have been available two days later to help kill nearly 3,000 innocent people. He would have been in a cell awaiting a deportation hearing.

Fifteen of the 19 hijackers should have been denied visas to even enter the US at all. I’d say that lacking 15 of 19 might have put a dent in the jihadis’ plans.

It would seem that enforcing even minor laws can be a very serious business. That’s something that the head of the Department of Homeland Security ought to know.

After listening to this interview on WBAP, I no longer think that Chertoff is qualified to hold his post. He’s supposed to know security, but he evidently doesn’t know the first thing about crime fighting or proven techniques to catch the crooks and terrorists he says he wants his agents tracking. If his boss had any sense on the issue, Chertoff would be looking for work.

Which means Chertoff’s is the most secure job in the world.

Comments

You’re right. Chertoff should be fired. But who will fire him for this?
Why, Why, Why? do the leaders in Washington want this so badly. If only President Bush fought this hard for true conservative issues.

hoosierken on May 31, 2007 at 8:50 AM

It’s been time for the walking q-tip to go, for quite a while. But Bush doesn’t have the Malkins to fire him – or he just doesn’t want to loose a partner in his amnesty plan.

amerpundit on May 31, 2007 at 8:56 AM

What Michael Chertoff says is irrelevant, as is anything coming out of administration officials now. The people, and events, have bypassed them all by this point. Immigration will be decided in the House, where the people have a voice.

HerrMorgenholz on May 31, 2007 at 9:01 AM

Chertoff AND Gonzales are not qualified for these appointments. Bush (he’s President) gets to keep them and sing their praises as much as he wants because that’s his privilege by office, BUT, it’s terrible lack of leadership by Bush when there are so many “issue violations” by these two (among others he’s also appointed or tried to…Harriet Miers comes to mind here and how Bush was so determined she was a “conservative appointment” to the S.C. — and qualified for the S.C. despite the obvious departures of perspectives from Conservative values and more). Same goes for Gonzales (not qualified to be A.G.) and Chertoff (devious, not trustworthy, one who is betraying our intents and concerns seems to be the going perception of him by many who are voting Republicans).

Bush’s appointments reflect who Bush is, unfortunately. It’s been a challenge to admit that the buck DOES, in fact, stop with him but that’s the hard-light case here: Bush’s appointments reflect who he is and what his politics actually are. They’re not Conservative, Bush is a Liberal and apparently, always has been. All the rest, it was just a political campaign (or two).

I’m discouraged this morning, to state the obvious, in weary of having to work so concertedly to make sense of Bush’s inane and often insulting dismissals of those who voted for him (“xenophobic,” “vigilantes,” “[don't know] what’s good for America,” “racists,” blah, blah, blah — it sounds like a common grouse in any corner bar worldwide who is filled with resentments and I’m tired of contending with them from one who allegedly was elected on similar ‘values’).

S on May 31, 2007 at 9:06 AM

It is news like this that make me start to lose hope.

Lawrence on May 31, 2007 at 9:12 AM

Which means Chertoff’s is the most secure job in the world.

Painfully perfect summary.

This tool is clueless, and is lying live on the radio about their current efforts (“they can see we are currently enforcing the laws”). What a piece of crap. We have 15 million invaders in the country and he thinks he’s doing a heckuva job. This administration is a joke.

Jaibones on May 31, 2007 at 9:13 AM

This yo-yo has been less than impressive since the day he took that office. Now he’s simply regurgitating the party line. Why does Bush want to sacrifice our national security in order to pacify Mexico?

rplat on May 31, 2007 at 9:16 AM

We really have to make sure the next Republican president we elect is not a LIBERAL! Count me amongst the Republicans who have waved goodbye to this current fool of a President. Other then that I have no strong feelings on the matter.

Zetterson on May 31, 2007 at 9:24 AM

I think as Americans, we need to come up with an innovative way to tell Mr Chertoff what we think of this amnesty bill. I’ve been thinking about this…and it could work. We, as the conservative segment of the GOP base, are being chucked by the Republican Party because we’re annoying. They’re trying to buy up 3rd world peasants and make them GOP voters by bribing them, right? Ok. So, I say, that we sneak into mexico, get some fake id’s (it’s not illegal for Mexicans to do anything anymore, right?) and then sneak into the USA as…illegal immigrants. See how much gravy we can soak up. The best part, is your former American identity can be unemployed because your new illegal alien identity took his job….for less money, but you’ll have all kinds of new government programs. Plus, you can scream racism over anything. Cops won’t dare harass you..just show them your Matricula Consular card and say…”I’m illegal…and I VOTE!”

austinnelly on May 31, 2007 at 9:26 AM

Chertoff isn’t fit to lead the organization that is supposed to secure this nation.

I’m listening to this now… man, he is a tool.

One word that comes to mind is: Denial

Not practical? What is he talking about? Police verifying status would cause many illegals to just fall into their lap. Oh, I get it… we can’t do it because it would make them unpopular. awwwwww poor baby.

BadBrad on May 31, 2007 at 9:26 AM

as a second thought, I kinda agree with Savage (caught his show a week or so ago on a long drive) when he says little Bush will destroy this nation.

BadBrad on May 31, 2007 at 9:29 AM

I’m discouraged this morning, to state the obvious, in weary of having to work so concertedly to make sense of Bush’s inane and often insulting dismissals of those who voted for him (”xenophobic,” “vigilantes,” “[don’t know] what’s good for America,” “racists,” blah, blah, blah — it sounds like a common grouse in any corner bar worldwide who is filled with resentments and I’m tired of contending with them from one who allegedly was elected on similar ‘values’).

S on May 31, 2007 at 9:06 AM

Very well put.

Everyone needs to make sure they are contacting their rep everyday. Make the call during your coffee break. If you can stand in line at Starbucks you can make a call to your Rep! Overload them! DO NOT let think we’ve accepted this!

Here is a link to your rep’s. Click on your state an MAKE A CALL everyday! You have no excuse! Stay on It!

VikingGoneWild on May 31, 2007 at 9:43 AM

oh I get it now. This is all about the war on drugs!

flipflopper on May 31, 2007 at 9:44 AM

What really bothers me is that I know Chertoff and Bush are lying to me when they are talking about this issue. They just spout off one deceitful talking point after another each one being a bigger insult to my intelligence then the last. It is obvious they don’t want to enforce the law. If they came out and made a case for the open borders/anti law enforcement policy that they endorse and explain to us honestly why they believe what they believe then at least I could respectfully disagree. Or perhaps their position had merit and we just haven’t heard the case for it yet. But, regardless, right now they are robbing us from knowing why they think what they do. They are talking past us not to us. They are treating us like children, an unimportant element of the decision making process. They are saying “because I said so now go to your room.” If they refuse to tell us the truth about why it is that they think what they do then I can only conclude that their motives are less then admirable. I’ve come to the conclusion that I cannot trust these people like Chertoff and Bush. That is worse then simply disagreeing with them.

Zetterson on May 31, 2007 at 9:50 AM

The robots have taken over.

Griz on May 31, 2007 at 9:59 AM

I don’t know about you guys and gals but I plan to talk to the locksmith today about an extra lock and then drive to PA to buy some more 12ga slugs.

DoctorDentons on May 31, 2007 at 10:20 AM

I liked the comment (paraphrase)….”you have drug dealers & gang members hiding in the tall grass (tall grass being the economic migrate)”
If the grass is too tall then cut it down! If you reduce the hiding area it is harder to hide.

BTW…economic migrate = illegal alien!

Exit question:
Is it raining or is the WH peeing on my back & saying it’s rain?

VikingGoneWild on May 31, 2007 at 10:28 AM

Another lawyer with blinders on. Our government, in all branches and at all levels, is chocked full of lawyers. Problem is, they have made a mockery of their profession by constantly ignoring the laws of the land.

Shakespeare had it right …. over 400 years ago.

fogw on May 31, 2007 at 10:53 AM

Wow… just… wow….

Its the mantra I hear from the Left a lot… “we can’t do it, its too hard….”.

Now I’m hearing it from the right… If the Head of Homeland Security believes he can’t enforce the laws on the books, that its too hard, then we really have a problem.

Romeo13 on May 31, 2007 at 11:04 AM

BadBrad on May 31, 2007 at 9:29 AM

Savage is a major douche, and when I accidentally find myself agreeing with his position, I rethink my position.

Jaibones on May 31, 2007 at 11:18 AM

The words may be coming out of Chertoff’s mouth, but make no mistake, this is Bush’s policy paid for by corporate lobbyists. This President’s sellout of the nation’s security and borders is nothing short of impeachable.

greggish on May 31, 2007 at 11:27 AM

I think it’s time to enlist.

Hoo Rah!!

Schweggie on May 31, 2007 at 11:31 AM

May be time to look into buying land in Alaska (and, for this Floridian, perhaps hope that all that global warming stuff will really come true)

Schweggie, I am all for joining the military, but in this context I do not know what you hope to accomplish. We could triple the size and budgets of the military and the Border Patrol both but it would do zilch if the leadership has no intention of letting them do their jobs, as is too clearly the case today.

Lancer on May 31, 2007 at 12:04 PM

Chertoff is guilty of Treason and Sedition for not enforcing the immigration laws. He keeps trying to say we cannot deport the “migrants”.

Here is as excerpt from an article that explains that it can be done and quickly:

Fifty-three years ago, when newly elected Dwight Eisenhower moved into the White House, America’s southern frontier was as porous as a spaghetti sieve. As many as 3 million illegal migrants had walked and waded northward over a period of several years for jobs in California, Arizona, Texas, and points beyond.

President Eisenhower cut off this illegal traffic. He did it quickly and decisively with only 1,075 United States Border Patrol agents – less than one-tenth of today’s force. The operation is still highly praised among veterans of the Border Patrol.

Then on June 17, 1954, what was called “Operation Wetback” began. Because political resistance was lower in California and Arizona, the roundup of aliens began there. Some 750 agents swept northward through agricultural areas with a goal of 1,000 apprehensions a day. By the end of July, over 50,000 aliens were caught in the two states. Another 488,000, fearing arrest, had fled the country.

By mid-July, the crackdown extended northward into Utah, Nevada, and Idaho, and eastward to Texas.
By September, 80,000 had been taken into custody in Texas, and an estimated 500,000 to 700,000 illegals had left the Lone Star State voluntarily.

So much for the lying propaganda coming out of this Whitehouse and its minions.

ScottyDog on May 31, 2007 at 3:56 PM

Jaibones on May 31, 2007 at 11:18 AM

I never said I agree with him 100%, but I do on a few points.

#1. I am totally an “Independent Conservative” (phrase he claims he coined).

#2. Bush is a BAD president. 50% because he has been undermined at every turn and 50% because he can’t communicate well enough to sell shit to a fly and certainly not enought to counter all the propaganda from the left…

BadBrad on May 31, 2007 at 4:55 PM

This is SO infuriating!
I read in the Tennessean yesterday that over the Memorial Day weekend there were approx 230 people arrested for driving related offenses. Of those there were 66 “foreign nationals” of THOSE 61 were ILLEGAL and either charged with DUI and no driver’s license or another vehicle problem AND NO DRIVERS LICENSE.
It is INFURIATING!

labwrs on May 31, 2007 at 5:30 PM

Ask Rudy about that whole “broken window” principle thingy…

“You’re doing a great job, Cherky…”

Claire on June 1, 2007 at 12:23 AM