UK professors’ union won’t report campus jihadis

posted at 9:34 pm on May 28, 2007 by Allahpundit

But of course. Jihad is the vanguard of radical dissent; to report it would be positively McCarthyist, even though the defense always offered for American communists, in stark contrast to the mujahedeen, is that they sought peaceful change through traditional political channels.

And to think, some people believe there’s a leftist/Islamist alliance.

Academics are threatening to derail a Government drive to root out Islamic extremists on university campuses.

The University and College Union, will ask its 120,000 members to refuse to take part in the Government-led “witch hunt”…

[A government report] asks lecturers to vet Islamic preachers who have been invited to campuses, ensure that “hate literature” is not distributed among students and report suspicious behaviour to police.

But at the UCU annual conference in Bournemouth, lecturers will warn of a “recent rise” in racism and its “apparent promotion by Government policies”.

Academics at the union’s London Metropolitan University branch will say that “increasingly restrictive measures and the xenophobic language surrounding them” has led to an increase in racist attacks on Muslims.

Islamophobia and the attempts at increased surveillance on Muslim communities are not only encouraging racist and xenophobic tendencies in Britain but are also leading to measures that threaten civil liberties,” they will warn.

One intel expert interviewed by the Telegraph estimates extremists are at work on no less than 25 campuses. Here’s a little background reading for you, also courtesy of the Telegraph, as first published some nine months ago. Last September, in an article about jihadist terror camps run by hook-handed wackjob cleric Abu Hamza, the Observer noted that “Many of those attending the camps are thought to belong to radical Muslim societies based on university campuses.”

Hmmm. “The University and College Union,” huh? Where have I heard that name mentioned recently?

Oh, right.

Comments

Prof Anthony Glees, the director of Brunel University’s centre for intelligence and security studies, criticised university authorities for ignoring the threat to national security in their midst. “Institutions have not sought to address the problem: they have instead sought to undermine those who have raised the issue,”

Hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil… with a twist. UCU have obviously been touched by the dark side…

Zorro on May 28, 2007 at 9:49 PM

I wonder if the union would go along with an effort to root out Zionist extremists… My magic 8-ball says… Count on it!

Seixon on May 28, 2007 at 10:08 PM

The union is already boycotting the Zionist extremists.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on May 28, 2007 at 10:14 PM

Why is academia so darn dumb?

SouthernGent on May 28, 2007 at 10:28 PM

Hmmm. “The University and College Union,” huh? Where have I heard that name mentioned before recently?

Not surprising at all!!

4shoes on May 28, 2007 at 10:34 PM

Heh.

Odd, that.

Jaibones on May 28, 2007 at 10:35 PM

When jihadis bomb this campus, these profs will scream “Why didn’t we stop this?!”

Tony737 on May 29, 2007 at 12:19 AM

Stupid atheist commies! [No, strike that.] Stupid people who are atheists because you are commies: don’t you know you are infidels? You’re hoping all this a**-kissing will insure that the wolf eats you last?

smellthecoffee on May 29, 2007 at 12:29 AM

So, let me see if I’ve got this straight. It was racist, white, xenophobic, anti-gay, anti-woman, anti-partial birth abortion, crusader Christians who flew the planes into the World Trade Center Towers, The Pentagon, and a field in PA?

Well suprise, suprise of course there’s going to be a backlash against Muslims

calnevari on May 29, 2007 at 12:59 AM

Jihadists = witches?

But, outside of Macbeth, witches don’t exist.

No witches flew broomsticks into the World Trade Towers.

No witches blow up carbombs in crowded Iraqi markets.

No witches beheaded Daniel Pearl or Nick Berg.

No witches exploded backpacks in London.

Every academic trying to prevent rational self-defense against proven homicidal lunatics should be given a one-way ticket to Mecca.

Let them see the belly of the beast up close and personal.

Before they are arrested for being intrusive infidel dogs.

profitsbeard on May 29, 2007 at 1:59 AM

My maternal grandfathers’ parents were English.
His mother was a London born Christian who converted to Judaism to marry my polish born but very London raised Jewish great-grandfather.
They(and my great uncle) supposedly came over here because ‘Pop’ couldn’t find work as a Bond Street tailor.

I always thought the fact that I was part British was cool.
‘Poppa” couldn’t have disagreed more.
He said that the reason his parents and brother had to leave England was deep seated anti-semitism.
He NEVER used the term “anti-semite”-unless he was speaking about the UK.
How bad could it have been-after all his parents were able to get married without ‘Nana’s’ family disowning her.
And lot of Bond Street tailors couldn’t find work at that time.

So what was the big deal?

I used to laugh about it.
…I’m not laughing anymore.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 29, 2007 at 8:38 AM

Yeah, they can do whatever they want though. It’s not like they’re reliant on Government funding for Universities in the UK, right?

I’m sure the Universities there run on a fully funded capitalist system, so the Government has no leverage to… hahahahahaha

Damn, I almost got through that one. Ok everyone, I think we all know the next step in dealing with a recalitrant teenager.

Parent: Do this for me.
Teen: No, you’re mean, and I hate you.
Parent: Ok, do this for me, or you get no allowance this month.

I predict full compliance within 6 months… and at least 8 months spent complaining about how mean the guy who pays the bills happens to be…

gekkobear on May 29, 2007 at 9:54 AM

Actauly I see this union either soon being disbanded, or having an inside takeover…

The rank and file probably don’t believe whats going on… most teachers are just people. Its just eh nuts are running the asylum…

Hopefully the rank and file will “fix” this.

Romeo13 on May 29, 2007 at 10:15 AM

There are no such thing as witches, but jihadis are all too real. The witches were unjustly accused while the jihadis are rightfully accused.

Tantor on May 29, 2007 at 5:41 PM