Video: Voter snubs Romney for being Mormon

posted at 4:49 pm on May 30, 2007 by Allahpundit

We linked the AP story yesterday in headlines but I hadn’t seen the video until now. Here are the longest 34 seconds you’ll spend today: first the painfully awkward chit-chat between the candidate and people who just want to be left alone to eat but feel obliged to be polite, followed by the now-famous encounter with the one guy in the joint who doesn’t feel that obligation. Amazing stuff. How often do you see bigotry this raw caught on camera these days?

The old jerk declared himself a proud Hillary supporter afterwards. Hillary’s campaign has already politely distanced itself from his remarks.

Click the image to watch.

romney-snub.jpg

Comments

Looks like a set-up to me. That was Dana Carvey as Grumpy Old Man!

Brat on May 30, 2007 at 4:53 PM

Unfortunately there are those kinds of bigots on our side.

Patriot33 on May 30, 2007 at 4:58 PM

Enough of those bigots vote and we have HillaryCare 2008 in office.

Why not avoide the issue and go with Ruuuuuudddddy!

JayHaw Phrenzie on May 30, 2007 at 5:03 PM

This is ugly no matter the political stripe.

Matticus Finch on May 30, 2007 at 5:03 PM

JayHaw Phrenzie on May 30, 2007 at 5:03 PM

Then you lose many of the 2nd Ammendment folks, the pro-life folks and, most likely, the anti-illegal immigration folks.

Besides, this guy is a self-declared Hillary supporter. I doubt he would have been any friendlier to any of the other candidates the GOP has running right now.

JadeNYU on May 30, 2007 at 5:05 PM

You think if it comes down between Rudy and Hillary, that all of those folks would vote Hillary, or just stay home and let Hillary become President? Yeah, I’m sure their views will get much more thought time with her in the WH.

amerpundit on May 30, 2007 at 5:10 PM

Fred and the Tanc. Tough duo.

shooter on May 30, 2007 at 5:13 PM

Wow. Romney handled it pretty well, though. I’m sure all the politicians get stuff like this all the time.

That old coot probably won’t live until election time anyway.

jaleach on May 30, 2007 at 5:13 PM

I’m not voting for Romney or Hillary and would not allow myself to be caught shaking either of their hands.

IndependentConserv on May 30, 2007 at 5:19 PM

amerpundit on May 30, 2007 at 5:10 PM

I don’t think that at all, unless people are dumber than I think. :)

My comment is a direct reply to the “avoid the issue” comment above. My point being that every candidate will have one group or another that doesn’t want to vote for them (some for good reasons and others for bigoted reasons). There is no perfect candidate.

If Reagan himself came back to life to run again (zombie president & 2-term limit issues not-withstanding), many non-religious folks would feel marginalized by his Christian faith, some people would claim that there is just something a little untrustworthy about how good his hair looks, others would point to his previous support of Abortion and call him a flip-flopper while still others would point out his 1987(?) amnesty and say “No way in hell will I ever vote for him”. And, of course, CS would say, “Well, is he in or out?!? Enough of this coming back to life and trying to decide whether or not you’re going to run already!” (sorry CS, just a little friendly ribbing from a fellow fred?-ian).

My point being that it’s way to early to decide not to vote for someone just because some liberal bigot in New Hampshire doesn’t want to vote for a Mormon.

JadeNYU on May 30, 2007 at 5:23 PM

IndependentConserv on May 30, 2007 at 5:19 PM

Wow, you are cooooooooooool. How can I be like you.

mattshu on May 30, 2007 at 5:24 PM

It is so annoying when I am sitting on a bench relaxing on the boardwalk at the beach, the politicians come down the street, shaking hands and so on, especially someone you don’t like. I see them coming and say, to who ever I am with, it is time to go and move on. Can just feel the sleeze coming.

StuLongIsland on May 30, 2007 at 5:24 PM

Mitt did good. Walk away and leave the fool to
think he just made a statement. Fools gold

Texyank on May 30, 2007 at 5:28 PM

IndependentConserv on May 30, 2007 at 5:19 PM
Wow, you are cooooooooooool. How can I be like you.

mattshu on May 30, 2007 at 5:24 PM

Hahaha just a bad a** rebel for sure.

GO MITT!

Zetterson on May 30, 2007 at 5:31 PM

Wouldn’t this have gotten a lot more play if Romney was a democrat and a southerner said I ain’t votin’ for no mormon?

lorien1973 on May 30, 2007 at 5:33 PM

That old coot probably won’t live until election time anyway.

jaleach on May 30, 2007 at 5:13 PM

ROFL Man Romney missed THAT come back! Ha Ha Ha And you know it’s probably true!

sonnyspats1 on May 30, 2007 at 5:38 PM

lorien1973 on May 30, 2007 at 5:33 PM

Ya think?

Professor Blather on May 30, 2007 at 5:46 PM

Wow, nasty. But then, liberals are just nasty people from the inside out…gotta be, I guess, to live with themselves.

JustTruth101 on May 30, 2007 at 5:50 PM

I think Mitt handled it pretty well. Would have been a hoot if Mitt started to walk away and then swung back around and yelled “BOO!”. That old geezer would have keeled over right there.

heatherrc77 on May 30, 2007 at 5:51 PM

Ahhh… but if this ole Coot said somthing like that to FRED! then Fred! would use his ultra stare to fix the guys Alzheimers, and he would suddenly remember that he was a Conservative…

Romeo13 on May 30, 2007 at 5:52 PM

heatherrc77 on May 30, 2007 at 5:51 PM

Hahaha. Priceless. The old man almost finsished himself off though by coming oh so close to smacking his own forehead against the table when he shouted, “NO!” at the end of the video. I can’t stop laughing about this video. There is something just so incredibly funny about stubborn old men who just plain don’t give a sh*t.

Zetterson on May 30, 2007 at 5:58 PM

Zetterson on May 30, 2007 at 5:58 PM

LMAO! And the way he whipped his head, Im surprised he didn’t break he neck..he must drink lots of milk!

heatherrc77 on May 30, 2007 at 6:03 PM

heatherrc77 on May 30, 2007 at 6:03 PM

Oh yes evidently his bones are remarkably strong. And how funny is Mitt’s reaction to the exchange?!

MITT: Can I shake your hand anyway?
Old Man: NO!!
MITT: oooookay (turns quickly and walks away)

Just too funny.

Zetterson on May 30, 2007 at 6:08 PM

That was Dana Carvey as Grumpy Old Man!

Politics???…..Flobble-de-flee!!

Why in my day, when we were angry and frustrated, we just said, Flobble-de-flee!! ’cause we were idiots and we didn’t know what else to say! Just a bunch o’ illiterate Cro-Magnons, blowin’ on crusty handkerchiefs, waitin’ in lines for our head to burst into flame and that’s the way it was and we liked it!

The Ugly American on May 30, 2007 at 6:08 PM

That old coot probably won’t live until election time anyway.

jaleach on May 30, 2007 at 5:13 PM

Makes no difference, Hillary will be sure his vote is counted. She will cowboy up with “Dead or Alive”

Wade on May 30, 2007 at 6:09 PM

I figured out who this guy reminds me of:

Zetterson on May 30, 2007 at 6:15 PM

I figured out who this guy reminds me of:

Zetterson on May 30, 2007 at 6:15 PM

That’s just plain creepy….but the dog is pretty cool!

heatherrc77 on May 30, 2007 at 6:23 PM

heatherrc77 on May 30, 2007 at 6:23 PM

Oh come on heatherrc77! They look exactly alike! But yeah, the old guy in Family guy is really creepy. The guy talking to Mitt! He’s just hilarious.

Zetterson on May 30, 2007 at 6:31 PM

Why not avoide the issue and go with Ruuuuuudddddy!

JayHaw Phrenzie on May 30, 2007 at 5:03 PM

Because it’s better to go with FRED!!!

Wow, you are cooooooooooool. How can I be like you.

mattshu on May 30, 2007 at 5:24 PM

Personally, I’d rather be more like ME!!!

manwithblackhat on May 30, 2007 at 6:47 PM

I’m so glad we have people like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson in our country to point out bigotry where it exists, and will stand up, lead protests, and express their outrage at things like this.

Right?….

asc85 on May 30, 2007 at 7:00 PM

It’s too bad there are too many popsicle head dopes in this world.

Kini on May 30, 2007 at 7:14 PM

Fred and the Tanc. Tough duo.

shooter on May 30, 2007 at 5:13 PM

Yeah, and too much to hope for. I might could be convinced to vote AT ALL if Tanc was AT LEAST given some credence.

That arrogant bastard, RUSH, (who I love to hate for his delicious duplicity on most substantive issues) totally HUNG UP on a very nice caller today who DAAAARED SPEAK TANCREDO’s NAME.

THANKS RUSH.

THANKS FOR NOTHING.

seejanemom on May 30, 2007 at 7:24 PM

The old jerk declared himself a proud Hillary supporter afterwards.

Is anyone surprised this part didn’t make the CNN video? I suppose in the TV report, a reporter may have mentioned it (though the likelyhood of that is probably 50/50 at best), but the intent is clearly to give the impression that he’s just another white REPUBLICAN evangelical bigot. As usual, bigotry (just like racism) seems to flow primarily from the left, and get lost amid headlines on troop disillusionment and abu ghraib headlines.

Prediction: Like in 2004, there will be a lot of election season shenanigans, done primarily by Democrat supporters (perhaps more random shootings of GOP headquarters, perhaps more slashing tires of get out the vote vehicles, perhaps more incidents of road rage or other physical violence). The media will virtually (if not completely) ignore the stories, but will devote full reports to some kooky old southerner who knocks down a few Hillary signs.

RightWinged on May 30, 2007 at 7:38 PM

Well, life is too short to not be polite to people…

As a practicing Catholic, I run into my share of bigots, but I’ve worked with lots of Mormans over the years in our company’s Utah offices, and theology aside, if more folks lived like they do(except for that weird caffeine thing) this would be a better world. The family values, the work ethic…sheesh it’d be like Leave it to Beaver all over again.

JMHO(free and worth what it cost, no doubt)

Lonevoice on May 30, 2007 at 7:43 PM

This has always been my concern with Mitt. I was shocked at the people I talked to who said they would never vote for a Mormon. And they aren’t shy about saying it either. When people feel strongly about something like that, they let it override everything else.

The more I see of Mitt, the more I think he would be a good candidate. I guess we shall see.

Rightwingsparkle on May 30, 2007 at 7:45 PM

That, uh….. just made him look like a stupid, old, hillbilly.

Alden Pyle on May 30, 2007 at 7:58 PM

Come on, the old coot still has memories of when the Mormons sacked Dover back in ’08, cut him some slack.

And seejanemom – you can’t take Rush that seriously, the Libs do, but even he doesn’t.

reaganaut on May 30, 2007 at 8:31 PM

Yeah, you tell him old man!

Seixon on May 30, 2007 at 8:57 PM

You got to love the irony of theists macking each others fantasies.

Mormonism is no more and no less BS than every other religion.

I don’t like Romney because he is a manufactured fake that doesn’t even know what his own positions are until they are poll tested 5 times. I have no trust for this Clinton style huckster.

But the Mormon thing? No worse than any other religion.

JayHaw Phrenzie on May 30, 2007 at 10:29 PM

macking = mocking
JayHaw=JayHawk

JayHaw Phrenzie on May 30, 2007 at 10:31 PM

ohhhhh old people.

crr6 on May 30, 2007 at 11:27 PM

You got to love the irony of theists macking each others fantasies.

Mormonism is no more and no less BS than every other religion…

JayHaw Phrenzie on May 30, 2007 at 10:29 PM

Sure. Go ahead. Laugh at the crazy ol’ coot that won’t live to see election day ’08. But what do ya’ bet that Hitchens wouldn’t vote for a Mormon either? Don’t see anybody here drawing any attention to THAT though, do ya’?

Bigotry can come at ya’ from a lot of different angles. Seems like no matter what direction it comes from though, it is ALWAYS ugly.

And BTW, the word is spelled “mocking.” “Mack” was the coach of the Philadelphia Athletics — a very long time ago.

CyberCipher on May 31, 2007 at 12:59 AM

Oh, well. If you bug enough people in a diner you’re going to run into a jerk sooner or later. What’s encouraging is how many people who saw this were repulsed by the old fart’s outburst to Mitt.

WasatchMan on May 31, 2007 at 3:57 AM

I’d have a problem voting for a Mormon as well (they change their doctrines almost as often as they change their underwear. And no, they’re not Christian.) But I’d at least have the courtesy to say hello, shake his hand, and politely tell him I wasn’t planning on voting for him. This guy reminds me of my dad. If he didn’t like ya, he didn’t want anything to do with ya.

BigOrangeAxe on May 31, 2007 at 8:41 AM

Crotchety old coot. I like Mitt and think he may be the best candidate of the pack. I’m partial to former governors who can sustain a marriage as potential presidents.

Buck Turgidson on May 31, 2007 at 9:33 AM

A plant for sympathy votes? Probably not, but interestingly, that was the first thought that crossed my mind.

Schweggie on May 31, 2007 at 11:42 AM

BigOrangeAxe on May 31, 2007 at 8:41 AM

How is this charming little rant, with its crude reference to underwear and accusations of heresy, any different than the old coots’? Sometimes the hypocrisy can be overwhelming.

WasatchMan on May 31, 2007 at 3:09 PM

I like Mitt! but he looks excruciatingly awkward in that clip. I never have liked this part of campaign trail tactics. I don’t like anyone bothering me at a restaurant, even the manager unless something is wrong. Reminds me of jon cary trying to eat a Philly Cheese Steak.

Brat on May 31, 2007 at 3:14 PM

BigOrangeAxe,

I diagree with Mormon doctrines as much as anyone of faith (partly because of how much they have shifted over time), but that has just about nothing to do with whether I would consider someone acceptable as a President. I don’t say this to judge your opinion or position, but your comment may tend to leave some thinking that yours is the default Christian view.

JayHaw, your bigotry against religion is as bad as that old man’s bigotry against Mormons. You don’t believe what I believe, that’s fine. Don’t presume it’s a fantasy, or BS. That’s just a tad unnecessary.

Freelancer on May 31, 2007 at 7:02 PM

Can someone capture this and link it…thier site will not allow me to play it, even though I have a MS compatible player…dayum communist! lol

lsutiger on May 31, 2007 at 8:00 PM