Video: Point/counterpoint — construction at Ground Zero

posted at 8:49 pm on May 28, 2007 by Allahpundit

Onion parodies have a way of coming true. And if this debate ever happens, we know which network will carry it.

Comments

Why is it soooo easy to picture Wolf Blitzer doing this interview.

EEprom on May 28, 2007 at 9:00 PM

“… and they should make kindergartens, many of them, towards the top of the tower, so that the children will have an especially good view of flying objects…”

Seixon on May 28, 2007 at 9:21 PM

Wow, I could see that happening.

vcferlita on May 28, 2007 at 9:26 PM

“It is our goal to continue to make places where people can go and mourn the death of their loved ones.” That’s a great line.

Tanya on May 28, 2007 at 9:37 PM

I’m still livid they aren’t building them back exactly the same way they were.

SouthernGent on May 28, 2007 at 10:27 PM

That was a bit too real for me.

4shoes on May 28, 2007 at 10:40 PM

It would have been funnier if it wasn’t an Al Qaeda rep, but some sort of less-explicitly-terrorist Muslim activist organization (ie, CAIR, though it might mean inventing a fictional stand-in). Funnier, and outside the Onion’s frame of reference, probably.

Alex K on May 28, 2007 at 10:56 PM

Mr. Oberbite would be doing this interview.

Tim Burton on May 29, 2007 at 12:19 AM

The WTC towers should have been rebuilt by now, just as the Pentagon was rebuilt.

And redone with exact replicas.

They could have left the top 50 floors as an open structure with a memorial carillon, with 3,000 bells to be rung on every 9/11.

That way you wouldn’t not only honor those lost individually, but wouldn’t endanger people in the new buildings beyond the reach of evacuation within a reasonable amount of time. Plus you preserve the same iconic image that was pruposely destroyed.

Nothing different will carry the same power as what was lost.

No one wouldn have suggested building a different structure if the Capitol had been hit.

Why change NYC’s profound skyline just to appease martinet architetcts, power-drunk politicos and the vile psychopaths of al-Qaeda?

The rebuilding is 5 years overdue.

And the entire enterprise is a squalid example of a paralyzed lack of will mixed with puny egos run amok.

profitsbeard on May 29, 2007 at 1:18 AM

I was at Ground Zero yesterday with some out of town visitors and one asked me why we had not already rebuilt…I had no answer.

DoctorDentons on May 29, 2007 at 6:46 AM

That was a bit too real for me.

4shoes on May 28, 2007 at 10:40 PM

For the comedy to work, it has to exaggerate reality. Not much of an exaggeration…was it? Great stuff.

Jaibones on May 29, 2007 at 9:10 AM

Anything short of rebuilding the Twin Towers is a huge victory for al-Qaeda. They will always point to the fact that they brought down the towers forever as a major milestone in their war against us.

I just find it amazing that such a small group of elitists were able to jam that Freedom Tower monstrosity down the throats of the American people. It is criminal that this be allowed to happen.

Rebuild the Twin Towers!

kcluva on May 29, 2007 at 10:09 AM

When the Twin Towers came down, they should have built the Quadruple Towers in their place.

Tantor on May 29, 2007 at 5:51 PM

I think I understand those that would re-build the Towers,
however, I also have a feeling that the area should be left void of another tall building. Did we “raise” the Arizona
at Pearl Harbor?? It is a difficult debate I suppose.

gary on May 29, 2007 at 6:20 PM