Video: Sony’s paper-thin, flexible mini-television

posted at 2:35 pm on May 25, 2007 by Allahpundit

It’s been awhile since we had some Friday gadget awesomeness on this site, no? This turned up on YouTube yesterday and has since been making the rounds; the technology is called OLED, short for “organic light-emitting diodes,” and it works by firing an electrical current through different types of organic molecules to spark a chemical reaction that generates light. The nuts and bolts are here if you’re curious. If you’re not, you’ll probably want to click here anyway and see how just thin the set is and how sharp the contrast remains even at an extreme angle.

It uses less power than a normal set too, so expect this to get the fluorescent lightbulb treatment once it’s affordable enough that the greens feel safe to start regulating.

Ray Kurzweil’s been predicting for years that computers will eventually be embedded in clothing, eyeglasses, etc. Consider this a basic prototype of what the monitors will look like.

Comments

Paper thin hmmm? Cool. Sorta about the size of Cheryl Crow hinney wipe. Now I can tune in Keith Obberman and wipe my ass with him all at the same time. Talk about killing two birds with one stone….

soulsirkus on May 25, 2007 at 2:40 PM

Screw this. I’m still waiting for my flying car…

…and fem-bot. Really hot fem-bots.

natesnake on May 25, 2007 at 2:42 PM

That’s pretty awesome. I can’t imagine what the world will be like in a 100 years – technology wise and assuming there is still a planet at all.

Friday gadget awesomeness on this site

Been even longer since we’ve had some good humpin’ robots *sigh*

lorien1973 on May 25, 2007 at 2:46 PM

I would love to have a couple of these stapled to my wall. Wonder if we will get the chance to enjoy them before our new Global Governors ban electricity in the name of saving the planet.

RushBaby on May 25, 2007 at 2:58 PM

I wish she had said “Godzilla” just once.

Hening on May 25, 2007 at 2:59 PM

embedded in clothing

I can’t think of any “logical” place to implant a TV on clothing….

heatherrc77 on May 25, 2007 at 3:01 PM

Does this mean the teletubbies were fake?

Buck Turgidson on May 25, 2007 at 3:05 PM

Now, if they’d only start broadcasting something worth watching…

ulyses on May 25, 2007 at 3:14 PM

I can’t think of any “logical” place to implant a TV on clothing….

How about moving anti-anti-war slogans and movies?

eforhan on May 25, 2007 at 3:15 PM

Great……a commercial on every package label. Open the ketchup and BAM a Heinz(kaf)commercial…..Open the milk carton and it is another ‘eat more chikin’ commercial.

Glad I am about 70% thru with the trip. I’ll leave Blade Runner to the grandkids.

Limerick on May 25, 2007 at 3:18 PM

I can’t think of any “logical” place to implant a TV on clothing

Cloaking device. Mwahahahaha.

Darth Executor on May 25, 2007 at 3:24 PM

Screw this. I’m still waiting for my flying car…

natesnake on May 25, 2007 at 2:42 PM

Um..there IS such a thing…it’s called a (bunny ears quote fingers)”plane”.

tickleddragon on May 25, 2007 at 3:25 PM

Sorry, natesnake…couldn’t resist. Forgive?

tickleddragon on May 25, 2007 at 3:26 PM

STE uses a pitted organic film. I wonder if there are problems with it decomposing over time?

Kevin R on May 25, 2007 at 3:31 PM

How about moving anti-anti-war slogans and movies?

eforhan on May 25, 2007 at 3:15 PM

Well, I can only imagine what the anti-war radicals would do to someone displaying anti-anti-war slogans on their body.

heatherrc77 on May 25, 2007 at 3:33 PM

Sorry, natesnake…couldn’t resist. Forgive?

*smiles and opens arms for a big hug*

I can’t stay mad at you. Come here little fella!

natesnake on May 25, 2007 at 3:39 PM

Awesome.

Indeed.

Lawrence on May 25, 2007 at 3:42 PM

Graft one of these onto the inside of each eyelid and you’ll be able to close one eye to read SMS text messages from HQ, then switch to the other eye to review the plans of the bunker you’re about to infiltrate, all while keeping one eye on the road so the car chase doesn’t end in disaster.

Kralizec on May 25, 2007 at 3:52 PM

Heh, cool. How long will it be till people start plastering these things on everything and pumping ads 24/7? I’m seeing walking and rolling billboards everywhere.

Bad Candy on May 25, 2007 at 3:53 PM

…the technology is called OLED, short for “organic light-emitting diodes”…

The greens shouldn’t have a problem with this, since it’s organic.

Kralizec on May 25, 2007 at 3:54 PM

natesnake,

Screw this. I’m still waiting for my flying car…

Better get your checkbook out then…………$500,000.00 deposit of $10,000.00 deliver date slightly after 12/31/08

flying car for natesnake…..

doriangrey on May 25, 2007 at 3:57 PM

Cloaking device. Mwahahahaha.

Darth Executor on May 25, 2007 at 3:24 PM

Women can video tape their eyes and play it on loop. Just put the TVs on their Chest and presto! Instant eye contact!

Tim Burton on May 25, 2007 at 4:22 PM

Great. Another medium for prOn. I can just imagine the centerfolds…

robblefarian on May 25, 2007 at 4:27 PM

Can Firefly-paper be far behind?

Uh oh, I guess that means, the Earth is getting close to “used up”.

Anil Petra on May 25, 2007 at 4:57 PM

hmmm sunglasses and wireless internet Blogging while driving!

Nice :D

-Wasteland Man.

WastelandMan on May 25, 2007 at 5:02 PM

*smiles and opens arms for a big hug*

I can’t stay mad at you. Come here little fella!

natesnake on May 25, 2007 at 3:39 PM

hehe…nice.

tickleddragon on May 25, 2007 at 5:14 PM

Bad Candy on May 25, 2007 at 3:53 PM

“Good afternoon, Mr. Yakamoto. How did you like that three-pack of tank tops you bought last time you were in?”

John from WuzzaDem on May 25, 2007 at 5:48 PM

I think if this were cheap enough, organic, etc. If this degraded in a few years, maybe cheap enough to just replace, toss away.

I can see big sheets of these for wall paper, ever changing. Perhaps the Military can use this to camouflage people and equipents, put big sheets of this over a big field and it will look like a field without equipment.

StuLongIsland on May 25, 2007 at 5:55 PM

I wanna monitor I can tape to the wall in front of my keyboard. Now!

bdfaith on May 25, 2007 at 6:00 PM

I’m trying to work out how that could be on my clothes somewhere where I could watch it comfortably. not working out too well. Arm or back of the hand, but not for more than 10 minutes if i have to hold it up and hold still.

Awesome, nonetheless. Is the screen clear when not fired up?

I’ve got it…flip down from the lid of a baseball cap.

TexasDan on May 25, 2007 at 6:32 PM

Is it water-proof so I can mount one to the wall in the shower?

- The Cat

P.S. Video post cards, Adds on figureskater’s butts, something to bring the hitchhiker’s guide to the galaxy into reality.

MirCat on May 25, 2007 at 7:14 PM

Was Kurzweil thinking of “clothes” of this kind of “material” that would change “designs” daily (hourly?) and thus be a universal [blank] costume.

Not necessary for viewing a program, per se, but for a new look at will [depending on the software].

Call it SoftWear?

(Somebody registered that as a domain name, already, for mere fabric clothing, but there are open varients – like SOFTWORN.COM- for anyone wanting to start in on the mixed wearable / moving-image biz.)

As a flexible screen, alone, it depends on how soon they can embed a receiver, because then this would be a pocket-sized video device for wifi t.v., movies, etc.

Armlet/armband video terminal for computer screen/tv/movies?

profitsbeard on May 25, 2007 at 9:36 PM

Armlet/armband video terminal for computer screen/tv/movies?

profitsbeard on May 25, 2007 at 9:36 PM

How about security personnel who can monitor CCTV while on foot patrol?

Buck Turgidson on May 25, 2007 at 10:30 PM

Buck T.,

Exactly!

Once you have to portable possibility, the uses logically follow.

profitsbeard on May 25, 2007 at 11:09 PM