Good news: Vermont bans idling by schoolbuses to slow global warming

posted at 2:23 pm on May 27, 2007 by Allahpundit

Thereby reducing greenhouse gas omissions by .000000000000000000001% or some number thereabouts.

They believe the children are our future. They’ve taught them well, and now they’re letting them lead the way:

Gov. Jim Douglas used six pens Friday to sign his name to a bill that will ban school buses from running their engines while parked on school grounds, except under special circumstances.

Seated in the library at Browns River Middle School, Douglas rewarded a seventh-grade social studies class for its efforts on behalf of the bill by coming to the students to transform the legislation into law. He handed the pens he used to five students who led the lobbying effort and their teacher, Patty Brushett.

“This is a great step forward for our state,” Douglas said, listing benefits such as fuel conservation, improved air quality and reduction in greenhouse gases…

George Crombie, secretary of the Agency of Natural Resources, joined Douglas for the ceremony and presented the school with a sign to post by the driveway.

“These signs will go to every single school,” Crombie said. The red sign reads, “Please turn off your engines for our health.”

Comments

My husband and I honeymooned in Vermont 7 years ago and they had “no topping off” signs at the gas pumps.

KelliD on May 27, 2007 at 2:28 PM

Who’s got ten bucks that the school received 14 copies of “Lies of Convenience” (or whatever it’s called) from the Soros Foundation?

HerrMorgenholz on May 27, 2007 at 2:29 PM

I imagine that will change the second Vermont is blanketed in snow because of some freak storm that seems to show up every year.

Krydor on May 27, 2007 at 2:42 PM

its all about feeeeeling good

Defector01 on May 27, 2007 at 2:47 PM

I want a Vermont Teddy Bear, then I’ll feel better.

Kini on May 27, 2007 at 2:56 PM

OH man…now I have that hideous song in my head.

jjjen on May 27, 2007 at 2:56 PM

A law?!?!

So, is cold weather a “special circumstance?” I hope so, or we’re going to have some kidcicles on the bus every day of the winter while that heater is off. Also, hot weather should be another “special circumstance” if the bus has AC.

askheaves on May 27, 2007 at 2:57 PM

I guess the bar for what constitutes a “great step forward” is pretty low in Vermont.

Labamigo on May 27, 2007 at 3:09 PM

Labamigo on May 27, 2007 at 3:09 PM

What about idling cows? Must stop the idling cows!

SouthernGent on May 27, 2007 at 3:13 PM

Lessee… most school buses are diesel. Diesels run at optimum performance only when they are hot. Diesels take a while warm up and while they are warming up their pollution efficiency is really bad.

So, we trade one type of polluting for another. And in such a way as to maximize startup/cool-down wear and tear on our bus engines.

But it looks good on paper, and the Gov. gets to use 6 special pens to sign it. And the Gov. gets a ton of free press.

Lawrence on May 27, 2007 at 3:18 PM

Lawrence on May 27, 2007 at 3:18 PM

You beat me to my point but stated it better anyway.

These morons are completely devoid of common sense.

infidel4life on May 27, 2007 at 3:32 PM

Yep… strike another blow against common sense by the enviros…

Dam I wish they’d learn basic physics… and research things… sad…

Its like the Ethanol thing… costing the taxpayer to subsidise it, and there is no benefit to the environment. Add in that its driving up food prices, and we have to truck it instead of using pipelines… and once again a feel good “popular” thing is a net environmental loss…

Its like most recycleing… read the stinkin studies… it usualy takes more energy to ship it and recycle it than we gain. Currently here in Denver they have TWO garbage trucks… one of recycling, one for trash… every stinkin week… for THREE different trash companies who work my area… wow… that good for the environment…

BAH…

Romeo13 on May 27, 2007 at 3:46 PM

how retarded

Opinionnation on May 27, 2007 at 3:49 PM

Why not go all the way and ban school buses altogether and make the kids walk to school?
Just look how much pollution that would save.

Gees, What a bunch of dorks.

1sttofight on May 27, 2007 at 4:03 PM

Gov. Jim Douglas used six pens Friday to sign his name to a bill

Thereby adding to global warming the same amount the bill is saving.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on May 27, 2007 at 4:16 PM

I mean no offense to any Vermonters who might be present – but damn, is there a more worthless state in the union?

I mean, the state itself is nice. Pretty scenery. Decent skiing. Good maple syrup.

But the political cabal that is Vermont? Ugh. Even with John Kerry and Ted Kennedy, Massachussetts still can’t compete with Vermont for sheer stupid moonbattery.

Professor Blather on May 27, 2007 at 4:36 PM

Why don’t all those Vermonters give up their second homes? Isn’t one home enough for them? Or should we rather be telling all those New Yorkers and Massachusetters to give up their weekend digs for the sake of the envrionment and our children’s future? Think of all that extra fuel they are using to commute to them, heat them, construct the places, etc etc.

naliaka on May 27, 2007 at 7:21 PM

It’s ok if I burn all my gas, man. It’s like natural, man. Well not in California where The Man adds all his fascist chemical additives to it, man.

Peace out, 4.20 a gallon.

– The Cat

MirCat on May 27, 2007 at 7:25 PM

naliaka on May 27, 2007 at 7:21 PM

Do you see how the lies of the left has us all nipping at each other ? The environmental fascist have us all looking at each other to see what the other has, and if you car is too big or your house is too big or if you just seem to be living too well then you are demonized because you are damaging the environment. WHAT AS LOAD OF CRAP !!!

GLOBAL WARMING IS A LIE AND A SCAM AND A FRAUD, and you can own ten houses if you want and if you can afford it and your not going to damage the environment even a little bit.

We have got to stop this finger pointing at people for doing nothing more than living the American Dream….. you do remember the “American Dream” don’t you ?

We need to tell the Leftist enviros to just SHUT UP and STUFF IT… there is NO GLOBAL WARMING and the environment is JUST FINE !!

Maxx on May 27, 2007 at 10:40 PM

Got to wonder how many of those busses are deisel powered…

Oh, well, they will find out when the drivers are ordered to turn ’em off so much.

$ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $

The Machine on May 27, 2007 at 10:51 PM

KelliD on May 27, 2007 at 2:28 PM

I’m kind of a rebel and when I see a sign that says not to top of my tank, I’m guarantee you I’m gonna squeeze the handle again.

wytammic on May 28, 2007 at 12:49 AM

I apologize… I also apologize for the steady stream of “Impeach Bush” bumper stickers I saw throughout the day here today. There are a lot of variations. I saw the “A village in Texas is missing its idiot” and one that just has the date of Bush’s last day in office. I’m surrounded by it folks.

RightWinged on May 28, 2007 at 1:18 AM

If one of the kids catches the flu and crokes can we give the Darwin award to his parents for living in Vermont and putting up with this policy?

Bill C on May 28, 2007 at 2:34 AM

I do believe those that go to this extent with global warming are of the CULT MINDSET. That is just a wacko thing to buy into…every little move you make.

Yes, folks, a cult can be more than just a god centered wacko religion..it can also be a pseudo science religion too!

Highrise on May 28, 2007 at 3:28 AM

vermont would also rather pass this legislation and protections against cross dressers…vs. actually enacting jessica’s law.

vermonters..rise us..this is pure bullshit! Protect your children!

Highrise on May 28, 2007 at 3:41 AM

Scape-goat-mania.

I reckon you’re missing about a dozen zeros in that estimate Allah.

Aylios on May 28, 2007 at 7:31 AM

By the way guys, aside from the fact that I’m ashamed of this (among other things that go on up here), I have to point out what I believe this is about, more than it is really trying to help “global warming”. Obviously the benefits would be insignificant. They might argue that it’s to lead by example… What it’s really about is brainwashing the next generation. These kids will grow up with this being drilled in to them. It’s bad enough that “global warming” is taught like a religion in school, but at least as kids get a bit older, those who aren’t fully brainwashed and have intelligent parents can argue with the teachers about it. But now they’re hitting them on the bus with worse propaganda than they’re getting in the classroom.

RightWinged on May 28, 2007 at 1:44 PM