Politico: “The Fred has landed” — Thompson to jump in around July 4th; Update: Did Politico get it wrong?

posted at 9:24 am on May 30, 2007 by Allahpundit

The Weekly Standard reported last night that he’d start “testing the waters” on June 4th by beginning to accept donations (and to steal some media thunder from the following day’s debate), but there was no word of when he might formally declare.

There is now.

Fred Dalton Thompson is planning to enter the presidential race over the Fourth of July holiday, announcing that week that he has already raised several million dollars and is being backed by insiders from the past three Republican administrations, Thompson advisers told The Politico…

Thompson’s formal announcement is planned for Nashville. Organizers say the red pickup truck that was a hallmark of Thompson’s first Senate race will begin showing up in Iowa and New Hampshire as an emblem of what they consider his folksy, populist appeal…

Thompson urged the supporters to muster a major show of financial force in early July, just after the June 30 deadline for second-quarter financial reports to the Federal Election Commission.

I can live with the hokiness of the pick-up truck, I guess, but if he starts riding horses I’m out of here.

Exit question: Can any man live up to this much hype or will Fred! = Flop!?

Update: Are the social cons ready to rejoice?

“A lot of conservatives have been struggling here to figure out where to go with a candidate that can keep the coalition together,” a former presidential candidate who is now president of the nonprofit American Values, Gary Bauer, told me yesterday evening, referring to the GOP alliance among economic, defense, and social conservatives. “I think Fred Thompson has a fairly decent chance of emerging as the candidate that can do that.”

I had to ask him to clarify whether this was an endorsement. He said it wasn’t.

I then asked whether Mr. Romney might also fit the bill.

“Mitt Romney is trying to fill that space,” Mr. Bauer said. “But he continues to wrestle with concerns about how recently and how sincerely he has come to those [socially conservative] positions.”

Not so fast — a chill wind is already blowing from MSNBC

On the issues, how is he any different than the front-runners? (A recent Washington Post story said his record was virtually identical to McCain’s.) And is he attracting GOPers’ attention because who he isn’t — rather than who he is? What, in short, makes him any different than Wes Clark was in 2003-4, sans the military medals?

Update: Jim Geraghty spoke to a Thompson advisor this morning and thinks Politico might have blown this one, which might be becoming a habit for them.

Just talked to a Thompson source I’ll call “TA3″ (Thompson Associate 3). Much more coming shortly, but the first word was, there will not be a presidential announcement from Fred Thompson on July 4.

(Shockingly, the Politico got it wrong again.)

TA3: “There will be no July 4 announcement… There was some discussion of a June 4 beginning of fundraising; that’s the date checks will be collected. I suspect that’s where there was some confusion.”

The only problem with Jim’s theory: other Thompson advisors corroborated Politico’s report, at least partly, with the AP:

The officials, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the plans were not public, said Thompson is dicussing plans for a campaign swing through various early primary states in late June, and is considering several options for a formal announcement should he ultimately decide to enter the race. They said that one scenario under discussion, among others, would have him officially announce his candidacy over the July 4 holiday.

I guess with no formal organization yet it’s hard for the left hand to know what the right hand is doing.

Update: WaPo’s Chris Cillizza rates the winners and losers from Thompson’s announcement. No surprise that Mitt, the current conservative standard-bearer, takes the worst of it.

Update: Politico 1, Geraghty 0. WaPo’s got its own article about the Thompson announcement out now and they appear to have independently confirmed the leanings towards a July 4th announcement with Fred’s advisors.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Remember its politicians that have to impress us not the other way around.

The ball has been pitched to Fred. It up to him to either take a swing at it and hit a home run or srike out. You cant keep asking for time when the pitcher is already on the mound.

William Amos on May 30, 2007 at 2:21 PM

I can’t decide if everyone’s using that picture where he looks like Uncle Fester as commentary or not…

Tanya on May 30, 2007 at 2:39 PM

doriangrey,

It shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone that you fred? groupies spin all his negatives into positives. I am certainly not. Anyone who thinks it’s okay to be lied to by a politician and his red pickup truck schtick, really has left the farm of rational reasoning. It’s obvious that you don’t care what he has done in the past. He’s your guy even though he is pro-choice, a washington insider, a fake, a poor investigator, and a luke-warm senator. He talks a good game and that’s enough for his groupies. Unfortunately, the worlds leaders aren’t fooled by red pickup trucks and folksy wisdom, nor do they want to be lied to.

I prefer freddie boy actually be asked those questions face to face by someone other than his mananger. Then we’ll see what he says and how he reacts once the facade he has crafted is stripped bare and all that’s left is what he really is.

csdeven on May 30, 2007 at 2:44 PM

csdeven on May 30, 2007 at 2:44 PM

Seems hes running, so why don’t you tell us how your really feel???

Its interesting that you dismiss him, and his “groupies”…

Sorry to disaggree with you in your all knowing wisdom, but when you start to call some other group disparaging names, you have, IMO, already lost the debate.

Romeo13 on May 30, 2007 at 2:54 PM

csdeven,

Why don’t you just stop the bullshit? Tell the damn truth, Fred is a republican and you hate him for that reason alone all the rest is just rationalizations for why. You don’t really give a shit about any of these bullshit issues you keep claiming disqualify Fred.

doriangrey on May 30, 2007 at 3:02 PM

Why don’t you just stop the bulls$$t? Tell the damn truth, Fred is a republican and you hate him for that reason alone all the rest is just rationalizations for why. You don’t really give a s%$t about any of these bulls$%t issues you keep claiming disqualify Fred.

doriangrey on May 30, 2007 at 3:03 PM

To date, everything said by the Thompson-bashers amounts to the fact that he is a fallible human.

His history in politics is longer than any other candidate, and is all out there to read about, so anyone claiming they just don’t know enough about him yet, GOOGLE IT.

He very simply has a stronger Constitutional/federalist position than the top-tier candidates, who doesn’t mince words when referring to his opinion on issues. He serves up the red meat of what he believes.

He has less baggage than any top-tier candidate, both personally and politically.

He knows what a Soc*alist is, and that it must be stomped on, hard, like a cockroach.

He doesn’t flinch at the potshots like Roberston claiming he’s not Christian (enough). He only responds to trivial garbage like that when asked.

He’s smart enough to craft a sensible, brief, witty and rebuking response to the likes of Michael Moore.

Did I mention that he isn’t infallible? Did I mention that he is far superior to the existing top-tier candidates?

Freelancer on May 30, 2007 at 3:05 PM

If Fred! is so harmless as a candidate, why are there so many and heated posts in this thread?

Resistance is futile. Fred!

unamused on May 30, 2007 at 3:06 PM

I’m not accusing the Boss of anything here but Michelle Malkin is hosting a picture of Thompson that doesn’t make me feel good about his health.
thegreatbeast on May 30, 2007 at 1:49 PM

:-) I ♥ MM!

csdeven on May 30, 2007 at 3:10 PM

All I know is that if Fred F. Thompson doesn’t win in 2008…

BTW, it is Fred! Dalton Thompson

I know. But the whole “Fred!” thing just strikes me as teh ghey, so I’ve decided to stick with my original appellation of Fred F***ing Thompson, now abbreviated to avoid tripping Hot Air’s ever-more-sensitive naughty word filter.

For what it’s worth, I also much prefer “The Gorifice” to the Hot Air standard The Goracle; thanks to whomever coined that one.

saint kansas on May 30, 2007 at 3:11 PM

I did have some hope that Putin might succumb to the mystical lure of the American pickup truck.

saint kansas on May 30, 2007 at 3:20 PM

Seems hes running,

Romeo13 on May 30, 2007 at 2:54 PM

“Seems”? Seems? Well, when “seems” turns into “is”, freds? groupies will finally be supporting a viable candidate.

The debate is about freddie boy, not his groupies. I wouldn’t waste my time trying to debate people who are blind to their guys weaknesses. Besides, it’s truely comical to watch adults rent their hair.

csdeven on May 30, 2007 at 3:20 PM

csdeven,

doriangrey on May 30, 2007 at 3:02 PM

I’m not sure if you are kidding or serious, so I’ll respond both ways.

If you’re kidding, I’m glad to see you finally get it.

If not, you’re scary. For you to accuse someone of being an anti-republican just because they don’t jump on the non-candidate freds? bandwagon is just ……well ….groupie-ish.

csdeven on May 30, 2007 at 3:24 PM

doriangrey on May 30, 2007 at 3:02 PM

I’m not sure if you are kidding or serious, so I’ll respond both ways.

If you’re kidding, I’m glad to see you finally get it.

csdeven on May 30, 2007 at 3:27 PM

In an interview with USA TODAY, however, the former Tennessee senator not only makes it clear that he plans to run, he describes how he aims to do it.

Not an announcment enough for you?

And once again, you use the “groupies” appelation for those of us who happen to like FRED! better than someone who Flip Flops (Romney), someone agianst Free Speech or rule of law (McCain), or someone who ran a Sanctuary City….

Is Fred! superman? of course not… but IMO he’s the best candidate out there for the Republicans.

Yep… FDS at its best…

Romeo13 on May 30, 2007 at 3:29 PM

IMO he’s the best candidate out there for the Republicans.
Romeo13 on May 30, 2007 at 3:29 PM

He isn’t a candidate.

csdeven on May 30, 2007 at 3:40 PM

csdeven on May 30, 2007 at 3:40 PM

Really? Why? Because he hasn’t filed paperwork with the Federal Elections Commision? Something that he is NOT forced to do under the Constitution?

Because he didn’t declare his candidacy in a Campaign season which has started WAY EARLIER than any other campaign season?

May want to check and see when Reagan, or Clinton, filed.

Fred! aint late… the others have been WAY early.

Romeo13 on May 30, 2007 at 3:45 PM

Pick-up trucks? I’m lookin’ to buy a ’68 Chevy stepside.

Brat on May 30, 2007 at 3:45 PM

Did anyone else happen to catch Thompson playing President Grant during this past weekend’s premiere of Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee?

He was only in one brief scene, but it was still interesting to see him playing yet another role as POTUS.

The Ugly American on May 30, 2007 at 3:47 PM

Romeo13 on May 30, 2007 at 3:45 PM

Not just that, but as important, because HE says he isn’t.

csdeven on May 30, 2007 at 3:49 PM

Pick-up trucks? I’m lookin’ to buy a ‘68 Chevy stepside.

Brat on May 30, 2007 at 3:45 PM

How bout an original 1960 GMC?

csdeven on May 30, 2007 at 3:52 PM

Not just that, but as important, because HE says he isn’t.

csdeven on May 30, 2007 at 3:49 PM

Source?

USA Today and other sources say otherwise.

Romeo13 on May 30, 2007 at 4:02 PM

Fred is making a move in Iowa

Fred starts Iowa campaign

William Amos on May 30, 2007 at 4:08 PM

csdeven

Oh I am quite serious, and it has nothing to do with you not jumping on the Fred Bandwagon. It has everything to do with your despicable Shillaryisq attempts at denigrating the character of an individual whom you have never conversed with solely based upon the idea that the person might run for President as a republican.

The partisan nature of your attacks is as blatant as the sun in the sky at noon on a cloudless day. The arrogant condescending attitude you consistently insist on displaying with regard to your obvious liberal elitist leanings is sickening, yea believe it or not we get it you’re obviously way smarter than us poor stupid uneducated red neck conservatives and we’ll never catch on to what you are implying and insinuating.

Some of us poor stupid uneducated red neck conservatives actually have pretty damn good educations and are intelligent enough to seen what Fred was doing right from the start. Just like we see what you have been doing right from the start. The only person that you are fooling here is you.

doriangrey on May 30, 2007 at 4:24 PM

I reckon the only way I would vote for Fred! is if he turns out to be MITT’S! VP running mate. A Beauty and the Beast ticket. Fred! could be a Cheney-like pit bull for MITT!

How bout an original 1960 GMC?

csdeven on May 30, 2007 at 3:52 PM

Apologies to all – I didn’t mean to turn this thread into truck swap. Although I have my heart set on a ’68, I never pass up a look-see at any Chevy or GMC ’72 or older.

Brat on May 30, 2007 at 4:29 PM

I’m really getting tired of these Fred? announcements. It’s not that I don’t like Fred?, but it seems that the announcements themselves are full of hype.

But either way, I guess July 4th is going to become a very interesting holiday. :-)

Darnell Clayton on May 30, 2007 at 4:29 PM

Wow! The best news I have heard all day – Fred! running for president. I just hope he has enough time ….

Fred! is the most exciting candidate to run for years. He has basic common sense, honesty, integrity, and wisdom that has been so painfully lacking in the White House for many years.

Finally a condidate we can get excited about, who has the probability of excellent performance, and not have to vote for the one who will do the least amount of damage. Finally! Fred!

omegaram on May 30, 2007 at 4:37 PM

How bout an original 1960 GMC?

Only if you strip your Kerry/Edwards and Flip-Flop Mitt bumper stickers off it first.

Hollowpoint on May 30, 2007 at 4:41 PM

Fred is obviously going to announce sometime in early summer. Why do we have to make such a big deal out of the exact timing?

He is also not a perfect candidate (just a lot better than any of the others). Most of his positions are in total agreement with mainstream America.

Although there is a lot of time left it seems likely that he will get the nomination. If he is nominated it is really hard to see him not winning over any of the possible Dems. The 12 to 20 million illegals won’t be able to vote yet.

Hopefully, if Fred is the next president the “thing” about to forced down on us about illegals can still be salvaged.

duff65 on May 30, 2007 at 4:43 PM

Hollowpoint on May 30, 2007 at 4:41 PM

LOL….

Ouch…. thats gonna leave a mark…

Romeo13 on May 30, 2007 at 4:44 PM

Come on, we all know csdevan is just trolling the Fred! supporters for a response. Why? I don’t know, trolls are just like that. Why do people like to watch bestiality on the internet. Different strokes for different folks.

I, for one, am going to be supporting Fred! in his primary campaign. csdevan’s posts won’t change that. It shouldn’t change it for the rest of the Fred! supporters either. If he/she/it wants to support someone else so be it, I won’t be hassling he/she/it over it. I heard Tommy Thompson did some stuff in Wisconsin.

With that being said, McCain may as well have kicked a puppy on the disney channel. His little amnesty gambit shot his chances all to hell.

Its all about Fred!
Guilliani would be ok as a second choice too.
Romney will not get the southern baptist vote so his chances are slim. Besides, Mitt is not a name that will strike fear in the islamofacist like the name Fred! will. I can just hear it now in a cave in Pakistan: “Holy mother loving goat shit, Fred!’s coming”.

But anyways………

Sammy316 on May 30, 2007 at 4:58 PM

LMAO, Hollowpoint.
But way underneath those, would there be a Kennedy or Nixon sticker?

Brat on May 30, 2007 at 4:59 PM

I have to agree with Sammy316: Based on my recent experiences in a different thread, “csdeven” is a troll. I wouldn’t waste a lot of time replying to him, unless you just feel like practicing your rhetorical writing.

Blacklake on May 30, 2007 at 5:10 PM

LMAO, Hollowpoint.
But way underneath those, would there be a Kennedy or Nixon sticker?

Good question… questionable support for conservative principles, East Coast RINO supporter… I don’t know if there’s a Kennedy or Nixon sticker under there, but you can be damn sure there’s a “Spiro Agnew For President” sticker a few layers down.

Hollowpoint on May 30, 2007 at 5:20 PM

I’m with Michelle on this… what’s to say? Get in already, geez. or dont. Whatever.

Dash on May 30, 2007 at 5:31 PM

I would rather have half a conservative in lieu of NO conservative in the White House. Thompson, like Bob Dole lacks the charisma to win and that is the bottom line.

MaiDee on May 30, 2007 at 5:36 PM

I’m thinking that if Fred will come in and provide leadership to opponents of this BushKennedy Amnesty Giveaway he’ll be pretty unstoppable. Also if he maintains his “secure the border first” message I’ll know that he is serious about our national security in the GWOT…. if not, he’s dead in the water. I’m a realist enough to realize that for a Republican to get elected in 2008 he’ll have to gain support from at least some Democrats but I prefer that support to come from the center right of the party and not the anti gun, pro illegal, gay rights section of the party.

Buzzy on May 30, 2007 at 5:51 PM

BTW, and I mean this sincerely, is it true that Thompson voted against impeaching Clinton on perjury? I heard it, but I can’t seem to find it anywhere.

amerpundit on May 30, 2007 at 12:19 PM

Here’s the info:

Perjury: Not guilty
Obstruction of Justice: Guilty

baldilocks on May 30, 2007 at 5:55 PM

Buzzy on May 30, 2007 at 5:51 PM

He just needs to run on a “Law and Order” platform…

/pun intended…

Romeo13 on May 30, 2007 at 5:57 PM

run, Fred, run!

stevezilla on May 30, 2007 at 6:08 PM

doriangrey on May 30, 2007 at 4:24 PM

hahaha

You really have left the farm haven’t you? Tell us, have you framed your signed pair of fred? undies and hung them in a place of honor in your home?

Jeeze! You groupies are better than comedy central!

csdeven on May 30, 2007 at 7:11 PM

Sammy316 on May 30, 2007 at 4:58 PM

HAHAHA!
You’re serious aren’t you? You groupies just leave all reason at the door don’t you? We just had a guy leave a link that fred? started his campaign in Iowa, but when you read the article, it admits he hasn’t done anything but flap his gums about running.

HAHAHA! I don’t know how much more of this I can take. This much laughing can’t be good for a person.

csdeven on May 30, 2007 at 7:19 PM

csdeven on May 30, 2007 at 7:19 PM

Sure it is – good for the soul, as they say.

I’m curious which candidate you support, however, and wonder if Thompson does end up being the nominee whether you’ll be able to stand being in the same tent with so many “groupies.” Seems to me there’s too much at stake for conservatives to get this quarrelsome with one another over who supports which candidate.

Would a Thompson candidacy drive a certain segment of conservatives to abandon the nominee for a third-party candidate?

Slublog on May 30, 2007 at 7:39 PM

Be sure to let us know, because quite a few of us will be laughing at you when Fred wins.

Hollowpoint on May 30, 2007 at 7:41 PM

They would have to be a conservative in the first place. I have a sneaking feeling our friend is a Ron Paul sycophant.

Sammy316 on May 30, 2007 at 7:49 PM

Bradky,

For many of you Fred will flunk the illegal immigration litmus test:

If I am any indication of how other Fred supporters are going to react to Fred’s track record on immigration then you are going to be very disappointed. I looked over the links you provided and said OH YEA……Fred really does get it.

I like the vast majority of this country am not against immigration, I think immigration is GREAT…So long as you do it LEGALLY….Fred’s voting record shows exactly that point of view.

Come here legally and abide by our laws and you are 100% welcome, hell bring your families bring your cousins and aunts and uncles, just do it according to our laws and abide by our laws when you get here.

Break our laws to get here and/or (but not exclusive upon) continue breaking those laws and its time for you to go……..

doriangrey on May 30, 2007 at 8:03 PM

Slublog on May 30, 2007 at 7:39 PM

I haven’t settled on anyone yet. But as I have said from the get go, I will support whoever has the best chance of beating the dem front-runner.

The groupies are only groupies because fred? hasn’t announced and they are slobbering all over him, renting their hair like he is the heir apparent. He is not a candidate and therefore unvuable. And all their fawning over him is absolutely comedic. The minute he does announce, then they have a viable candidate to support, and in my mind they are then merely supporters.

As you can see, when I try to inject some realistic concerns about freddie boy, the groupies go absolutely wacky with rage. I’m probably way right of many of his groupies but they are so blind in their frothing anger that anyone would dare challenged their non-candidate, that they miss all the subtle clues that I am a conservative and view them as needing some education in real conservatism.

They are definately afraid that fred? isn’t going to pass the smell test after/if/when he changes from non-candidate to candidate. They are not bothered by his pickup truck fakery. He is pro-choice, a washington lobbiest, more actor than public servant, and he has other issues that any true conservative is going to want answered face to face and not in a prepared speech or in an interview that could have been conducted by his manager.

That’s enough for them to slavishly support him and that is more like a groupie than a supporter.

No thanks. He gets no pass from me. When he grows a pair and announces, gets interviewed in hostile enviroments, and has to debate real candidates, I’ll give him the credibility that has always been reserved for REAL candidates.

csdeven on May 30, 2007 at 8:06 PM

Bradky on May 30, 2007 at 7:13 PM

The second organization you linked, Americans for Better Immigration, has a horrendous website. There are no links to the original legislation and the explanations for the issues are terribly slanted and for that reason uninformative.

In general, I find On the Issues a much better resource.

I’m not sold on Thompson, but I am a fan of treating candidates with some degree of fairness.

Slublog on May 30, 2007 at 8:12 PM

Sammy316 on May 30, 2007 at 7:49 PM

hahaha

Riiiiight. And just like Chertoff said, people who oppose this immigration bill wont be satisfied with anything less than capital punishment.

And just as Bush said, those opposed to the immigration bill are picking out very minor points to oppose it on.

You see the pattern here? Your groupie-ish devotion to freddie boy doesn’t like it when others don’t share your slavish support, so you build a strawman that you can knock down and remain in your deluded state concerning those who don’t agree with you.

Well, you, hollowpoint, and the rest of you fred? groupies can have fun with that.

hahaha

csdeven on May 30, 2007 at 8:14 PM

csdeven on May 30, 2007 at 8:06 PM

Thank you for your explanation. I disagree with your characterization of Thompson supporters, however. I think most of them are conservatives who are simply not satisfied with the current field and who are looking for a candidate who can clearly articulate conservative ideals.

Thompson may be umproven (I look forward to hearing more about him), but he has thus far done a good job inspiring some degree of optimism in conservatives, something we haven’t had in awhile.

Slublog on May 30, 2007 at 8:23 PM

csdeven on May 30, 2007 at 8:06 PM

So, your problem with Fred! is that he is smart enough not to set himself up in a free fire zone where you can snipe at him??? (which you are doing anyway?)….

He’s smart enough NOT to declare into a Presidential race that started almost a YEAR earlier than any other race in history??? That he is following the “historical” schedule of declaring?

And then call those of us who happen to support him as the least objectionable candidate as “deluded”?

Yep… yer a troll… and I for one, by popular request, will no longer respond to your trolling…

Buh Bye!

FRED! 08

Romeo13 on May 30, 2007 at 8:25 PM

Slublog on May 30, 2007 at 8:23 PM

Pah. Meant to say “unproven.”

Slublog on May 30, 2007 at 8:26 PM

csdeven,

They are not bothered by his pickup truck fakery.

Hmm, a pick-up truck that he first leased and then bought from his fathers used car lot, nope doesnt bother me in the slightest.

He is pro-choice,

Wrong he is a federalist who believes in states rights and doesnt believe that the federal government has any business funding abortions.

a washington lobbiest,

Nope dont have a problem with that either……

more actor than public servant,

You couldnt be more wrong if you tried.

Such as?????

doriangrey on May 30, 2007 at 8:34 PM

doriangrey on May 30, 2007 at 8:03 PM

I just thought the links were interesting. I did find it notable that Kyl and Hutchison (neither a candidate but both have been kind of excoriated by some in the hotair forum) did better than Fred and Newt and Al Gore cores better than all candidates.

We know each other’s view on immigration so I won’t bore you. Just thought the site was interesting in regards to the candidates.
I report you decide.

Slublog,
Not sure how you define slanted – http://grades.betterimmigration.com/howcalculated.php3 lists their methodology.

Bradky on May 30, 2007 at 8:39 PM

Phred ’08. Okay. Now we need a cabinet.

V.P. – Mitt the suit
A.G. – Giuliani the crime killer
Grand Poobah and chief consultant for everything – Newt Gingrich
Secretary of State – John Bolton
Director of Homeland Security – Tom Tancredo
Press Secretary – Ann Coulter (just for the fun of it)

…believe

Mojave Mark on May 30, 2007 at 8:40 PM

It’s not the grading metheodology that bothers me. It’s the limited background material they provide. I prefer original sources to having someone tell me what they think a law means.

Slublog on May 30, 2007 at 8:41 PM

Bradky on May 30, 2007 at 8:39 PM

Also, I find animated gifs really irritating.

Seriously, though, I do have a general dislike for special interest groups. I live in a swing state and endure their stupid commercials every election cycle.

Slublog on May 30, 2007 at 8:47 PM

Mojave Mark,

Phred ‘08. Okay. Now we need a cabinet.

V.P. – Mitt the suit
A.G. – Giuliani the crime killer
Grand Poobah and chief consultant for everything – Newt Gingrich
Secretary of State – John Bolton
Director of Homeland Security – Tom Tancredo
Press Secretary – Ann Coulter (just for the fun of it)

With a cabinet like that this country just might survive………

doriangrey on May 30, 2007 at 8:50 PM

Bradky,

Depends entirely on your definition of BETTER…..If by better you mean were more anti-immigration and more isolationist then yes they did. If however you mean more anti-illegal immigration but pro legal immigration and not an isolationist then Fred came out on top.

Slublog,

Their slant is towards being anti-immigration, the more each candidate restricted immigration, not just illegal immigration, the higher they scored.

doriangrey on May 30, 2007 at 8:57 PM

doriangrey on May 30, 2007 at 8:57 PM

Good point. I guess I’m just not a fan of the “report card” approach to political issues.

For the record, I thought it was unfair to all candidates, not just Thompson.

Slublog on May 30, 2007 at 9:05 PM

Slublog & Dorien,

Geez! I just thought they were interesting for discussion. Sometimes I’m just not in the mood to trot out a 10,000 word manifesto ;)

Bradky on May 30, 2007 at 9:10 PM

Mojave Mark on May 30, 2007 at 8:40 PM,

With Cabinet suggestions like that, you get to be Chief of Staff!!!

:-)

INC on May 30, 2007 at 9:11 PM

Bradky on May 30, 2007 at 9:10 PM

Hahaha…sorry. I’m just in mood this evening, I guess. Didn’t mean to take it out on you. I do apologize.

Slublog on May 30, 2007 at 9:13 PM

Grrrr…In “A” mood.

Slublog on May 30, 2007 at 9:13 PM

Bradky,

Geez! I just thought they were interesting for discussion.

So did I, which I thought would be rather obvious by my post…And BTW discussing them is what we are doing.

I looked over the links you provided and said OH YEA……Fred really does get it.

That however does not change the fact that they are biased, from their own website I give you…..

Americans for Better Immigration (ABI) is a non-profit, non-partisan organization which lobbies Congress for reductions in immigration numbers.

ABI believes the problem with immigration today is not the individual immigrant but the numbers. “Better” immigration is lower immigration.

By grading federal politicians on their immigration actions, ABI provides one of the essential tools for helping citizens demand the policy they want.

doriangrey on May 30, 2007 at 9:32 PM

Bradky,

Oh and if you dont quit calling me Dorien I’m going to start calling you Marsha Brady……

doriangrey on May 30, 2007 at 9:35 PM

Romeo13 on May 30, 2007 at 8:25 PM

You expose your own misgivings about the guy when you agree that he is smart enough to stay out of venues that he is unable to defend himself in. The real candidates aren’t afraid of going into enemy territory. Your fred? sounds more like the cowardly dems avoiding a Fox debate because he’s afraid of tough questions.

If that is the case, you like the cowardly dems, will deserve what you get.

csdeven on May 30, 2007 at 10:22 PM

doriangrey on May 30, 2007 at 9:35 PM

Doriangrey,

When I saw Al (pha Male) Gore had an A- I thought it might be a tad skewed as well.

Marsha Marsha Marsha!

Bradky on May 30, 2007 at 11:23 PM

AP, from Hot Air or this country? You’re such a funny guy.

Breaking (around Feb. 2008) – Fred! wins the republican nominatin, sans: csdeven, amerpundit, Bradky and MSNBC. When asked to comment Fred! said

I’ve got to fight to have the guts enough to follow my own instincts. Everybody is going to make mistakes anyway. Things are going to happen. You’re going to have good days and bad. You might as well do it your way. I hope that csdeven and amerpundit will come around and vote for me in the fall. csdeven, I’ll even give you a ride in that red pickup truck.

On a serious note I think the blogs will get very busy – HA get ready to play a prominent role for Fred! And I don’t mean just writing about him.

Entelechy on May 31, 2007 at 1:38 AM

You know what seperates him from the other contenders in my mind? I might be willing to give him money. I might even be willing to volunteer. I would vote for Romney, and I would probably vote for Rudy, but I won’t do more than that for either of them.

How is he different from McCain? Well, with all due respect, McCain is an asshole. He hates the people that he expects to vote for him and he makes no attempt to hide it. If he didn’t do that, and he weren’t so in favor of surrenduring to Mexico, then most of the people who are drooling over Fred! might be drooling over him.

Wolfman on May 31, 2007 at 3:46 AM

Personally, I don’t know why anyone would want the job.

Glynn on May 31, 2007 at 7:18 AM

amerpundit on May 30, 2007 at 12:19 PM

He did vote not to impeach.

Glynn on May 31, 2007 at 7:25 AM

On July 4th, Fred Dalton Thompson will be named…”The Worst Person In The World!!!” by Keith “But mom, you’ve GOT to watch my show!!” OlberDork.

BigOrangeAxe on May 31, 2007 at 8:32 AM

Glynn,

He did vote not to impeach.

Personally I don’t have a problem with this. I was unhappy with Bill about many of the things that he did, his perjury before a Grand Jury especially grievous, but impeaching a sitting President is not something to be undertaken lightly.

But then again there was also quite a bit about the man that I did like; you have to admit that the man is charismatic likeable and very upbeat positive outlook on the world kind of guy. So no I’m not getting my panties in a bunch over the fact that he didn’t get impeached, hell I voted for him…twice.

I wouldn’t have been heart broken if he had been impeached but now in retrospect I think it would have set a very bad precedent, I just wish that he had come forward right from the start with a mea culpa, America loves a mea culpa and it would have turned the whole sex in the White House issue into a non-issue before it ever became an issue.

As for Fred’s vote, like I said in retrospect I think Fred did the right thing.

doriangrey on May 31, 2007 at 10:23 AM

Personally I don’t have a problem with this.
doriangrey on May 31, 2007 at 10:23 AM

hahaha

Reaaaaalyyyyyyyyy?

Why would you? You want him to lie to you, so this really isn’t a surprise.

csdeven on May 31, 2007 at 11:05 AM

csdeven,

You want him to lie to you,

Yup, I like being lied to, that’s why I keep provoking responses out of you. Ole Fred just can’t keep up with my needs, that’s why I keep turning to you. You are a good and faithful friend satiating my need to be lied to at nearly a moments notice, god its good to have friends like you……

doriangrey on May 31, 2007 at 2:30 PM

If that is the case, you like the cowardly dems, will deserve what you get.

csdeven on May 30, 2007 at 10:22 PM

Your characterizations of both a man and those who want him to be the next president, have moved from thought-provoking, through insulting, to just plain stupid. You have moved to just plain stupid. I guess if you’re going to feel no problem with direct insults, you can take it.

How and when Thompson makes his decision has been explained ad nauseum, but that’s never good enough for you, the trolling attention-whore of the Fred! threads. TV contract, series season, donation-reporting. It’s not about any of those things, it’s because he’s a COWARD.

And since those of us who think he’s the best choice are expressing our HOPE that he decides to run, you say we’re fools. And then repeat your fall-back that it’s good-natured jesting.

Shut up already.

Freelancer on May 31, 2007 at 6:47 PM

Shut up already.

Freelancer on May 31, 2007 at 6:47 PM

Uhhhhhh, HELLO? Your buddy said fred? was staying out of free fire zones and I responded to his comment. If that isn’t your feelings about the guy, then I guess it don’t make a lot of sense for you to get your panties in a twist over it.

As far as freddie boys so called reasons for not announcing, he could announce that he would be running and that would be better than what he is doing.

So maybe you should be taking your own advice about shutting up?

csdeven on May 31, 2007 at 8:16 PM

Mr. Thompson said the reason he didn’t vote for impeachment was because he knew Al Gore would be an even worse president than Clinton. It certainly would have given Gore a head start on the 2000 election.

Rose on May 31, 2007 at 11:15 PM

Rose on May 31, 2007 at 11:15 PM

Agreed. I thought a lot about this at the time it was happening. A vote for impeachment would have meant running against a sitting president Al Gore. Given the a fact that Bush won because several thousand Floridians were too STUPID to know how to cast a ballot, I’d say Phred made the right call.

Mojave Mark on June 1, 2007 at 12:28 AM

You guys are giving Gore too much credit. Had he been president for even a year, he would have followed his loony moonbat agenda and Bush would have beaten him by a landslide.

csdeven on June 1, 2007 at 8:00 AM

You could be right be we would have been stuck with him for four years and I just can’t stand his smarminess. Is that a word?

Rose on June 1, 2007 at 3:03 PM