Video: Nuclear war erupts on “The View”; Update: Tomorrow will be “a little awkward,” says Elisabeth

posted at 12:52 pm on May 23, 2007 by Allahpundit

With Rosie on her way out I guess there’s no reason for them to pretend they’re friends anymore. Here she is at her disingenuous worst, playing the “big, fat, lesbian” victim while deliberately twisting Hasselbeck’s point about the enemy in Iraq — namely, Al Qaeda — to accuse her of treating Iraqi civilians as the enemy. Or is it deliberate? The more I watch, the more I think she simply doesn’t know that Al Qaeda has a presence there. Hasselbeck should ask her at some point to describe the conflict right now as she understands it. Does she think we’re still fighting the Iraqi army, or just randomly attacking bands of civilians? That would go a long way towards explaining why she blames Bush for having killed 655,000 people while of course stridently insisting that she doesn’t think U.S. troops are terrorists — even though they’re the ones who are presumably guilty of doing the actual killing.

Hasselbeck challenges her on that point too, asking how can she say American soldiers aren’t terrorists when they’re the ones supposedly carrying out the Bushitler’s orders to liquidate Iraqis en masse. Rosie’s response: ignore the question and accuse Hasselbeck of being a bad friend for not mindlessly supporting her when she was criticized on Fox. Things deteriorate quickly from there, culminating in the two of them calling each other cowards.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything like this on broadcast TV. Be thankful I spared you the four-minute stump speech for Al Gore delivered by Behar that preceded it.

Coming up tomorrow, the paradigm case of bad facts making bad politics: Truthermania.

Update: They’re still friends but things are bound to be a little weird tomorrow, says Hasselbeck. Rosie claims she won’t be there tomorrow as it’s Kelli’s birthday. Which I guess means Truthermania is postponed.

Comments

a split screen
new brilliance
yes i said brilliance
thanks for asking

The Ugly American on May 23, 2007 at 7:43 PM

If Rosie or Joy would ever let Elisabeth speak…she might be able to get some facts in to discredit the dribble the other two spout…the minute they see she is making a good point, making them look like the idiots they are, they scream/screech to drown her out.

“Rosie stupid” I like that.

CCRWM on May 23, 2007 at 7:48 PM

Wait, didn’t I just call the “I am sick of being cast as the fat, mean, lesbian”?

Why, yes, I did:

Someone there has a sick sense of humor, constantly dressing up that lovely creature in white, angelic attire, and then seating her next to fat, nasty, ugly, brainless Rosie, apparently for contrast.

It’s like type-casting gone mad.

I refuse to go to the Fever Swamps, but I suspect that they must just fume over there about the way their heroine is cast as a Pig-Devil.

Jaibones on May 21, 2007 at 5:02 PM

Jaibones on May 23, 2007 at 7:48 PM

This can’t help the lefties out there. EH is so hot and Rosie is so not. Rosie is so defensive when she describes herself as the dumpy lesbian.

Mojave Mark on May 23, 2007 at 7:48 PM

I enjoyed watching Elizabeth take on Rosie. That was good. What bothered me was Joy, I wish she would shut up and let Rosie and Elizabeth have at it. And if Joy kept grabbing my arm like she did Elizabeth’s every 2 minutes, I would have smacked her.

vcferlita on May 23, 2007 at 8:03 PM

Regardless of opinion on AC vs. AP

I love HotAir and AP is the main reason why. But Ann is Ann. Come on.

JayHaw Phrenzie on May 23, 2007 at 8:18 PM

Rumor is Rosie Miss Piggie is quitting after today. Waaah. Now I guess she’s going to be the victim. You watch. Before it’s over, she’s going to be the victim of a VRWC.

SuperManGreenLantern on May 23, 2007 at 8:22 PM

That “big fat lesbian” line is so absurd. She proudly owns the big fat lesbian persona, 99% of the time. (“One square? Has she seen my ass?”) And now she’s acting like it’s hurting her poor widdle feelings?

Elizabeth does look very pretty. Not sure if it’s pregnancy or Rosie in her rearview, but it’s definitely working for her.

Tanya on May 23, 2007 at 8:25 PM

If Hasselbeck is Pregnant then Maybe shes gotten Hormonal enough to raise the Smackdown on Rosie!

Why does this post merit 200+ comments btw????

…weird

-Wasteland Man.

WastelandMan on May 23, 2007 at 8:37 PM

Elisabeth Hasselbeck really showed her METAL in that segment. She is really a pleasure to watch. You know the old saying ‘You have to watch out for the quioet ones’. I hope someone from the HA team at least networks with her. She is POWERFUL!

sonnyspats1 on May 23, 2007 at 8:39 PM

(sp) quiet

sonnyspats1 on May 23, 2007 at 8:41 PM

So, I watched it. What a waste of everything. These four are simply brain-depleted theatrical broads. No exceptions. Barbara is still the idiot, right after the even more brain-deficient audience.

This show, if it sticks to such serious topics, in this forum, is an insult to humanity and all which is good in it.

Entelechy on May 23, 2007 at 8:59 PM

have to wonder if ABC Legal told Ro to STFU about Blackwater. She could easily “explain” that the 650k were slaughtered by the “mercenaries” from Blackwater and not the poor impoverished brainwashed over-extended troops. The moonbat talking points are there, she just isn’t using them. There must be liability attached to statements that employees of a corporation are murdering pregnant women like EH.

rw on May 23, 2007 at 1:46 PM

Blackwater could and probably should sue ABC/RO/Babs Walters if that was said. They are not a Government agency and therefor can fight in court to protect their good name.

TBinSTL on May 23, 2007 at 9:19 PM

Elisabeth is simply glowing with this pregnancy. That was always the best part.

ctmom on May 23, 2007 at 9:37 PM

Rosie is a confirmed Bully. Period. What a lot of people do not know is that when you confront a bully they don’t know quite what to do. “You have been my friend since September” she whines, hoping that Liz will back off a little but Liz hangs on like a pit bull. Rosie, freeks out because she is not in charge and calls herself a big lesbo who is picking on a little christian girl and Liz still does not back down. Rosie looses. Poor big fat turd! Can’t even imagine being in her camp.

NEMETI IN SYRACUSE on May 23, 2007 at 9:40 PM

Entelechy on May 23, 2007 at 8:59 PM

Yeah, you’re right, but I am taking any victory against that fat lesbian vampire bat by EH whenever I cvan get it. I, and others, have been praying EH would just go nuts on Fatty one day and let her have it. To me, watching that was like watching the Red Sox win the WS after umpteen decades. Pure bliss.

csdeven on May 23, 2007 at 9:42 PM

EH’s pause when that digusting pig asked her if she believed Rosie thought the troops were terrorists, well that was just priceless.

Fatty: “Do you believe that I think the troops are terrorists? Yes or no.”

EH: Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh

ROFLMAO!

csdeven on May 23, 2007 at 9:45 PM

Tomorrow the ‘oh I’m sorry episode’ (with a cut to Rosie as she sticks her tongue out at Ms.E.)

Limerick on May 23, 2007 at 9:49 PM

O’reilly Factos is all over this.

Exit question: Why isn’y MM on the factor tonight instead of *yawn* ‘ole Whats his name?

JayHaw Phrenzie on May 23, 2007 at 9:51 PM

In a posting on her blog, O’Donnell wrote: “a split screen, new heights, or lows, depending on who u ask.”

new highs or lows
or heights and depths
depending on WHOM you ask. WHOM you ask. just because you’re blogging in whacky prince font doesn’t mean you’re absolved of proper grammer. oh, but you’re a member of the “smart” party….

wryteacher on May 23, 2007 at 10:35 PM

Will this convert me into becoming a regular viewer, isn’t that what the advertizers want to know?

naliaka on May 23, 2007 at 10:40 PM

Lizzy has never impressed me and she certainly did not impress me with this encounter. She ain’t that smart.

Rosie is as Rosie does. I expect nothing but insanity from her mouth.

If Lizzy is the best we got…………..We’re screwed.

Talon on May 23, 2007 at 10:42 PM

I quit watching this show when they elbowed Lisa Ling off the set. She got treated as a token and the patronizing tone was silly. She has gone onto do some great work with National Geographic and a special (forget which network, CNN maybe) in which she went undercover into North Korea. Awesome reporting and lots of guts on her part.

Bradky on May 23, 2007 at 11:07 PM

Okay, Kasich is a nice guy… but wtf is he doing on the Factor tonight? Surely Michelle does a better job and gets better ratings? Did you just need a day off Michelle? I’m just catching the rerun now and hoped that if Bill was still off, we’d still get to have you… instead we’re stuck with Kasich, who, let’s face it, is quite boring and not the quickest on his toes. They will be talking about this Rosie situation (I’m catching the 11pm reairing) and I just hope he makes points that need to be made, and doesn’t give the detached deer in headlights vibe he sometimes does.

RightWinged on May 23, 2007 at 11:12 PM

Rosie is like a rabid dog. Going aroung foaming and fuming, lashing out at all that doesn’t agree with her. I’m pretty sure that neither one(Rosie or the dog) has any clue as to what they’re doing.

sMack on May 23, 2007 at 11:30 PM

Heh. Look at the latest post on rosie’s blog. A little taste-

People like Rosie and others who have been branded as eccentric and outside the main stream are always fair game. They do it with many others who speak truth to power by carefully portraying sound bites out of context. They have done that to Noam Chomsky and Gore Vidal for years.

Ahh……truth to power. Still makes me laugh.

forged rite on May 24, 2007 at 12:34 AM

Fatty: “Do you believe that I think the troops are terrorists? Yes or no.”

EH: Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh

ROFLMAO!

csdeven on May 23, 2007 at 9:45 PM

Careful, slurs aren’t allowed….

Tim Burton on May 24, 2007 at 12:43 AM

This was posted at 6:26PM on Wed. 5-23-07 on TMZ.com. Interesting that the quotes taken from Rosie’s blog cited by TMZ have mysteriously disappeared. Suggests someone may be “handling” the self proclaimed “big, fat, loud lesbian”.

TMZ.com:
Did Rosie O’Donnell and Elisabeth Hasselbeck’s ballistic warfare this morning push Ro over the edge — and into an early exit from “The View?”

O’Donnell has three weeks left before she’s done, but from the sound of her blog at rosie.com, even that might be too long for her to handle. “It may be time to be done,” was what she wrote this afternoon, after the brutal verbal bashing she and Elisabeth smacked-down on one another, while also suggesting that it should be Elisabeth, not she, who should apologize for the dust-up.

Rosie clearly wasn’t happy with producers of the show, who saw fit to split-screen the shouting match in flagrante, which made for riveting television, but unquestionably ratcheted up the rancor. “It was sickening,” wrote Ro.

Rosie said she wouldn’t be going to work tomorrow, but a “View” rep tells TMZ that O’Donnell scheduled the day off to celebrate partner Kelli’s 40th birthday — and that’s all.

I was curious as to what a certain person would post on her blog today. I found out. I think this is proof she reads HotAir.

a split screen
new heights
or lows
depending on who u ask
PattyAnn on May 23, 2007 at 3:33 PM

I’ve noticed that Rosie’s blog has not allowed viewer comments for several weeks and now doesn’t even allow viewers to ask her a question. If Rosie does read HotAir, I’ve got a question for her: Hey Ro, who’s the coward?

NightmareOnKStreet on May 24, 2007 at 12:46 AM

Finally got a chance to watch it (outside of work). Ro kept with the “your my friend” crap – with friends like Ro, who needs enemies. I have to hand it to Elisabeth, she finally put her foot down. Ro complains about what the Republicans say (and Fox), and calls Elisabeth a coward, but yet fails to acknowledge that Elisabeth is the only conservative in that entire building (including the audience). She is all alone on an island there, and still speaks her mind. My respect for Elisabeth just went up significantly.

Rick on May 24, 2007 at 1:03 AM

When EH let loose with the Trump card, the audience reaction and Rosie’s shocked look was amusing.

Ripclawe on May 24, 2007 at 1:25 AM

Wow, nice to see Liz grow a pair of Malkins! She may have joined the Firecracker Sisterhood with that exchange. An actual Firecracker would have to sponsor her though? (MM?)

But wouldn’t it be funny if the whole thing was a brilliantly executed exit ratings ploy? I mean, it seemed like real emotion, and it got HUGE play today, but I still wanna know what Babwa Wawa knew and when she knew it. Oh right, she wasn’t there, so she’s innocent.

;)

Im_no_dhimmi on May 24, 2007 at 1:25 AM

ps: Firecracker Sponsor would also need to equip Firecracker Sisterhood plebe with bigger guns & more ammo (in your spare time, of course.)

Your mission, should you choose to accept it…

jj

Im_no_dhimmi on May 24, 2007 at 1:49 AM

I think Rosie was hitting on Elisabeth.

JackM on May 24, 2007 at 2:14 AM

Bradky on May 23, 2007 at 11:07 PM

Agreed. And she was hot.

Jaibones on May 24, 2007 at 2:56 AM

“It was sickening,” wrote Ro.

The first time Rosie can’t use sophomoric one-liners and emotionalism to win an argument and she’s done.

Typical bully.

John on May 24, 2007 at 3:52 AM

“You tell me not to use facts because you want me to go only on emotion. Guess what? I like facts!”

awesome.

emmaline1138 on May 24, 2007 at 4:45 AM

“Big, fat, lesbian, TRAITOR, Rosie” gives aid and comfort to the enemy.

georgej on May 24, 2007 at 5:12 AM

I think the English word “Termagant” best describes Rosie, after watching her behavior with Elizabeth. I can definitely see Muslim terrorists worshiping her:

Termagant- 1. a violent, turbulent, or brawling woman. 2. (cap.) a mythical deity, understood in the Middle Ages to be worshiped by the Mohammedans, represented in some morality plays, etc., as a violent overbearing personage.

januarius on May 24, 2007 at 7:12 AM

Rosie O’Lardarse is a big fat lesbian? And she won’t be working today because it’s Kelli’s birthday? Weeelllll….I’ll betcha old Rosie was charging her batteries all night to celebrate the birthday girl today!!!

lynnv on May 24, 2007 at 8:01 AM

Add self-aggrandizing elitist.
How many husbands and wives are so wealthy to be able to take a full day off work to celebrate their spouses’ birthdays?
Just one of the “gliterrati” shoving a number of things in our faces.

naliaka on May 24, 2007 at 9:12 AM

It’s too bad EH doesn’t have any amunition. She says she likes facts, she needs to throw some facts in RO’s face and see how she deals with them. If Michelle was there instead of EH, there would be nothing left of Rosie but a pile of goo. Now THAT would be entertainment.

Privatestock on May 24, 2007 at 9:27 AM

Just one of the “gliterrati” shoving a number of things in our faces.

naliaka on May 24, 2007 at 9:12 AM

I’d normally agree with you, but it’s the 40th birthday party. Nearly everyone who has a career also has vacation days. That’s a birthday I think most people would take a vacation day for.

I would. In fact, I’m considering taking the day off for my husband’s 25th. I’d have to make the time off, but it’s still something I’m considering.

Esthier on May 24, 2007 at 9:51 AM

Maybe, but they do tend to kill homosexuals, so they’d have to get past that part. Unless they mistake her for a man.

This isn’t, by the way, an insult on her looks but more a comment on how she behaves.

Esthier on May 24, 2007 at 9:53 AM

I know. She said she likes facts, but continued to repeat the debunked 655k number more than a few times.

lorien1973 on May 24, 2007 at 10:01 AM

O! Fleshy monster!
The Queen of Nice lies dead
Deep in your colon

saint kansas on May 24, 2007 at 11:47 AM

my new hero…..who is coaching that girl????

jjjen on May 24, 2007 at 12:05 PM

Here’s a fact I would like to see Rosie and those like her explain. Saddam was killing his own people by the millions for decades. I don’t recall this ever being a concern to them then. But all of a sudden, our troops are terrorists and they never mention or will talk about what was going on in that country before we went into Iraq. That makes their “innocent civilian” argument moot. They care only when it behooves their purpose to care. Pfaw.

Glynn on May 24, 2007 at 12:25 PM

RightWinged on May 23, 2007 at 11:12 PM

Maybe Michelle’s ratings are just a little to high for Bill.

Had a friend, years ago, fill in for Rev. Shuller “Hour of Power”, he pulled in big numbers, great ratings, lots of complimentary letters…and was never invited back to the pulpit again.

right2bright on May 24, 2007 at 12:39 PM

Did anyone watch the show this morning?
Was Rosie there?
Were the Loose Change truthers on?
Enquiring minds want to know.

PattyAnn on May 24, 2007 at 12:48 PM

Me too. I’ve been waiting for a view update all day. (how very sad)

lorien1973 on May 24, 2007 at 12:59 PM

I haven’t watched the show since RO became a part of it.
Accordingly, I missed this snub of Elisabeth yesterday by guest Alicia Silverstone. I could not believe she would be so rude, obnoxious, ill-mannered and uncouth to Elisabeth. It was far more embarassing to Alicia than to Elisabeth.

PattyAnn on May 24, 2007 at 1:22 PM

Scary that there actually is such a site.

Sorry, no Ro on show. No Truthers either. Supposedly, the show was pre-empted by the President, which should keep the Truthers foaming at the mouth for years to come.

BohicaTwentyTwo on May 24, 2007 at 1:35 PM

PattyAnn on May 24, 2007 at 1:22 PM

Meeeeowwww!

csdeven on May 24, 2007 at 1:42 PM

wryteacher on May 23, 2007 at 10:35 PM
…just because you’re blogging in whacky prince font doesn’t mean you’re absolved of proper grammer

Isn’t it g-r-a-m-m-A-r? Minus 5 for spelling, teach.

sibobr on May 24, 2007 at 1:44 PM

I think Rosie was hitting on Elisabeth.

JackM on May 24, 2007 at 2:14 AM

Didja ever catch the first episodes of Rosie on the View? The only one I saw was a stand up thing (can’t remember what they where showing off). I do remember Rosie couldn’t keep here hands off Elizabeth. Touching Elizabeth’s shoulder and arm over and over again. Elizabeth was ignoring it, but it was pretty creepy to watch, and haven’t watch an episode since.

Lawrence on May 24, 2007 at 2:24 PM

Maybe Elizabeth has a backbone after all…

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on May 24, 2007 at 3:00 PM

and the comments still rolling in
AP, I do think you should send Rosie some flowers : )

abinitioadinfinitum on May 24, 2007 at 3:02 PM

Nothing like a good shot of HCG to bring out the best in a woman. I have never been the same since I had babies. And I wouldn’t take it back for anything. But now I weep more for the future. God help us all.

seejanemom on May 23, 2007 at 7:04 PM

Yep. Same here.

4shoes on May 24, 2007 at 3:27 PM

I haven’t watched the show since RO became a part of it.

PattyAnn on May 24, 2007 at 1:22 PM

How freaking rude! I didn’t watch the show but I saw the link you posted. Rude!

Glynn on May 24, 2007 at 3:32 PM

I think I found the first “The View” episode. NOT

Hey Rosie is an atheist right? Allah’s buddy!

Drtuddle on May 24, 2007 at 3:32 PM

Hey Rosie is an atheist right? Allah’s buddy!

So, using that logic, does that make all of you Christians best chums with Fred Phelps?

JayHaw Phrenzie on May 24, 2007 at 3:40 PM

Rosie’s first episode on The View

Taking her “medicine” Maybe she is skipping doses?

Drtuddle on May 24, 2007 at 3:47 PM

Poor Elizabeth, having to put up with the O’Donnell Troll every day! Ugh!

The O’Donnell Troll really is an ugly, ignorant, stupid, naive, fool who I only watch from threads on Hot Air such as this one. Every time I do watch a thread it reminds my why I don’t watch the View – and reminds me to ask Hot Air to publish the names of their sponsors every time they slime my screen with such a creature.

Having a list of “The View”‘s and the O’Donnell troll’s sponsors would make getting my screen slimed worth it – at least one time anyway.

omegaram on May 24, 2007 at 7:05 PM

Alicia Silverstone: What a rude pig. It is always ironic how has been actors (Sean Penn) and actresses (Alicia Silverstone) known for being airheads and playing them on the screen (Clueless, Fast Times) feel they have to grovel towards liberals and diss conservatives in order to show liberals they aren’t really dumb in real life. . .thus proving how dumb they actually are.

januarius on May 24, 2007 at 10:41 PM

When will these people just go away?

Connie on May 24, 2007 at 10:42 PM

My take only: this is put up job! Why, I don’t know. Maybe to get some sympathy for Rosie? Why does this Elizabeth open her mouth now and talk for more than 10 seconds? Why does she keep repeating the same thing over and over and over and over. Why does the other bimbo, Joy, allow this to go on? Where is Baba Walters? This is fishy. It smells to high heaven.

sharinlite on May 24, 2007 at 10:47 PM

When it comes down to an argument between a reasonable, beautiful girl and an hysterical, loopy slob, I tend to go for the former.

Call me crazy.

Call Elizabeth foxy.

(And call Rosie “Soo-eeey!”)

profitsbeard on May 24, 2007 at 11:39 PM

Lawrence on May 24, 2007 at 2:24 PM

That is creepy, makes you wonder..with Elisabeth being prego and all.

rosie is such scum…horndog wench.

Highrise on May 25, 2007 at 3:21 AM

I realize this adds nothing to the discourse, but dang, Elisabeth is an attracive woman. Even in the screen cap where her face is all crunched up in anger and Rosie’s bloated visage is probably reflected in her eyes ….Elisabeth is STILL dang hot.

I never liked Rosie from day one. From way back in her stand-up career. She was always chomping on gum. Her huge jowls were constantly in motion. Ugh. Gum chewing is not a pleasant thing to see. Rosie’s insecurity is transparent and her means of dealing with it do not merit her any pity.

Montana on May 25, 2007 at 1:07 PM

It is OFFICIAL

ABC has just announced that Rosie O’Donnell will not be back on ‘The View.’

Brian Frons, President of ABC Daytime, issued the following statement: ‘We had hoped that Rosie would be with us until the end of her contract three weeks from now, but Rosie has informed us that she would like an early leave. Therefore, we part ways, thank her for her tremendous contribution to ‘The View’ and wish her well.’

Rosie has now confirmed SHE IS THE ‘COW’ARD. When challenged she RUNS!

ordi on May 25, 2007 at 3:36 PM

Go Elizabeth!!!

opusrex on May 25, 2007 at 6:53 PM

Why in the world does anybody watch that pathetic show? Doesn’t anybody have any rusty nails to hammer into their eyes instead?

Doghouse on May 25, 2007 at 8:29 PM

Rosie sucks…I think it’s funny in the end, Elisabeth got the last word in her career there LMAO.

Highrise on May 28, 2007 at 3:20 AM

rosie, I hope you are reading this, you ARE the coward. Payback is a bitch eh?

Highrise on May 28, 2007 at 3:30 AM