Video: Most ethical Congress ever still stuffing its fat face with pork — secretly

posted at 1:33 pm on May 30, 2007 by Allahpundit

Another week, another superb little CNN expose of Congressional malfeasance in which Democrats take the worst of it. This one actually has a narrative arc, starting at the scene of the crime and ending with the revelation of the porker’s identity. News, Hitchcock style!

I do especially admire the Kleagle’s reasoning that to publicize pork would only lead to more of it. See? The secrecy’s for your own good.

Comments

Great thanks AP I love that this finally got posted !

William Amos on May 30, 2007 at 1:50 PM

Ok… Im confused…

How can they Constitutionaly add an earmark AFTER its left the House or Senate Floor? Is that just after all debate? but before the vote? or is that after the VOTE???

Wouldn’t that be changing a bill without a vote then???

Romeo13 on May 30, 2007 at 1:52 PM

Pork? Pork? More like Filet Mignon….

soulsirkus on May 30, 2007 at 1:59 PM

tax revolt tax revolt tax revolt!!!

If they don’t have our money, they can’t do this crap!

I know…pipe dream. But I can dream, right?

tickleddragon on May 30, 2007 at 1:59 PM

Ok… Im confused…

Wouldn’t that be changing a bill without a vote then???

Romeo13 on May 30, 2007 at 1:52 PM

They add the ammount of the earmark to the bill that is voted on but dont disclose what the money is for.

William Amos on May 30, 2007 at 2:00 PM

tickleddragon

You can dream right up to the point that 100 million of your fellow citizens have and then act upon the same dream. Then of course it wont be a dream any more…

doriangrey on May 30, 2007 at 2:02 PM

doriangrey on May 30, 2007 at 2:02 PM

O if only…

tickleddragon on May 30, 2007 at 2:05 PM

Whats the big deal ? Medicade and Social Security and Welfare are also really pork. And they are far more expensive than these earmarks.

Dems have taught people to line up at the feeding trough to get their own money back. Its their game they play on the american people.

William Amos on May 30, 2007 at 2:09 PM

Now I understand why the Islamists hate pork – dirty, filthy pork.

Rick on May 30, 2007 at 2:11 PM

AP, I would gladly donate for shipping costs if we could get Hogzilla’s taxidermist to send the stuffed pig head to Obey’s office.

Brat on May 30, 2007 at 2:13 PM

As the song said: I don’t think that’s what the govern-meant.

dostrick on May 30, 2007 at 2:14 PM

Wouldn’t it be nice if we had a president who vowed to veto every spending bill ladened with pork? One can only dream….

pullingmyhairout on May 30, 2007 at 2:39 PM

Brat on May 30, 2007 at 2:13 PM

Heh. Congrats. I wish I’d said that.

CyberCipher on May 30, 2007 at 2:39 PM

William Amos on May 30, 2007 at 2:00 PM

My question is how do they then add lines to a bill, telling where the earmark goes, after the vote? That would be changing the bill after the fact… (if that is indeed what is happening…).

Hmmmm… interesting… this sounds VERY fishy to me in a constitutional sense… Anyone up for a Petition of Redress???

Romeo13 on May 30, 2007 at 2:41 PM

Wouldn’t that be changing a bill without a vote then???

Romeo13 on May 30, 2007 at 1:52 PM

kind of seems that way…how in the world is that constitutional? hell, I might as well just ask my congresscritter to add in a couple of million for my kid’s college education, a new house, maybe a great car and a nice vacation. After all, your pork is my necessity… just kidding. but not about the vacation…

pullingmyhairout on May 30, 2007 at 2:42 PM

No Money shall be drawn from the Treasury, but in Consequence of Appropriations made by Law; and a regular Statement and Account of the Receipts and Expenditures of all public Money shall be published from time to time.

Hmmm… straight from the Constitution… uh… wheres this Statement and Account Published?

And I coulda sworn there was a database of this type of thing Voted on by Congress last year??

Romeo13 on May 30, 2007 at 3:07 PM

OK how about this, Democrats, you get rid of the earmarks, then you can have your universal health care. I mean, $2M for an airport-for-the-fat-cats? Think of all the food we could send to Iraq with that money so that they won’t have to, according to Larry Johnson, have less than three hot meals a day.

Seixon on May 30, 2007 at 3:09 PM

CyberCipher on May 30, 2007 at 2:39 PM

Thanks, CyberCipher, I’ll be here all night. Don’t forget to tip your waitron on the way out.

Brat on May 30, 2007 at 3:14 PM

Question as well… under what authority is Congress subsidizing Ethanol?

Romeo13 on May 30, 2007 at 3:16 PM

Doing the peoples business.
More like doing business on the people.

Kini on May 30, 2007 at 3:28 PM

annie who?

what’s her number?

jummy on May 30, 2007 at 3:43 PM

Dont misunderstand. They are voting to SPEND the money they just wont tell anyone what they are spending it on till after the votes.

Its like getting the bill before you know what repairs are needed on your car.

William Amos on May 30, 2007 at 3:51 PM

Sigh…

Our government is out of control. It’s frustrating and I’m beginning to wonder if we conservatives are even having an impact at all.

Frankly, I don’t know what to do about it anymore. It seems like the only ones getting ahead in life are the crooks, the liars, the swindlers, the cheats, and the criminals. Why bother being honest if it gets you nowhere? I’m beginning to think that I am being played as a chump for all the fatcats in Washington and all the leaches sucking off society and I’m sick and tired of it.

At this point I’m ready to just walk up to my representative and ask for my own 2 million dollar earmark. I mean, why the hell not? It’s not like being an honest and good taxpayer is doing me a damn bit of good! It seems to me that in 10 years or less the whole country will be run by illegal immigrants and/or jihadis anyway. Might as well get my piece of the pie now while there’s still some to be gotten, go build my house on an island and watch Western Civilization crumble from afar.

Ugh. Of course, the whole problem with that plan is that I am an honest person and could never bring myself to actually do anything criminal or unethical anyway. So I just do the best I can and try to get by.

wearyman on May 30, 2007 at 4:14 PM

William Amos on May 30, 2007 at 3:51 PM

this is whats confusing me…

You can only appropriate money by LAW.

Before you could vote on a law, doesn’t it have to be published? So you know what yer voting on?

Once voted on, how can a law be added to? To add in where the earmark goes?

Its confusin me….

Romeo13 on May 30, 2007 at 4:22 PM

I demand a Congressional investigation! Oh, wait a minute…nevermind.

Brat on May 30, 2007 at 4:31 PM

If I managed my personal finances the way our congress manages their spending, I’d either be broke or in jail, or both.

Their comprehension of money management is on par with their understanding of immigration law.

Term limits please …. I’m for one and done.

fogw on May 30, 2007 at 4:36 PM

I do especially admire the Kleagle’s reasoning

LOL That was funny!

repvoter on May 30, 2007 at 5:39 PM

wearyman on May 30, 2007 at 4:14 PM

I agree. When I think about the future I question my own judgement for even taking out a mortgage. By the time it is paid off would this society even be worth living in anymore? I’m not sure. There will probably be crappy universal health care bankrupt social security and by then the community will probably turn into a slum. So what am i investing in?

Resolute on May 30, 2007 at 7:25 PM

ITS TIME FOR A TAX PROTEST FOLKS!!!!!!!!

Isn’t there some nutty PAC somewhere whose members insist that they have found legal loopholes in the Constitution that allow them to NOT PAY FEDERAL INCOME TAX when the Congress gets deranged?

Anybody got their number? I’m joining in the morning.

seejanemom on May 30, 2007 at 7:39 PM

After all….they can’t round up ALL 12 Million Tax Objectors.

Right?

seejanemom on May 30, 2007 at 7:40 PM

No surprises here. We’ve known for 40 years those permanent occupants of the beltway are unethical, no good, low rent thieves.

We need one more conservative justice on the Supreme Court and then an attorney general with some Malkins, then we could bring Romeo’s question to those who could answer it. The Supreme Court.

Zorro on May 30, 2007 at 8:15 PM

fogw,

Term limits please …. I’m for one and done.

I second that motion……..

doriangrey on May 30, 2007 at 9:00 PM

The most open, ethical Cnongress, EVAH!

georgej on May 31, 2007 at 5:58 AM

Term limits?? YES!!!!

Tickled and SeeJane….. yes!!! and dont forget about the ones that claim the 14th Ammendment was never really ratified..

mrfixit on May 31, 2007 at 6:56 AM

Good greif did you see the hatefull Michelle Malkin Quote on that video on youtube.

Lefties are such racists and hatemongers.

William Amos on May 31, 2007 at 10:57 AM