Audio: The pro-amnesty hotline

posted at 9:59 pm on May 24, 2007 by Bryan

We received emails about this all day, but being on the road prevented me from posting anything about it until now. Here’s the story: There is a hotline that has been set up to allow pro-amnesty Spanish speakers to call their senators to voice support for the “comprehensive immigration reform” currently being considered in Congress. The hotline’s number is 800-882-2005, and is answered by a very helpful recording that instructs its callers to say “Support immigration reform that protects families and workers” in English. It also automatically tells you your senator’s name and after a couple of button pushes, connects you straight to your senator’s office. I tried it today and got through to my senator’s office in less than a minute by pushing 1 when the recording started and then 1 again a few seconds later.

If you’d like a little perspective on just how useful this number is, just trying getting through to your senators through the capitol switchboard. Grab a snack, because you’ll probably be there a while.

Here’s a rough recording of one of the calls I made to test the line. Give it a good half minute after the initial Skype beeping to hear the line pick up and the recording kick in.

The hotline is paid for by something called the Coalition for Comprehensive Immigration Reform and it’s being blasted to pro-open borders groups all over the country. The hotline gives its callers access to their senators that average Joes don’t have.

Well, until now anyway. I used it to register opposition to the immigration bill. Thank you, CCIR!

More: I forgot to mention that if you hit a 1 first and then a 2, you should get your junior senator. A 1 and then a 1 gets your senior senator.

Update: Michelle has been digging around a bit to find out where the CCIR gets the money to set up this hotline and do the other things it does. I don’t want to spoil the surprise, so just head on over there and check out the last update to her post.

Comments

Damn right it worked and I don’t speak a lick of spanish. I left a message telling my senator I was leaveing this message through a hotline phone number that is being given to illegal aliens. I wasn’t happy that I have a hard time getting to him, yet illegals can get right through.

And BTW, the senator I got, is the one who voted for this bill. I did not get my senator who opposes this bill. Is that what you call nuance?

csdeven on May 24, 2007 at 10:08 PM

Reminds me of RE4

HEHEHEHEEEAHAHAHAA!!!!

We’ve jacked the line…

Good call Bryan, people oughta start calling from there. BWAHAHAHAA!

Bad Candy on May 24, 2007 at 10:09 PM

Oh, and you’re reading this, be respectful if you’re calling, no friggin slurs, seriously! They use that stuff against you, and gives RINO tools like Lindsay Graham ammo.

Bad Candy on May 24, 2007 at 10:12 PM

For English, press 2

Kini on May 24, 2007 at 10:15 PM

I just sent this link and info to Steve Gill here in Nashville. He has been on this topic all week and am SURE he will use this! Naturally I gave BIG props to MM and HA and asked him to do the same!
Maybe that hotline will be flooded with calls they didnt anticipate! I certainly will!
GREAT info and THANKS!
SPREAD THE WORD!

labwrs on May 24, 2007 at 10:17 PM

I just sent this link to the John & Ken show, KFI (they love MM, btw) – millions of listeners.

Entelechy on May 24, 2007 at 10:25 PM

Heh, labwrs, thinking alike :) Keep on fighting!

Entelechy on May 24, 2007 at 10:25 PM

I won’t bother. A waste of time dialing the number to get Kennedy’s office.

Resolute on May 24, 2007 at 10:32 PM

I just called but the office of Feinstein is closed….not even an answering machine. What a coward. I will call in the morning and since I am bilingual, they’ll get a NO SUPPORT in both languages.

sharinlite on May 24, 2007 at 10:38 PM

Bad Candy on May 24, 2007 at 10:12 PM

Now you tell me.

So that reference to “butt-sniffing maggot” on Graham’s phone will somehow be a bad thing?

Jaibones on May 24, 2007 at 10:50 PM

Be careful calling, likely the only thing they’ll do is count the total number of calls and use that false statistic to declare how many are in favor of the bill.

The Machine on May 24, 2007 at 10:56 PM

sharinlite, the office of Sen. Feinstein is closed because it was earlier bombarded by an action of the John & Ken show, in response to her saying in the Washington Times that she only got 8000 calls against shamnesty, when she’s looking for 30,000 for Californians to make the case to her that they oppose it.

J & K took her up on it and eventually the hacks in her offices got mad, overwhelmed and simply forwarded all the calls to v-mail boxes, which overflowed shortly after. Scroll down a little here, to see what’s happening.

Entelechy on May 24, 2007 at 10:57 PM

Mr. Voinovich, a supporter of this POS (ask Boehner), just got a nice little surprise on his VM. Nothing foul, but blunt. Who’s got the over-under on whether I get a call back?

HerrMorgenholz on May 24, 2007 at 11:10 PM

Morgenholz, they’ll send you a canned, “Its not amnesty, these aren’t the droids you’re looking for” response.

Bad Candy on May 24, 2007 at 11:16 PM

My senator’s mailbox is full…we’ve got a flood of illegals taking constructions jobs away from long-time workers…so he’s probably getting an earful.

JustTruth101 on May 24, 2007 at 11:32 PM

Well, I guess I won’t bother calling Feinstein, then. What about Boxer?

Bob's Kid on May 24, 2007 at 11:39 PM

Bob’s Kid, we’ll have to call them both in the morning. J & K have a link, see above, from their site with all senators’ numbers.

Entelechy on May 24, 2007 at 11:50 PM

Callers who’ve gotten through to Feinstein earlier said that the operatives on the phone are snooty, talk over the callers with “it’s not amnesty”, and whatever the callers say, they respond with “you’re entitled to your opinion”. The callers said to just keep talking over them to get the point across, lest they say “I have another call” and hang up on you.

Entelechy on May 24, 2007 at 11:53 PM

Where CCIR gets their funding: The Atlantic Philanthropies.

”We Are America” : Achieving Comprehensive Immigration Reform

At the end of 2005, there were an estimated 11 million undocumented people living and working in the US. This large group represent some of the nation’s most vulnerable and disadvantaged people.With no rights, these people live in the shadows and are subject to discrimination and violations of their basic human rights on a daily basis. Many undocumented live in mixed families, and the fear of retribution and deportation stymies the whole family from access to basic services.

As it stands today, the US immigration system is ineffective, unrealistic and inadequate.In order to address the needs and
rights of both the undocumented population and the future flow of immigrants, the country needs comprehensive reform of its current immigration laws and policies. The present US political landscape provides a short yet important window of opportunity for passage of reform legislation.
Purpose and Impact of the Grant

The Coalition for Comprehensive Immigration Reform (CCIR) is a joint legislative advocacy and grassroots mobilization initiative begun in 2003 with the mission to enact rights-centered comprehensive immigration reform legislation in the US.This coalition effort is guided by a core set of rights-based immigration principles and priorities, including: a path to permanency for the undocumented, family re-unification and labor protection for future flows.

Atlantic has made three grants to date in support of this effort: a planning grant in the amount of $100,000, and two core support grants, one in 2004 which was renewed in 2005, totaling $7m.The initial planning grant enabled these twelve advocate groups – from labor, community development, ethnic identified groups, national immigration advocacy, and regional immigration coalitions – to come together at a common table and set a coordinated agenda and strategy.The two core support grants enacted this strategy – through advocacy, lobbying, communications, message and media development, grassroots mobilization and education efforts. To widen the reach and coordination of this “inside/outside” strategy, a sister 501(c)(3) coalition, The New American Opportunity Campaign, was created by the CCIR.
Grant Data

* Project: Immigrant Rights
* Programme: Reconciliation & Human Rights
* Region Served: United States
* Grantee: Coalition for Comprehensive Immigration Reform
* Amount Awarded: $4,000,000
* Year Awarded: 2005
* Duration: 24 Months
(31 Aug 2005 to 29 Aug 2007)

Speakup on May 25, 2007 at 12:13 AM

Isn’t there some way you can rig a computer to call a number thousands and thousands of times? Hell, at least make these bastiges pay through the nose for setting up the phone line!

jaleach on May 25, 2007 at 12:20 AM

How appropriate! They get to cut in line to our Congress, too!

SouthernGent on May 25, 2007 at 12:41 AM

I don’t know…something tells me they’ll use those numbers to their advantage, the bastardos.

tickleddragon on May 25, 2007 at 12:43 AM

As Tom Paine said (in The Crisis):

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace.”

Let’s bring on the trouble, now.

By phone, by vote, and by a new party, if the polipimps continue to ignore the will of the people.

profitsbeard on May 25, 2007 at 1:37 AM

I hope you didn’t make him cry.

Coyote D. on May 25, 2007 at 2:06 AM

Does anyone else find it strange that Bush is supporting a bill that Soros is supporting?

Isn’t that like Bush and Osama working together to get Patriot Act passed?

Tim Burton on May 25, 2007 at 2:22 AM

Well, I feel like I’m fighting a tsunami.

But you gotta give these Open Borders / Illegal Alien Invader Amnesty people credit: They sure can organize when it is to their great benefit. Too bad they don’t put that much effort into learning English and trying to assimilate.

I used the number above to call both my Senators, (for all the good it will do; They both want amnesty, even though one is usually a good solid conservative, and the other one isn’t a total moonbat even if he is a Dem.). It is amazing to me that you can get through so quickly.. Sure, you have to listen to a one minute message in spanish and press 1 or 2… But dang, It is harder to get through to my local police department to report shots fired.

Geeze, and I thought I was depressed about this before….

LegendHasIt on May 25, 2007 at 6:27 AM

We should ask our senators how they can (1) claim that this bill promotes enforcement of the border (2) vote to keep sanctuary cities, which they did 49-48, including several Republicans.

They must have a really low opinion of the intelligence of the American people.

januarius on May 25, 2007 at 9:16 AM

I won’t bother. A waste of time dialing the number to get Kennedy’s office.

Resolute on May 24, 2007 at 10:32 PM

You are Soooo correct! what a joke, Im glad my grandparents arent around to see this disgusting display of contempt for their hard efforts to attain citizenship.

Viper1 on May 25, 2007 at 9:29 AM

Same here. Contacting Comrade Murry and her sidekick from here in peoples republic of Washington state will be a waste of time.

I am curious as to how this illegal alien group gets special treatment and a direct line to the Seantor’s offices while us poor stupid taxpayers have to go through the switchboard…

CrazyFool on May 25, 2007 at 10:38 AM

I tried it and got connected with Sen. Spector’s office. The guy on the phone was rather surprised when I told him how I got through to him. He’d heard of CCIR, but had no idea they set up this hotline. I gave him the number. I told him, “Yeah, I listened to a few lines of Spanish, pressed 1 a few times, and you answered the phone.”

“Who answered?” he asked.

“You did!”

We talked for a few minutes about my opposition to the bill, and he was very cordial and attentive.

CurtZHP on May 25, 2007 at 10:55 AM

Just used it and got right through. The young lady who answered in Sen Chamblisses office was vvery nice and did not know how this group linked to their office. She also said the senator doesn’t support amnesty and when I told some of the statements Chambliss has made in public and the fact that he sat on the committee that drafted this bill she responded with “We will let the Senator know your views”
Folks you need to call and register your complaints and let them know you don’t like the fact that a Pro Amnesty group could set this up.
/fuming doesn’t begin to express my feelings.

LakeRuins on May 25, 2007 at 10:56 AM

Hey, another thing…..

The beauty of this is that because it’s an 800 number, the pinheads who set it up are the ones paying for us to use it at cross purposes to their agenda.

Sweet!

CurtZHP on May 25, 2007 at 10:58 AM

I am calling my HINDER off YEAH!!!!!
Both Senators in under 20 MINUTES
ROCK ON!!!!!!
sorry my “Caps Finger” is riding high today….

that was soo fun!

Please folks Like Bad Candy said Be respectful and just ask them to represent YOU! by asking them to secure the borders!
and say no to amnesty!

-Wasteland Man.

WastelandMan on May 25, 2007 at 11:29 AM

I’m so shocked (not) that these poor people that just want to come here to work have such a well-oiled system already set-up for them.
I’m beginning to think that the only way we can defeat this travesty, is to elect people and a president who are willing to rescind this bill.

moonsbreath on May 25, 2007 at 11:41 AM

I’m in Kennedy/Kerry country, neither care what I, a mere commoner, think about this issue.

In fact, His Highness Kerry is on his way to Nantucket as I write, he was on Wttk 96.9 bragging about it. Nice breeze on the sound right now, too bad noone else can afford the gas to get to Woods Hole and catch the ferry.

Though I’m sure he’ll take a private flight over, he and Luhvee wouldn’t be caught dead standing in line with the peasants.

Alden Pyle on May 25, 2007 at 11:43 AM

I also want to thank Michelle for connecting all the dots on this organization and that one big dot is none other than George Soros and his open society.

moonsbreath on May 25, 2007 at 11:43 AM

Heh, I called anyway and got through to KENNEDY’s office in less than 15 seconds, I $#!t you not.

Said my piece, gave my zip and effectively wasted 30 seconds of my life.

Alden Pyle on May 25, 2007 at 11:52 AM

The #1, #2 trick didn’t work for me I couldn’t get Kerry’s office, but he’s windsurfing by now, anyway.

Alden Pyle on May 25, 2007 at 11:58 AM

Hey big surprise! Senator Kerry has not yet taken a position on the bill. haha. Fortunately Senator Kennedy has though so I have been driving them NUTS! I know that its all a waste of breath but listening to the tools on the other end of the line trying to explain to me how this bill is not Amnesty is a riot! Another question that was a riot to ask was will the passing of this Amnesty bill result in more or less traffic at the borders? They didn’t know wheather to continue arguing about the definition of Amnesty or lie about how the borders are going to be enforced this time around. I asked them to give me one reason why I should believe them that the borders will be impassable and the laws will be enforced this time around. THEY COULDN’T GIVE ME AN ANSWER! I was astonished with the weird honesty in regards to that question so I just simply said, “and that my friend is why this Amnesty bill is a scam and a disgrace.” It was so fun to walk them right into that trap. This state is doomed now that Romney is gone.

Zetterson on May 25, 2007 at 12:26 PM

First, I don’t think they are using super-secret numbers, they are just dialing the local office.

Second, It is a good idea to contact your senator through this line and let them know how you got through on a line designed for illegal immigrants to influence their vote.

Third, I have been trying to fax this number for about a day now via my computer which redials every couple of minutes. I just can’t get that darn fax to go through!

Valiant on May 25, 2007 at 12:53 PM

Perhaps not super-secret numbers, but people have been having a lot of luck quickly getting through to their senators office using these numbers (as opposed to dialing directly).

Also, from a couple accounts, it sounds as if some of the people at the offices are surprised that this system has their number, which makes it seem like the hotline might be dialing a ‘less available’ number than the posted numbers for Senators’ offices.

JadeNYU on May 25, 2007 at 1:23 PM

This is one of those posts that needs a special place on the blog. These posts encourage us – the audience – to participate in a specific way to influence our leadership.
I am sure more have acted on this than have commented. It might be good to have a “participation” counter on these action posts like the counters showing the results of straw polls. Anything to encourage more participation.

The opposition is sure working hard to get their audience to participate and keep participating.

roydee43 on May 27, 2007 at 8:55 AM