Richardson: I will unite Yankee and Red Sox fans

posted at 11:32 am on May 28, 2007 by Allahpundit

He’s been nominated four times for the Nobel Peace Prize. This would cinch it.

Even on matters as trivial as this, they can’t take a side:

MR. RUSSERT: You spent a lot of time in, in Massachusetts. Are you a Red Sox fan?

GOV. RICHARDSON: I’m a Red Sox fan, but I got into trouble in New Hampshire. You know why? Because I said…

MR. RUSSERT: Luis Tiant, the fund-raiser. But, now, governor, this is very serious. In your book on page 18 it says…

GOV. RICHARDSON: No, about Mickey Mantle?

MR. RUSSERT: You said you’re a Yankee fan!

GOV. RICHARDSON: No, no, no. I said—no, no, no.

GOV. RICHARDSON: What I said, the Associated Press asked me, “If you weren’t running for president, if you weren’t running for president, what would you rather be?” I’ve always been a Red Sox fan, but I said if I weren’t running for president I would like to be number seven, Mickey Mantle, playing center field for the New York Yankees.

MR. RUSSERT: “Because of Mickey Mantle, I became a Yankee fan.”

GOV. RICHARDSON: I, my favorite team has always been the Red Sox.

MR. RUSSERT: You’re a Red Sox fan.

GOV. RICHARDSON: I’m a Red Sox fan.

MR. RUSSERT: End of subject.

GOV. RICHARDSON: End of subject.

MR. RUSSERT: You better get rid of this book.

GOV. RICHARDSON: Oh, no! I’m also a Yankee fan. I also like…

MR. RUSSERT: Oh, now, wait a minute!

GOV. RICHARDSON: But I like—Mickey Mantle was my hero. If I weren’t running for president, and the Associated Press asked me, I’d play center field for the New York—I wanted to be number seven. And—but I still love the Red Sox as a team. I mean, this is the thing about me, Tim. I can bring people together. I can unify people.

MR. RUSSERT: Yankee fans and Red Sox fans?

GOV. RICHARDSON: Yes.

MR. RUSSERT: Not a chance.

GOV. RICHARDSON: Well, I bet you I can.

Comments

Ha good luck! Beantown people think everyone forgot the absurd pagan rituals they performed to “Reverse the Curse”, but we’ll never forget!

Bucky Dent! Bucky ******* Dent! ;)

Dash on May 28, 2007 at 11:46 AM

Yankees Sucks. Jets Suck. Knicks Suck. Krypton Sucks.

lorien1973 on May 28, 2007 at 11:52 AM

As a life-long Red Sox fan, I can attest that it’s impossible to be a Red Sox fan and a fan of the Evil Empire.

File this under Pandering, Political.

flipflop on May 28, 2007 at 11:53 AM

Hey, AP, did you all realize that every blogad strip spot on this site has its price set to:

Price
$9999999.00 ?

All the ads have been blank for weeks now. It’s a good site, but $10 million a week for an ad? :)

lorien1973 on May 28, 2007 at 11:58 AM

Bah. As a Yank fan, I rooted for the Sox once they beat us in ’04, if for no other reason than to rub in the fact that there was no Curse of the Bambino, but rather, an unusually long string of craptacular baseball and incompetent management.

You wanna impress me??? Unite Yank fan and Met fan.

Kid from Brooklyn on May 28, 2007 at 12:32 PM

Yeah, the reason for that will become clear next Monday.

Allahpundit on May 28, 2007 at 12:35 PM

Is it good or bad news, Allah?

OhioCoastie on May 28, 2007 at 12:53 PM

Never! (re: the title of this post)

RightWinged on May 28, 2007 at 12:54 PM

Yeah, the reason for that will become clear next Monday.

Allahpundit on May 28, 2007 at 12:35 PM

10. Because that is when you are going to reveal what you look like and this site will be flooded with hits?

9. You and Bryan will sing a duet about HotBack MountainAir?

8. Michelle on a trampoline again?

7. Mary Katharine Ham on a trampoline?

6. Michelle, Mary Katharine Ham, and Carol Channing on a trampoline?

5. Hyena mud wrestling?

4. Fred! and Newt will announce, live on a streaming HotAir event, that they might be, if the climate is right, that they could, possibly, some time soon, unless it’s a full moon, that one day . . .

3. Rosie, now free from her contract, will be a regular on The Vent.

2. John Edwards just gave another speach on poverty and found out this is a good place for Campaign ads.

1. You reveal that you are really Kirsten Powers?

- The Cat

MirCat on May 28, 2007 at 1:04 PM

Wow, that was a deep political analysis of how that man plans to govern on the compex geopolitical issues facing our nation in the years ahead.
Russert must be so proud of himself. And they wonder why no one is watching television “news” anymore.

naliaka on May 28, 2007 at 1:15 PM

Did Mr. Potato Head ask Governor Blutarsky about his bogus claim of being drafted by the A’s?

BTW, a very nice Sox fan hooked up this Yankees fan with tickets for this weekend at Fenway. I’m sure all the fans will be very nice to me…

JammieWearingFool on May 28, 2007 at 1:20 PM

My first words were “Yankees suck”

He’s got not chance

Mortis on May 28, 2007 at 1:23 PM

MirCat on May 28, 2007 at 1:04 PM

None of the above (besides, we know Allah is Andy Levy already, so he couldn’t be Kirsten Powers).

Fox News bought Hot Air, that’s what this is about.

RightWinged on May 28, 2007 at 1:39 PM

RW,

Oh, I hope you’re wrong about that.

Krydor on May 28, 2007 at 1:55 PM

Richardson: I will unite Yankee and Red Sox fans

yeah right, dream on dipstick (eye roll)

Laura02420 on May 28, 2007 at 1:57 PM

When I heard Richardson denigrate our efforts in Iraq while pointing out how many OTHER MORE IMPORTANT things America needed to address — like the crisis in Darfur and the world wide AIDS epidemic — than wasting our time fighting Al Qaeda in a “civil war” in Iraq, I nearly threw a shoe at the TV.

This lying, pompous, whoring A$$HOLE is no different from Dennis “The Red Menace” Kucinich or any other Treason Party candidate for the presidency.

I am especially upset as this two-faced fool has received a cease and desist demand from the parents of a Iraq war KIA to stop using their son’s name in his campaign literature and speeches.

georgej on May 28, 2007 at 2:30 PM

I didn’t see the interview, but the transcript looks horrible. Richardson seems like he’s falling into the same old trap of trying to please everybody, which makes him sound stupid. I don’t really think that Yankee fans wouldn’t vote for a guy because he was a Red Sox fan. I do think that they would not vote for a duplicitous politician.

I’m not trying to incite another abortion argument here, but it sure seems like Richardson has no clue about any of the Supremes he’s talking about. And to think, this is the best the Dems have (as far as moderation goes). He likes Warren and Ginsburg as Supreme Court justices. He also liked White until he found out White dissented on Roe v Wade. Heck, his dissent is very famous for the term “an exercise of raw judicial power.” But unlike Richardson, I’ve not spent my whole life trying to appease North Korean madmen. And Richardson’s claim that White was somehow pro-choice flies in the face of contrary evidence (including his dissents in Roe and Doe v Bolton).

cmay on May 28, 2007 at 2:38 PM

1. You reveal that you are really Kirsten Powers?

That would be some hellafied taqquiya.

Kid from Brooklyn on May 28, 2007 at 3:13 PM

Yeah, the reason for that will become clear next Monday.

Allahpundit

HotAir is becoming a Pajamas Media site, eh?

rokemronnie on May 28, 2007 at 3:24 PM

All the significant stuff in that interview and people can only talk about Baseball??? How about things like:

Democratic presidential candidate Bill Richardson was confronted on “Meet the Press” yesterday with a number of inconsistencies in his record, including calling for a complete withdrawal of U.S. forces from Iraq just 18 months after writing in his book that any such move would “undermine” the Iraqi government….

-Snip-

However, Mr. Russert pointed out that the New Mexico governor had until recently taken a very different position, criticizing any pullout before the Iraqi government could handle its own security. …..

-Snip-

Mr. Richardson has stated in his stump speeches that mother De’on Miller thanked him for increasing the National Guard death benefit from $11,000 to $400,000 and even showed the governor one of her government checks.

However, Ms. Miller says the conversation never took place, telling the AP: “I don’t know a person rich or poor that would be told that” her “only living child has been killed, and you’re going to strike up a money conversation? Bill Richardson needs to stop pushing this lie. Aaron’s name had better not be used again in any way. Not mine either. A full written apology is due me for this.”

Mr. Richardson declined to apologize yesterday on “Meet the Press” but did promise to stop using her son’s name in campaign events, saying that he and Ms. Miller “just have different recollections.”

LegendHasIt on May 28, 2007 at 6:01 PM

RW,

Oh, I hope you’re wrong about that.

Krydor on May 28, 2007 at 1:55 PM

I don’t actually have any inside knowledge, but I am attempting to make a claim as if I do. And while I agree, and hope it’s not true, I wanted to throw that claim out there so I can pretend that I’m psychic or that I did have some sort of inside knowledge, if it does happen.

RightWinged on May 28, 2007 at 7:17 PM

Oh and by the way, I already stated my feelings on the Sox/Yanks comment… and while we (the Sox) are actually playing Cleveland right now, I just wanted to brag that Curt Schilling just struck out the side in the first inning. Not only is it relatively difficult to have 1-2-3 innings, it’s even more difficult to strike out the side, and even more difficult to do it in the first inning, and you’d think even more difficult when you’re one of the “old” men in the game, especially when Cleveland is one of the best teams right now.

RightWinged on May 28, 2007 at 7:20 PM

Until this interview, I felt like Richardson was the lesser of all evils in the dems. Now, there is not one single dem candidate that I could stomach as president.

csdeven on May 29, 2007 at 12:04 AM

flipflop: “File this under Pandering, Political.”

Pandering, Sorry Excuse for
Ear, Tin
Charisma, Zero
Sox!, Go

JM Hanes on May 29, 2007 at 1:04 AM

This proves he is out of touch with reality, at least in Red Sox nation.

Alden Pyle on May 29, 2007 at 6:40 AM

I still can’t figure how Richardson manages to hide his soc*alist tendencies from so many potential voters. His speeches, his written statements, his record of accomplishments all identify him far left.

Add his almost allergic aversion to the truth, and it’s amazing he could become a state executive anywhere outside of Massachusetts.

Freelancer on May 29, 2007 at 8:43 AM