UK moves towards “carbon footprint” rating on all product labels

posted at 9:19 pm on May 30, 2007 by Allahpundit

Some goods already carry the label but it’s only a few and participation is strictly voluntary at the moment. Now the government’s stepping in to standardize measurements and extend the plan to all manufacturers. Is it too much to dream that in a few years, when the hysteria’s reached a crescendo, some wise old progressive soul might float the idea of … “carbon rationing”? 100 credits a week; just present your card when you go to pay and the cashier will deduct the appropriate amount.

Won’t that be nice.

Plans have been unveiled to design a “carbon calculator” that could work out the quantity of greenhouse gases emitted by everything from the production of a pack of tomatoes to a car.

The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs [Delfra] joined forces yesterday with the Carbon Trust, a Government advisory body, to try to agree how to measure greenhouse gases in the manufacturing process…

A spokesman for Defra said: “We need to look at cradle-to-grave emissions, whether it be a tomato, a CD or a car.”…

The carbon footprint of a beef steak, for instance, is likely to take into account the energy used to grow the wheat for the animal feed…

BSI British Standards will oversee the work and come up with a benchmark to avoid retailers and manufacturers trying to “out-green” each other. Nutritional labelling on food packaging has been undermined by disagreements between Tesco and Sainsbury’s and between different manufacturers.

Exit rhetorical question: They’re going to do this for everything sold at Live Earth, right down to the nine-dollar bottles of spring water, aren’t they?

Comments

Boy are they going to feel stupid when the man-induced climate change hoax is finally revealed.

Valiant on May 30, 2007 at 9:24 PM

I can’t wait until this whole global warming fad gets the ax. Please, please, please can the global temperature go down this year. I would just love for Al Gore to explain that away. In 10 years I imagine many of us are going to have a good laugh about all this.

Seixon on May 30, 2007 at 9:27 PM

UK is taking nanny 911 seriously, isn’t it?

lorien1973 on May 30, 2007 at 9:36 PM

How in the world is this even measurable? Provided the carbon offsets (as I meekly understand it) produced by fruits and vegetables, how then do you calculate the carbon footprint. My mind hurts trying to resolve the silly liberal-think behind this. But then, I don’t really understand our governments “daily allowances” of nutrition either which, as I see it, would cause us all to be obese.

thedecider on May 30, 2007 at 9:36 PM

This has gotten way outta control.

Kini on May 30, 2007 at 9:49 PM

Will there be a black foot impression on each item?

(And shouldn’t the native American Blackfeet be suing for a cut of this White Eyes hoax?)

All of this is mainly a pathetic and painful demonstrattion of people with NO LIFE.

Trying to fill their existential void with passing fads.

But such fads are like Chinese food.

Two carbon footprints later, and you need another delusion.

profitsbeard on May 30, 2007 at 9:52 PM

What is Knut’s life worth to me?

I dunno. How much can I get for a Polar Bear Fur coat?

Jack M. on May 30, 2007 at 9:53 PM

This is all we need, another government agency, another tax on us.

Why doesn’t anyone listen to Jim Inhofe

Curious silence from the republicans.

Kini on May 30, 2007 at 9:54 PM

My carbon footprint is a size 11½

Kini on May 30, 2007 at 9:56 PM

I had a V8 when I coulda had a hybrid?

TwinkietheKid on May 30, 2007 at 9:58 PM

I’m tired of being lumped in with Truthers when I point out the obvious goal of a New World Order which lies at the heart of the global warming hoax.

First of all, was Kyoto (among other UN initiatives) not a stepping stone to global law?

How about how Gordon Brown, Tony Blair’s likely successor, stating in plain English (queens or otherwise) that we need a “New World Order” to combat global warming. It’s stops being a conspiracy theory when people start to say exactly what people like myself accuse them of. And he’s not the first one, the UN has been working on this crap for a long time. Just like last year when that professor in Texas said that we need to reduce the population of the world by 90%. UN elements have been making similar statements for years.

Beyond Brown’s statements, we have the British now being subject to financial penalties if they don’t make their homes more energy efficient.

Setting aside the complete garbage that is “man made global warming”, we all know how devastating it would be to developed nations’ (i.e. us!) economies. Then we’d be at the mercy of the UN (as the left already wishes we were)

That my friends, is why I’m glad that my state, Vermont, the second least populous in the nation, has now banned idling school buses except in certain circumstances. Yeah, we’re going to save the world! Oh wait, anyone who has paid any attention knows that even Kyoto wouldn’t make a noticeable difference as it pertains to the fictional problem… so I suppose a freezing a few thousand kids on -30 wind chill days in VT winters probably ain’t gonna make much of a difference either. The best part? That initiative was pushed BY KIDS.

That isn’t an unimportant point. They’re getting to the kids early. It started when I was in school still, and it’s worse every year. The liberal indoctrination is bad enough, but the global warming strain is ten times worse in and of itself.

I would say that I hold out hope that the cooling cycle will begin before we’re totally screwed… but you know they’d be able to flip it to “global cooling” without batting an eyelash (they’ve already done it, because it was “global cooling” in the 70s on the cover of all the major news publications). Plus, who knows how long the warming trend will last (other than the sun, the actual source).

It really doesn’t matter if we get really lucky, because by then we’ll have a one party system thanks to George W. Amnesty 2007. Okay, there will actually be the Democrats, with a powerful side party that I’ll refer to as Democrats Extreme for the time being.

RightWinged on May 30, 2007 at 10:16 PM

Hmm – so I can see it now. We’ll then have good carbon & bad carbon, trans-carbon, mono-carbons, tri-carbons.

Once it hits the US, the slimeball trial lawyers will start massive carbon lawsuits on behalf of states against every corporation.

In the meantime, the Islamists are sneaking in the back door….

reaganaut on May 30, 2007 at 10:19 PM

obvious goal of a New World Order

yep

*extends hand*

RushBaby on May 30, 2007 at 10:28 PM

When are our British friends going to “get it”, there is no global warming, it is a complete hoax. I think Al Gore himself has been shaken by his inability to foment fear and panic on this issue, despite his best efforts. Al Gore was whining in an article I read recently that people are paying more attention to American Idol than his big global warming scare. Boo-Fricking-Hoo anyone ?

I’m seeing more and more articles like this one… “Climate Momentum Shifting: Prominent Scientists Reverse Belief in Man-made Global Warming – and are Now Skeptics.” And I’m seeing fewer global warming scare tactic articles. But we dare not relax, these green-socia-list-commies don’t give up that easy, and they got lots of money invested in this hoax and they are going to want their money back !! So its just a matter of time before the new and improved barrage of lies hit the air waves… you can count on it !

Maxx on May 30, 2007 at 10:38 PM

Maxx on May 30, 2007 at 10:38 PM

You’re absolutely right. Don’t anyone be fooled, there’s just a bit of a lull. But they’ve convinced enough people, poll after poll shows it, and more importantly they’ve gotten to the younger generations. They’re cunning if nothing else, and you have to be when your intention is a New World Order. SARS, Bird Flu, etc. didn’t quite do it, but they found a winner in global warming… especially when they can claim what used to be called “the weather” on it, no matter what the forecast.

Please, anyone who thinks I’m being a Truther when I say this is about a New World Order, read my previous comment… it ain’t me saying it, it’s the global warmists.

Anyway, does anyone else find it funny that they can predict “climates”, yet if you check the weather online in the morning they can’t even get it right in the afternoon (bastards spoiled my chance to use my kayak today). They literally change the forecast by the hour… at some point it stops being a forecast, and starts being observation. It’s like last year when we had the boring and below average hurricane season. About half way in to the season they revised their prediction for an above average season, down to a less active, but still above average season (too lazy to dig up the numbers, but if you libs want to try me, I will). What was funny is they “adjusted” their forecast for the hurricane season, HALF WAY THROUGH! That wasn’t an adjustment, it was attempting to take a guess after certain possibilities for the original guess fell flat. I think they may have even made another “revised” forecast. All I know is that when it was all said and done, the season was below average, we never saw a single ‘cane hit our shores, and just the remnants of 2 weak tropical storms touched us. There wasn’t a whole lot of hammering the forecasters for being WAAAAAAY off. They simply issued statements that amounted to “El Nino did it”. I won’t even ask the next obvious question… why couldn’t they predict El Nino? It’s a 50/50 shot El Nino or no El Nino… They’d have had a better chance at it than they did with their ridiculous predictions. They’ve tried to pump up predictions again this year, without being mocked for last year’s failures (shocker! thanks big media!), we’ll see how it goes.

RightWinged on May 30, 2007 at 10:49 PM

Idiots.

NRA4Freedom on May 30, 2007 at 11:19 PM

What’s the carbon footprint on a joint? Hit a hippie where it hurts.

- The Cat

MirCat on May 30, 2007 at 11:37 PM

RightWinged

The Global Warming and Environmental movements are of course different arms of the same beast, with the same goals, and those goals have nothing to do with the planet’s temperature or the little furry creatures. The fundamental goals are 1) destruction of private property rights, 2) Implementation of a global tax system, and 3) The eventual merging of all sovereign nations into a One World Government … not necessarily in that order.

We use different phraseology, you say “New World Order” where I say “One World Government” and the terms are probably interchangeable, but I think the term “New World Order” is just a little to nebulous, and people don’t necessarily know what you are talking about. Thus… some of the “Truther” accusations might arise from that lack of knowledge.

But when I argue against Global Warming I’ve found that just saying on that ONE topic is most effective. Heaven knows there is plenty of ammunition to shoot global warming down without bringing the world political agenda into it. Sometimes its just a little to much to comprehend and far too much to try and explain within a HotAir comment block. And sometimes its just a little to scary for people to deal with, so the defense mechanisms kick in and the name calling begins.

But of course, I agree with you.

Maxx on May 30, 2007 at 11:44 PM

For those interested in the great global warming scandal, add Kate at smalldeadanimals.com to your bookmarks. She has many articles debunking global warming, almost daily.

More importantly, at what point does Al Gore officially become a super-villain?

He’s gotten bigger and uglier. He’s making more and more money off of the global warming scare. He’s attracting tons of zealous henchman. All we need is Tipper in a Poison Ivy costume before our Batman flies through the window to do battle.

Canadian Infidel on May 30, 2007 at 11:49 PM

It’s not Global Warming, it’s Climate Change. This past year’s climate (including the snow storm that delayed the crazy conference) require a name change. On to Knut: if he is delicious, I would suggest we create a nice biosphere to breed other Knuts for human consumption.

jeffNWV on May 30, 2007 at 11:57 PM

**warning: I have not really thought this through***

How would this affect fair trade, free trade, and trade with impoverished countries?
I’m going to assume that local products would have a smaller carbon footprint, imported products a larger one. Is this just another way to protect European goods, without an official tarriff scheme?

MayBee on May 31, 2007 at 12:01 AM

Polar Bear… Yum !

Maxx on May 31, 2007 at 12:01 AM

Maxx on May 30, 2007 at 11:44 PM

You’re right all the way around on that one… My main point of posting was to point out what I feel is my duty in any related thread… that it’s not just a type of conspiracy theory to say that “global warming” is about a New World Order, when you’ve got the global warmists themselves calling for it.

RightWinged on May 31, 2007 at 12:05 AM

Don’t let it get under your skin RighWinged, you got to remember that some people would call you a “conspiracy theorist” if you said “The sun comes up in the morning.” For those types of people, that’s all the ammunition they have.

Maxx on May 31, 2007 at 12:23 AM

Maxx on May 31, 2007 at 12:23 AM

I know, I just want to open the eyes of folks on our side… I don’t think most understand exactly how serious this is, even those that know that global warming is crap. Most just dismiss it and go on with their day, while this is all happening around us.

RightWinged on May 31, 2007 at 12:29 AM

MayBee on May 31, 2007 at 12:01 AM

I think you’re on to something there.

- The Cat

MirCat on May 31, 2007 at 12:54 AM

Valiant on May 30, 2007 at 9:24 PM

ditto

omegaram on May 31, 2007 at 4:12 AM

Great, now I can make sure I buy only high carbon-footprint items!

Aylios on May 31, 2007 at 5:27 AM

What kind of rating does produce get? Shoudn’t it be a negative carbon rating as you are slaughtering a carbon sequestering product?

We really need to set some rules on how much damage, to the environment, these vegetarians can do. THEY’RE KILLING US ALL!!!!!1!

DWB on May 31, 2007 at 8:20 AM

Valiant on May 30, 2007 at 9:24 PM

Seixon on May 30, 2007 at 9:27 PM

Unfortunately, there is never going to be an “I told you so” moment.

Yes, our children and theirs will watch VH-1′s “I Love the Zeros” and laugh themselves silly about the global warming fad.

But by then, we’ll be on to about the third next global hysteria down the line. All of the liberals now bleating about global warming will either be long dead – or swear they were on the side of ACTUAL science the whole time.

That’s how it always works. Nobody will take responsibility for this debacle in 30 years, when it becomes demonstrably false.

Nobody will even admit they believed in it.

Don’t believe me? Look at Reagan’s approval ratings. They were at 70+ % when he died. How does that happen? What about him being the anti-Christ and all? What about the millions marching against his anti-Soviet policies?

Well, somehow all those folks just dissappeared … as soon as they finally realized they were on the wrong side of history.

Or, for fun, try to find somebody who was in a panic about the “population explosion” theory. Back in the early 80s, when it was a rock-solid guarantee that we’d have 9 billion people on the planet by 2000, mass starvation in the US, etc.

Where ARE all those people?

I’ll tell you where they are – they’re in the same place Al Gore’s minions will wind up. The place cowards go when their hysteria is finally unveiled.

Professor Blather on May 31, 2007 at 11:28 AM

This Carbon Footprint thing is very confusing to me. I thought I was starting to understand it, but now find myself stuck on this question. Do Carbon Copies leave double footprints? Anyone?

soulsirkus on May 31, 2007 at 12:10 PM

This is more brilliant strategy by the Global Warmers to turn the citizens against each other. The Brits will now have to suffer condemnation just for buying food. The Global Warmers have managed to create hostility toward anyone that would fill their shopping cart so they can feed their family.

Are you starting to see how ugly and dangerous the Global Warming fraud is ?? And all of the anger and disharmony will be fomented because of the lie that is Global Warming.

Maxx on May 31, 2007 at 1:24 PM

What do you call a philosophy that cares more about “fairness” than the truth? That believes it’s the poor’s right to expect help from the rich, and the rich’s obligation to support the poor? That presupposes government is the only institution that can properly deal with any aspect of life? That praises living like animals, and condemns technological accomplishments?

I’m not sure either, but if there’s a word for it, I bet you can’t say it here.

Freelancer on May 31, 2007 at 8:43 PM

How much is this polar bear’s life worth to you?

Nothing.

Cute pic, but tough crap. That polar bear will grow up to hunt humans. I know it’s politically incorrect of me to say so, but polar bears serve no ecological purpose that nature won’t sort out without them. Hell, their demise may even INCREASE the populations of some edangered species.

Polar bears are at the top of ‘their‘ food chain much like humans. They actually hunt humans if anecdotal info is to be believed. A few more seals for the Eskimoes/Inuit/whateverthehellyoucallthem (humans) to club strenghthens their native culture. So what’s the issue?

The demise of the polar bear is not going to be the end of the world. Nature has always proved that a predator will always step up to take the place of a predator. I posit that Orca (the killer whale) will take the place as the premier seal hunter despite the best efforts of native humans.

Should we kill off all Orcas or all Inuits/Eskimoes to preserve the balance once the mighty polar bear is slain forever?

This may seem an off-topic comment, but is it?

Government/court-thinking-it-is-the-government interference with nature is going to be the downfall of us all.

Who will be left alive to protest against the polar bears after the “humainty is a disease” crowd have all perished thanks to their own initiatives?

American_Jihadist on May 31, 2007 at 9:49 PM

I’m not sure either, but if there’s a word for it, I bet you can’t say it here.

Freelancer on May 31, 2007 at 8:43 PM

You must be looking for this word: [see word here]

And you’re right, inexplicably you can not say that word at HotAir.

Maxx on May 31, 2007 at 9:53 PM

ok — that *is* inexplicable….

Claire on June 1, 2007 at 12:29 AM