Flashback video: Edwards pledges unity throughout this “war on terrorism”

posted at 1:52 pm on May 23, 2007 by Allahpundit

From October 2001, in response to a question from O’Reilly about the war widening to Iran, Syria, Libya, the Sudan — and Iraq, in the person of Saddam Hussein.

You can thank Patrick Ishmael and the squad at News Buckit for digging it up. Silky’s pronouncement this morning that the term “war on terror” is nothing more than a “bumper sticker” is getting lots of attention, but I’m not sure why. He made his opinion on the matter crystal clear weeks ago at the debate and he’s shown before how far he’s willing to go to pander to the nutroots (among whom this sort of thing is received wisdom), first by hiring some of their most objectionable members for his campaign and then of course by throwing a tantrum over Fox News getting to host one of the primary debates. This appearance on the Factor is one of 33 he made on the network between August 2000 and the moment he decided he couldn’t win without the support of the most reactionary part of the left-wing base.

Expect to see this clip make its way up to Drudge, who’s leading with Edwards right now, sometime this afternoon.

Update: Note only did Edwards refer to a war on terror/terrorism in his 2004 nomination acceptance speech, so did Waffles.

Comments

Wow!

Thanks Patrick; nice find.

Today’s mission: Force some surrender monkey to watch this until they have the dialog memorized.

fluffy on May 23, 2007 at 2:01 PM

similar to what Dan Rather said on Letterman on 9/17/01, except Rather said explicitly we needed to take out Saddam and made a mistake not doing so in first gulf war.

jp on May 23, 2007 at 2:01 PM

Clearly filmed before he upgraded to the $400 hair cuts and it shows. Who says you don’t get what you pay for?

TheBigOldDog on May 23, 2007 at 2:02 PM

LOL pwn3d.

Two Americas, one where people believe the War on Terror is real, on one where they believe it’s a “bumper sticker slogan.”

Edwards apparently lives in whichever is politically expedient at any given moment.

Citizen Duck on May 23, 2007 at 2:02 PM

I believe he is playing for 2012 and that by then America will need a ‘New Deal’ to crawl back out of some imaginary hole he is digging for it. I don’t think either Obama or Billary will be putting the VP tag on him.

Limerick on May 23, 2007 at 2:11 PM

That will be $55,000 dollars, please.

bloggless on May 23, 2007 at 2:15 PM

That will be $55,000 dollars, please.

bloggless on May 23, 2007 at 2:15 PM

LMAO….but for Edwards two cents I wouldn’t pay a wooden nickel…

soulsirkus on May 23, 2007 at 2:25 PM

FYI: Edwards has a stake in the $500 million pirate ship discovery.

amerpundit on May 23, 2007 at 2:26 PM

Has the United States ever had such a sniveling incincere twerp enter into the the political picture? This guy is just a complete disgrace.

Zetterson on May 23, 2007 at 2:27 PM

He’ll get about $50 million for the discovery.

amerpundit on May 23, 2007 at 2:28 PM

I think Osama just added an “Edwards 08″ bumblersticker to his car

William Amos on May 23, 2007 at 2:37 PM

No War on Terror Here! I stick my head in the sand, so I can’t even kiss my butt goodbye, when the “Not-a-Terrorist Islamic-Extremist” comes knocking on the door . Bye-Bye Edwards, maybe your hairdresser can kiss it for you!

No Clash of Civilizations here.

Edwards will not be the candidate that the Democrat Party selects. While his endless charade of pretending to be a common man, this rich elite can only appeal to the most liberal elements of the party.

A bumper sticker, How About, He is Better than King Edward because he give a S!

Oxybeles on May 23, 2007 at 2:38 PM

amerpundit on May 23, 2007 at 2:26 PM

Is this guy one lucky SOB or what?

TheBigOldDog on May 23, 2007 at 3:05 PM

Youtube is going to change politics.

It isn’t the choice of the MSM what they wnat people to remember anymore. And it’s visual. It will be an interesting election cycle.

Rightwingsparkle on May 23, 2007 at 3:07 PM

Since that gold and silver was stolen from native Americans I wonder if John will be returning his share to the rightful owners?

TheBigOldDog on May 23, 2007 at 3:13 PM

An important companion piece for this:

MATTHEWS:Let me ask but the war, because I know these are all students and a lot of guys the age of these students are fighting over there and cleaning up over there, and they’re doing the occupation.

Were we right to go to this war alone, basically without the Europeans behind us? Was that something we had to do?

EDWARDS: I think that we were right to go. I think we were right to go to the United Nations. I think we couldn’t let those who could veto in the Security Council hold us hostage.

And I think Saddam Hussein, being gone is good. Good for the American people, good for the security of that region of the world, and good for the Iraqi people.

MATTHEWS: If you think the decision, which was made by the president, when basically he saw the French weren’t with us and the Germans and the Russians weren’t with us, was he right to say, “We’re going anyway”?

EDWARDS: I stand behind my support of that, yes.

MATTHEWS: You believe in that?

EDWARDS: Yes.

MATTHEWS: Let me ask you about-Since you did support the resolution and you did support that ultimate solution to go into combat and to take over that government and occupy that country. Do you think that you, as a United States Senator, got the straight story from the Bush administration on this war? On the need for the war? Did you get the straight story?

EDWARDS: Well, the first thing I should say is I take responsibility for my vote. Period. And I did what I did based upon a belief, Chris, that Saddam Hussein’s potential for getting nuclear capability was what created the threat. That was always the focus of my concern. Still is the focus of my concern.

So did I get misled? No. I didn’t get misled.

MATTHEWS: Did you get an honest reading on the intelligence?

EDWRADS: But now we’re getting to the second part of your question.

I think we have to get to the bottom of this. I think there’s clear inconsistency between what’s been found in Iraq and what we were told.

And as you know, I serve on the Senate Intelligence Committee. So it wasn’t just the Bush administration. I sat in meeting after meeting after meeting where we were told about the presence of weapons of mass destruction. There is clearly a disconnect between what we were told and what, in fact, we found there.

MATTHEWS: If you knew last October when you had to cast an aye or nay vote for this war, that we would be unable to find weapons of mass destruction after all these months there, would you still have supported the war?

EDWARDS: It wouldn’t change my views. I said before, I think that the threat here was a unique threat. It was Saddam Hussein, the potential for Saddam getting nuclear weapons, given his history and the fact that he started the war before.

MATTHEWS: Do you feel now that you have evidence in your hands that he was on the verge of getting nuclear weapons?

EDWARDS: No, I wouldn’t go that far.

MATTHES: What would you say?

EDWARDS: What I would say is there’s a decade long pattern of an effort to get nuclear capability, from the former Soviet Union, trying to get access to scientists…

MATTHEWS: What about Africa?

EDWARDS: … trying to get-No. I don’t think so. At least not from the evidence.

MATTHEWS: Were you misled by the president in the State of the Union address on the argument that Saddam Hussein was trying get uranium from Niger?

EDWARDS: I guess the answer to that is no.

I did not put a lot of stock in that.

MATTHEWS: But you didn’t believe-But you weren’t misled?

EDWARDS: No, I was not misled because I didn’t put a lot of stock in to it begin with.

As I said before, I think what happened here is, for over a decade, there is strong, powerful evidence, which I still believe is true, that Saddam Hussein had been trying to get nuclear capability. Either from North Korea, from the former Soviet Union, getting access to scientists, trying to get access to raw fissile material. I don’t-that I don’t have any question about.

MATTHEWS: The United States has had a long history of nonintervention, of basically taking the “don’t tread on me and if you don’t we’ll leave you alone.” We broke with that tradition for Iraq. What is your standard for breaking with tradition of nonintervention?

EDWARDS: When somebody like Saddam Hussein presents a direct threat to the security of the American people and, in this case, the security of a region of the world that I think is critical.

This is during his last campaign for president, before Kerry got the nomination (and polls told him to pick Edwards as a running mate). Edwards tried to be the southern pro-war Dem when he was still trying to get the nomination, and this bit speaks volumes about what a POS he is in reality. It’s really disgusting that the media won’t bust him on this crap, but at least it’s relatively entertaining to watch Matthews beg Edwards to claim Bush misled him, and Edwards consistently refusing to say it.

RightWinged on May 23, 2007 at 3:15 PM

Sorry for the repeat from my comment on another thread, but one can only express this in so many ways

He needs to get the two $400 hair cuts, his 500 million hedge-fund gain and his $55,000 for a speech about poverty off the headlines – lest he lose his main yammering point against the working and for the dependency lot. The only time he’ll realize there is a war on terror is when his pretty face, which is attached to that $400-coifed head is on a jihadi block. By then the rich and the poor won’t care any more.

Entelechy on May 23, 2007 at 3:26 PM

Robert Spencer’s JIHADWATCH has this also.

shooter on May 23, 2007 at 3:27 PM

You guys don’t fool me! Chances are that the video clip was uploaded to YouTube by Carl Rove himself!

Ropera on May 23, 2007 at 3:36 PM

RightWinged on May 23, 2007 at 3:15 PM

Nice find, RW. I’d forgotten the hawkish Edwards persona.

They count on that don’t they? Us forgetting, I mean.

BacaDog on May 23, 2007 at 3:38 PM

Nice find, RW. I’d forgotten the hawkish Edwards persona.

They count on that don’t they? Us forgetting, I mean.

BacaDog on May 23, 2007 at 3:38 PM

Lucky for Edwards liberals take a pledge (when they sign up) to either be idiots or dishonest, so Dem politicians will get away with this stuff all day long.

RightWinged on May 23, 2007 at 3:44 PM

hahahaha!!!

Bill O needs to stick that one right up Edwards elitist a$$!

csdeven on May 23, 2007 at 3:52 PM

Zetterson on May 23, 2007 at 2:27 PM

YEP. Twice. 1988 and 2004.

csdeven on May 23, 2007 at 3:56 PM

His toes were crossed!

Drtuddle on May 23, 2007 at 3:58 PM

No, no, no.

He said it in hillary-ese: “Ize fer it, til I wuz agin it.”

He’s a man of the people sheeple, doncha know….

locomotivebreath1901 on May 23, 2007 at 4:02 PM

You can just see the hand of the nutroots on Silky’s reins, can’t you? Is there anything here but a $2,000 suit and naked ambition?

Jeffersonian on May 23, 2007 at 4:28 PM

You can’t blame him. Didn’t you see? His hair was a little off that day, so he was unable to think straight.

Opinionnation on May 23, 2007 at 4:32 PM

You know…

Al Gore charges in his new book that the administration was at fault for Americans believing that Iraq was involved with 9/11. This is a claim that Richard Clarke, Joe Wilson, and basically every Democratic hack has made for years.

It isn’t true, because 78% of Americans believed that Saddam played some role in the attacks on September 13, 2001 – the day that Osama bin Laden was announced as the man behind the attacks.

Yet we had John Kerry on TV saying that we should expand the war on terror to Saddam. We had Rather say so? Who else did we have saying so right after 9/11?

Wouldn’t it be funny if the people accusing Bush of fooling Americans into believing Iraq had a role in 9/11 were actually the ones doing it themselves? It would make for quite a devastating video montage if it could be put together….

Seixon on May 23, 2007 at 5:14 PM

Zetterson on May 23, 2007 at 2:27 PM
YEP. Twice. 1988 and 2004.

csdeven on May 23, 2007 at 3:56 PM

HAHA!! The Oompa Loompa and The Turtle.

tickleddragon on May 23, 2007 at 5:31 PM

For it before he debunked it.

The Ritz on May 23, 2007 at 5:32 PM

Seixon,

No wonder you are a legend, how dare you offer such rational and logical suppositions.

doriangrey on May 23, 2007 at 5:34 PM

A Bad Heir Day.

Of his own b.s.

profitsbeard on May 23, 2007 at 7:33 PM

Wait a minute. Edwards thinks actual policy should not be based on “bumber sticker” slogans? He must have just announce he was leaving the Democratic party because there is no way a liberal could say that with a straight face.

Resolute on May 23, 2007 at 8:13 PM

How dare he change his mind on something! Doesn’t he know that once you’re in the public eye you have to hold your views for the rest of your life? If you don’t people will get confused and make posts on blogs about it!

Nonfactor on May 23, 2007 at 10:28 PM

How could he have known the way Bush would divide us?

Alex K on May 23, 2007 at 10:32 PM

How dare he change his mind on something!

Yeah, that’s our Silky. A true man of conscience, whose reversals of opinion incidentally coincide with trends in public opinion polls. If this were dKos and they were running a comparable clip of a Republican, you’d be hooting your ass off. What a hack.

Allahpundit on May 23, 2007 at 10:37 PM

I wonder how much that haircut cost.

Maxx on May 23, 2007 at 11:42 PM

Wow. What a ride to first have my video embedded by HotAir and then picked up by Drudge.

Just the mere thought that in some small way I helped discredit a presidential candidate or that I got John Edwards to curse CaptiousNut, has put a smile on this part-time, self-amusing blogger’s face that won’t be fading anytime soon.

CaptiousNut on May 25, 2007 at 8:22 AM