Body dressed in U.S. military pants and boots found floating in Euphrates; Update: Bodies of two other soldiers found?

posted at 9:03 am on May 23, 2007 by Allahpundit

He was shot so many times in the head and torso that they can’t identify him yet, but naturally they suspect it’s one of the three missing soldiers. Iraqi passersby say the dead man looked “western” and had a tattoo on his left arm.

The Tribune is reporting that the body wasn’t decomposed, which, given the fact that he was in the water, means he must have been killed very recently. Ironically, finding him actually creates some hope that the other two are still alive.

Let’s hope there’s some resolution soon, one way or another, because the search is proving lethal.

Update: It sounds like they might have found the other two.

Iraqi police forces in Babel province found on Wednesday two bodies believed to belong to two of the kidnapped U.S. soldiers near al-Furat river in al-Musayab region, 50 km northwest of Hilla, a police source said. “Two bodies in U.S. uniform were found by Babel police forces near al-Furat river. They bore signs of torture,” the source, who asked not to be named, told the independent news agency Voices of Iraq (VOI). “The police handed the bodies to the U.S. army and cordoned off the area,” he also said. No comment was available from the U.S. army on the incident.

Comments

It is way past time to unleash the dogs of war !

DoctorDentons on May 23, 2007 at 9:53 AM

“We don’t torture people because we don’t want them doing the same to our soldiers”. What a pathetic reason, apparently our efforts not to torture produce these kinds of results. These animals will do anything and everything simply because that’s all they are … animals. They need to be hunted down and killed, but oh so slowly.

darwin on May 23, 2007 at 10:13 AM

I am dissapointed that these types of stories are released before confirmation can be made to the families. I guess it’s to be expected with a free press, but dang if they don’t need to learn some tact.

csdeven on May 23, 2007 at 10:20 AM

Send ’em Pelosi and Reid.

Griz on May 23, 2007 at 10:21 AM

Bless the souls of these soldiers… And bless their families.

lostinfrance on May 23, 2007 at 10:30 AM

And just where, oh where, are the human rights advocates yelling and screaming about torture?

Romeo13 on May 23, 2007 at 10:32 AM

I was so hoping for a happy ending.

I hope the Red Cross and Human Rights Watch strongly condemn this. I’m sure their statements are coming any minute now.

CookeyD on May 23, 2007 at 10:35 AM

Wonder what McCain thinks about this, given his no torture riff during the last debate?
csdeven– agreed. I’m even more dissapointed that the military-even Petraeus- feels the need to go running to the press without even knowing what’s going on yet. Anyone think it was a great idea to publicly speculate that they believed 2 of 3 were alive? A nice little something extra for the families to wonder about-‘which one of the three that’s dead is mine’?

tomk59 on May 23, 2007 at 10:36 AM

Prayer…then revenge!

soulsirkus on May 23, 2007 at 10:37 AM

You know according to McCain the only reason our soldiers were subjected to brutal torture and death is because we waterboard terrorists in order to extract information that could save American lives.

Zetterson on May 23, 2007 at 11:05 AM

There will be no outrage on the left. Only those of us that love our country and love our soldiers will be outraged. The left is too afraid of their own shadows to have an opinion that doesn’t amount to appeasement. Let’s keep these families in our prayers.

JustTruth101 on May 23, 2007 at 11:50 AM

It is way past time to unleash the dogs of war !

DoctorDentons on May 23, 2007 at 9:53 AM

As usual, the first comment in the thread sums up my feelings pretty well.

Let them fight. Really fight. Or bring them home. I prefer the former.

I’ll just leave it at that and offer a salute to Sgt. Ski … an E-5 (at least!) at 22! Impressive – although I guess promotions are quicker these days, for all the wrong reasons.

22 year olds I know are, well, just about useless. No offense to any 20-somethings in here … you probably aren’t the type I mean anyway.

But Sgt. Ski was already an NCO at 22, leading men in combat, already earned a Bronze Star and a real (as in, non-Kerryish) Purple Heart.

Our soldiers are just so damn impressive. And our politicians at home – and too many of our citizens at home – are just so NOT impressive.

Sigh. Rest in peace, Ski.

Professor Blather on May 23, 2007 at 12:14 PM

Being an E5 at the age of 22 is not at all uncommon, even when I was in. ( I retired in ’99)If you join at the age of 18 and are in the infantry that is about average. These young men and women are making life and death decisions every day in their early 20’s while those who protest them in streets that are about the same age are only worried about where to obtain the latest cheat code for their new video game.
It was for that reason when I became a civilian I wanted a job with no responsibilty or decision making authority. It didn’t exactly work out way.
My prayers go out to the families of these service members and I feel a great empathy for the long suffering they have had to endure.
I also pray the left does not try to make some sort of sick twisted poster children out of this tragedy. Stick the blame where it belongs and the folks who only crime was being American.

LakeRuins on May 23, 2007 at 12:27 PM

Prayer…then revenge!

soulsirkus on May 23, 2007 at 10:37 AM

Just gonna fix that a little:
Prayer then JUSTICE!

Revenge is what the jihadis do. We want pure justice. Justice isn’t always a court matter, it can be delivered via the battlefield.

naliaka on May 23, 2007 at 12:31 PM

This is heartbreaking news.

moonsbreath on May 23, 2007 at 12:47 PM

Revenge…Justice..at this point, I’m for either!

tickleddragon on May 23, 2007 at 12:48 PM

Prayer…then revenge!

soulsirkus on May 23, 2007 at 10:37 AM

I say we torture and kill 1/2 of those at Gitmo! It is the Chicago Way!

Tim Burton on May 23, 2007 at 12:51 PM

The whole place needs to be bulldozed into the ground along with most of its inhabitants.

Viper1 on May 23, 2007 at 1:00 PM

Just gonna fix that a little:
Prayer then JUSTICE!

naliaka on May 23, 2007 at 12:31 PM

Justice; the action, practice, or obligation of awarding each his just due. Correct you are naliaka.

Revenge; the act of inflicting or the intent to inflict injury in return for injury.

Not sure about you but I prefer for us to inflict injury first and reward due later….

soulsirkus on May 23, 2007 at 1:04 PM

I lived there from 2003 through end of 2005, its gone from bad to just unreal. My vote is to just blow the dust off all the B-52’s and carpet bomb the triangle. Then build a wall along the southern border of Kurdistan, to include Kirkuk, pull all our troops into Kurdistan (where we are appreciated)have Jordan close their border and just let them kill each other off. There is no value to human life there. ZERO.

KineticJustice on May 23, 2007 at 1:58 PM

My heart goes out to their families.

We really need to kick this whole operation up a notch. Make them hurt.

4shoes on May 23, 2007 at 5:25 PM

Cleanse this region with fire. Clamp down on the entire area so hard that the insurgents can’t breathe. Force them to fight and kill them. Punish them with the utmost prejudice.

Tantor on May 23, 2007 at 6:08 PM

From now on, let the waterboardings be done with pigs’ blood.

Kralizec on May 23, 2007 at 7:09 PM

Patton put it best:

Do not mourn that such men died, but thank God that they lived.”

The rules of engagement should change to: rules of conquest.

Playing nice with these subhumans only gets you mangled.

Cordon off the “Triangle of Death”, and make it so.

profitsbeard on May 23, 2007 at 7:30 PM

What happened to my posting of 11:00am?

georgej on May 24, 2007 at 12:22 AM